Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Real life hearings, Jools, very retro. The employment tribunal is still firmly video link. 

Tr, yes that's my thought re Manchester. I may have to put it all into Berlin. Lewis didn't seem overly concerned and felt I could be in good shape for Manchester, but also said if I'm not, the work we do now will stand me in good stead for later in the year. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    OO: it's easier in a lot of ways when you're there, as you can turn around and take instructions quickly from your client rather than having to mute/leave the video hearing and have a quick video conference or phone call, it's just I've got so used to not having to travel at all!

Rest day this morning as I overslept.  I might go for a run later, but it's a bit grey and uninviting.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I did not go for a run, as I ended up working until gone 7pm.  7 miles this morning in very thick fog.  Running over the Clifton Suspension Bridge you couldn't see the far side, nor the river below.  It really was a feet in the clouds moment - quite discombobulating!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    My Saturday long run had to be shorter this week as I had birthday beers to attend in London with the lads for midday and the trains were a mess. Managed to get 13 miles done and another 5 yesterday to register 51 for the week.

Rest Day today as I've had 6 days in a row. Doubles start this week, would have been last week but I was attending the funeral of a friend who left us far to soon, he was only a year older than me, a terribly sad day.

Bagged 202 miles for January, my biggest Jan ever. Hope you're all running well?
    How's that injury, DT ?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gdawg, sorry to hear about your friend. 

You're getting some consistently bigger miles in recently. What's the plan with doubles?

But hitting the bike hard still. Run yesterday was 6 x 5 minutes off 1 minute walk. Still a little bit of tightening in the area but much better than a few days earlier. 5 x 6 mins tomorrow then a bit more physio which will hopefully see me over the line. All being well then I have 6m solid on Thursday to hit the circa 45 min mark. If that goes OK, should be safe to progress up the miles quite quickly then. 

I'd have probably done that by now left to my own devices and I think Lewis is being over cautious but I guess until I come back from a run and say it felt perfectly normal, then I can see his point. Frustrating as I just want to go out for a run! 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sounds good, DT, progress on running. Hope the 6 goes well on Thursday.

Doubles are a means to increasing volume and spreading the load. Worked really well on the London campaign when I would do 6 easy trail miles before work, then a track session in the evening (around 10 or 11 hours later). An easy way to bag 12 miles the day after the Tuesday 10. Also means I can possibly have a rest day before the Saturday LSR.

I read many accounts where runners increased volume to go sub-3, so I did that for London and it worked. Have heard others say it since so will apply the same method again.
    One difference for this campaign will be a better taper before the raced HM at Wokey. Glutes are improving but still slowing me on the faster sessions, I need to be careful before a proper race to avoid ruining the final 5 weeks of the campaign.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes it is a decent way of increasing volume without being out for long periods in one hit. 

Wokey is perfectly timed for Manchester in most ways, but of course the risk of injury 5 weeks out is an issue as you'll do well to recover in time. 

Anyone see that nike released a new race shoe, the streakfly on Friday.basicslly a vaporfly version advertised for 1m to 10km. Much lower stack at 32mm and very light apparently. Also only £135. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Hey guys...
    DT be patient young man 😉 At least you are improving, that injury could have been a lot worse 🙏
    Sorry about your friend GDawg. I'm at an age where some ex work colleagues and school friends are either dying or getting some serious health issues. It certainly does bring it home.
     Similar mileage for Jan to you around 200 miles, plus a fair amount of swimming. Rounded of the month with a weekend win at talkin tarn parkrun. Yes I know it's not a race 🙄
    The conditions were appalling and a reduced field with few quality runners handed it to the experienced hand 😆 I actually won on a sprint finish which was nice. And the course was 50% off road so all my recent XC stuff must have helped. Sunday was a slow 20 mile plod. I felt awful but got it done.
    I looked up those trainers DT 😍 but already sold out.....

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, well done on the victory! Was it a youngster you beat in the sprint? 

I'm still at the age where the odd person passes away and it's a big shock, though usually there's drink or drugs involved. 

Yes, though a few sharks on ebay selling them on for double money. I hate the way nike do this with a new shoe. Release it with totally inadequate stock levels. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see the progress DT, is that 2 weeks now or 3?

Sorry to hear of your mate Dawg, some yough years ahead for us oldies.

Those shoes sold in in minutes. Probably a market out there for a 5k to 10k shoe, wasted on me, i havt run a 5k in getting on for 10 years and only do the odd 10k as a training race.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Annoyingly my 25% birthday discount from Nike ends today. I might have had those shoes if in stock 🙄
    He was V35 DT so yes just a babe 😆
    I had been behind him for a few hundred meters but couldn't get past on the narrow off road section through the woods. Then we entered an open field with a 50m dash for the finish line. I though he would try to  hang on but he was done in and let me go past. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, mine expired yesterday also, however the shoes did stipulate no discounts or proms applicable. 

I'm surprised at price, cheaper than the alphafly tempo shoe that many use for training. 

Good patient racing!

Tr, this is week 4 now away from normal training, though last week, based on the strava training load, was my highest training week in a few months. 

Went out yesterday and did a continuous 5k. Finding that I'm getting tight and sore at the bottom of my hamstring and top of calf. 

Off out lunchtime for 5 x 6 mins run then sports massage later. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I guess the lack of a full carbon fibre plate makes them a lot cheaper to produce DT but as you say decent price, shame about supply. Good luck with the lunch Run. I’ve got the club GP tonight 3.6 mile blast.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Quiet on here for what ought to be moving to peak mara training? 

I've run back to back days with 4 x 10 mins Thursday off 1 min and 2 x 2 miles yesterday off 2 mins with nothing but nominal hamstring tightening. Going for 5m straight in a bit. 

I've managed to defer Wokingham to next year which saves me just losing the cash. 

I'd appreciate some sensible thoughts on Manchester. There's a marathon at Dorney lake on 24th April, that buys me 3 weeks back and pretty much takes me back to point of injury. I gave a free entry code from runthrough for an age group race win also and its an easy 90 min drive so it's largely cost neutral. 

To throw in another thought, Manchester would be 3 weeks out and I can't get my money back. What if I used that as a peak mixed pace long run. So 8m easy, 3 x 5m at mp off 1m and 1m cd? I appreciate I'm going the full distance but I'd do a similar session to 23m anyway around that time or a 20 miler at probably a much faster overall pace.

I'm yet to put this to Lewis or my wife just yet but thought I'd gauge some initial runner thoughts? 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Good work on the 5K record OO.

Sounds like you're almost recovered DT although a bit slower than you'd like.  Shame about Great Bentley - it will be interesting to see the results.  The person who transferred their place to me was travelling down from the North East!

A good plan with the doubles G-D.

No Great Bentley for me either.  Managed to tear the calf 3 weeks ago after 7K of the planned long run.  Had a week and a half of no running and strengthening work and then began to rebuild the running.  Having to build slowly, so 15 minutes running, 2 minutes walking, 10 minutes running was the last session.  I'm hoping a couple of more days will see me back to running a continuous 60 minutes.  Will be depressing when I see the results tomorrow!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sbd, oh no, that's a huge shame! I'm hoping to see the results stacked with v45 runners sub 80! 

Weather forecast doesnt look great with quite strong winds. 

Hope you get back up soon. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ooh, bad news SBD, i guessed yiur absence was issue related.

DT - id speak to your coach. If you can refund yr manc hotel then maybe sack it off and use the extra weeks for something like MK? Gives you a few more weeks, or do Manc and MK? Good that yourr improving.

Race times wont mean much this weekend, but at least the Bentley folks have places to race for. My issues have settled again, so i have an untapered 10k tomorrow at Chichester, rain and 45mph gusts forecast, i was planning on extra laps of the circuit as wu and wd, but it depends how miserable it is.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, MK is a decent shout actually, buys me an extra week again and more likely to find a deeper field than Dorney. Would also allow me to run Manchester more readily. My hotel is cancellable though. 

Yes, if you are chasing an age group place then you are all equally detrimental. 

Good to hear your getting straight, have fun in that tomorrow.  

My 5m continuous went fine. I'll do 7 tomorrow for a 30m week, which seems to have snuck up on me. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Discussed with Lewis, mk approved and potentially manc as peak training run.

'Piece of cake, now for the wife' in the words of Basil Fawlty. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Get Manuel to let it slip.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Sorry to hear that SBD nothing too serious hopefully 🤞
    Sounds like a good plan DT. Good luck with Mrs T 🤭
    North East XC champs today. Nice easy course with lots of undulating grass hills- resulted in team gold and individual silver in the V55s.

17 tomorrow should bring up 60 for the week which will be the first of the Boston campaign.

• FWIW, I agree with your coach, DT19.  Plus Dorney is very weather dependent as it is exposed: it's either perfect (flat save for a small bridge which links the warm-up and racing lakes) or very windy!  Best of luck with the plan.

Sorry to hear about the calf tear, SBD.  From the rate of your build up, is that a grade 2?  Fingers crossed with some other cardio you won't lose your fitness and (in my more limited experience of grade 1 tears), the strengthening work actually ultimately helped me, albeit experiencing the calf tears was very painful and frustrating at the time.  Fingers crossed for you.

Bit of a busy week, with in-person hearings in Exeter Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and in Bristol on Friday: quite like old times!  I took the view that cycling to and from the station/chambers each day was enough exercise on those days.  I was a bit late leaving yesterday (we had a family lunch with Mr. J's family for Chinese New Year to get to), so only squeezed in 3 miles, and a wind-swept 9 miles this morning.
  • PS: congrats on the silverware and team gold, OO.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope the calf tear is only slight, SBD. I've had a few over the years. Had one for my Paris campaign, invested in some Compressport calf sleeves. They're good for rehab and running. I still wear them when I have training fatigue and slight niggles. Always race in them now after using them in Boston to help with the downhill start miles.

Good miles DT, sounds like progress.
    Solid 60 from OO buy the sound of it. Nice.

Just grabbing miles here. 17 slow ones yesterday and a 6 mile muddy recovery today to register 53 for the week. 
    Weekly totals gradually increasing, just wish my fitness felt like it was too. It'll come.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the victory, oo. 

Sbd, have you had a look at great bently results? Top 3 in v45 were in under 76 mins and 5th was 79, so bearing in mind the conditions, even accounting for fact that not everyone will be after a vest I suspect top 5 would be the line drawn to finding 3 runners who did. I saw v50 second was just under 80. 

So I don't feel too upset now! 

Thanks, Jools, the benefit of paying a coach is having a sense board who can look at things more objectively which helps avoid silly plans. 

Hope the celebrations went well. 

Gdawg, one day soon you'll just go out for a run and it'll have happened. Keep ticking them off. 

I decided to just go with 5m today as that's 4 consecutive days running but switched out to my hilly route just to get more of a workout. Still able to notice hammy in background but it doesn't get worse and if anything by last mile it had eased off. 

Got another very low running week this week though tempted to speak to Lewis about nudging things out a bit, just a mile or so on each run. 

Spoke to my wife, she's agreeable to MK and if deemed OK closer to the time, using Manchester as a training run. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Another run towards full recovery DT.  MK sounds like a good plan.  Third place V55 at Great Bentley came home in 1:26:57.  I think I could have managed that before the calf tear even with the wind!

Good long run and weekly mileage G-D.  The speed will come!  Interesting feedback on the calf sleeves.

A good run in the wind Jools.  I thought it was grade 1 when it happened but given the prolonged recovery grade 2 seems a more reasonable assessment.  Following the last calf tear in August 2018, I had been doing strength exercises in the gym twice a week but these stopped when Covid struck in March 2020 and I've only been doing body weight exercises since.  I may need to get back to the gym!

Good medal haul at the XC Champs OO.  And a good weekly mileage.  Those hills at the XC will do you good come Boston.

A bit more progress on today's run, 20 mins running, 2 mins walk, 15 mins running.  Hopefully back to normal in a weeks time but that will be 4 weeks lost and I've not been doing any other cardio work other than lifting the glass of wine.  So Manchester not looking too good at the moment but I'm pretty relaxed about writing it off and focusing on Berlin.  Will still need a GFA time for London 2023 so may end up joining DT at Milton Keynes.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Not sure if you blokes noticed but MK is a representative vest opportunity (im not just a pretty face), although that means that youd probably have to run York to be able to wear it.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    TR - I noticed!  Although I don't fancy running York I might be happy to run a couple of miles wearing the vest!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sbd, yes you'd have smashed that. You're chance will come soon I'm sure. 

Other than the first 6 days my training load as per garmin stats has not been reduced due to the bike work. With another 30m build up week next week, I'm hoping within a week or two of full training I'll be back in my rhythm. 

Tr, yes I'd noticed that, nice bonus opportunity to race for. Plus given many will be at Manchester or  Brighton in April the field maybe limited. The representative race listed on site is Chester on same day as London. Also the England Athletics site also mentions the top 5 from each age group with qualify ftom MK mara, no explanation why. Looking at last year (which was also a qualifying race) 5th in my AC was 2.51, but not all 5 might have declared interest so you could go back a few places further, particularly as the representative race clashes with London. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    For anyone running MK I hope you like roundabouts 😉