P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• Cheers TR - the mud was on course. Tarmac & XC spikes really don't mix anyway.
    Nice flat 4.5M@8:03 at lunch today - dodged the rain  :)
  • Have fallen behind a bit on the thread, but great to see lots of running still going on. Sounds a good long run from TR. Nice one on the PB, TT. Solid MP>ultra, Macca! Brilliant double from you, Jools. Amazing mental strength in those grim conditions. 

Had a long-standing local XC fixture on Sunday at Pitville Park. Knowing that I would be out late at a friend’s 40th the night before, I didn’t see the point in tapering training at all. 20 on Tuesday and a seven-day total of 74 in advance of the race. 

Anyway, was slightly more ambitious on the drinking front than I anticipated, with a return to a uni-style level of drinking games, downing and generally drunken behaviour. It turns out that I no longer have the skills for this and am still experiencing a once in a decade level hangover. 

Given the context, even getting to the start line the following afternoon felt quite an achievement, especially given the classically filthy weather. 

2M jog warm up, trying not to be sick. Shake of the hands with Jools and a gobsmacked recognition of the fact he had done the brutal Dursley Dozen already that morning. 

First mile in 6:26 was solid, then things went rapidly downhill. A little bit sick in my mouth miles two and three as other runners started coming by. Spent the latter half trying not to shit myself and doing all I could not to slow to a walk. Mid sevens pace now. It was the muddiest I have seen the course and some tough wind in places. Felt a little uncoordinated on the three water crossings, but they remain an integral part of the XC fun. 

Finished about 30 places lower than usual with an average pace of 7:13 rather than 6:16 of my best result there. 

Weirdly, I quite enjoyed it and it has definitely taught me a lesson. A few friends at the start were telling tales of PBs whilst hungover - that is definitely not me! 

Anyway, a solid effort, wasn’t sick and didn’t get lapped (just). Another 70M week. Onwards to Manchester and a slightly healthier lifestyle henceforth. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair point Jools, i guess studs wont work in that mud.

That'll teach you SQ. Top marks for still racing when feeling so grim. Ive done plenty of races after a few frothies the night before (basically anything non mara), but not after a session like that. Top photo that, reminds me of trying to get back accross the car park field at Goodwood last week. That dog was having a good time.
  • Quick pop in to say great reports Jools.  I don’t know how you could get yourself up for the 2nd race, especially in those conditions.  I can manage a park run double but anything more is doubtful.

Equally in admiration of SQ. Great photos.  At least with all the mud, if you did have an accident no one would have noticed.
  • Cheers chaps. Lesson learned, I hope. 

Tuesday long today. 22M at 7:25 average including a monumental soaking. 

6M WU @ 7:50s
    4M under over MP effort (6:38, 7:17, 6:41, 7:11)
    2M easy @ 7:35s
    4M under over MP effort (6:44, 7:22, 6:39, 7:15)
    2M easy @ 7:36
    2M under over MP effort (6:41, 7:24)
    2M WD @ 8:00

Win affected mile splits on the two-mile racecourse loop. Solid session, but some work to do if I am going to seriously trouble 2:55.
  • Oh god SQ, I would hate every second of that, even were I not hungover.

Just a 4 mile recovery for me today...very slow. Hated running that slowly but wasn't feeling tip top and after the hammering I gave my ticker on Sunday, I figured the less stress the better. Got a half this Sunday, so need to be as healthy as possible.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    SQ - thats a cracking long run. Those paces are familiar to me as they are 2.55 and +10%. 22 at a smidge over +10% bodes very well for a 2.55 imo, i couldnt have done that before my 2.54 at vlm. I did 13m tops at +10%, with the rest 8.XX. with a taper, race day magic, fuelling, people to run with etc on the day that 10% disappears.

Cal - the hard effort followed by easy day has worked micely for you lately.

5m and 5m, i order to be able to run in tomorrow morning, hopefully including a 3min reps session.
  • Impressive LR SQ just 2 days after racing XC. You should be good for sub 3 at Manchester 😂
    You’re racing more often than me Cal!
    Double track Tuesday.
    Lunch: 16x200m in 40” off 50” walk into jog. 4.6M@7:53 with wu & cd
    Evening: club 7x3’ with a jog recovery. Recovery started at 3’ but dropped by 30” each time. Arrived late so missed the wu which meant the first effort was compromised. Thereafter got them down to a reasonable pace & consistency.
    4.3M@7:13 average.
    Easy week from now on as I’ve got XC again on Saturday.
  • Jools - to be fair, Sunday's XC was a very different kind of hard effort and didn't really tax the legs. Nice double day from you. Where is XC for you?

That's useful context, TR. Thank you.

Sensible to recover and recharge before the next race, Cal.

Feeling pretty stiff this morning. Might need to do some glute strengthening - they are fatigued today and left knee a little sore. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    You lot are hardcore. SQ that is an impressive long run mixing it up...I would get confused where I am with all that. Jools your double days are quite something. I used to try and run twice a day when I was trying to get big mileage in..but gave up after a while. Hated the 2nd run, ached, and just all the bother around it.
    Yesterday did 8mi with 4x800m at around 6 min/mi pace. 5ish years ago that was my LT pace, and my LT pace was my MP. Kind of depressing, but could be worse I guess. Going to get pretty windy from today onwards, so thinking when to fit in any MP/LT runs in.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    SQ that sounds and looks horrible! 

15west like you I am in awe of people who run twice a day, I have to do some serious motivation on some days to go out once.

On the TM for intervals, 8*800m@5km pace plus WU and WD. Tough and not quite at the end of the cold, but much better than last week. Think the long run might be a one way going east this week or the TM! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    That was good going after a big Sunday Jools.

Not surprised youre a bit creaky SQ, that was a quality long run.

Nice one TT, some wild weather around.

10m this morning with 12x3mins, then a wild ride home tonight.
  • Bet that ride was ‘interesting’ TR!
    Legs knew all about it today. :D
    Bit of S&C this afternoon then 5M@8:xx after work.
    Recced the route of a local race that’s starting up in May. Quite fancy getting a 5M time on the board again. Won’t be a PB route as it’s definitely ‘undulating’ but pleasant enough. Into the wind on the way out & then blown home.
  • SQ - Impressed you can race when hungover and run a decent race, good boozing skills. Nice 18m too with some good pace in there.
    TT - 8*800m is a tough session, the most I've ever managed is 6.
    TR - An equally tough session we'll done for ticking it off.
    Jooligan - Nice double, great variety.
    Westy - Your getting there, repeat that session in a few weeks time & you will be quicker.

10k TT for me 38.02 and nearly a minute faster than the one 10 days ago. Happy with that, especially as the wind was crazy at times. Will try and do 3 more of these to do in my Manchester buildup, the main quality run I do. Hope to get to nearer 37 minutes.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    That 5m was a good idea jools

OO - nice, i dont know how you can push yourself over 10k in training, its too hard an effort for me, i can only do a few miles hmp let alone a decent 10k pace.......the 3mins is an IM thing Brett Sutton used to get his athletes to do. When crab was trying to qualify for kona they were getting him to do 21 x 0.5m, i dont like measured reps as i get too interested in paces, so do 3 mins. Ive done 20 x 3mins in mara build up, but it becomes an mlr with wu and wd, i limited it to 14 reps max before vlm as i can fit it into a 10m morning commute. I could put 20 into a long run though.
  • SQ - Impressive long run there, with the mix of paces.
    Jools - Quality racing.
    Macca - Great lunch run 18 miler and 50k.
    TT - Nice 800 session.
    TR - nice session from you too with the 3 min reps.

Pushed my 5*600m session from today until Sunday, so easy 12 miler this morning.
    Manchester - not sure I want the 95 mile drive, when I can go 25 miles away for a race 3 weeks later, but Manchester is flatter! I can then use the marathon as my last long run before a 6 hour ultra in May!!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Steve - id drive 95m for Manc ? Thats my drive to Blackheath for vlm. What are you doing instead?

10m here, saw a kingfisher as i crossed a small stream, which is a running first. Tomorrows run in might be a bit wild.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Who's running tomorrow? Not sure whether to bother....will see how bad it looks in the morning. Planning on doing a long run on Saturday.
  • I'll be out at some point. Won't be going more than 5M though.
    Easy double day today: flat 4.5 at lunch & hilly 5.6 this evening.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Not that bad here this morning so got out for a 6mi jog. Take care if out cycling or running today, especially for those down south.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Not good up here! Tried the TM and not feeling the love so cut it short. 

15west like you I am aiming for tomorrow, but will be a point to point!

Steve would you stay the night before or drive on the Sunday?

TR never seen a kingfisher, must be an incredible sight. 

OO well done on that TT. 
  • Westy - Nice one. I will be running too, choice to be made between running in a few sheltered spots I know or a run on the wild side, and embrace nature so somewhere safe but coastal. It gets quieter this afternoon. We've had a few very short power cuts and some fencing has blown over.
    TT - Thanks. 
    TR - They are spectacular birds, used to see one relatively often when lived in rural Devon and ran along canals with plenty of tree cover. I can raise you with seeing a woodpecker last week. Always raises the spirits. 
    Steve - c500m round trip to Manchester from here, but also seeing family in Sale who live on the marathon route. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - some of my commute is round farm type lanes, so i see woodpeckers, deer and buzzards from time to time. Theres only the odd small stream crossing so a kingfisher is a hard spot. In the twilight of evening commutes ive seen a few owls in the last year or so and a badger.

I knew all that struggling round Goodwood in windy races would come in handy.....5m easy in, if its still really windy later I'll run back rather than cycle.
  • You sure you didn't have a race booked today TR? :p 
    Good on you Westy.
    Definitely find some shelter for your run OO - think you've got the worst of it.
    5M for me in vile conditions - timed it perfectly to coincide with the rain which made for a significant windchill.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Jools - unlucky on the dunking, looks like a wet and windy long run day tonorrow.

5m home again, so 10m for the day. 122mph measured on IoW, you know its a wild day when the Portsmouth to IoW car ferry is disrupted.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Well done Jools and TR for surviving, and anyone else who managed to get out there. It was kind of ok here till about 2pm then started to get pretty windy, but nothing like down south. Got a long run now, no idea how long or what sort of run, might just run. Really not feeling it, bit of a hangover and not enough sleep, but I'm up now and may as well get out there.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Jooligan - It was cold out there wasn't it.  10m banked, my route a mix of very windy but safe coastal and less windy inland. Good to be outdoors. 
    TR - Good nature watching.  Not seen a badger, occasionally an owl and last week a deer jumped out of a field onto the track I was running up. 
    Westy - That's the spirit, sure sounds a character forming run, hope it went well. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    OO - well done on getting that 10m done in those conditions.
    23.7 mi this morning in just over 3hrs. Started raining for last hour and I was very cold and wet when I got home. Then I walked the dog. Not planning on doing much the rest of the day.
  • Well done anyone who went out yesterday. I did a 4 mile walk before it got too windy, but then battened down the hatches. Quite a lot of damage out there (amazed my Sky dish was fine and continued to transmit no problem) but most of the parkruns in London were cancelled, as well as my first choice (Harlow in Essex) and reserve (Southall...the new London one...though I was hoping to do this one another time). But Mile End was on so I went there, even though I've done it twice before. Any parkrun is better than no parkrun, right? (Though I admit I was tempted to do nothing today...but I knew I'd regret not doing parkrun so I got up and went).
    As I've got the half tomorrow I wasn't going to push too hard (I figured 9 minute mile pace would be fine) so I was surprised to end up with my fastest time this year of 27:43. Got to see a couple of parkrun friends, and pet two nice dogs, so it was all worth getting out of bed for.