Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Impressive LR SQ. That’s 22M at MP+10% for a 2:57 marathon on an undulating course, on a windy day just 2 days after racing XC. You should be good for sub 3 at Manchester 😂
    Double track Tuesday.
    Lunch: 16x200m in 40” off 50” walk into jog. 4.6M@7:53 with wu & cd
    Evening: club 7x3’ with a jog recovery. Recovery started at 3’ but dropped by 30” each time. Arrived late so missed the wu which meant the first effort was compromised. Thereafter got them down to a reasonable pace & consistency.
    4.3M@7:13 average.
  • Solid there Jools. Must start doing some 200's myself soon.

Bummer Reggie. Don't do too much with the little C. Not worth it.

Superb run SQ, my longest was from here to the in laws in Bedford...23 miles. nearly killed me!

5 x 1 mile tonight at Luton off 90-105 secs recovery. First one 5.30, then a 5.23 and the other 3 just under 5.20. Felt good, so happy with that.
  • Jooligan said:
    Impressive LR SQ. That’s 22M at MP+10% for a 2:57 marathon on an undulating course, on a windy day just 2 days after racing XC. 

Racecourse at Worcester - pancake flat! Lovely double session day from you. Very Norwegian. 

Some nice reps with three below my PB, SC. Good going! Have you run a marathon?
  • Cheers SQ - Just two maras.

Yes the 'tick off' one, London 2004 in 2.49 (YES I'VE DONE A F**KING MARATHON ;) )

Did Berlin in 2015 as I was fed up of my mates going away for marathon weekends, that one was my 2.39. Happy to get under 2.40 to say 'Never again!'

Berlin training was good - that 23 miler was tough, but visited my mate in Edinburgh and did a 20 miler along their marathon course to Musselburgh racecourse and back.

Quite liked summer marathon training - found going into a xc season after a marathon loads better than going into a track season.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who used quidco to buy the Alphas when they were out for the "cheap" price of £156 or so, remember to activate the cash back.

Did it last week, and pleased to see £23.80 come back in.
    No idea how and why this works, but it's very welcome!
  • Sorequads said:

I think 14M is my most MP in training, albeit that was within a 20M race with the rest easy. Do you reckon doing 20 at MP took much out of you/affected the ability to train hard in the following weeks?

I'd say 20@MP is very much a personal thing. I'm basically a lazy runner so I want to get out and run and just enjoy it so it is way easier for me to set out and race an event than it is to mix the pace up.

In 2012 I raced Wokingham Half, 19th Feb, 79:34, then Finchley 20, 11th Mar,  2:08:11, then London Marathon, 22nd Apr, 2:50:28. The Finchley 20 was followed by 20 milers on the following 2 Sundays, one our club 20 miler padded with a couple of extra miles and the Sunday after 20 with UltraGregory so training ticked along as usual.

• Cracking 22 there SQ - very confidence building!

Always amazes me how few people actually race a 20M, but rather view it as an opportunity to practice MP.  Maybe race the 20 then add 6.2 at MP :smile:

In 2011, I did 1:19:33 at Wokingham, then 2:04:56 at Bramley 20 the following week. I then had a disappointing 2:55:00 at London 7 weeks later, when I was hoping for sub 2:50. Was it residual tiredness from actually racing Bramley, or was it because it was a hot sunny day and I had a pit-stop at 10miles? Or maybe the 22, and two 25s in between were too long/too hard? I'll never know of course!

Ah, nostalgia - it's not what it used to be :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    I remember doing a 1:17xx at Wokingham one weekend, a few days of recovery runs then...

spending a week out having my put back out  :D .

I remember Moz saying that is the world of running to an absolute tee, high to low!

Bus i'd deffo say stopping in a race probably didn't help ;)
  • Stevie G said:

Bus i'd deffo say stopping in a race probably didn't help ;)
    It made me a bit lighter  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    For all my frequent pit stops pre/around sessions over the course of this thread, i've only had to "unleash" once in my 260+ races.

That was race 2 - Burnham HM, hot day, and had taken tonnes of fluid and a few lucozade tablets (!) onboard.
    Got to about 10miles, and was glad it was a woody course as had to nip in.
    Probably lost a min or so, but the words stinging ring piece have never been more apt.
  • Took a chance to get out in the sunshine today along the Thames from Little Marlow, out towards Cookham, a lap of Cock Marsh (giggle) and then back. I thought Reg was taking it easy with injuries and lurgy but I heard a cheery "Hi Phil" as I crossed Cookham Causeway and a few seconds later the blur of lycra and expensive materials had passed into the distance. 

• Since I've been ill, I have either been working long hours or working in the garden as I have a new shed arriving in two weeks and I need to build a retaining wall and patio base before it gets here. Taking it easy therefore is a little difficult, I did manage to clear the decks at work though so took today off to get some Vitamin D. Interestingly I don't think I would have recognised Phil walking down the street but the running is a different matter. Besides looking like Phil, I figured it's the sort of time and place he'd be out running.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bus - sounds like you were a spent force by vlm day in 2011.

I did a controlled 20m race in 2.10.5X 6 wks before vlm 2008, which was my first mara, i did 2.52.5X at vlm. But didnt do any other build up races, i rarely do them now.

I crossed paths with phil and purple fairy martin early on in 2012, i was easing off as i felt a bit ropey due to a sinus issue, when they came past, i told them theyd just missed running with Nell McAndrew for a while. I rallied a bit and did 2.51.0X. Nell ran 2.54.

In 2011 i must have been near Bus as i ran a very steady first 10m in 65:XX, the next 10m in 65:XX, was kicking on and decided i could speed up again at 24m, but cramped right up as i tried to speed up, and had to fight my way home in 2.53.0X.

My 2.54 (aged 54) there in 2021 stands up well.

Happy days
  • Maybe TR, but will never know. 2:55 is still my PB and though , theoretically some way off my half and ten mile times, it might just be marathon’s are not my strength and/or I’ve done too few for both experience and a smidgen of luck! It certainly felt like a hot, hard day but all marathons are hard I guess! 

2:54 is mightily impressive for a 54 year old by the way. Not just the time itself but the commitment and motivation to do it!
  • TR said:

I crossed paths with phil and purple fairy martin early on in 2012, i was easing off as i felt a bit ropey due to a sinus issue, when they came past, i told them theyd just missed running with Nell McAndrew for a while. I rallied a bit and did 2.51.0X. Nell ran 2.54.

We actually passed her as she set off way too fast and paid for it in the later stages: 19:27 for the first 5k and 22:00 for the last 5k. Great looking girl and a decent athlete but lousy pacer. I guess she was on the fast start (which doesn't help) and just got swept along. 

• Reg Wand said:
    Interestingly I don't think I would have recognised Phil walking down the street but the running is a different matter. Besides looking like Phil, I figured it's the sort of time and place he'd be out running.
    That is a very polite way of saying my running style is so odd (which it is) that it stands out a mile ;)

Odd how coincidences work: I did a run with about a quarter of a mile next to public roads and Reg did 50 miles on roads and we happen to pass along the only common part at exactly the same time. 
  • Well all running styles are distinctive, I guess that was more my point, some more so than others of course but I don't actually really recall seeing you run before, looking at the head to heads, there was a 10k at Wargrave where you finished ahead of me in 2014 where I would have been able to witness your gracefulness in full flow  :)

Ironically I was out on my gravel bike yesterday which normally means a lot of time off-road but I made the mistake of cleaning it pre-ride so I was reluctant to follow any dirty tracks. I did go through the great park and along the jubilee river but otherwise stuck to the roads.

Anyone taking on Eunice today?  :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    For some reason I assumed you'd been running Reg, and the expensive gear was on your feet. But that's probably because I assumed Phil was on some offroad trail you'd only reach by foot.

I had today off work so wanted a 10miler with a couple of miles turn of pace in there.

Pretty much achieved it, up 9ish, reasonably quick turnaround on a non work day out at 10.20 ish. 
    6miles then a 6.17 and a 6.02 the next two miles following with 2miles gentle.

Some really windy stretches, but to be honest felt the same as the worst at Chichester. A bit windy on the 6.17 effort but not much on the 6.02 mile.
    Glad to have banked pretty much what the plan was and that's me done until Sunday now.

I see Bramley 10/20 is a huge doubt for tomorrow . Wouldn't mind doing that one year. Maybe the 20 just to bank the distance and just treat it like a long run in company really.
    Hard to get the timing right though.
  • Reg Wand said:

Anyone taking on Eunice today?  :D 
    We set out at 11 am to drive to the Midlands for the weekend: normally takes 1:45. Tree down on the M40 between junctions 4 and 5 and then a lorry overturned between 6 and 7 so we got to 7 at 1:30 pm and turned back. 15 minutes back home but Google Maps was showing 3 more blockages ahead. 

We'll try again tomorrow ...
  • Latest is now over 320 highway trees down in Bucks and counting. More to come tomorrow. 
    Will be heading out to Wendover Woods later - expecting progress to be difficult!
  • Well, a few trees down, including one completing blocking the parkrun route, so just as well it wasn't on.  Nearest point of tripping though was a bloody dog lead! 

Running along a track, I could see a guy standing on one side, looking into the trees. He had a small dog which was stood on the far side of the wide track.  He spotted me, and grinned, but as I got closer I suddenly realised that his dog was actually on one of those stupid extendable leads - not one of the slightly more sensible hi viz ones, but this was like cheeswire!  I actually hit the lead and muttered something like "for christ's sake", he mumbled some sort of apology and I said"if you're going to have one of those stupid leads at least make it one that can be seen!", which he took great offence to, telling me to fuck off, several times. I, of course, was not best pleased about this and gave him something of a lecture! He concluded with another "fuck off", to which I responded, surprisingly calmly, "if you tell me to fuck off one more time I will deck you". He seemed to believe me, as he then went quiet and went off whistling for his second, missing dog!

Long time since I've had one of those! This eleads should definitely not be allowed though!

Nice run mind, though very cold and windy!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    What is it with you and run ins with short blokes with dogs  :D 
  • Who said he was short?  He was actually quite tall - small dog though :smile:

• I suspected you’d run some marathons, SC. But have to check on this thread 😉. Tend to agree about training in the summer, hot, nice trails under foot, potentially cooler autumn race. Although that said, I’ve got enjoyed embracing the winter in the last few months. 

That’s the thing, Bus. With marathons/20M races, it is hard to replicate things too often to actually work out what is best for an individual. And love it - first bit of lairiness I’ve experienced from Bus on the thread. Shit form from the owner. My first tripped in similar circumstances and broke BOTH wrists. 

Your 2:54 last October was outstanding, TR. You were very strong that day. 

That is impressive to have run 6m/m in those winds, SG - even if you had them behind you for a stretch. 

Sounds a painful non-journey, PMJ. Hope you got there ok today. 

WFH yesterday which was marginal, given we live in Glos (SW - Red) but work in Worcs (Midlands - Amber). The right decision in the end as there were photos of a tree down on one of the initially minor roads we take.

Headed out at 1430 into the 69mph wind. I know some didn’t find it that bad, but I thought it was mental! Couldn’t move my legs quick enough with the wind behind me, and into a headwind felt like climbing a mountain very slowly. All good fun and something like 8.5M at 8:40s. 

Got outside a lunchtime today for a buggy warm up, before then parking up the lad at the parents-in-law. Main set of 6 x 0.5M in 2:57 - 3:00. First speed work in a few weeks. Tailwind, into cross-wind into headwind. So probably about neutral. Felt really good to work hard. 

Absolutely knackered since and managed a nap during Postman Pat. 66M Mon-Sat so just a recovery run tomorrow, before a 3h time on feet to kick off half term on Monday. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Right you are Bus :)
    Must have been an irritating incident to get you on the swears and confrontations :)
    There's nothing quite as likely to trigger such things as risks to your personal safety though.

SQ - I dare say it's a case of how much stuff on your route there is to soak up the worst of the wind, hills, trees, buildings etc. I genuinely didn't find the worst bits of my run any worse than the Chichester 10k worst bits. But that was a fairly extreme wind itself.

However, clearly the overall situation was way worse this week, just probably got fairly lucky with timings and route.

Will do 10 or so tomorrow, to see it in for around 60 for the week.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    ps Phil, fairly bonkers to try a long drive on exposed motorways around the peak of the storms on Friday :open_mouth:
    Am sure it was a lot smoother today!
  • Big six days SQ!

Hey - I wasn't doing any swearing SG! I was a model of restraint and calmness, which was probably what made my threat to deck the guy all the more powerful - I just felt it appropriate to stop him continuously telling me to fuck off when he was quite clearly in the wrong :wink:

Hey ho.  A dozen muddy, hilly wet and windy miles today with a fair bit of tree and branch hopping! Quite good fun and made 43M and 5000ft for the week. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ok ok, we don't want any trouble ;)

10 today, fairly miserable fare. It's funny, you expect Dec and Jan to be fairly cold and soulless, yet it's the middle to end of Feb that's been the worst.

Roll on better times in March, but not the dreaded humidity, and occasional sky high heat :smiley:
  • Fun & games Bus. Decent week of running too with a helluva lot of climbing.
    15M today brought the week up to 59 & I still only got to 3,270 feet.
    I too had the pleasure of wind, rain & large wooden obstacles across the trails. Only 3: could’ve been a lot worse.
    Parkrun/XC double yesterday. 8th (of 250) at Pomphrey Hill, Bristol but then reminded of my true running stature with 194th (of 314) in the Gwent League at Blaise Castle, Bristol. Only just managed to average sub8 for the latter due to mud/wind/crapness 😆 I was faster on this course in 2015 when it was hillier & longer and I’d already done the Dursley Dozen that morning! I did manage 2nd scorer for the club but probably should’ve been 20-30 places higher.

• Stevie G said:
    ps Phil, fairly bonkers to try a long drive on exposed motorways around the peak of the storms on Friday :open_mouth:
    Am sure it was a lot smoother today!

Worked out fine in the end. Friday was more about the other silly buggers on the road: if you are driving a car in high winds then it becomes undrivable long before it becomes dangerous due to being blown over but the headline-making "high sided vehicles" can end up on their backs fairly easily but the demand for goods etc means they have to take the risk.

10 miles yesterday, mostly footpaths and mostly wooded and there were just 2 fallen trees to negotiate. Seems there must have been chainsaw gangs out on Saturday as there were a lot of paths showing evidence of removal. Worst part was right on the edge of Coombe Hill where my route took me along the grassy side of the escarpment so no shelter, no grip and high winds. Struggled to hit walking pace!