Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - sorry to hear you're still unwell.   There seems to be lots of viruses/colds around non Covid too.   If you've had multiple negative LFT tests it's unlikely to be Covid.   

Last year there was a cold virus going round that was evil and lasting 2 weeks at least for some, I know a few runners that had it and they were very poorly with it.

Maybe they don't phone to remind you of a forthcoming phone call?   I hope they do call ASAP as you've been waiting so long.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about all that Cal.  Is there any chance you could order a PCR if you wanted to check?  Fingers crossed you get your call today.

Shades, I had seen that about the NB but not ordered just yet.  I do have some 1080 V10s unopened still.  Yes, it was the Alphaflys I couldn't get on with - they rubbed my arch and I couldn't get rid of it, so I had to send them back.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You could be right, Shades...he did call, and early (he was running ahead of schedule). Makes a nice change. So basically he said that, aside from my ectopic beats, my HR is regular and the changes (slightly bigger atrium) are likely just adaptations from running. As I don't have symptoms like dizziness or palpitations and there's no atrial fibrilation, he's not unduly concerned, but he is going to refer me to a sports cardiologist (who may or may not want to do further testing such as an MRI). So it seems positive.

As for the cold, my energy levels have improved since last week but I have a bit of upper chest tightness and a slight cough still, plus some catarrh so I've not tried running again yet. I feel better later in the day, and I also (no idea why) feel worse after eating. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's good news from the cardiologist, must be a weight off your mind.
    Good that you'll see a sports cardiologist too as you can get sports specific advice, rather than take your chances with a non running doctor perhaps.

Distance running does cause changes to the heart, another muscle that responds to training.

Maybe you have a mild chest infection?

Big G - V12 are on the NB website

https://www.newbalance.co.uk/1080/?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=403890339&cq_con=1224856174275472&cq_term=new balance 1080&cq_net=o&cq_plt=gp&msclkid=1e7833c54f151241b9d951ede3fe27a2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK_Brand_Shoes_HeroModels_Phrase&utm_term=new balance 1080&utm_content=1080&gclid=1e7833c54f151241b9d951ede3fe27a2&gclsrc=3p.ds
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about the link, couldn't get it to edit on phone.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's definitely a respiratory tract infection but I'm not coughing up phlegm so I guess it hasn't gone very far down. Which is good. It does seem to be improving a little but I'm still rather tired and have a bit of a tickle.

I like the apricot V12s....I guess they are going for the parkrun market with those.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - good that you are starting to feel better.

I doubt the orange 1080's are aimed at the parkrun market, I expect the colour choices are made in the USA.   They've offered the 1080's in a wide range of colours so I expect there'll be more colours to choose from soon.  I've got 3 different colours of the v10 and I think there's another 4 colours I could have had.  My preference is still the black and white.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good news on the call,hope you feel better about it all now.
    Big G-I seen Jasmin Paris is in the race,currently on her 3rd loop.
    I didn't get that email off sportshoes either so must have unsubscribed at some point.
    Decided to take a rest day today,last day if an 8 day stretch tomorrow so will run after work,then Friday before we drive to Southampton.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - I like the new balance classic blue and white which is what I have for the more v3 and had for the v11. Could only get bright orange for the rebels sadly. Speaking of which I’ve got the alarm set for the streakflys tomorrow. 

Went out this evening to test this achilles and couldn’t feel a thing. Either stretching helped or reverting to higher drop shoes. Anyway did a couple of miles warmup followed by a 20min tempo and a couple of miles cool down. Bit of a shock after all these months of MAF only but seemed to get out of it unscathed. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, Jamil on his 'Run Steep Get High' YouTube channel has done a couple of live streams about Barkley, and trying to consolidate information and give a bit of info from his perspective.  

Cal, that is good news from the appointment, and also that the cold seems to be getting a bit better too. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Jasmin's completed the "Fun Run". Fantastic.
    I am feeling a bit better today so may chance a little run later this morning. Not sure if my Garmin will work - I recorded a walk yesterday and the data was corrupted. It has been temperamental about talking to my PC for a while so I've taken this as a sign that it's on the way out (it's over 2 years old - that's usually how long they last me before they go wrong). Anyway, I've ordered a FR55.
    Unfortunately my bean to cup coffee machine has also chosen this moment to die. That's a much more expensive proposition to replace so I am going to see if De Longhi can fix it (they do services and repairs but it's an older model now). I am currently drinking coffee I've made using some coffee bags I bought for when I did the Yorkshire marathon and had to stay in a Travelodge. They are three years old.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - so this weekend is the parkrun challenge then  :)

Rcouture - the blue in the 1080's is a lovely colour, really smart looking. 

I can't find any reviews for v12, looks like they might not yet be released in the USA.   Maybe as UK is a smaller market and with shoe companies having supply problems for once UK will be first  :open_mouth:

That's good about the achilles, maybe it was some sort of tiredness.   I get the dull ache from too far in lower drop and then it's gone when I go back to higher drop shoes.

Cal - I only use my Garmin when I'm running but I keep Garmin Connect as one of my pinned tabs and I noticed the website had crashed yesterday.   I've just had to refresh it a few times now to get it back this morning, seems OK now.
    Good news you're feeling a lot better today, I'm sure the phone call yesterday has helped too.  :)   You deserve to treat yourself to a new Garmin, what does the 55 have that the 45 doesn't?

That's a serious issue though about the coffee machine  :'(

8 miles this morning.   Knee not a 100%, a few twinges but mostly OK.   My last run was Sunday but with 3 days off I felt I hadn't run for weeks.    So much lighter today I could get out at 6 a.m. and one of the benefits of earlier daylight is more wildlife and I got within 10 feet of a buzzard that was on a fence post.   He was obviously surveying his breakfast as he didn't want to fly off but as I ran past he swivelled around to follow me with his beady eye until I had passed.   No kingfisher on the way home even though water level was back to normal.
    Have cancelled Stretch class and gym because of my knee.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Errrm, is it just me, or are the Streakflys sold out on the Nike site?  I refreshed the page and they were available at 8am, I went on to buy them, but they sold out, before being able to even pick a size.  I got the email from Sportsshoes (and another one this morning) but sold out in my size (just 7.5 and 8 left).  I have been refreshing the pages since 8am incase orders weren't fulfilled etc, and at one point was able to select my size on the Nike site, but no joy when I came to adding the item to buy.  Sportsshoes has a helpful pop up box informing me that they are popular right now and they've sold 100s....just not to me :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Indeed it is,I'm running 15 either tonight or tomorrow so will get my excuses in early,daughter is in about 21 shape,I think that's about where I am but will find out on Saturday.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - I managed to bag one via the email from sportshoes but when I was clicking through it said there were only 3 left in my size at 8am on the dot. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I expect your daughter is more familiar with the course too which can be an advantage.   I'm sure you'll give it a good try.

Big G - bad luck re the Streakflys, I guess that's due to limited supplies, good hype for the shoes though.   Are you able to go on a wait list?

How's the foot?

Talking of limited supply chains, when I went back to the garage yesterday they'd had a delivery of one new SUV which they'd parked rakishly in the showroom as the only new car they had.
    Good news for me, a hefty bill but it was £150 less than I expected for the amount of work.   And they power washed my car to get the moss off that I couldn't.    :)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've just had another email from Sportsshoes reminding me about the Streakflys going on sale at 8 a.m.   I clicked on it and all sizes OOS.

Are they unisex?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done RCouture.  I was there bang on 8am as well.  Oh well, maybe next time!

Shades, there isn't a waiting list that I am aware of.  I have 'favourited' the shoes in the Nike app but I don't think that does anything in terms of informing me about any new availability.

Foot is much better, but still a little bit sore and although I feel I could run, I just want to wait a bit longer.  I have a rough idea of getting along to parkrun this weekend for a trot out, but I will see. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - well done on grabbing a pair.     
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - your foot seems to be healing well.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Got a pair from the Nike site :D  Some more came available and I was in there.  In between I got an email from Pro Direct saying they were doing pre-orders for 18th Apr delivery, but I got a pair now. 

Just about to jump on Zwift and race the Team Time Trial :D 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Big G - well done on getting a pair, your persistence paid off.

I did ask earlier, are they unisex?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It doesn't specify man or woman so guessing they are unisex.
    I was tempted but decided against it,when I looked there were some available on the Nike site but I still have plenty of vaporflys with not many miles on.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I don’t think it says on the Nike site but yes I think they’re unisex. 

In all the excitement I did remember to go via Quidco and my cashback has tracked so should get about £6 back if it goes through. 

Just nearly killed myself on the TTT on Zwift. They are brutal. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Blimey Big G, they certainly seem popular. I am tempted but I have enough "fast" shoes to be getting on with. And not much money.

Shades, you are correct...yesterday's walk uploaded today (it's odd though as I tried to  upload it manually to Strava yesterday and it wasn't having it, hence me thinking it was corrupted.) Still, I've got a Forerunner 55 coming tomorrow. I had been considering replacing the 45 for a while now as the strap's on its last legs and as I said before, it's a bit finicky when I plug it into my PC...sometimes works first time no issue and other times it takes several goes at plugging and unplugging before it'll work. My 25 got like this before it started throwing up more serious issues (like not recording runs). And I'd rather have a reliable watch for my big races. The other thing is that it has a much better battery (20 hours in GPS mode) so I can be confident it'll get me through my first ultra. :smile:

Anyway...aside from the coffee machine calamity, I was feeling better today so I did venture out for a run. First mile felt decent (other than legs complaining after not being used for nearly 2 weeks)...second was a little harder but decided to go for the third, which felt quite laboured going over the railway bridge but better once I was heading down the common.
    It's a start. Still no idea how I will manage in Manchester after missing my peak weeks...the number came today.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Sportsshoes called and due to a ‘high volume processing error’ I didn’t get my order despite the email confirmation. I feigned outrage and have gotten a discount on the Takumi sen 8 instead. RRP is about 170, they’ve got a normal discount on at the moment to 136 (presumably to match the streakflys) and I’ve got a discount on top to 100 so not the end of the world. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian/Big G - I thought they were unisex.   I find that so insulting to women as they will primarily be focused on selling to men and will be a poor fit for a lot of women.
     Most running socks are now unisex and even if I buy a size down from my actual size they rarely fit properly as a women's specific sock would do.

Cal - glad your Garmin Connect is now working again.   You'll need it for the 55.

Touch wood, my 45 is OK for now.   But I've found over time a GPS watch is like a marathon runner and starts to have a few niggles.  We all need a watch we can rely on.

I think 20 hours should see you through your first ultra. 😉.  Have you entered that ultra?

Don't worry about Manchester, you'll get round OK.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Not yet, Shades - I was waiting on the doc really, but guess I'm OK to go. I will see how Manchester goes, though. 
  • Options
    Hi all, been unwell, had a chest infection last week and haven't run since.  Unsure if I'm going to run CBR on Sunday yet, I feel well and hope to get out for a run tomorrow.

Also been busy with an OU assignment and work, no real update for work but been told early April we may/ should know more.

In other news passed my latest module for insurance diploma, one more module to go on that.

Will have a read back on here in a bit :-)

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Robert, sorry to hear you've been unwell.  There is a lot of it around at the moment, it seems.

RCouture, bad luck on the Nikes, but the Adidas seem great shoes too.

Cal, I did see Wiggle had what appeared a bargain on the FR35.  It seems a lot of watch for £85.

Went for a nice lunch and walk today on Bolberry Down near Salcombe, which is about 1hr drive from me.  There is a 3-lap parkrun there which I hope to get to soonish (it is my nearest event that I haven't yet done).  Tigg enjoyed the run out  :)

Manchester Marathon number has turned up in the post today.