Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Wardi - yeah, that's the one. Have you done it? It's my local (probably 1m from my house if I go the shortest route) but does get messy with rain, particularly with a full programme of football around the top field.
    Congrats to Mrs Wardi on breaking 80% (and to you on your quickest this year!).

TR - that sounds like a good run to me in the wind. Well done!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. I know someone who has done a couple in that area who mentioned a 3 lapper so it rung a bell.  Luckily the York Parkrun on the racecourse service track has recovered from being part underwater for 2 weeks and was bone dry yesterday.  My other reasonably close Parkrun is Heslington (York Uni).  They used to do a couple of loops of a tarmac cycle circuit with an out & back section to make up the distance.  The latter is now closed for renovation so it is now 5 x 1k laps of the cycle circuit - there's a lot of lapping going on! 
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    OO - nice to be out in a tshirt. It's getting close here too. Still a base layer currently but its touch and go once warmed up. 

TR - Still a tough end to a long run and is solid training banked. I know what you mean however for trying to gauge fitness. I'd be happy under the circumstances given the wind FWIW.

Wardi - nicely done on the park run seasons best and to Mrs Wardi's age grading. Hope the wine was good. 

TT - well done to you too at park run and by the sounds of it expertly staying upright. Enjoy the rest day today. 

Hadn't done anything quicker than plodding this week so unlike the park runners I stayed in doors as the wind and rain didn't look too inviting yesterday.

I had also figured out how to program and upload workouts to zwift so did my own 8x800m off 400m recoveries on the treadie. Nothing spectacular, 800s in 3.20 but found the workout a decent effort and lots of puddles to clean up post workout. 

Towards the end of the week the notion of completing Manchester started to take hold, with encouragement from you guys, so I knew I had to have some sort of tester long run.

With that in mind I ran 33km today in 2.47 with the explicit purpose of asking the question of myself at the end, could I run another 9km at that pace? The answer is a definite yes.

My ankle felt fine, not a single grumble. Heart and lungs fine. Legs did fatigue a little but nowhere near as bad as if running faster. 

So today's run was a smidge outside 3.30 pace so with a tiny taper and the crowds I reckon I'll be good to jog round at the pace. I would have bitten your hand off to be where I'm at right now a few weeks ago. 

• Options
    Forgot to say, I am #2197 for Mcr. Start Area Red A too
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done wardi, and mrs wardi, hope you both had a snifter.

SJ - oh thats a post for sore eyes. 33km with no grumbles, happy days. Looks like getting your body moving again has paid off. You can do a long run on the next 2 weekends if you needed.........aaron scott was working out how to upload sessions to swift, someone put a link for him on his strava.......i noted that he also did 14 x 3 min this week, he must have been reading on here.

I had a bizarre hour or so of sneezing and runny nose yday afternoon (so ill claim some of that as affecting my run yday too), still felt a bit under par today, but decided to do the planned turbo session which was ok, slight stitch type thing in the later reps which reminded me of sessions post CV.
  • Options
    That's great news SJ! See you in Red A in three weeks' time! I'm 2793. 

I do hope you're right about the weather Wardi. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just a wimp, but it feels like EVERY session for weeks has been in a gale. Today was no exception. 

Oundle 20. A re-run of the same session I did in August there in the build up to London, but for some reason my coach wanted me to run the first 10 slower. Initially he said outside of 8s, and I talked him down to 7.45s. My normal LSR pace is more like 7.30s. Of course (as always!) the first few miles are downhill and with a tailwind. I felt like I was shuffling along and things started to hurt that don't normally hurt. I was also too warm in a T-shirt and the gloves ended up stuffed in my shorts pocket. That'll look lovely on the race photos!

The top of the course had a mighty crosswind that kept blowing me off my line, but at least I was able to move up to MP at 10 miles and felt like I was actually running rather than shuffling. Until I got to mile 14 and the crosswind became a chilly headwind. There was one small section of crosswind again around mile 18, but otherwise all headwind (and from 15 onwards all uphill) until the last tiny little bit of flat and tailwind (200m max!)

I was slower than August, but then I deliberately ran the first half slower. And there wasn't anything like that much wind in August either. So again I'm scratching my head and wondering what kind of shape I'm actually in! 
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. that run must give you a decent mix of confidence and relief and great news on the ankle!  Bring on Manchester.

CC2.. it nearly always blew a gale at the East Hull 20 when I ran it so I feel your pain. :/  A decent training run in the bag anyway, well toughed out.

TR.. a nice glass or two of a very nice Portuguese red was enjoyed.  I guess I'll have to include the Mrs in a curry treat tonight which suits me.  Good to see you coped with the turbo session.

5m + 4.3m double today.  20 mph wind this morning but it did calm down during the afternoon.  62m for the week.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - well done on the controlled race. You dont need to worry re target pace, thats your coaches worry. 7.30s is sharp standard long run pace, thats not much over +10% mp, thats a tough pace for me..........no need to worry re Manchester, the crap weather will be the following weekend.

Wardi - yum, hope the curry is good.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well done on the SB at parkrun Wardi & congratulations to MrsW for her 80%. Enjoy your curries.
    Great news SJ. Glad you’ve allowed yourself to be persuaded to enjoy a LR with a home crowd to cheer you on.
    You’re in decent shape Speedy, judging from your occasional posts, that recent Half for instance.
    Amazing time at Wokey TT. You’re going consistently well.
    Still banging out daily miles here (RED#487), averaging around 60mpw with a mix of plodding, track stuff, XC & parkruns. 
    4 weeks til Brighton so ran my 5th (& final) 20M, well 33K to be exact. They’ve all been time on feet runs: 8:27 average pace today. Peak week with 2 similarly paced 16.x milers, 3x5M (including 6x3’off 90” in Tuesday’s) + parkrun yesterday.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    SJ - Terrific,  quite something to run 33km at a good pace and come of it well compared to where you were not so long ago. A really good call to run the marathon with an aim of 3.30. 
    Jooligan - #487. I continue to be amazed and that's a really solid week at the right time.
    TR - Good to get another long one done, the tougher the training the easier the racing!
    CC2 - Based on the HM time you recently posted and times from earlier this year,  you are in a great place and exactly where you need to be.  
    Wardi - Another cracking week, well done. 

Another 71m week with 13m & 15m over the weekend.  Didn't feel great yesterday but perked up enough late afternoon to  run 15m @ 7.45 to a local beach along the local river trail. A lovely run as dusk was setting and got back in the dark.  Feel I missed out on a long run so might try and edge 20m in on Tuesday. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    OO - those long runs with long blocks of effort come in handy on race day. Next weekends 13m mp is probably tougher than race day at some points.

Just the 10m home tonight, legs weren't really up for it after the weekends training.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Decent commute on tired legs TR.

OO.. another 70m+ week, those back to back double digit runs are a good foundation for race day.

Jooligan.. good to see you are getting out daily and posting good miles.  Best of luck at Brighton.

Still a bit breezy today but much better than the weekend.  A steady 5.2m in the sun this morning.
  • Options
    TR, I think I attract the bad weather as much as you do! People should pay us to go somewhere else on days they want to race :smile:
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Wardi - 5 laps sounds like a pain for a parkrun!

sj - great news on the long run!! Glad to hear you sounding so upbeat too!

TR
    - fingers crossed you've not caught something!

Jooligan
    - 487 consecutive days - chapeau! I don't even manage a week. Lol.

OO
    - good week! 

I've followed up my rest day from last week (Sunday) with my rest day for this week! I ended up pulling a 16 hour working day Sunday when things went to hell in a handcart, and then started again before 6am yesterday morning so was too tired to run. Hopefully 2hrs this afternoon though.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Lovely to read that SJ is dipping his toes into longer runs again.  I hope your Manchester build up continues to go well!

Congratulations to super speedy Mrs. Wardi.

Speedy: don't worry about paces if it was blowing a hoolie.  As long as you got a decent workout at the correct perceived effort it will pay dividends on race day.

Having intended to come out of 'retirement' for 2 weeks and run 100 miles (50 mpw) in support of my chambers' fundraiser for Ukraine (we're aiming to collectively cover the distance from Bristol to Kyiv), I have come down with Covid.  At the moment it feels like a bad cold: tired, achy, sneezy and an annoying headache.  It will also probably scupper the holiday we were meant to leave for on Saturday.  Heigh ho.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the Covid Jools. 

The issue for me is that it *always* seems to be blowing a hoolie and I no longer have any concept of what the correct effort should actually feel like. Last time I tried to do an HMP workout I probably put way too much effort in, because I hadn't run at that pace for months and couldn't remember what it should feel like. I tried to run it to HR but the lag on the data was a real issue.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Hope it doesn't hit you too hard and you make a good recovery Joolska.
    TT - Hope you were able to get out today.  Life!
    TR - I think your right, a HM 2 weeks out is a great guide (and workout).
    Speedy - That's why it so tricky running an April marathon as training / racing is rarely in good conditions with so many factors.  
    Jooligan - For RED, whats the minimum run you do that counts.

4m&8m double inc. a 36.41 10 TT, 40 seconds quicker than last weeks so pleased with the progression. Also abandoned tomorrows visit to the  Cheltenham races, the thought of 9 hours travelling on a cold wet day swaying it losing out to the desire to do a last steady long run. Feel better for it as the after-effects of a heavy day at Cheltenham has taken me a week or so to recover!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - defo worth pacing to feel in efforts as jools says, i only look at the pace later (for mp or 10% stuff), and shorter stuff is usually 3mun reps deliberately as i dont want to know or chase pace if it was eg 800m instead.

Pisser re the CV and missed hols jools, shame that.

OO - blimey thats a quick 10k, tuning up well.

Tired 10m inc 14x3min this morning, legs were real achey by the end. Easy peasy until saturdays big session.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Get well soon Joolska.
    Flying along OO!
    4M minimum & my daily average is 9.4M.
    Just 4.5M up the club tonight: 9x400m off 80”.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. nice double and a cracking 10k solo effort.  

TR.. good session on weary limbs this morning.

CC2.. unlucky.. Sunday looks like it was the last windy day sod's law.

TT.. hope you got out for the run!

4m + 7.5m double today, definitely spring temps, T-shirt & shorts on tonight.

Jools.. wretched luck with both the hols and charity mileage, get well soon.  I thought this might help to cheer you up..

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Jools - gws. 

OO - great 10k TT! Looking in really good shape. Target for Manchester?

TR - well done for getting it done whilst tired.

Wardi - nice doubling.

Got a decent 12m (6:54 avg) instead of the 2 hours - felt put together all wrong after a prolonged time over a keyboard so took what felt comfortable instead of pushing for more just for the sake of it. Jog/track double today.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    From the amount of time the cat is spending sitting on my lap, I'm starting to think she has engineered this!
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Thanks all for kind words of encouragement. 

Jools - that's a real kick in the teeth getting covid and messing with your charity running and holiday plans. Hope you are coping ok with covid. Get well soon. 

TR - recover well over next couple of days. Sounds like you are on the edge of fatigue just now. 

CC2 - as others have said, the weather is a PITA but your heart and lungs don't care about that. Still excellent work and will pay dividends on race day. 

Manchester is always susceptible to rain but they got rid of the only real exposed part of the course so that now it's all quite enclosed streets with shelter so it's a fast course even on a breezy day I would say.

OO - smoking 10k TT. Pretty sure that's my actual 10k PB ! Excellent progression as you say. Almost cotton wool time having built a very handy training block to say the least. 

Jooligan - a super consistent streak and solid training block too. Plenty of km in the bank will also pay dividends at Brighton. 

TT - well rescued situation with the extra work hours. You got what you could done so tick the box and move on. 

Wardi - temps rising and the daff's in full bloom is always a welcome sign. Still double layered here but I'm a bit of a whimp I suppose. 

Covid in our house too. Son went to a careers day with the likes of BBC present and must have caught it there. He's confined to barracks but thankfully seems to just be tired more than anything. Myself and Mrs SJ negative so far. 

I wanted to try and more regular week with confidence high so fore went Mondays rest day for an easy 8k in the sun and ran a session last night to get the legs moving. 

Though I'd go for volume rather than intensity and calculated some current paces based on estimated fitness. 2 x (3k@HM, 2x2k@10k, 1k@5k) all off 2 mins jogs. Felt controlled throughout but paces intentionally soft though I think realistic. I don't think I would break 20 mins for 5k atm for example. Decent volume too in just over 18k so taking a very easy day today, 
  • Options
    Wowzer, lots going on here.

Joolska - make the most of the time with cat. Hopefully you feel better soon. Charity challenge sounded like a great idea.
    OO - That's a rapid 10k, nice one!
    TT - You are a glutton for punishment workwise and running wise. You're finding a good balance by the sounds of it.
    TR - Sounds like you are testing those legs out at the moment. Bound to make you stronger as long as you don't push it too far.
    CC2 - From afar it looks like you're in pretty decent shape. Suspect you'll have a strong run at Manchester.
    SJ - Positive signs there. You're my return from injury inspiration atm. Keep it up.

Injection tomorrow. Saw the physio on Monday who recommended I don't run until our next session in mid April to see how injection goes down and focus on strength/stretching until then. A bit frustrating obviously but it's probably for the best. I'm heading out to Barbados in a couple of weeks and i've got plenty else to do preparing for wedding end May so it's decent timing to focus on mat work.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - CV seems to be rife again, hope you avoid it, but im of the mindset that its only a matter of time before we catch it again, depends where you are in the vaccine cycle etc. A dose of the real thing boosts your immunity for a while.......building nicely at your end......im defo creaking a bit, but the sessions are peaking and its nearly done, i was struggling in January, but have had a good 6 wks so who knows where i am now.

Joe - real shame you're still not running, sounds like you have plenty to keep you occupied though.

Minimal 5m home tonight (in the rain), as the logiistics need a double tomorrow, and im tryimg to have an easy few days.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Grey and rainy day here all day too TR, hope you didn't get too soggy after 5m.

Joe.. hope the injection works for you. My usual advice from the physio is 4-5 days rest before running again.  I would guess your chap is advising extra caution due to the long term nature of your injury.  Enjoy the hols!

Good session last night SJ, hope you manage to dodge the covid at home.  FWIW I was back in 2 layers again today.🌧

TT.. good work fitting 12m in last night, hope the track session went well.

A fall out from the Yorkshire cricket racism saga.. the new Chairman, under pressure from government panicked and sacked a number of backroom staff, none of whom had anything to do with it.  This included my physio - they are all now taking legal action against Yorkshire Cricket for wrongful dismissal.  What a mess!

9m today, managed to find a light rain interlude amongst the heavy downpours.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    SJ - Good session to have ticked off and fingers crossed for Covid dodging.
    Joe - Barbados sounds ideal, hope the injection works.
    TT - Ran 2.50.48 in 2017 so would like to beat that. And you? 
    TR - Have a good double tomorrow. 
    Wardi- Hopefully better drier weather for our running for the next week or so. 

A very slow 20m ticked off in fair conditions,  last of the long ones for Manchester  legs a bit stiff after yesterday's 10k.

• Options
    Blimey, that's a speedy 10k time trial. Way faster than my actual PB!

I went with T-shirt and gloves for morning run in the drizzle yesterday, having sensibly taken a day off work. At 6pm, when I would normally have been heading out, it was lashing down so I was most relieved to be done for the day and getting into a nice hot bath by then!
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    OO - nice target. Well within your reach with how you're going I'd have thought. Me? Without wanting to seem like I'm sandbagging, it's hard to say. I'd have been happy with sub-79 at Wokingham and ran 75-low. My usual conversion would usually give me about 2:34 from that, but with only one long run on board, and still early days on re-establishing proper base fitness I'd be very (very) happy with a sub-2:40 for a champs time, but even that could be 'an ask' with my endurance being a big unknown.

sj - nice to see you bagging a session. Fingers crossed you continue to dodge covid.

joe - good luck with the injection. No running until mid-April seems excessive though.

Wardi - what a mess indeed! Sounds like people are looking for scapegoats so they can show there's something being done about it.

Track last night was the same as the week before; a straight 10km @ ~ Mara effort. I'd been having IBS problems beforehand (reaction to something I ate, but no idea what), so that was noticeably having an effect from early on, and about 7km in the winds really picked up which really hindered me as I was just starting to pick it up a bit, but I ran metronomic 88s laps for 36:38 (18:18/18:20 split).
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Good to see the excitement building for Manchester, with London missing for the spring it's the first of the GB major events I guess.

TT.. that's a cracking pace on a windy track.  I think you might surprise yourself at Manchester much like the 75 min half, hope the conditions are good on the day.

CC2.. nice work dodging the downpour.

OO.. good to get that last 20 in the bag, not surprised it was a tired affair after that speedy 10k.

12m mostly around the racecourse today, a bit breezy this morning but decent temps and a blue sky so can't complain.