2022 in 2022

Resolution time!

A new year, a new target!

Who is up for the 2022 in 2022 challenge? Will you go for 2022 miles, or like me will 2022km be the target?

Over the last few years as we have risen to the challenge of 2014 in 2014 up to 2021 in 2021, my trivia knowledge has improved enormously with interesting facts posted matching either the number left or the number completed. Look back at the previous threads for ideas.

On a personal note I turn 68 in a couple of days and have managed the challenge most years: if I can do it, you can! A bit of a close shave some years but the challenge was a major motivator in keeping the training going. You will hopefully find the thread a positive support! All are most welcome!

So, to put some figures on the 2022 in 2022 challenge:

To achieve 2022 kms, or miles, you would need to average arond 5.54 kilometres or miles a day for the 365 days! That averages out at 38.78 km  per week, which converting from kilometres is 24.1 miles a week.

If you work in kms, like I do, you need to average 8.92 km  a day or 62.44 km  per week to achieve the 2022 miles.

On average about 168.5km or miles per month!

2022 miles is 3254.1k; 2021k is 1256.4 miles

If the targets are too easy for you, why not see how quickly you can get there? 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• I have been MIA for a few years due to injury and then covid (didn't get it, but lockdown didn't work for me (booze/food etc.)

I managed kms a few years ago, reasonably early, definitely enough time to do miles but mileage dropped off.

So I am glad to see this still going and will aim for kms this year. I have been slowly building base for last couple of months and I am excited to get started.

Best wishes for new year to all who join (and of course alehouse) look forward to learning lots of facts over the next 12 months.

Lfsf 
  • Welcome LFSF and thanks alehouse for setting up again. Managed 1842.13 miles (2964.62 km) in 2021. Will be aiming for 2022 miles.
  • So, 5.3 km d&d, so around 2017 to go. 

Interestingly, The British Red Cross described the current situation in England's NHS hospitals as a "humanitarian crisis". And that was well and truly pre-pandemic!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 21 km done, so 2001 to go. 

2001, A Space Odyssey, although released 33 years earlier. Particularly notable for the theme tune. 
  • I hope to manage 3000km this year, but if things are looking good around July/August, I may adjust and aim for 2022 miles! 

So far I'm on 54km. 

There are 54 countries in Africa, 54 cards in a deck of cards (including jokers)

54 is also a "perfect round" in golf on a par 72 course, a score that has never been achieved in competition. Pia Nilsson's organisation Vision 54 teaches her philosophy that concentrates on achieving the perfect round, the basic ideology being that striving for perfection results in better scores even if the goal is not met.
  • 46 km completed, so 1976 to go. Not only did 1976 see the Montreal Olympics and a very poor showing by GB athletes, it also saw me start teaching. Still doing so!
  • 121km done so far. 

Emperor Hadrian plots the course of the border between Roman and Celtic Britain, following three years of major rebellion. Construction of the wall begins the following year.
  • 68 down so 1954 to go.  
    1954: a special year...I was born! And Roger Bannister ran the first sub 4 minute mile.
  • I have run 6 k!

New years day I felt good, went for my first run of the year.

Since then it has all been about covid in my house. Hoping to be running by the end of the week.

2016 to go.

2016 was that year when Bowie, Prince, Rickman and more all died.
  • 165km done so far. Apparently still ahead of schedule for 2022 miles. 

165AD - the Antonine plague first breaks out in Rome after the return of soldiers from a military campaign in modern day Iraq. The pandemic spread across Europe and Asia, having a significant effect on both the Roman and Han Chinese empires. Some historians connect the waning of Rome's powers with the outbreak, thought to be caused by smallpox.
  • 84 miles done so 1938 to go

In 1938
    Oil is discovered in Saudi, leading to vast wealth, the Vatican recognises Franco’s Spanish government and some chap called Hitler marches into Austria…
  • 108km done so 1914 to go. 

1914, the start of The Great War, i.e. World War One. Over 40 million casualties, with around 20 million deaths and 21 million casualties. The war was to last 4 years, 3 months and 2 days. 
  • 134km so far, so 1888 to go. 

1888 saw the founding of the Football League, comprising  Accrington, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Derby COunty, Everton, Notts County, Preston North End, Stoke, West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers. 
    The first champions were Preston North End. All 12 teams are still in existence although there have been a few close shaves...with no doubt more to come. 

• 124 miles done so 1898 to go

In 1898
    Enzo Ferrari born, Italian racing driver and founder of the Ferrari racing team and cars. 
  • 171 km done so 1851 to go.

In 1851 The Great Exhibition of Industry of All Nations, usually known as The Great Exhibition, or sometimes known as The Crystal Palace Exhibition, was held in Hyde Park: The Crystal Palace name reflected the type of structure rather than the location. New inventions on display included the telegraph and vulcanised rubber.
  • mussesseinmussessein ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    303km done

In 303ad, Emperor Diocletian launches a campaign of persecution against Christianity. One of the most high profile casualties was George of Lydda, who was made a saint for his martyrdom, and is claimed as a patron by England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Catalonia, Aragon and Moscow, amongst many others.
  • 186 miles with 1836 to go

In 1836
    Charles Darwin returns to England aboard HMS Beagle with data he will use to develop his Theory of Evolution 
  • 203km with 1819 to go. 

In 1819, the Peterloo Massacre, as it is now called, took place in Manchester. The plaque at the Peterloo site refers to "a peaceful rally" being "attacked by armed cavalry" and mentioning "15 deaths and over 600 injuries". This was a time of both industrial unrest with machinery taking over from hand weaving, for example, and at a time when few men (and no women of course) had the vote, and few of those that did lived in the north. 
  • mussesseinmussessein ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    348km so far.

The 348 was the final V8 Ferrari developed under the direction of Enzo Ferrari.

Apparently I'm bang on schedule for 2022 miles.
  • 232 miles so 1790 to go

In 1790
    George Washington delivers the first ‘State of the Union address’
    and Fletcher Christian and eight mutineers from the Bounty land on Pitcairn island

• 246 km completed so 1776 to go. 

1776: a busy year! The Bolshoi Ballet was founded, 36 Cherokee villages were destroyed, the first St. Leger was run, James Cook set off from Plymouth, UK, on what was to prove to be his final voyage…and the US declared themselves independent of Great Britain.

• 438km - the last gladiatorial games in Rome are fought after a ban from Emperor Valentinian III. Human Vs animal contests continued for at least another century, but this ban on gladiatorial battles between people was much more successful than previous attempts to stop the events. 
  • Going well mussessein 

292 miles for me with 1730 to go

In 1730
    The Scottish explorer James Bruce was born. He found the source of the Blue Nile and travelled in Ethiopia, Sudan and Egypt 
  • End of month two and working in a straight line 326.86 kms or miles should have been achieved in order to get to 2022 kms or miles!

Pleased to report I am on 327 kms, so I have 1695 km to go. 

In 1695 the United Kingdom's last joint monarchy, the reign of husband-and-wife William III and Queen Mary II came to an end with the death, from smallpox, of Queen Mary, at the age of just 32.

It was also a particularly cold and wet year. Contemporary records claim that wine froze in the glasses in the Palace of Versailles.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    374 down, so 1648 to go. Kilometres that is. 

1648 saw the English Puritan Parliament ban Christmas as well as put King Charles I on trial, leading to his execution early the following year. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    404 km down, so 1618 to go. 

1618: Sir Walter Raleigh was beheaded for alleged treason against King James I.
  • 402 miles completed so 1620 to go

In 1620
    The Mayflower sails from Plymouth for America with 102 passengers 
  • 442 miles completed so 1580 to go 

In 1580
    Francis Drake returns to England after circumnavigating the globe on the Golden Hind, took 3 years!!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    513 completed, so 1509km to go. Just about on track. 

1509: history changed forever with the seventeen year old Henry VIII becoming king following the death of his father, Henry VII.  Just 60 days later Henry married his late brother's widow, Catherine of Aragon. 
  • 493 miles done so 1529 to go

In 1529
    Leading on from alehouse, Cardinal Thomas Wolsey the Archbishop of York presides over a legatine court to rule on the legality of Henry’s marriage to Catherine of Aragon.