Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Top running Jools and SQ at your trail HM.
    Macca - Impressive 10k TT
    Cal - 97 parkrun locations, that is impressive.

20 miles on Saturday, started at my usual easy 9 min/mile pace, but noticed I was around 8 min mile by 14 miles, so tried to slow myself down a bit! Sunday was an easy 11 miles. 15 mile MLR today.
  • Options
    Great to be reading race reports, this time last year there were none.

Cal did run with a strong finish.  I find bodyglide great and less greasy than Vaseline.

Jools - excellent age cat win.  Sounds like a difficult course to pace well so well done on the T-shirt to boot.

SQ - sounds like you got more out of the day than you could have hoped for just a few days earlier.  Well paced to effort and a strong finish to get that T-shirt .

Westy - hope it passes quickly, don’t want any Swedish marathon runner impressions.

TT - terrible runs are standard fayre at this stage, take it as a good sign.

Steve - always a good sign when you have to slow yourself down.

OO - I skipped the rugby (English) for a run, glad I did.

TR - hope no lasting effects from the fall.  They can hurt but usually quicker recovery than an overuse injury, obs. as long as nothing broken.

The highlight of my weekend long run was falling like a sack of spuds.  Tripped going up a dropped kerb whilst the mind was elsewhere.  I had some kneeling duties to perform them next day which made me look 100 years old but no lasting damage.  Hoping to squeeze a cheeky 5k race in later this week for a bit of added return )or not) to my marathon investment.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - no doubt the feeling crap will turn up soon.

Macca - ouch, you too. Hope the 5k goes well, good idea.

Good work Steve - when is yr mara?

As macca said i wasnt too beat up when i ran today, and loosened up a bit after a rep or 2. So, 10m inc 14x3min, 5th or 6th and last session of those, plus a session or 2 of 10 or 12 reps. I was struggling in January but have hopefully dragged it back a bit with these sessions and some decent +10% blocks in long runs. Need to avoid CV too, its everywhere at the mo.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Easy does it TT. Don’t need any blocks of MP til April 3rd now.
    You’ll be lean & mean come race day Westy
    Plenty of miles there Steve.
    Lucky TR. Let’s hope the wind avoids blowing along the S. coast on the 10th.
    Best of luck at the 5K Macca.
    5.4M tonight: jogged round my local parkrun as it’s soft & flat then popped over the road to join the club session. Did 3x3’ getting progressively quicker but stopped after the 3rd recovery to avoid battering myself & ruing it later.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    sorry about lack of reading back and giving proper responses, have been a bit out of it last few days and even more self centred than usual. Feeling a bit more human today, but definitely not there yet. Stomach still messed up, but the accompanying fever/chills/headache have gone, just feel drained. Probably won't run today, maybe I'll be able to get out tomorrow. Not ideal marathon preparation really, apart from maybe some weight loss of course, but hopefully I'll be fully recovered soon. As for marathon goals I'm now even more undecided...whether to push for a sub3 and risk bombing at mile 20 like I did in October, or go for a more realistic goal. Apart from this latest hiccup I am probably in better shape than the autumn, training has been more consistent...but you can only deal with what you've got, and maybe I'm just not sub3 capable anymore. Anyway, I guess I'll see how I feel next week...and no doubt on race day I'll get over excited and go off like a loon in those early miles.
    So...as well as covid, be careful of norovirus that is doing the rounds, wash those hands etc.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    15west I can only empathize, hopefully it will start to go away and you will feel better very, very soon. 

Jooligan that was it and after this morning no hard runs left. 

TR the feeling crap has arrived, along with the little niggles, oh and the feeling I am loosing fitness every day........

Steve that is some good running.

This morning out to the gym for a 33 mins prog run, that's is, all the runs now are easy pace and hopefully outside! 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    you know...I think I might have caught a cold too...
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Macca, you're so right. It is nice to be racing properly again. Hope you didn't bang your knees up too badly.

Westy, don't worry yourself. Being ill like that makes you feel properly wretched. Guess we've both managed to be ill during prep...sadly I didn't lose any weight with mine.

Steve, seems like you'll have a very good marathon then! Not that I want to jinx you.

TT, stay strong eh...don't let the maranoia get you!

Sore, ploddy four miler yesterday but a better, progressive 8 miler today. Went out around 9:30am and it was warm enough for a vest and shorts (first shorts run of the year, in fact). Got some chafing under my arm, though...that's not so good. Didn't think a run that short would warrant smearing myself in goop, but I guess so.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well controlled jools

TT - taper is starting to work then

Cal - progressive running is good. It has to be about 30 degrees before i consider a vest. I don't even have to race in a vest as im unattached harriers.

Slow 6m commute home on tired legs
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good to run progressive Cal.
    Sounds rough Westy, hopefully on its way out now so you can recover/refuel in time.
    Glad to hear it TT. Be worth throwing 6-8 20s strides into a couple of your remaining easy runs just to stretch the legs.
    Brighton start email arrived: White wave in Preston Park.
    Manchester bib email #8081
    A lumpy 9.5M this evening. 8:34 average for 130bpm in spite of climbing over 1100’. Could still feel the weekend’s racing in the legs but improving every day.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    TT - I'd second what Jooligan says.  I will add a few 800m or 1km dashes into a few of my easy runs in the last week.
    Cal - Nice run, coming together.
    Steve - That's a sold run, only a few more to do.
    Westy - I know you've suffered but think of the weight loss.  I would say worth its weight in gold, but that analogy is wrong in some many ways.  
    SQ - Thats a good performance so soon post-CV and liked your race of two parts and the way you speeded up for a fast and top 50 finish.
    Jooligan - Solid and also exciting when the numbers arrive.

Just a few days of easy running here around 6m a day, though might try a fast 5 later, especially with the sun out.  
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    ...and it appears I have covid
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Westy - Unlucky, take care, lots of rest, vitamins.  I would think very carefully about doing the marathon in light of this.  
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Just wondering if I have had both a stomach bug and covid, or upset stomach caused by covid.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Westy, hope the jabs and your fitness make it as mild as possible.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Westy so sorry to hear this. Rest up and I hope it all passes quickly and symptoms are mild. 
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    thanks all. I actually went out for a slow 5mi jog this morning...that was before I took the test. Just have to see how it goes. Yes, it may screw up my marathon plans...but bigger picture and all that, been so much worse for so many people in so many different ways...
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools- you're not still going to run Brighton? Defer it, next year is being moved forward apparently. Im white wave, no gfa after all then. Hope theres plenty of loos with no gfa.

Oh dear Westy, youve hit the lurgy jackpot.

10m and 4m today, 10 was 5 easy, 5 av 7.04.

Taken a leaf out of maccas book and entered a local summer 5k evening race series as it might do me good. Last 5km was 2013 i think.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Rotten luck Westy. The stomach bug could’ve been CoViD or it might’ve weakened you so you caught it. Keep us posted.
    I’ll run Brighton but I shan’t be racing it.
    I ran VLM a week after my PB at Brighton & ran a quicker time than I had in London previously  - just 16 minutes slower than the week before in spite of going out too hard: halfway in 1:32, 2nd half in 1:46 ‘cause I hadn’t recovered sufficiently. The 40 mile bike ride & parkrun the day before won’t have helped 😆
    Wasn’t much quicker in 2017 though, without a marathon the week before & similar splits: 1:29/1:45 so who knows?
    Big day’s running TR. When’s the 5K?
    10K along the Avon Gorge whilst my students were at a UCAS fair at Ashton Gate stadium. Easy out then 12x0.1M on/0.15M float.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Fair play then jools, i wish my body would let ne back up marathons..... 5 x 5km spaced out at the end of April,,may, june, July and aug. Start is only a mile or so away from home.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh bad luck Westy...hope you feel better soon.
    Jools, I think my legs would drop off if I tried that. I tried doing a trail half marathon two weeks after a marathon and my achilles was very upset with me. 

Took a gym day yesterday as my hips were pretty sore, still, then just 4 miles today. Legs felt heavy.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    TR - Great to have some local face race options.
    Jooligan - Good use of free time, when in Bristol I often use that road and always lots of runners using it.
    Westy - Hope your feeling over the worst.
    Cal - Keep ticking over.

I will be running a marathon in 9 days time but now the Taunton marathon as my son decided he would far rather play in a rugby match than travel  12+ hours to Manchester, when he found out his favourite cousin in Manchester is away that weekend.     So, to be a very different experience with a lift from a club mate who I will run the HM with before he stops and I do the 2nd lap. About 120 for the marathon so will get a bit lonely on the second half but far less hassle, most likely a few minutes slower but as long as I run a safe sub3, it will tick the box.  

Last proper run d&d, 10m inc 5K finish (6.08 mm). Glorious day for a run and forecast for April 3 looking good too..

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Ought to be a shoo-in for the Age Cat Prize then OO & maybe even a shout at a podium placing 😎
    I was on the trail on the other side of the river yesterday, much nicer.
    4.5M easy this morning along the canal. Perfect running conditions.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    OO - i like being able to chase folks who are up the road in smaller races, rather than weave about like at vlm, and avoid folks who carve you up.

5m easy first thing. Long run tomorrow. Folks are dropping like flies with CV, its everywhere at the mo.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Some progress today...first solid poo since saturday.
  • Options

OO – understand the lure of local hassle free marathon.  As Jools said, good chance of placing in a low key event.

Cal – as OO says, tick over time.

Jools – agreed perfect conditions today.

TR – well done entering the 5ks, I think they are a very honest speed session without taking too much out. 

Westy - keep us posted.

5k race around Hyde Park this lunchtime (Serpentine Last Fri of the Month) in near perfect conditions. Aim was a sub 18min with hope of troubling the club age 5k record of 17.50.  This required 3.34 kms and by the end of km 3, a buffer of 14s had been built, 3.28, 3.30, 3.30.  However I then noticed my shoelace had come undone with 2k to go.  I was running solo at this point so no danger of anyone stepping on it but it was distracting.  My watch beeped early for 4k compared to the km marker and with a slight slowdown (3.38), most of my buffer had gone.  Whilst the last k was slightly downhill, I couldn’t switch mindset from “this is in the bag” to “you really need to reach into the back of the hurt locker”.  Crossed the line in 17.52 ruing the fact I put too much faith in the watch, it had 5k as 17.45.  So delighted with a sub 18 but 3s less would have been a perfect day.  Good event, quick, almost half the field sub 20 and will have to go back for the next one.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Macca - Thats a cracking run, and just at the right time for Manchester.  Get that record next time. 
    Jooligan - Outside chance, the race always attracts some really fast guys.  A local legend Adam Tango Holland is running, he has won 300+ marathons/ ultra, a phenomena and nice guy too. 
    Westy - errr umm good news fellah!

I've succumbed to my weakness for Spanish marathons and booked the Seville marathon for Feb 2023, registrations opened today.  Its part of an aspiration to run a sub3 marathon every month in 2023, mostly in new cities and Seville is fast and flat.  The 2 club mates I am going to Taunton with are going, and a few others likely too so should be a good craic. Really looking forward to it already never been to Seville. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    weather forecast for Manchester is cold. Actually...for me it looks perfect...bugger.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Westy glad there is some progress, so to speak!

OO Seville sounds good, easy to fly to? Enjoy Taunton, 120 seems low but you might lap a few HM people?

Macca that is a fantastic run, and perfectly placed for Manchester.

TR I agree with you, then again I would like to do VLM (that may change next week).

Jooligan do you do duathlons? 

A 10 mile run to feel which was wonderful, not too fast and felt really good, if I ever tapered for a HM I think I could do quite well! Have my mantras, have the list written, avoiding people with COVID and found the number! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - pisser re the lace, but defo more to come there. Id expect you to go low 17s after a couple of races.

OO - i like the sound of seville,  thats a tough challenge, put 4 or 5 weeks between races and it might be doable.

TT  - sounds good. The best you can be on the day is all you can promise yourself.

Last long run, 5.5m, 10m (av 6.41s, but more 5 av 6.50ish, 5 av 6.30ish cos of wind), 4.5m. Id take 6.41s all day. Still had a bit in reserve again HR wise. First T shirt and shorts run of the year ! Given my fitness a good nudge in recent weeks just need the weather gods to be kind.