Comrades 2022

Comments

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    I'm in too.  Holding off booking my flights at the moment as my usual internal airline Comair was grounded indefinitely for "safety" reasons last week...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yay, great that you are on board (if not the airline) SD :) I now feel safe with you out there somewhere to reassure my wobbling carcass as you cruise past and encourage me to keep pegging away in the closing minutes :D I too am not making any travel arrangements just yet. I would like to have qualified before taking that step. But that will be taking it dangerously close to event time I fear so I'll probably cave in tomorrow and see if Emirates are still lobbing in to Durban from Dubai. Unlike all previous extremely short visits, this time I plan to hang around for at least a couple of weeks. Will have to figure out if I want to see some of SA prior to or after the big day.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Sorry Mark on you medical condition - it sounds like you have a good team to help you get over this.  I trust I will be far behind you on 28th August.

I could finally enter after I called Comrades House - my new passport number was the cause of the issue

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I just put garbage in my passport number and it loved it :D maybe I was lucky and aced the match, but I doubt it :D Will have to log on and fix that later.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Lowrez, I cannot see a list of entries anywhere on the Comrades website, am I missing something?  I'm interested to see who of our crew will be there, as I hope to visit SA at that time and catch up socially with 'the crew'.  Maybe you will start a list of known entries sometime!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Hi Terry, hope things continue to improve with you :) the best I have at the moment is those entrants who have committed to collect for charity here...

https://charity.easyreg.co.za/comrades-marathon-2022/

From those that I am in contact with I know we have successful entries in for...

Peter R
    Mac3
    Bike It
    Mark (should be in capitals and I'm not typing it all :D)

People trying to enter but not sorted yet...

JAR
    Becca

People probably not going but I'm working on them :D...

Southern Snail
    Debra Bourne

I think because we have a new fangled registration service, it may not have been fully plumbed into an available list of registered entrants yet.

You are right! We need a qualification and future events list :) I will work on that soon!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Well done Bike It on your qualifier, sounds like you paced it perfectly. And Mark, I'd seen on Strava that your health and training have been up and down, but I didn't realise quite how tough a time you've had. Amazed you are still able to sound so positive about doing Comrades, and hope things continue to improve for you.
    I emailed Comrades to ask what the plan was for deferring to 2023, but didn't get an answer, so I've entered for this year as I didn't want to miss out entirely. Now I've got until June to decide whether to go for it or to offer my place in the substitution window. I'll try to follow your race plan at Manchester, Bike It, but as I haven't been able to run more than 18 miles since last summer the final 8 miles are going to be...  interesting. 
  • hahah fu**wits! haha, everyone blames Boris for everything, people forget he is simply the 'Prime" Minister, not God! You should see the GBNews clip today presenter slagging off main stream media as apparently Boris was alone at the summit yesterday! Small minds. I shall look to go with you on the Friday hopefully to the wall, also to get a feel for that half of the road again. Be good to know at what point you see seaside! :D
  • Thanks Chaps. Yes baldstan I shall be following your plan, I was also a little undecided as to defer until next year (and follow Docs advice too I may add!) but I want Back2Back, and I'd rather run down 60% than up, be nice to finish in the stadium then crawl to hotel. Yes Health and Training very Up and Down, very much like the route of Comrades :D, I keep pushing on, not doing any speedwork just yet as that just might put me in tight spot but continue to work on hill work and playing a lot HR Games which is harder said than done. I've just got my app today to go to Freeman in couple of weeks for a weekend break basically and follow a 72hrs sleep test to try to establish the sleep apnea / bradycardia relation if any. Then I await Tilt Test and EEG. Once these come back clear I shall move up a gear slowly, and hopefully if I can follow medical advice to some degree and merge that with Coaching Plan then by mid April full effort toward Comrades. I have a few races planned before then, but if I miss them I miss them, have lost hundreds last couple of years so that doesn't bother me, would like to do an Ultra at end of April mostly walking just for TOF, then one of my favourite races the Blaydon Races, week before Comrades a little leg loosener in Switzerland on cards too......if plan goes pear shaped then will use subs window and then will have to go back to Comrades at least 2 more times to get that Back2Back! Anyway, 5 months on Sunday! Will do pr tomorrow again, have managed 3 weeks in a row, hopefully I shall cap another 5000ft week off.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    There is only one back to back opportunity Mark, in your first two Comrades, with no break between them. It's this year or nowt for you! 

An ultra, mostly walking, around end of April you say? Have you read your RW personal messages?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Stan, I'm pretty sure the 2023 option remains; you just simply wait for entry time next year and they'll do exactly the same as they are doing now. Give the opportunity to cash in the unused 2020 entry in a first tranche. But if you've used it this year then obviously it's now spent and we'll meet for beers in Durban :) 
  • Oh is that right Lowrez, must be first 2 runs, I thought was simply two at any stage, suppose first two makes sense. Thanks for heads up, just as well I entered then!  :D 
    6/7 I can walk with little issues, it’s just an option and to give me some confidence I guess. What about your event in May is that still happening? 

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yep K2B is on... details on that should be in your RW mail? Have you read that? If not you should have a notification flag to look at your mail? I'll send you another.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to wait until next year.

Mark - I reckon you get to see the sea at the top of Fields Hill, about 13 miles to go.

lowrez and Baldstan - I am planning on being at Manchester next Sunday. I am in Yellow A and will be wearing a Comrades hat and my shirt will have 3 patches on the back. Maybe see you there amongst the masses?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Wow, twice over the top of Fields Hill for me and I've never thought to look for water, mind you, it's usually worried head down and focus on the sprint to the line by then 😅

I'm in Yellow B Marty, so I'll overtake you with bravado in the first mile and you'll reel me back in at mile 18 as I drastically fade to 15 minute miles and ultimately get hoicked off the course when the 6 hour limit crushes me out :D 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I'll probably be dressed like this, but without the mask, plan to have this on me head instead...

Mind you, I have a giraffe suit on order that might arrive by then too🤔
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    This little number might also get in the mix :D 

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Well, I should defo see you next Sunday then :)

And if we do see you at any point, I'll do my best to hoof you up and cajole you to the finish within the time ;)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    That beer shirt just arrived, and, as suspected, I look like a professional darts player at the mo in it, so it ain't seein the light of day for several months :D At least that red top confuses the viewer sufficiently well such that my immense lardity is not overly amplified.

Thanks for the offer of encouragement Marty, but I really am ridiculously below 4:50 standard at this time; I'm honestly not worth the investment of your on-course care and encouragement. Once I've got through half way in 2:25 I just won't have the beans or core validity to continue at that rate. I will give it an honest try, but, we should expect 5:30ish I'd say. 

I wouldn't want to ruin a good day of MAF conformance for you by making you think I was truly up to this on current form; I'm not. I did enter this with good intentions of achieving the qualification mark, but it ain't happening, not based on the level of training I've done anyway.

The 20 I did a fortnight ago illustrated this perfectly. I performed to the above standard. Since then I've done a 3 miler a week ago Thursday and had to limp home achieving just 3 miles and I've been nursing an overworked ham that has only just kinda come good today, a week and a half later. I haven't run in 9 days... talk about a taper :D Going out for a jog tomorrow to test the waters, but certainly not far; I want to stand on the start line in some kind of pain free shape :D I'm turning up because I want me money's worth, not to qualify.

I've got Waterford at the end of June lined up for a proper attempt. Plus I retire from work on Thursday (yeha!) so I will be able to properly concentrate on training from here on in instead of sitting at a desk for 8 hours per day :) 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    That 3 miler didn't go well yesterday Marty; ham started complaining half a mile in and I even pulled up and walked at that point, but, I picked it up again and let it grumble for the rest of the run. Did a ton of stretching etc when I got in, but, this morning it don't like me at all. Invisibly limped in to the building after the drive to work as it complained and I slowly stretched it out... it did actually respond, but 8 more hours sat at a desk ain't going to help it today. I will of course get up and stretch, and I've always got a tennis ball in me pocket to put pressure on ailing spots these days...

This could be one of those rare occasions where I don't even turn up at the start line in favour of me bones completely recovering. I have the K2B in a month or so, gotta be able to yomp that! 
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    I was going to say I'll look out for you Marty and 1owrez, but sounds like your plans may be changing 1owrez and my youngest has now just tested positive for Covid, so I would be surprised if I don't get it in the next couple of days and have to cry off. If I get away without testing positive then I'll be wearing my Comrades Legends top from 2020's virtual race. 
  • Terry told me 1 in 17 have Covid at the moment. Hospital admissions higher at any time since Jan 2021. See Shanghia going into Lockdown, 25,000,000 people.....hope Covid 22 does not surface any time soon! Take Care
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Tennis ball is sending me into an ecstacy of pain and release sitting at my desk :D I better ease off... I need recovery, not bruising on top of the overuse. Walking frequently but it'll be a few days before things settle I think.

Hope your household doesn't suffer too badly Stan. I have evaded both my nearly 30 something kids being hit by this. We live in the same house, so it is possible to stay clear if you really try. Obviously my two could just lock themselves away and text me for supplies :D 

I am increasingly feeling like the needle in a haystack, everyone I can think of has had this lurgy except me.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Here's a running related curve ball... Before the K2B announced their date I purchased 2 tickets to go and see Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets (ie the closest you are going to get to Pink Floyd) on the evening of Friday 6th May at the Manchester Apollo (it was a different date at that time anyway, pre-covid, and has been subject to several reschedules) . Obviously I would be foolish to go to this now that I am getting up at circa 3am the following day to run 40 miles.

Anyone want the tickets? I'm giving them away.

Note that The Saucers only play pre Dark Side of the Moon material, but that is still a vast catalogue of amazing songs and psychedelia :) This is The Echoes Tour, so there's a bit of a clue regarding content.
  • I've registered today, but will be looking to possibly 2023, I can't even get leave at the end of August..
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    "The Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) has announced that in line with changes to the regulations of the management of the coronavirus pandemic in the country, it is revising its stance on the participation of unvaccinated athletes in the 2022 Comrades Marathon.

This announcement comes in the wake of President Cyril Ramaphosa’s address to the nation last night, announcing some key changes to the restrictions which government had put in place to combat the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

CMA Chairperson, Mqondisi Ngcobo has advised that the Association will allow unvaccinated runners to run the 2022 Comrades on condition that they provide proof of a negative Covid test taken within 72 hours of Comrades race day, at their own cost. 

The same rules will apply to all runners, volunteers and visitors to the three-day Comrades Expo, scheduled for race week (25-27 August 2022)."

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Mr D - you mean you have entered for 2022 but can't go?
    Me non-comprende?
  • Hi All.

Long time no speak.

Glad to hear that for the most part people seem to be well. Every so often I do a race and spot Roger (I assume there is no one else with such an assortment of costumes XD).

Sorry to hear about your struggles Mark. All the best in your recovery.

I'm in for 2022 ! And now I'm in I am remembering the logistical nightmares of it all XD

Looks like there are no direct flights. Left it too late perhaps? So I'm looking at doing something convoluted like Going Manchester -> Amsterdam -> Cape Town/Joburg -> Durban. This way it seems cheaper and allows me to go from Manchester instead of Heathrow. Possibly stay in Cape Town/Joburg for a few days on the way (as I've never been) - anyone have any insight on which is 'better' ?

I'd obviously love for my partner to come along and support but I don't feel like Comrades is easily supportable. I am also a little concerned about safety based on some of the stories I heard in 2019. It'd be nice to have someone at the finish line and it would be nice to spend a few days afterwards on the beach with a couple of drinks. Holidaying afterwards - safari, swimming with sharks, all the classics would be amazing but we are trying to discern if the complex flight logistics and work holiday booking requirements are worth the effort when we can ryanair our way to a Greek beach at a different point with a lot less cost/effort. Does anyone have any insight/experience on this side of things? Do people tend to travel solo and just do the race or have people in the past turned it into a holiday?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Great to know you are in Thomas. Was I Batman last time you saw me :D 
    Think I've done every flight combo in and out. Emirates is my favourite via Dubai. But the others are fine, and cheaper.
    I'm planning to hang around for a bit for the first time ever this time; there was a vast amount of discussion on last year's thread, or was it the year before, regarding safari, especially Kruger.
    Do you fancy the K2B as a warm up? 40 miles through the Lake District on May 7th :) 6 of us signed up so far.