P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Still don't know what I'm doing. What I'm not doing is preparing for a marathon, as in carb loading, abstaining from beer, sorting stuff out, pre-race anxiety etc. I feel ok, but I do feel like my lungs are not fully clear, and just not completely 100%. Some of that could be maranoia, or it could be the fact that I did actually have covid. So..I'll take a test this morning, and if clear I may make the start line but won't go off that fast, and will basically see how I feel as I go...especially around mile 8 on the way back from town towards Trafford when route passes near start/finish as that would be easiest place for me to bail out (or is it bale out?).
    Hope everyone else with lurgies is ok.
    Good luck to all racing tomorrow. You've done all the hard work, now just enjoy the ride...if I drop out I may go to Chorlton to watch the 25mi zombiefest.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    I'm still coughing away...but my test result is negative.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That’s positive Westy 😉
    I had another negative test yesterday afternoon so no excuse not to rock up tomorrow & give it my best shot.
    Parkrun this morning. Carb loading & resting the legs this afternoon. Got Adharanand Finn’s Way of the Runner on the go. Ideal for motivation whilst resting.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Cheers Westy, good news your starting. Going to be lots of people inadvertently running with CV,  zombie heaven awaits. 

All good here, a few sniffles. Went for a walk around 9 am, supposed to be 4C but with the faint sun and no wind felt warmer.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - defo folks running with CV thinking they have a cold. Im surrounded by folks with colds who are surprised to test positive, i have a cold but tested negative again.

5m easy, 6m mp, 3 easy. Managed approx mp so much better than Wednesday's sorry affair. Very similar run to a week before vlm in terms of pace and HR. Hammy was a bit tight but i was abused by the fizz yday evening.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good news all round then TR.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    A promising run then, TR. you had a great London. 

Good luck at Taunton, OO. Enjoy the aptly named pub 😆 

Adharanand’s books are brilliant, Jools. I love his writing style and the journey he takes the reader on. Would love to go to Japan one day. 

3M easy buggy shakeout this morn. Just charging the car en route to Timperley. 

See all the Manchester runners there I hope. Good luck everyone! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Go well folks.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big Finn fan too - he is a really entertaining writer.
    Terrible train journey up yesterday (overhead wire damage meant my train was cancelled and subsequent ones were heavily delayed...got into Manchester after 10 instead of half eight...but I was up for parkrun today. Alexandra is a nice flat one so while I was intent on taking it fairly easy, I couldn't resist a little push at the end and did 28:27 instead of 30ish. Eh well. Knee was OK but groin is still a bit niggly. Hopefully won't be an issue tomorrow, unlike my lack of training and overall fitness!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the PR after the journey hiccups Cal.

Another tick for Mr Finn, I've his ultra book, he has such a genuine curiosity and then goes and does it himself. 

Good luck to you guys running in Manchester, Cal, SQ, Macca, TT, Westy & Jooligan.  Should be great running conditions for us, so lets not be shit.

Cheers SQ I will really enjoy running Taunton but it has a distinct feeling of not the main event which is fine. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Yeah but if/when I'm shit i have a very good excuse all ready. 
  • Enjoy tomorrow everyone and run well.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Still don't know what I'm doing.
    GOOD LUCK ALL!
    I may be watching in Chorlton in the latter miles so remember to smile.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Actually I do know what I'm doing...I'll start the race but take it easy, and if I feel a shortness of breath or start coughing I'll stop, if not I'll carry on. Seeing that I was still coughing quite a bit yesterday after a short jog I don;t think I'll be finishing, and I'm ok with that, made my peace with it etc.
    Anyway, good luck again if anyone reads this before....will be cold on that start line, but you'll warm up after a few miles.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck all. I'm in my lightning strides if anyone spots me. I won't be going like lightning though.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Well, of course I ended up running it all. 3:04:41..very pleased with that considering. Was coughing like mad at the end though, probably shouldn't have done it really.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Well done Westy.

I pulled out at mile 15, sometimes you have to say no more.

Thanks to everyone, I have enjoyed being part of this thread but I doubt I will be challenging myself to do this ever again! 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that TT..hope you enjoyed the day anyway.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    TT - thats a shame, what happened?

Most other folks went well and should be pretty pleased.

My non participation even provided a half decent day for Millsy at Goodwood today, we'll see what next sunday brings.
  • Sorry to hear that TT.  You’ve had a good training block and deserved something out of the day.

Westy - from where you were a week ago that’s a remarkable result.  Did you get many stares whilst coughing at the end ?

Surprise PB of 2:44:35.  I didn’t feel in PB shape so I went off at…….PB pace…..and managed to cling on for a 17s PB.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Nice one Westy, hoped you'd do it but that took courage. Chapeau. 
    Wow, Macca excellent indeed. Congratulations on the PB. Your a class runner, well done.
    Unlucky TT, hope you come back to give it another go.

Good day for me. Sub 2.50 was drifting away @ mile 23, had a word with myself put in a couple of 6.15s and squeezed in with 2.49.34 with a lost 30 seconds due to the overriding need for a scooby doodle (outside poo) @ mile 20. 6th overall, 1st old codger. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Well done Macca!!!
    I certainly wasn't the only one coughing...and actually there seemed to be quite a lot of puking going on too... lovely it was.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well run Macca, excellent.

I often meet pukie just after the marathon finish line.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Well done OO!
    Whereabouts was the Scooby doodle as I'll have to inform the council?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's incredible, Westy! Now take a bloody rest eh?
    TT, you totally can. My first marathon was horrible. I did finish, but it was utterly miserable. You've got the talent to do well at one in the future so don't rule it out...just give yourself time to rest and process.
    Macca...awesome! Well done!
    OuchOuch, bloody awesome, well done! D'you get a prize for that?

Fairly chilly but otherwise decent conditions today...a little breeze at times but the sun came out as well, so it was pleasant. 
    Obviously I've gone into this race with less mileage and more weight than I'd like, so I expected to fade, but set off at 4:15 pace and managed to keep that going until mile 17. Got a bit slower after that, and them considerably slower after 20 when my legs began to go. I was also feeling a little queasy and couldn't face any more gels so I didn't take any more on after 20 either. 
    No issues with the knee or groin, but everything got a bit sore (feet were the worst actually) and I was like Bambi for the final mile. Often I rally a bit for the last mile but not today, it was my slowest by far. Time was 4:20:52 so a long way off my PB and not even a Manchester best (I've done 4:18 in the past) but it's about what I expected and I feel proud I got around without walking (just as well as when I stopped at the finish, I could hardly walk at all...I was very slow getting through the race village to meet my mate Colin who I was staying with).
    Nearly collapsed on the tram too... I started feeling sick and closed my eyes and leaned my bum against the side of the carriage and my legs just started shaking. I was like I was going Full Foster after the race! Col had to hold me up until we got to our stop.
    But I'm OK now. Food and a non-drama train journey back helped. Just hoping I can sleep tonight (I always sleep like crap after marathons).
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Westy -  :D I was discrete, benefitting from a race through miles and miles of bugger all.  Should have said scooby doo. 
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Cal... especially after the issues you've had. Recover well.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear it wasn’t your day TT. Any idea what went wrong, or why? You’d put in a great training block.
    Congrats to everyone else.
    3:14:43 for me. 1:35 at halfway but faded a little in the 2nd half, particularly the final 10K. Not a blow-up though: no walking/shuffling required this time & HR was climbing at the end even though the pace was trending down. Aerobically my easiest marathon ever with HR below 150 til Mile 20. Legs were battered - opted for the Takumi Sen which may have been a mistake. Lost 90s to a Turdis at 30K too.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Thank you to everyone, well it just was not going to happen and it was a very positive stop.

It was a combination of too many people so I was jostled and had an elbow in my face at one point, people kept hitting the back of my trainers, a lady pushing a gentleman in the wheelchair in front of me at mile 13 and three people hitting the floor right in front of me in mile 14 in a mass of people. 

Paced it well, loads of energy, low heart rate, but it was not going to happen. I am actually really pleased I tried and I can now say I have tried. 

At heart I am a HM person, I can do those with no impact on the rest of my life. 

Well done to all, some fabulous 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Fair enough TT. Marathons certainly aren't for everyone. I am definitely max one a year these days, and not sure how many more I will do. They require such a big commitment. They could do with being 6mi shorter.
    Well done Jools. Are you doing Brighton next week?
    I am all achy and, like Cal, didn't sleep well which is usual post marathon for me, I guess all the aches and pains wake me up, and probably my whole system is in disarray.
    Plan for me going forward is a half marathon in autumn, and that's it for now. Just easy runs for a while.