P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Best of luck tomorrow TR and Jools and anyone else racing.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Cheers. Wind was ok early on but howling by this afternoon 😱
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Unlucky Macca, really bad timing.  Hopefully it's only a very mild case. What a year 2021 was!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Macca. Sounds like you’ll be a mild sufferer if runs were feeling ok in spite of the recent Marathon. That 10K club session looked good. Silver lining: You should be ok in time for next week’s session without another 50 tough miles in the legs.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    See you there Jools
  • Best of luck tomorrow TR and Jools.

Jools 😂.  The track sessions are 10k specific so I’m surprised the reps have not been longer than wk1 300m, wk2 75s(350m for me) wk3 progressive 400m - maybe it’s about increasing leg speed, enjoying them though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Brighton 2 : TR 0, no plans for a 3rd match at the mo

Did 2m easy yday, thought 2m easy cant be as hard as that so did 1m more, felt a bit better so put it down to crap HR data......i was meeting the mate i ran vlm with, so showed up........found myself just behind the sub3 pacers, but by 5m they'd run away from me and my effort level was too high, so i eased off and then stopped at 13m when you go past the finish......guess they tell you not to run if youve been unwell for a reason. Ill save my training and find another mara in May.
  • Sorry to read that TR, that sucks.  Looking for positives, you were right to pull the pin before putting yourself through the ringer.  Get over the lurgy and then hopefully you’re only a few weeks off marathon peak.  I would be very surprised if you didn’t have a brush with covid.  I took a test Weds neg, another Fri, positive.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Maybe, i could have had it before i started testing this week......choice was a harder than should have been 3.15 or living to fight another day. I have an entry (rolled over from 2020) for 3 wks time, so well see how the next week goes, might have to find something later in May.........ill take the 2:0 loss with Brighton, my names not on that race.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that TR. Could still be covid, or just some other bug...but so much covid about and tests aren't always picking it up. Hope you feel better soon.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That explains it. Wasn’t sure I recognised the bearded you as I headed out to Ovingdean but clocked you clocking me then when you said hello on the Rottingdean climb I figured it was you. Kept looking out for you through Hove & Portslade but, of course, never saw you. Couldn’t figure out why but now I understand.
    My race was OK - much better than 2019. 
    Started at the back of the White wave, just in front of the 3:15 pacers. Kept HR below 150 so 1st half mile was 3:52 due to the hill behind Preston Park. Made that back on the DH & went through 1M in 7:19. Easy down to the front & round the Lanes before heading back up to Franklin Rd. Again eased off pace but maintained effort. Halfway in 1:35:22 feeling OK but just before 20M it became a struggle. Through 20M in 2:26:50 but pace was dropping & when the 3:15 group went past I couldn’t hang on. HR & pace dropped & I shuffled back from the power station at 8:xx pace. Mustered a bit of effort for the final mile to finish in 3:19:29.1 Knew that I was unlikely to improve on last Sunday’s time but got into a good rhythm & figured nothing ventured, nothing gained. Unsurprisingly my old legs were still not recovered though. Parkrun & Wednesday’s 5K won’t have helped 😆
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - Im always bearded, its just sometimes more stubble than beard. I was impressed when i saw your result, good backing up of marathons, thats a stronger marathon than in recent years even after Manch a week before. You were proper headdown focussed when i saw you so i was worried you were struggling, but sounds like you were focussing on doing the right things.

My RHR was 61 when i woke up today, it should be 50 or less, i assumed a similar reading yday was due to race day excitement. Ill take a day off today and see where we are, although with an unused taper i should be pretty fresh when my RHR comes back down.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Well done Jools...so impressive. I don't know how you do it, I really don't.
    Take it easy TR, give yourself some proper recovery time.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Unlucky TR, but right decision made.
    Jooligan - Awesome, another really good performance especially as you had a busy week between marathons.
    Macca - How are you feeling?

I've had my first ever marathon dream!  I have been thinking about running the Dorney Lake Marathon on April 24th (primarily as a chance to visit London and see some friends) and was really in two minds about it (only 3 weeks post-marathon etc, long-way to go) until last nights dream, as I did enter the marathon and came 3rd in a comfortable 2.51.29.  (Yes dreaming of coming 3rd and not winning it is slightly troubling).

Recovery week went fine, no injuries, still a bit achey and just over 30m run.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    All my marathon dreams are me winning, but I'm naked.
  • Westy - I’m glad you spared us the award ceremony and where they hung your medal.

Jools - I’d say Manchester is a slightly quicker course than Brighton so to slip only 5mins over 7 days shows a great level of endurance, especially with a couple of 5ks thrown in.

OO - I was considering the half there that day, if there’s little wind it’s a quick course, will see how I feel in the next week or so.

TR - hope the HR is settling.  I don’t trust my watch in absolute terms but it only seems to be 3-4 bpm higher than normal.

Not feeling too bad here.  Feeling lethargic but I think that’s mainly from staying in one room trying to keep out of everyone’s way.  Certainly had worse colds.  A few easy ish sessions on the turbo but keen to get out and see what a run feels like.

Some good news, I qualified for the English Masters Marathon via finishing 4th English person in age cat at Manchester (someone in front must not have registered as only top 3 qualify).  Only issue is the representative marathon is Chester, same day as London.  Whilst the vanity of running in English kit appeals, I do love London and it’s right on my doorstep.  If I feature in anyones dreams, do let me know as it might be a sign 😂.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - dont waste yr dreams on running !

Macca - congrats re the masters vest, i was unknowingly a few seconds too slow for one at chichester 10k in 2020, but they wouldnt have let me in anyway.......when i actally have CV in Nov 2020 my RHR was only approx 5 beats higher. I test this manually before i get up. So 61 yday was a shock. It was a bit lower today (but was lower still last evening), so went back up by morning. Had 2 pink grapefruits since then so should be A ok soon. Hope to have a test jogette tomorrow, decided ill use the North Dorset number if possible, build up this week, bag a normalish week and then a taper week. Hopefully get a couple of long runs in over easter.......just need the grapefruits to do their magic, feel like my fitness is disappearing after a taper and more rest days on top with no race.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Too bad, TR, but sensible under the circumstances.
    OO, not sure how you deal with such races but Dorney was my only DNF (or should I say, CNBATF). Turns out I don't do well with laps, mentally.
    Macca, that's brilliant. I guess you have a decision to make. I'll be at Chester...not that that will factor into it, of course.  :D
    My groin's been rather niggly so I've not run since Sunday (which was a slow 4 miler). Monday was going to be a gym day anyway but groin got a bit hurty on the way there. It was, however, fine on the elliptical. I also did a short trip to the gym on Sunday and it had been mostly OK on the run but then really complained during a superset of glute bridges and dead bugs (you know...the sort of exercises that are supposed to fix this kind of thing. <sigh>)
    I also managed to make my abs very sore (my own fault for not training them for ages) so just a walk today. Groin was a bit better but it needs to calm down.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the Masters vest Macca. Go for it, especially if you’ve not done Chester before. You can run London again next year. Glad to hear COVID’s merely an inconvenience so far.
    Manchester is a faster course & was definitely quicker on the day: less hills, less wind, cooler temps, more frequent gels. Logistically easier too with numbers being posted out, bag drop on the day & the excellent Metro-link. That’s why I’ll probably not do Brighton again. I’ve entered Manchester for ‘23 already.
    I’d be surprised if 2:51 got you 🥉at Dorney OO. It’s an exposed course to be soloing round too.
    Day off today - again. Was going to go out on the bike but windy & showery so CBA 😄
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Jools, after two marathons in a row, I think some R&R is absolutely fine. :lol:
    Gym today. Not going to risk my groin as I am doing my 100th different parkrun on Saturday, with a couple of clubmates as well, and have bought my train ticket already.
    Hopefully it'll calm down a bit...the thing with the groin is, if it goes acute, then I'll be benched. So rather keen that doesn't happen.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal  - hope the 100th goes well.

Did an easy commute home, we'll see how RHR responds.

Looking at kempton run fest at the end of May as they have a mara option, but could be warm. Any route info ? It says mix of tarmac and paths, but would give me 6 weeks.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
     TR - Kempton sounds a good option, been there many a time losing money, my advice tuck in, take a keen hold and sprint past deep into the last furlong.
    Jools - No idea what the sub3 field will be like for that course on that day, hopefully a number of faster southern runners not attracted by Manchester and this date being the traditional London marathon date.  You doing a recovery week/ taper or recotaper?
    Cal - Take your point, think will run it for the novelty value.  
    Macca - Good to have the chance to run with your countries vest.  Hope you are able to make Dorney be good to say hello. 

Marathon dream #2!!!  This time three Kenyans running ahead of me on a CCT marathon and if I am not mistaken I was running with TR in places 4 & 5, in an  an orange shirt, sadly no Westy leading the race in his birthday suit - maybe tonight!!   I need to put my mind to rest and enter the Dorney marathon.Easy week again a few 4/6m doubles and probably need to do something faster today/ tomorrow so will try and fit in a 5m fast.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, it'll be laps, so bear that in mind. Think it's hard surface and rather open to the elements, being a racecourse (you're not on the bit the horses run on, mind) but it probably won't be too bad given it's May. Might be hot, though.

OO, I tend to dream about running when I'm injured. :/

Back out there today (and what a gorgeous morning it was) for a 5 miler. Could feel the groin a little but not enough to worry me. It hasn't got worse since, which is a good sign, so I'm safe to do my parkrun on Saturday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - must be dreamin if im near the front.

Cal - 5 laps which is fine, tick off the lsps not thr miles. 8.30am start in case it's warm,  could be a warm last hour though. Downside will be the paths that cross the racecourse as they are gravel and the tight turns, but it gives me 6 weeks.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    TR - LOL - I think you did drop out though half-way. 
    Cal - Good to hear the groin is feeling better.

Now entered Dorney Lake marathon a week on Sunday and viola no more marathon dreams.  Hopefully go a little bit quicker than Taunton as no hills and hopefully no pit-stop.  Faster run yesterday 7m inc 5 @ 6.09 mm. 

So current list looks like:

Shakespeare marathon 24th April - 1SteveMac & Jooligan
    Dorney Lake - OO
    Kempton May - TR
  • TR - good to get something booked.  I’ve been there for some car shows but didn’t look to think how it might host a marathon.

OO - likewise booking Dorney.  Would be good to say hello, I’ll try and find out what shape I’m in but I’m optimistic.

Cal - all the best with the 100th - whereabouts, anywhere special ?

Jools - if it wasn’t nearly 200 miles away I’d join you in Manchester again next year. A big (ish) city marathon without the hassle(apart from the covid).

Fingers crossed I think I got away with covid rather lightly.  Felt ok on the turbo for a few days so being post 5 days, LFT giving the faintest of lines and able to get straight onto country lanes without anyone near by I gave a 4miler a go yesterday.   Stepped it up today with a 3x2km session, 1km in and something objected. Fine at recovery pace so canned the session. Silly little muscle inside back of the leg, probably doesn’t do anything so hopefully a few easy days and lesson learnt (until next time).

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good pace in that 5m OO

Macca - good ro hear you got away with CV lightly, my body ached a lot when i started running again, all the time off your feet doesnt help at all.

6m yday, 8m today, so inching it back up, keeping HR low when i run, legs are pretty achey (doesnt take long for my legs to go on holiday). Will try for something longish tomorrow and see how it goes.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Hope your marathon dreams result in a great performance OO.
    Enjoy your Cowell-collecting 100th Cal.
    Glad to hear you’re back running TR & that CoViD was gentle on you Macca. Hopefully the benching is equally brief.
    Only one run so far this week: 13K over the Severn Bridge & back Wednesday on my way down to Devon. Spent the last 2 days on the tandem with the OH. 90M Round trip from her new place with an overnight stop at her 20-21 winter quarters. Legs are battered from the hills so tomorrow’s parkrun will likely be disappointingly slow.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Cal - Enjoy your 100th parkrun in different place...that is impressive and pretty bloody cool. You'll have to list them all on here!
    Macca/TR - glad you're both feeling better.
    Jools - not another one?!
    OO - and you..
    I'm back up and running daily, just plodding around. Loving these mornings with nice weather and quieter streets. I have entered Manchester half marathon in October, and that is at moment. Not thinking about another marathon this year, not at moment anyway. Thinking about the Great Manc Run next month..expensive for a 10k but I quite like all the razzmatazz and Farah is running it so maybe I can do the mobot when I pass him with a few hundred metres to go.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Macca, that's good news indeed.
    TR, with you on the legs thing. 
    Jools, hope your legs weren't too bad today.
    Westie, good news. The weather's perfect at the moment. I saw Farah when I did the Big Half one year...pretty cool.

I did my 100th different parkrun venue today at South Woodham Ferrers (a mouthful!) in Essex. Lovely parkrun just up from Burnham on Crouch, which I did earlier in the year, and rather similar (this one also borders the River Crouch) though this is a one lapper. It was a mix of (mostly stony) trail, a little grass and a little hard surface. As it wasn't wet I chanced my old Zoom Flys anyway and they were OK.
    A few people I know came with, so it was a nice occasion, made even better by the weather. Actually felt quite hot towards the end.
    Came in at 27:57...my third fastest time of the year so I seem to be recovering from the marathon. It also happens I needed 57 for my parkrun bingo, so was very happy to get that as a bonus.
    My tourism will slow down a bit now, for financial reasons, but I'll still get out there when I can.
    Celebrated after with coffee and cake (there's a stall there, and they did a fab gluten free coffee and walnut cake that wasn't bone dry like most GF cakes are) before taking the two trains and three tube lines back home again.

Westy, just for you... Alexandra, Ally Pally, Burgess Park, Brockwell Park, Barking, Bedfont Lakes, Bushy Park, Banstead Woods, Bethlem Royal Hospital, Bromley, Beckenham Place, Bexley, Beckton, Broadwater, Brooklands, Burnham-on-Crouch, Barclay, Clapham Common, Crystal Palace, Crane Park, Catford, Cassiobury, Cyclopark, Canons Park, Clare, Chalkwell Beach, Charlton, Dulwich, Dartford, Dartford Heath, East Grinstead, Fulham Palace, Finsbury Park, Foots Cray, Gladstone, Grovelands, Gunnersbury, Greenwich, Gunpowder, Highbury Fields, Hampstead Heath, Harrow Lodge, Hanwell, Hoblingwell, Hackney Marshes, Harrow, Hilly Fields, Hazelwood, Heaton Park, Homewood, Harlow, Ifield Mill Pond, Kingston, Kingdom, Lloyd, Luton Wardown, Lullingstone, Mile End, Mole Valley, Northala Fields, Nonsuch, Old Deer Park, Osterley, Orpington, Oak Hill, Peckham Rye, Pymmes, Peel, Panshanger, Queen Elizabeth, Riddlesdown, Roundshaw Downs, Raphael, Rickmansworth, Richmond, Roding Valley, Reigate Priory, Stretford, South Manchester, Southwark, Sunny Hill, South Norwood, Squerryes Winery, Southend, Soham Village College, Sutcliffe Park, Swanley, South Oxhey, South Woodham Ferrers, Tooting Common, Tonbridge, Victoria Dock, Valentines, Wormwood Scrubs, Wanstead Flats, Westmill, Wimbledon, Walthamstow, Wickford Memorial, Woking.