Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - using the race entry system for transfers makes sense, although expensive it will save a lot of admin work by the race director.

Good to hear your fellow Trotter is doing admirable work in Ukraine.

Re the idiotic Covid rules for this weekend, I don't think taking someone's temperature (using a device that is useless as wildly inaccurate)  stop the spread of Covid.  The person who tested positive after the RED event would have contracted it several days before the event and not everyone has a temperature anyway.   Unlikely they had a temperature on race day, if they had they wouldn't have felt well enough to run.

There's then mention of the bloody buff again, although this time it says 'or mask', supposed to have them all the time ready to put on.

And then further idiotic stuff about how often the marshals on the drink station will change their gloves.  What use is that?  😠😠

If they are Covid wary, then they should ask all runners and any supporters to take a lateral flow test before arriving for the race.

I hate to ask, how's the knee today?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - xpost,  good to have you back, hope you enjoyed your holiday despite being confined to the treadmill for training.   Straight back into a long run I see.
    What do you think caused the ITB to play up?   Maybe the change from treadmill to normal running?
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Yes on reflection maybe just going from a treadmill to a hilly long run the likeliest cause. Mileage and intensity been lower the last two weeks so it’s not that. Fingers crossed it’s just a little warning and I haven’t passed that point of stubborn irritation. Don’t feel anything now including going down stairs which is usually the big signal. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That’s a good run straight after coming back from holiday, Rcouture. Fingers crossed you’ve caught the niggle early. 

Shades, it does feel a bit better today compared to yesterday I think, but not really sure why. No running though. 

Ian, how are you doing?  Getting ready for the flight?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise any races still had covid rules,still think it's very weird that you can do anything you want but an outdoor event is doing that.
    Big G-I'm working every day unfortunately, mainly half days though so not too bad.Packed everything for Boston now,just need some more admin stuff like check in,US entry form etc but can't do them until 3 days before.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - let's hope you're finally on the mend.

Ian - that's what I thought too, wouldn't mind if they were sensible logical Covid precautions but they're bonkers.  All talk of how they've filed a Covid policy with licensing body and they even have a named Covid officer.   This is the first time this event has been held so can't be a copy and paste job from previous race info.  I will be raising a complaint.

I do hope you don't have any significant delays at the airport, I'm sure you'll be well prepared.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I hope nobody's niggles are anything serious.
    My groin's been rather niggly so I've not run since Sunday (which was a slow 4 miler). Monday was going to be a gym day anyway but groin got a bit hurty on the way there, which was odd (it didn't start hurting until I'd walked for about 10 minutes). It was, however, fine on the elliptical. I also did a short trip to the gym on Sunday and it had been mostly OK on the run but then really complained during a superset of glute bridges and dead bugs (you know...the sort of exercises that are supposed to fix this kind of thing. <sigh>)
    I also managed to make my abs very sore (my own fault for not training them for ages) so just a walk today. Groin was a bit better but it needs to calm down.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I was just checking my runbritain to see how many of my marathons have been abroad(7/21) and I see they have ranked my relay race as my 4th best race,I know its based on an algorithm that can be skewed but I wasn't expecting it to rank so highly.Happy with that.
    7 miles today,felt really easy,heart rate climbed a bit into a headwind and uphill home but other than that it felt great.
    In other news,8 weeks ago I set a target of losing a stone,as of now I'm 3oz short so I'll call that a win.
    Shades-I am planning on getting to the airport 3.5 hours early,and I'm only half luggage across to Dublin so straight to security.most of the queues at Manchester are at 2b which is Ryanairs section so hopefully I'll be OK.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - is this a reoccurrence of your groin injury that troubled you some time ago?

Sore abs are so uncomfortable 😬

Ian - I thought the delays at the airport were through security or do they have different security arrangements for long haul flights?

Have you got long to wait at Dublin airport?  

3oz is half a cup of tea, well done on hitting your target.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    The queues you see when they were all outside the terminal was 2b,then there was queues for security and they said 60-90mins for them,it's the people who had 2 big queues that were missing flights I guess.
    I'm in Dublin 3.5 hours,it won't be too bad as I've allowed time for my flight being delayed and I clear American immigration at Dublin so that will take some time also.
    I'm getting the train to NYC after the race so I've booked business class so I have plenty of room and comfortable seats.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - 2 long queues would double the waiting time.   I read a news item about the delays, a woman was intending to sue as they missed their flight.  She had to admit though that her and her son both had liquids over 100ml and that caused further delay.  You'd think while they were queuing they'd read the signs and check their hand luggage to ensure they clear security quickly.

Good you can clear USA immigration at Dublin.  I like Dublin airport.  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The amount of people we seen not getting straight through when we went to Cyprus was ridiculous, after so long of liquid rules I was shocked.
  • Options
    Ian great work on the weight loss! Will be worth it’s ‘weight’ in gold on race day.

cal hope the groin and abs calm down! 

Shades some bizarre covid rules from the race! I agree asking people to take a test is more practical.  

Rcouture welcome back and a great run to start with.

Big G parkrun are now claiming you as a family 😆 

Close to 5 miles tonight, legs were a bit heavy so will probably stick to light training between now and Dorney 
  • Options
    Shades - Aye it's that first part of the lap to get back up into the higher bits. With 7 laps a day will soon figure out best way to deal with all the ups and downs though.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - is this parkrun's new media employee making their debut remark ?  :lol:

You've done some decent training, time to taper especially if the legs are feeling a bit tired.

Rest day for me today, am taking 2 days rest before Friday's race, which is what I usually do for an ultra.  Not that it's likely to make much difference.

I am going to do 30 minutes of Pilates at home today.   

I saw my Pilates instructor yesterday at the leisure centre and ducked out of her view.   I understand that she went on holiday and when she returned 4 members of staff had resigned, they were already very short staffed before.   One was gym staff, shame she's really good but moving onto better things so I don't blame her.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - I have 9 laps to do  :o   I think we know how to deal with the ups, certainly in the latter stages.  ;)
  • Options
    Shades my old gym the good staff didn't hang around for too long either, enjoy the rest days.

Keith/ Shades are the laps in the same direction each day? If so that's insane!

Probably a rest day today for me.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, that’s funny!  

Keith/Shades, that doesn’t sound the easiest of courses this weekend!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades...yeah, it's one of my trouble spots. The thing with this one, though, is that it can go acute very quickly if I am not careful. 
    I am doing my 100th different parkrun on Saturday so keen not to stuff it up before then.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - it's a council owned leisure centre so not paid well.

My favourite instructor left during/after first lockdown.   He's now a painter and decorator, they couldn't give him enough hours, he has a family to support.

Re Strawberry Fields, yes as far as I know laps will be the same direction each day.   Easier for navigation as it's turn right, turn right, ditto, ditto until back at HQ.  Each lap is 3.53 miles.

Big G - I'd rather have laps any day rather than out and back for a race.   Its out on the roads which would be my preferred type of course.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - xpost.   Well you can have an easy week, so be as best as possible for Saturday.  Nothing you can do really to speed up groin injury recovery.

How far are you travelling for 100th different parkrun?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rest day again today, wanted to go for a run but have resisted.   :/

Keith - have a good drive down, see you tomorrow.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades/Keith - Good luck at Strawberry fields

Ian - Safe travels and enjoy Boston. Is it on Eurosport or live-streamed?

Cal - Fingers crossed the niggles get sorted pre your 100th

Had a work trip to Paris for a night so got a run in this morning along the river, was lovely (not 
    half as nice as the Thames mind 😀). Knee seemed ok, a dull soreness but still none of that catching feeling that the ITB usually has. Am home alone until Saturday morning when joining the girls at the in-laws in Wales so hoping to get some decent running in till then. 

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Good luck tomorrow and Monday.
    Keith-Good luck everyday you nutter.
    Rcouture-It is on Eurosport,set it up to record.
    Probable last run done,but may do a couple in Boston on Sunday,just 4.5 easy miles with a bit of an effort up the hill home just to lift the heart rate.
    Not sure if they'll have a tracker or it's just the app but my number is 9034 if anyone wants to see how I got on.I will probably post a report on the train down to NYC but that will be quite late here.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, Ian!  It will be a great trip, and I'm looking forward to the report and hearing how it all went.

Shades/Keith, good luck to you both too.
  • Options
    Seems shiny new cars can get from one end of country to other without needing to refuel ;) 7 hours in total with a stop at Keele for toilet and food. Will stick some petrol in in the morning on way over. Will save some money that way by not using service station fuel at 175p a litre......... I'll fill up to top Monday on way over then i can get home again in principle but there is also Rheged which is normal prices. A bit tired but i suspect thats mostly to do with the near midnight bed time last night. Now to decide what to have for dinner as i cba to go into Okehampton today. It's subway, greggs or burger king.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, it's not overly bad...it's certainly better today, anyway. Back out there today (and what a gorgeous morning it was) for a 5 miler. Could feel the groin a little but not enough to worry me. It hasn't got worse since, which is a good sign, so I'm safe to do my parkrun on Saturday.

Rcouture, saw your photos...was it really not as nice as the Thames? I ran along the Tiber in Rome several years ago while on holiday...that was pretty cool.

Ian, have a fantastic time (in both sense of the word)!
  • Options
    Keith and Shades hope you have great runs this weekend.
    Ian hope you have a safe and enjoying trip!
    Cal enjoy your 100th parkrun

A busy weekend for the forum! I'm marshalling at ATW St Albans 10k tomorrow depending on timing may squeeze a few miles in before the first runner.  5 miles steady this evening.

With it being big city marathon time of year, I do get race envy just to do a big city marathon again, probably wait till I hear more from work before I consider booking anything and for my sins I'm back at Dorney for the 4th time in October.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - Everyone’s got their own tastes I suppose but I’m partial to the greener bits of the Thames 🙂. It’s also easier to run directly next to the river in London whereas in Paris much of the banks are elevated so you’re really running next to traffic, and those parts that aren’t have a lot of cobbly bits. Good news on the groin.