Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - ouch, hope that's not too sore today.

I haven't got any after sun but I can bring you some sun protection stuff for tomorrow if you want it?  

More plasters?
    Kinesio tape?

I'm going to do the early start tomorrow too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Keith-Hope today goes well.
    Temp and humidity look great here tomorrow,5-12mph headwind all the way now though,but hoping being lots of people dilutes the effect.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'd like to do Woolacombe, Big G, though it's been eclipsed by Great Yarmouth as the toughest one on sand. Hardest on that list I've done is Lullingstone (694) although I found Queen Elizabeth (675) tougher. Perhaps because I did QE when it was muddy and Lullingstone when it was dry. Neither was as bad as Homewood (629) but that was hard because of the sheer number of tree roots, on top of some muddy bits and a bit of climbing.  I am not good on technical courses. That is by far my personal worst of the ones I've run (as opposed to walked).

Good luck today, Keith.

I also opted to rest today as they needed another marshal at Figges Marsh junior parkrun (2 miles from me) so I decided a walk there and back was enough for today and I can run tomorrow instead. 
  • I got some factor 50 at the start and it was less bad today from the sun. Foot not too bad either, no noticing big toe blister and not too much from other one either.
    If i hadn't bothered walking the last lap with a couple of others who were a lap behind me from the early starters would have been faster than the first one. 5:50 for today and feel better than yesterday and have managed to eat a large pasty. NB Jumbo is the biggest ;) but i did have my ice cream first.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's still very good conditions, perfect.

Hope you've treated yourself to some nice kit at the expo.

Keith - that's a great day from you today.  Good news on the sore toes.

It's reassuring when you're eating normally again.  😋

I think tomorrow will be cool conditions, just packed my gloves.
  • Keith nice recovery food! Good luck tomorrow.  I done ACC which was 3 days but couldn’t imagine getting up and out for a fourth!

Cal well done for marshalling on a rest day

Ian sounds like reasonable conditions for tomorrow hope you have a great race

shades nice bling, tomorrow you can say that you have two medals with strawberries on them. Hope you’re recovering well.

Big G really fancy Lanhydrock parkrun next time I’m down

Cal well done on the 100 locations, a lot of planning gone into those! I’ve done a few races and marshalled round where you were running, certainly looks like a nice parkrun.  Well done on the parkrun bingo too. I had a look what I need and at around 80%.

Yesterday opted to do some gardening and study instead or running, woke up this morning bit of a stiff back but not too bad.  9 easy miles this morning will be my last longer run before Dorney, need to message my masseuse and see if I can get booked in tues or Wednesday to give me time to have a couple of shakeouts before Sunday.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Expo done,managed to resist a bit but bought some things as expected.
    Going to a bar to watch the basketball play offs later just by me,just to pass some time.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Ian. Glad you got the number sorted. Are you staying fairly close to the start area?  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-No,I'm in Boston,we have to get buses out to Hopkinton then run back.
    You can stay that way but I'd much rather be nearer the finish.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, sorry, I remember you saying before now, and you’re getting the busses to the start. Are you fairly close (ie, easy post-marathon walking distance) to the finish then?  Have you got a place to eat sorted for tonight?  I always like that at these big events as there tends to be lots of runners milling around, particularly at the Italian places. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Yes I have a restaurant booked at 6,I'm about a 20 min walk away,50 after racing 😂
    It's a proper running feel,seems to be runners everywhere, and everyehere you go people are talking and asking about it,probably because it's a smaller city than NYC everyone is condensed and the whole city is involved tomorrow by the looks of it.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Keith - Great running and good luck for the next batch 

Shades - Likewise! Sorry I couldn’t help chuckling at you having to wade through a procession during your race 😀

Ian - What goodies did you get at the expo then, any shoes? Best of luck tomorrow 

Rob - Nice 9 miles. Do you do massages regularly post long runs? 

Cal - Well done on parkrun 100. I really need to get to my no1. 

Drove to Wales to the in-laws for Easter egg hunt for the girls and their cousins yesterday so had a rest day (which in practice was anything but trying to manage 10 kids under 9). Drove back today and popped out for a roasting 6 miles. 20 miler planned with some MP tomorrow so fingers crossed the knee holds up. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nice one. I’ll got the tracker, so very best of luck! I’ve got a couple of club mates over there too, and I’m looking forward to the coverage :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's a great picture.   In your new Boston marathon jacket/top?
  • Ian miss the buzz of a big marathon!  Hope you enjoy your purchases and car loading! 

Rcouture pre my injuries and fall I used to have 3 massages for a training block usually have a massage 6-10 days out.  

Bit more gardening this afternoon trying to dig up roots from a bush, think I’ve done enough until after the marathon now! 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I didn't get shoes,the top in the pic and a couple of tshirts,and the framed pic/medal I have from all my majors.
    Shades-Yes it is,I didn't get the actual Boston jacket as the sizes didn't fit me great,1 too big,next felt too tight but the sizes on that jacket felt right.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good luck 😊
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    So exciting, Ian...good luck today! 
    Rcouture...no excuse, you've got a good one right on the common there. While you're at it, you need to sign up for Wimbledon trail series! https://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/RaceDetails.asp?RaceID=29391
    I am signed up again despite the fact I'm rubbish at the technical parts...it's great fun though.
    Rob...definitely! Take it easy now and don't strain your back. 
    Keith, great job there - glad the toes were OK.

Up early today and out for just before 6am. Absolutely perfect weather - blue skies, sun, but nicely cool on my skin so I didn't get too hot. Still plenty of blossoms (mostly cherries now) and also bluebells in some of the woodier bits. Ran 10 miles...a few aches and pains but most eased off. My right knee was a bit grouchy...I think it's because I sat a lot yesterday (once I'd got home from the junior parkrun). I need to remind myself to get up and stretch or walk around way more often than I actually do, but I do get so absorbed when I'm playing a game. Eh well. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jacket looks great, Ian. Very best of luck with it all, and looking forward to the report etc. 

Rcouture, best of luck with your 20 miler as well. You seem to be running great, in plenty of time for Copenhagen too. Brilliant news. 

Robert, my garden is a never ending project that is never finished. We go through phases where we spend some time making it nicer, but it doesn’t last long. We’re in the process of getting lots of veg out there again for this year, which we do enjoy though, although last year was a poor year.  

Steve, how are you doing?  Is the niggle under control?

Cal, 10 miles is decent and sounds like you mainly enjoyed it. 

I hope Shades and Keith are going well. It seems a bit cooler today. 

I was supposed to be going footie today with a load of Trotters, but I’m not feeling 100% and decided that standing around in the cold for a couple of hours may not be the best idea today.  It’s a shame as I was looking forward to it, but I’ll be watching Boston live instead :)
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Big G - Sounds like you’ve made the right choice there with the footie. That’s one of the few things I don’t like in living in London is not being able to grow proper veg. Most involved we have are some difficult tomatoes.

Cal - Nice run. It got a bit warmer for mine. 

Ian - Can’t wait for the report, sure you’ll smash it. 

Shades/Keith - Good luck today

20 miles for me split 10k at MAF, 10k a bit faster, 10k MP and a CD (why I have split it in km vs miles I have no idea). MP was 7:23 min/mi which is a bit slower than target 7:15 but it was getting hot by then. Felt quite tough to be honest and more so than the 20mile race a few weeks back. Anyway knee held up aside from a bit of moaning during the slower cool-down as usual. Rest day tomorrow.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Think I'm going to split this in to 2 parts as it may be long.
    It has been a great atmosphere in Boston the last couple of days.
    I had a bag drop time of 7.30 with a 10.25 start time,got there right on time and bag was gone in seconds,then to the bus queue which were massive,but really well organised and I was on the bus in less than 30 mins,all fine until our driver decided to miss the turn off,lots of panicking Americans on the bus but I'm fine,just means less time hanging around at the start.
    Finally at the athletes village at 9.35 so only 50 mins to go,queue for toilets etc and I'll be off to the start area.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian has started at 15:26 (U.K. time), according to the app. Good to see him get going. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Cal - good you're back running double figure runs.

Big G - hope you're OK.  You did the right thing skipping the football.  Having worked at Plainmoor I can say it is bloody freezing there, coldest job I ever had.

Rcouture - interesting the 'difficult tomatoes'   ;)

Well done on your 20 miler, you still have time to fine tune that pace and as you know a race is so different to a training run when running race pace.

Ian - I like the race report in instalments.   I can just imagine all those nervous runners when the driver missed the turning.

Tough day for me today, as expected, 2nd 50k in 4 days.   It was too cold for me for the first few miles, so took a bit longer for my legs to warm up.   Legs were a bit tired but OK but I didn't have much energy.   Took caffeine tablet at 10 miles, so a lot earlier than usual but it did perk me up and although I was struggling at times I had no problem with my knee or foot or sore toes and it never crossed my mind to DNF   Just a general lack of energy.   Once I got to 22 miles my walk breaks were getting a lot longer and I walked 90% of the last 7 miles.   Finish time 6:47, so 17 minutes slower than Friday which considering my lack of marathons or long runs this year isn't so bad.  I'm glad I did the two ultras in 4 days, but now I have to do 2 recovery runs in 4 days.  😭

Keith - is driving part of the way home now, he had a great day but I'll leave that for him to tell all. 

Big G - looks likely the event will be on again next Easter and the course will get a measurement certificate if you fancy your 50k debut.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm stalking Ian on the tracker too  :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Amazing finish for the ladies race, where the lead changed hands about 4 times in the last mile or so!
  • I have reached Tewkesbury. Traffic was a bitch, small issue Exeter cos crash where other vehicle not even there..... Then stop start Taunton to Clevedon.
    As Shades said I had a good day as i managed to go sub 5 somehow. I did say 3 days training then go faster though ;) Now despite ice cream and bacon and cheese wrap before leaving and now a large pasty there is a meal deal here as there is a restaurant downstairs with burger or pizza and a drink £8.95 so be wrong not to do that too right ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - I heard the M5 was very sticky.

Well done again today, and for all the 4 days.   I'll post the marathon list once we've had the full results.

Agree it would be wrong not to take up that food offer, you've got a lot of energy to replenish.

• I'll er do a recovery amble to and from the shop tomorrow cos i suspect it will ache far too much to run ;) That and i am beginning to peel unsurprisngly
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, significant change when I saw you today.  You looked like you'd spent the weekend on the beach in Spain.  😎
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Keith - Great job on the sub 5 and the crazy amount of running in the last few days. That meal deal is fully deserved especially at that price (did you go burger or pizza in the end???)

Shades - Well done. I can’t imagine a 50k with no long runs in the lead up. 

Big G - Really exciting finish indeed. There did seem to be quite a lot of argy bargy going on and mind games from the winner. She looked done and dusted at several points in the last mile but seemed to have kept an extra gear for the end.