Sub 3

Comments

• Hello all.

I've been lurking in the background being impressed by some of the awesome performances that have been put in. Sad from a personal note to watch a spring marathon season come and go but great to see that others are in top shape or at the very least returning to form. Have not posted lately for reasons you'd probably expect.

There's been no progress on running front. Injection has made no notable difference. I'm really trying to stay disciplined on the stretching front but still I can feel a little pain and tightness after 1 mile run/walking. I think the physio is fully on board being a bit baffled as to what is going on. Feels like we must be missing something? I can walk for an hour pain free but it seems as soon as I break into a trot my knee gets aggravated. Coming up to the six month mark of virtually no running.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Great session SJ.
    Shame you've gone from Strava but understand if it was wasting time/inspiring negative thoughts/feelings.
    Thanks for mentioning my 3rd marathon in as many weeks - not to be recommended at my age without some serious R&R between.
    I will mainly be cycling this week though.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe.. so sorry, that is very frustrating for you.  FWIW a clubmate was recently told he had tendinopathy in his groin & high hamstring area.  He got a 2nd opinion and turns out he has a stress fracture!  As before, I really hope you can sort this one way or another.

Jooligan.. well deserved bike rides, enjoy the rest on your savaged limbs.

TT.. my run today took me around the Tesco car park, I was in 'eyes in back of head' mode.  Latest dog walking service spotted today..  'Bloomingtails'.  🙂

12.4m today, furthest run post covid.  Breathing much better so I guess I'm well into the recovery period now.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - nice one on the session. No need to tear up trees, i like to keep it a bit eithin myself in sessions, its why the 10% stuff works well........i browse strava, but its important to do your ow training, im way to old and knackered to some of the stuff youll see on domething like the inside jogging strava.

TT - good news you're recovering well.

Joe - thats a real shame, time to try elsewhere? Id be trying to get going again if i were you.

Wardi - good news on the 12m, hipefully you can build up more now.

6m commute this morning, turbo intervals this evening.......if Brighton had gone to plan, tonight would have been race1 of my summer 5k series, but Brighton didnt, and im too beaten up so i was on the turbo. My main sim is to be able to run 20something miles for the next few saturdays as this saturday will be 5 weeks since the last.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Jools - I never thought of it like that with the muscle soreness but yeah, it makes perfect sense. Good job on the blood donation. I should try again - recurrent anaemia issues put paid to past attempts. 

sj - fair enough. I have occasional periods where I shut stuff down for similar reasons. Good shout on the honey; I'd forgotten about that. If you can't get the book I've put some of the schedules and notes in a spreadsheet that I can send you. 

joe - sorry to read you're no further along. I'm with TR on this. If you start back and something goes then at least you know what you're working with. 

Jooligan - you've got legs of steel! Well done. 

Wardi - good to see you continuing to recover post covid. That dog one took me a few seconds to get. Lol. 

TR - good plan with the 20 milers. Maybe a bit of sharpening in there too might be an idea? 

Track last night. Didn't have a session planned as I'm gently feeling my way back post Manchester. I never felt coordinated but paces were decent, particularly given that I ran reasonably controlled, so I'll take that. 4 x 400m + 4 x 800m, all off of 1 lap jog recoveries. Got 76, 76, 75, 74, 2:45, 2:42, 2:42, 2:35.
  • Joe - good to hear from you but obviously gutted for you that you are no closer to getting back going again. I sympathise completely with the lack of diagnosis which hinders being able to target a possible solution. In the end I basically did what TR/TT are suggesting and started back super cautiously. Grass running for 10 mins twice a week to begin with. I felt ropey from lack of running more than anything by that point. Perhaps the knee will settle from a gradual increase in loading? 

Jooligan - enjoy those rides. Definitely earned the running break and then some. Superb mate. 

TR - nice work on the run/turbo double. Do you plan to run the other 5k races in the series? 

Wardi - good to see you feeling better and getting back to it post covid. Our club had a training weekend up in the lakes recently (I didn't go). Turned out to be a bit of a melting pot for covid as a few returned positive. 

TT - nicely controlled session. I'm struggling to source a copy of that book. I'm a big fan of spreadsheets much to Mrs SJ's dismay :) 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    SJ.. decent session the other night, good to see you getting back to it.

TT.. nice numbers in that track session, you seem to be recovering nicely.

2 x 4m today, a bit on the cool side but nice temps for running ATM with very light winds.

Our en suite shower packed in today (no hot water).  We are replacing it in July anyway so might make do with the upstairs 'guest' shower until then which is working fine.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    TT - well controlled session.

SJ - race 2 defo no as its a few days before kempton, the other 3 are possibles.

Wardi - cold water will be fine until July !

15m commute home, havnt done that for a long time on a school night, bit of a trudge, but good time on feet.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Joe - That's bad luck. I am clutching at straws here, and famous last words of if it was me,  but I would be tempted to chuck everything at it (freeze packs, massage gels e.g. flexiseq, massage, soft surfaces) take a few pain killers go for a few runs and after a week see how it goes. 
    TT - Uncanny with the car hits/ near hits and that's a consistency good session banked. 
    SJ - I've just started following you!  But take your point. Old media skool is best.
    TR - Good to see you get fully back into it.  
    Wardi - Nice doubling.  Had a look at PO10 and yes good to see DanA, one of my running heroes, running again. 

Tried a 4m yesterday but have a slight hamstring issue so will take it easy for a few more days.  Decided not to run the Exeter marathon on 15th May as that would mean't 3 raced marathons in 6 weeks and that's asking for trouble.

So going to focus my training and racing now on my mountain ultra in the Alps in August, partly motivated as the organisers for 2022 have rather positively split the 50-59 age category, and created a 55-59 age category, so getting a 1,2 or 3 placing there is the priority.  So next race is Afan Valley mountain marathon in South Wales late June, a Covid hangover from 2020. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR..  that's a decent commute, good miles even if trudged!

OO.. dodging Exeter probably wise if you're feeling a bit bashed up.  Re. DanA, I was in Barca the year he ran his one and only sub 2.45, bet that result is pinned to his notice board.  JAP ran it that year too.

Just over 5m in the sun earlier.  I'm off to Parkrun tomorrow to see if I'm anywhere back to speed 4 weeks on from covid.  Forecast 5mph winds might help!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - youve banked two strong maras, good idea on getting ready for the trails now.

Wardi - hopefully you'll see a bit of improvement on a better day. My body still aches during and after running, so i reckon i did have a run in with CV recently.

Last time i did 15m on a school day was july, so just 5m easy today. Hopefully a 20something tomorrow.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    OO - wise to take it steady and dns at Exeter with the hammy issue. Rest of year sounds great and fantastic target. 

Wardi - lucky having the second shower. Hope parkrun went well. 

TR - solid mlr on a school night as you say. I'm taking it easy atm so no need to add anything over 16k through the week. In fact, I'm capping my long run at that too for a few weeks. Hope the long run went well today. Warm weather so hope you were out early doors. 

Parkrun for me again this morning. Another PB but by a mere 4 seconds. Conditions were much better than last week and as a result I think I paced it better. The hill was a few seconds quicker too. I was well beaten into 4th place by a fast guy pushing a stroller. 2nd highest attendance in the country last week. 

Long run tomorrow but out for a bite to eat and a few drinks this arvo so will be a hazy run no doubt. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - enjpy the dinner, i had a few frothies to sweat out today. Was a pretty chilly breeze here so didnt get toowarm running.

Aim was for 20something as its been 5 weeks. Was a shock to the legs too, 8m easy, 13m approx +10%, the 13m seemed to be a long way, but the last 2m were flat and i was able to push on a bit. Nearly puked afterwards (i prefer to save that for marathon day). I feel a long way from being marathon ready in 4wks.
    Saw a route map for kempton, loads of zig zagging about on the paths around the racecourse, loads of tight turns, looks less than ideal, but cant see any alternatives.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    TR.. the first long run after a bit of a break is usually the hardest, keep the faith!  Well toughed out anyway.

SJ.  congrats on the Parkrun PB however small!!  Enjoy the afternoon nibbles and tipples.

The last couple of Parkruns for me have felt like the handbrake was on (22 37 & 22 31).  By contrast I felt like Popeye with a bowl of spinach this morning, 21.41 on the board so I guess the covid is out of my system.  84th/536, I was well down the club pecking order though as a few of our fast boys turned up - 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 14th &15th.
    Mrs Wardi improved again with 24.24, she's now on 83% age grade so a successful day all told.
    Sunny, light winds and 10 degrees here so nice running conditions.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - 20sec a mile is a big jump, good to see you feeling better.

I had dodgy stomach, aches and shivers last night, which probably contributed to my long run feeling tough. Turbo intervals today. Would have been a nice day for racing today, probably because I'm not.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you were out of sorts last night TR, hope the turbo workout went well.

BTW I see Lord Dids clocked 36.13 for 10k today, he's going well.  

Yes I felt much more energised yesterday, nice to get these pesky viruses out of our system.

A straight 10m today took me to 63m for the week, first time over 60m for a while.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Defo on the up then wardi......fair play to Dids, thats pretty sharp as an M55, especially with all that drag from that quiff.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Speaking of V55's there was a speedy one at our Parkrun yesterday.  17.18 for 6th place, 90.37% a/g!
    edited May 2022
    Wardi - good to see you back going well at parkrun and nice bonus back over 60 miles too for the week. 

TR - well gritted out long run then if you were not 100%.

As expected a little bit of a headache this morning. Definitely not match fit but 5 pints of Guinness will do that to you. 

16k this morning. Out and back along the canal, easy out, picked it up coming back. Humid conditions here as I was soaked through at the end. Lazy rest of the day. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - dids time is pretty equivalent to that then, good for him.

SJ - nice boozing skills. Bit damp here today, only drizzly, no wind though. Would have been good conditions for north dorset mara, but it would have been too soon. We were out with doggy on the coast early, spo remarked that it was a whole lot less windy than at worthing last sunday...........
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Well done getting 60+mpw and the PR time, must be quite a relief to know that the lingering effects of CV are fast fading.  90%+ is international standard. 
    TR - Good to get a LSR bagged, take it easy though.
    SJ - 5 pints, the age of living dangerously!  Nice 16km. 

Back to it, 2*4m doubles on Saturday and 2*5m yesterday, fancy a longish MTB ride today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Double doubles is good going OO

I did 8m early and then the same again in my walking shoes with the spo and doggy.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I had 4 beers and 2 glasses of shiraz last night, despite this I felt relatively sober compared to some of the Bank Holiday revellers in the bar!

5.3m this morning, 14 degrees and not a breath of wind.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    4 beers and 2 glasses of wine?  Half of that would more than finish me off these days!  (Somehow in lockdown Mr. J and I started drinking even less than usual, and so even a pint of beer is a pretty big night: we'd typically split a can of beer with a meal if anything.)

5 miles run/walk this morning: now on 5:15/0:45.  Today was the first day I felt a bit more human after giving blood, but I guess that given the amount of iron you lose it's not surprising it takes a while.  The new Garmin was very excited that I managed a 7:48 mile and a 24:58 5K.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    sj - I've dropped you a message with the spreadsheet on here. Mrs TT has the same dismay about my spreadsheets! Nicely done with the parkrun pb.

OO - probably sensible on the Exeter Marathon.

TR - well done on the 15 and 20. If you're not feeling the Kempton course is it worth just waiting for an autumn marathon altogether?

Wardi - good post covid signs, and well done to Mrs Wardi too.

Jools - good to see continued recovery. 

I've had 5 days of work on fencing at home (digging out holes through concrete, stony ground, etc, plus lugging stuff around, climbing trees to cut down branches, etc) so running was at a minimum.
    It turns out that doing a 10k after 4 days of hardcore manual labour (including carrying concrete gravel boards and poles weighing between 45-50kg each across a few hundred metres of bumpy parkland) doesn't lead to feeling great for it. Tbh I only turned up because it was TT jr' first ever 10k.

The course was a lot more undulating than I expected, which combined with a tight/sore back and dead hamstrings meant I got to 6km in 21:13, at which stage my back started to ease a little bit (though hamstrings were still unresponsive) and I managed to close out the last 4km at a 34-flat 10km pace. Ended up with 34:50 for 4th place.
    Jr got his sub-40 target despite getting clipped and hurting his leg at 7km, so happy days :smile:

I celebrated by coming home and doing the last bit of digging out ahead of the last of the fencing materials being delivered in the next few days. It was probably the hardest bit of work I'd done all week!!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Good boozing skills wardi

Jools - 1/2 a can of beer is very restrained, good for you. Well done for the donation.

Great stuff TT, thats a whole load of hard work........i want to tick my marathon box given all the miles run, and get the gfa in earlyas London will be on the last day of the window.

Still a bit off the boil, tummy still a bit iffy and i felt a bit vacant during my commute run home, however i managed to get the planned decent length mlr done with 16m, so good time on feet as i took it real easy.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TT.. you seem to be the jack of all trades.  :)  Congrats on the high placing after all that heavy graft.  Good stuff from junior too.

By way of contrast I had the mundane and dirty job of clearing a long section of guttering today after finding the source of an overnight dripping noise.

Jools .. I did spread that tippling over a few hours so was only slightly woozy.  :|   Good to see you're making progress.

4.3m + 7.5m double today after the chores were done.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    TT - Impressed by your fencing abilities and then to be able to knock out a sub 35 off the bat.  Congratulations to TT Junior on his debut, a sub 40 sounds very promising and hope he enjoyed it.

Taken up one of those Strava challenges on climbing metres in May,  which coincides nicely with having to ramp up my climbing in anticipation for the Alpine challenges in the summer, so a few 5m d&d with some 2,500 ft of easy climbing.    Noticed my 56k race has 3,500 m of climbing and the same of descent so will look to step up over the next few weeks. I am off for a 4 day running and hiking break to Chamonix in mid June so will be good to run some of the OCC race route and remind myself of the particular challenges of Alpine ascents, though it is the descents where I am weak, as keep on reminding myself Scott Witchalls fall and broken ribs accidents when descending when he ran the OCC in 2019?
    TT - thanks for the spreadsheet and notes. I haven't taken a look just yet but will give it some focus in coming days. Top manual labour work and then the impressive 10k as well. Good stuff from Jnr too. 

Wardi - excellent boozing skills and sounds like superb pacing. 

Jools - It's a rarity for me too these days. Good to see more progress and almost the elimination of the walking sections.  

OO - sounds like your plans are nicely in place for the summer ahead. The 4 day trip to Chamonix a particular highlight I'm sure. Descending is my Achilles heel too. 
    Forgot to say earlier... noted that mlr TR. Superb dedication as always.