Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. good news re. the treadie then.  Nice double yesterday with a tasty session in the evening, not surprised you were wilting at the end.

TR..  thankfully we didn't manage to lose the lead runner :) .  1st in 32.20 which was pretty impressive with the first 3k into a strong wind and a couple of moderate hills to deal with. 

My small town club are punching above their weight, 6 male runners in the top 15 to top the team contest.

7.4m + 4.2m double today.  Still quite blowy here but looks like it will calm down by the weekend.

Anyone planning to watch night of the 10,000 PB'S?  Looks like the whole thing can be live streamed and available on BBC iPlayer from 7pm Saturday.👍

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    That session will do you good SJ

Wardi - good that he never overtook you

Ran home in the rain today hasn't haopened in a while. Been on the tummy meds (gaviscon type) for a couple of days, hopefully it'll help sort things out,  which will help overall.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - you must have been cycling at a good pace what keeping eyes on the route and the leader, well done.  Nice double.

Smaller double for me 9m in total but another 1200' logged.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Wardi - glad to read the race/lead bike duties went off well. I've never made time for the 'extras' but I think I'm at the stage now where dropping a mile here or there for the extras will be worth the trade-off. Handy having a personal teacher! :) 

TR - I can get that with feeling off the boil. Hopefully if you keep pegging away it'll come good before Kempton.

sj - shame with the reps getting slower but if the effort was there then that's something.

Track yesterday. Just starting to get my head into training properly again and wanted the confidence of completing a session as planned for a change as well so chose a 'starter' session to get the ball rolling. 800 (2:36), 1200 (3:57), 1600 (5:24), 2000 (6:46 - 3:27/3:19 split). I then put my spikes on for 2 x 200m (34, 32) as a bonus. Given that the last time I wore spikes on a track was almost 30 years ago it felt weird (but was fun).
  • Definitely looking forward to watching it Wardi!

5 mile race last night. I've clearly forgotten how to pace shorter races. Even with a mighty tailwind a 5.50 1st mile was suicidal. Mile 2 was half and half and came out at 6.07, Mile 3 was a mighty headwind and slower than HM pace, light tailwind in mile 4 on a sheltered road, only just hanging on to the same pace, then mile 5 entirely into the headwind down the boating lake. I thought I was going to die/be sick/collapse/grind to a halt, not necessarily in that order. Only because I rarely race road 5 milers it was a PB by over a minute and I finished 2nd. I have a feeling that 3rd was closing me down rapidly though. Oof, out of practice at racing!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - nice one, i hope your spikes arnt 30 yrs old. I havnt had a pair for longer than that.

CC - you forgot to put shit yourself.

Tried to get going a bit today and did 10m as 5m easy, 5m proressive ending up at mp, and then a 4m womble home, so my bike is at the right end for tomorrow. Still feel a bit woozy at time running.
    Local 10k Sunday, so we'll see how i feel during and after.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    A grim ordeal CC2 but a podium spot and a PB is a welcome reward, nicely done.
    I saw 10,000 PB's live in 2018 and loved the close up atmosphere.  Also not many events in London where it's free entry.  🤔

TT..  that's a good sharp session to get you back in the training groove.

Just over 10m today around the local countryside, breezy again but pleasantly warm.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    CC - your one tough cookie and well done for putting yourself in the hurt-zone.
    Good rewards too.
    TR - Good luck on the 10K. 
    TT - Great looking session, always interested in how you mix and vary your training, and some pretty rapid paces. 
    Wardi - I think my peak athletics viewing was in the days of Brendan Foster and the Coe-Ovett rivalry , sounds you had a good run. 

Still doubling and running up every local hill I can find.  Went on a magical mystery tour last night, running in the local vicinity but on roads / lanes I don't normally use just seeing where they take me - a local housing estate it seems!.  All in 11m and 1600' logged.  Had to resist a strong urge to enter this Sunday's Exeter marathon but memories of the rather dull course and the warm temps forecast made me see sense.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - breeze up again here too, no surprise that rain and breeze is forecast for my 10k sunday.

OO - good stuff. I looked at Exeter but it was show as a trail or multi terrain race so not sure it'd count for gfa.

Creaky 8m earlier. M55 today, so will have a couple of frothies later. I get an extra 5 mins gfa allowance that i hopefully wont need for a few years.

I cracked and put my hat in the Brighton 2023 ring, i cant let that lie without having a good day there.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    TT - nice session and getting those spikes out must have been very nostalgic. 

CC - congrats on the 2nd place. 

OO - Nice on the continued doubles and hilly routes. I do like a bit of a magical mystery tour myself. Although finding super overgrown paths and proceeding through them getting caught in nettles is never a good thing. 

TR - You'll crack Brighton one day... or it will crack you! Glad to read you won't be beaten. You never know, the weather might just play fair too in 2023. Btw, I got round to catching up on IRP and remembered you mentioning Moose had some good advice on drills. I had to listen several times before having a guess at the name of the guy he recommended on YouTube. Turns out it was exactly as I thought I heard it. Here is the video in case you didn't search it out after listening to the pod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhzzpZVMtl4

Not much happening this week at this end. Something troubling me with my right leg/knee. It was a bit dodgy at the weekend on the fell race recce. Leg almost giving way on occasion. I figured it might have been squats or lunges performed with poor form. So I ran the session on tues and combined with recent efforts at parkrun I might have done a bit too much. I turned back home after 1.5k on weds as I could feel it and have learned to stop rather than battle through since last year. 

I did some (aforementioned) drills in the garden yesterday after taking some ibuprofen on weds night and it seemed ok so went out for a run along the tow path. It appeared to have settled but I did feel a twinge or two on the slight hills.

So, no running until Sunday's.... Fell race !!! Ordinarily I would pull out but I'm a last minute replacement myself and the guy organising hasn't got much hair left at this rate with lots of changes to the teams. I'm hoping the leg a) holds up and b) I don't put myself on the bench for a while. 

Nice going Wardi on the 10 miler ! Breezy here too for last couple of days. Garden needs a tidy up again. Cheers for the heads-up on the night of 10,000 pb's. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - cheers for the link, there's loads on youtube, ive stopped the lunges, deadlifts etc at the mo and am on the drills, few hops, skips, fast feet etc after each run,  even did what moose said and did some after my 21m last saturday, was amazed i could do a few after that. Think its helping my glute/hammy issue, but its giving me a lot of doms in other places........time will tell..........sounds like you've got away with minimal damage.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. Best of luck with the lumpy fell race, hope the old body holds together.

TR..  happy birthday, hope the frothies are going down well.  Shame about your Sunday forecast, looks ok up here.  Good approach to Brighton, you should get a good day eventually. 
    Mind you I ran the East Hull 20 near the coast many times but I can only remember a couple of calm days.

OO.. interesting mystery tour!  More good climbing on the board.

Just a steady 4m today,  I'll save the legs for a blast at Parkrun in the morning.  After 20mph winds today the Saturday forecast is 6-7mph winds and sun. 🌞 
    edited May 2022
    Belated birthday wishes TR... I somehow missed that until reading Wardi's reply! 

Good to hear you are feeling some positives from the drills already. I'm going to knock the weights for the legs on the head for a while too, I'm obviously not strong enough just yet. Hopefully the weather turns for you tomorrow. 

Wardi - hope the parkrun blast goes well now that the weather is calmer. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - cheers, the weather didnt fail me at Brighton this year, good health did, next yr its 3 wks before vlm, so if i cop a gale ill roll it over.......hope yr parkrun went well, wind has dropped off a bit here today. It will be back tomorrow.

SJ - cheers, i will bring the s and c back after kempton, when im a bit more used to the drills. The drills are making my OP ache but going fwd i think they're worth sticking with. Full range of motion functional fitness has to be a good idea rather than just 1000s of reps of shuffling along.

4m easy, finished at the end of the road then hopped and skipped home.

10k tomorrow in local coastal country park, it says theres tight turns and not the best road surface, but it will be a good test of health and fitness. Got Bognor prom 10k following week which should be quicker (on a calm day).
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hope the 10k goes well TR, plus the wind stays away.

Still felt a bit rusty at Parkrun but gained 16 secs on last week so I'll take that as mini progress.  Rounded it up to 10m with add ons.

Two of my faster club lads showed up eyeing a podium spot.  They did get 2nd & 3rd (16.01, 16.30) but they were well beaten by the course record holder who clocked 14.55!

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Those are swift times for PR, still fondly remember my only PR in Cardiff notable for the female world record being set.

Some interesting points on S&C. I do very little, if any, as fear the extra loading can cause as many injuries as they can help avoid.

Good luck SJ, hope the fell race goes well and you come out of it in one good peice.

Hoping TR has a really good one today.

A pleasant hilly 8m in the sun yesterday another 1000' notched up, something similar with a few more miles today. Nearly run 5000 metres now in May, 3500m to go to the national Everest summit. Still feel like I am in recovery mode from my April marathons as a few aches and pains, though nothing serious.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Decent progression Wardi

OO - the s and c can stir things up. Well done on the climbing.

I had a solid if unspectacular hit out. No surprises that a country park 10k was a bit rolling and gravelly underfoot, got stuck behind traffic in the first mile on the skinny paths, but ran ok after that with no tummy or 'woozy' issues, so thats a positive. 38.38. I did 37:20 two weeks before vlm, so im not where i was then, but id probably go 37something on a better course, giving it a bit of welly. We'll see next Sunday.

The rain went through overnight, but it got very dark and then absolutely hosed it down with about 3k left, and it all ended up a bit flooded.
    Wardi - nice to see you moving in the right direction once again at parkrun. Excellent padding to make up the double digit run. 

OO - as TR says, excellent climbing totals already for May. 

TR - a decent hit out nonetheless this morning and you know roughly where you are now. 

No fell race for me in the end. MiL was rushed into hospital with breathing difficulties from her care home last night so I had to make that call to the team manager. There was one more reserve left so I didn't let anyone down, probably a blessing in disguise.

MiL is a fighter but tests are ongoing to ascertain the sudden onset of her issues. She has advanced vascular dementia so we are hoping for the best. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - best wishes to the MiL and yr family. More important for you to be with yr family than race for sure.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. my BIL recently lost his sister to the same condition, she'd had it for many years and had no speech at the end.  It is a wretched illness, I hope you get some better news.

TR.. sounds like a decent effort considering the course and the downpour.  A good dress rehearsal for next week.

OO.. decent climbing totals so far. Is it still Charlotte Arter with the ladies Parkrun record?

I did enjoy the 10,000 PB'S coverage, some great races and it seemed a lot more intimate than the usual stadium event.
    Just over 11m this morning, cloudy but still quite warm.  Just started raining here but nothing heavy.
    62m for the week.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Congratulations, that's a really good time and as you say more to come on a better come.
    SJ - Hope the news gets more positive.
    Wardi - Good 11m and a swifter PR and well done on another 63m week.  The record is held by an Aussie now 15.38!!

A good 8m run yesterday in the sun - pretty sticky to bring up 5,250m now and currently 3,300 place, was in 1,900th position yesterday morning so lots of people doing their more hilly longer Sunday runs.  No running day today so a 10m bike ride. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - looks like everyone did a hilly long run for sure 

I did a 10k 2 wks before vlm and then did 16m the next day in lieu of a long run. Had the jam jar today as i had to drop the doggy at the vets early doors. So planned 8m out and 8m back after work, trouble is i was real sore (from yday ? from Cv?) After 6m, but pushed on to the turnaround and then had to suck up 8 miserable and sore miles back to the car. Bit silly that one. We'll see if its a bsckward step in due course. Im away with work for a couple of days, so goid time to have some easy days.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I sometimes have runs like that TR, often difficult to know whether to push on or take it easy for a day or two.

OO.. I guess Charlotte still has the GB record?  Either way good speed from the ladies!

5.2m recovery run this morning.  Intermittent rain, though it was too warm for a rain jacket or gilet so I just accepted having a damp t-shirt at the end. 
  • Belated happy birthday TR! 

The weekend involved two track races for me. County Champs. Masters 3000m on Saturday (10.52.87) and Senior 1500m on Sunday (5.04.51). I won both, but there's no real competition. The champs are so poorly supported. I just use them as race practice because they're nice and local. OK for the first races of the season, but christ my calves are making me pay for that. I forgot to take compression socks for afterwards. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - agreed, should have cut is shorter.

CC - well run, congrats. Is that in spikes?

Just did a warm 7m past the excell, shame i couldnt pick up my  my number whilst im in the neighbourhood.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CC2.  I guess those distances are quite rare for us distance runners.  It is a relatively short time in the hurt box but my lungs usually feel like they're on fire!  Congrats on the double wins and a couple Tof decent times. 👍

TR.. is that the London excel?  I often wonder why they stuck number collection right out there.  Warm here too.

4.2m + 7.5m double today.  Humid and warm/sunny for the club run tonight.  Started spitting with rain as we finished, pouring it down 20 mins later!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Excellent track times CC2 👏👏
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    TR - Good old Excel, always enjoyed it there. Not too long to wait now until Kempton, take it easy now apart from a few specific efforts like your 10k.

A treble yesterday!  To give 16m for the day and 2000'+ of climbing @ around 8.40 pace.  Fancy something less hilly along the river today. Also had delivered £40 of SIS products, going to try their SIS beta gels for the first time as going to use in my summer ultra also cola hydration tabs!  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - yes London. 5m there again this morning, next visit should be to collect my number for October.

OO - well done on the treble, thats a leg toughener. Still not 100% here, so not thinking beyond Sundays 10k, which i want to try to hit hard and see what happens. Im still getting light headed spells and thats putting me off Kempton as i dont know what will happen on race day.