Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, and happy new age cat, TR. The birthday code usually appears in the nike app or in your nike account in offers or similar. Nike chat are very helpful if you've not had it. 

So you'll be a v55 also gdawg, come London? That's a nice 5 min on the gfa for you. 

I need to get back on that s and c work. 

Easy 6m lunchtime. I felt a bit tired yesterday but it was a rest day anyway. Had a good sleep last night and feel good today, nothing more than a blocked nose. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Pleased for you MsE sounds like a well considered plan 👍
    Nice pb Speedy you have to be pleased with that.
    Birthday wishes TR if it's any comfort my best marathon years have been my V55s.
    DT congrats on the selection- much deserved.
    I'm still off the pace but 3 races in the next week if I count tomorrow's parkrun, should help sharpen my pencil.
    GD I love the track as you know.Try 200s and 300s too to get those lungs working to the max 🥴
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cheers 

Dawg - im on the drills now, they seem to be helping the glute/hammy, but the rest of me hurts from doing them.

DT - ok, ill try a purchase or ask nike.

OO - hope i can keep it going for a few years yet, keeping going  and off the injury bench is probably the hardest thing going fwd, might need a few less miles and a bit more faster running at times, going to try to do more low key racing.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    18:19 at Keswick parkrun this weekend was well down on my best but definite progress. 14 miles today for a 46 week and just approaching 1000 mile mark this year. Not sure how tomorrow's 3k track race will go but it's not a priority race for me in any case. The 10k on Wednesday evening is a toughie, but a big club race so much more pride at stake 😇
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're not quite back to top form after Boston OO, im sure it'll click soon though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I did my first race as an m55 today, with a 10k at a local country park, which unsurprisingly was a bit undulating and loose/gravelly underfoot in places (i guess theres no pressure to.maintain roads in a country park) so 38.38 was solid enough. I got stuck behind slow moving traffic in the first mile too on skinny roads. Must be getting over the lurgy that ruined Brighton mara. Reckon i should be more 37something, but that might be achievable on Bognor prom next weekend, weather dependent. Typically as i was racing it hosed it down today with about 3km left and flooded the place.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Looks like a good weekend of racing, oo.

Tr, good going  any age cat win? 

8m easy today, slight end of cold grottiness remaining and my covid test this morning was negative so feel like I've dodged a bullet as today was only day 6 in the old counting set up and I've had one day when I felt horrible and that was a rest day any way. Work have told me to stay away until Thursday anyway as that's a week from positive test so work from home most of week. 

Entered Chester, booked my hotel and ordered my masters vest today. 

I'm a bit lost right now regarding racing. Last year I broke every threshold time in every distance that was within my aspirations, so I'm currently left without any ambition beyond the sub 2.45 mara. I'm almost a bit scared now of just running a half for example, in case I've gone backwards! 

Perhaps I need to start targeting things like county champs events, so like in MK with the England AG thing, I'm chasing more than just my watch. Or maybe a xc season might be good later in year? Or I just focus on Berlin without cluttering things up with other races. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    There is also the masters track season DT 😀
    That's a good 10k time TR, as you say could probs get down to 37:xx on a better course. 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Belated happy bday to TR! Nice racing.

See you in the S&C zoom room sometime DT? Am officially signed up with Lewis as my coach.

May feel slow but looks mighty consistent to me, OO and pretty darn good after Boston.

Five mins to my first S&C sesh with the new crew.

Ran a steady 10K yesterday for the club. Felt very unsatisfying plodding around! But lived to run another day. Ready to get into training and racing mode once more. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - no AG prize, i was beaten by a few m50. M55 only comes out for real big races like Fleet or Gosport. I won £50 for first m45 at gosport once..........used the Nike chat re the missing bday discount, went round the loop a few times with 10% courtesy codes whuch didnt work, got the hump and phoned up......they gave me a 20% code (that does work) valid for 6 months.

Im all eyes MsE, interested to see the journey
  • Shame there were no V55 prizes on offer TR. Your time matches my all time PB, coincidentally also set in a country park on gravelly, narrow  paths with tight turns. One day I'll beat that, ideally on a road so it actually goes on Po10. I did beat my official road PB last year, and my 10,000m PB, but didn't quite get what I know to be my real PB. Likewise 5k (my real PB was set in an ARC measured race, so not on Po10). I do intend to rectify both of those this year. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, did they explain why you didn't just receive the 25%. Though that is only valid for one use and for a couple of weeks so you've done ok. 

Up here, dependant where I race the age cats differ. In Worcestershire its v40, v50 etc. In Birmingham/Warwickshire its v35, v45 etc so being 46 its much easier leaving the county! 

Mse, I was on bums and tums last night. I dont usually do them live, tending to just do the recordings and my convenience. I've found, having done bums and tums consistently for nearly 2 years now, it really helps. 

Finally covid negative this morning so straight to spin. We've been following last 8 weeks an ftp test build up, building to a 20 min test and this week was test week so having missed last night I was keen to finalise the programme. First workout of any effort since MK mara. Lungs were blowing from early in and I couldn't hold onto to what I'd managed in the final prep sessions off 2 x 10 mins but posted a solid figure and was highest in the room by about 20% and I was certainly by far the lightest male. 

6m easy later in the sunshine. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice work, DT. Glad you're over the Covid and it doesn't seem to have left you tired or anything.

Great time on the surface, TR. Good running, Sir!

Great to see MsE on here again. Is the coach Lewis Moses? I had a Google around to see what he did. Seems to have been brilliant with DT.

Got a lovely 13 miler in on Saturday with mates along the River Wey,
    Had planned intervals today but it was a bit warm so just did 6 miles of steady trails. Quite enjoying the flex of being out of campaign right now. I needed this break, no weekly targets, just making sure I do some stuff to keep ticking over.

Doing strength work little and often, so most days I do something. Can execute some exercises with good strength and balance now which I couldn't do a few weeks ago. Habit is formed and I'll keep it up so when I do London I'll be the strongest I've ever been in a race, just need the running part of the campaign to go well.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    CC - i did 37.20 two weeks  before vlm in sept and 36.30 feb 2020, id like to go sub37 again before i get too old, but i never prepare for or taper for 10k. Im with you on wanting to go quicker this year.

DT - good news on testing neg, take it easy if you need to. Re your summer, maybe have a fast running phase before the mara prep?

Sounds good Dawg

Terrible 16m on real achey legs yday, just did a warm 7m going past the excell, shame i couldnt pick up my number whilst im in the neighbourhood.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean GDAWG I've got nothing too serious until London training begins in June and it's a bit 'feet on the handle bars'. TR I only enter races where they recognise V55 in the prizes unless I'm after a fast time 😆
    You'd smash a fast 10k at the moment Speedy.

Against my expectations I ran a fast 3000m track race last night in 10:01. Conditions were perfect and it was a big field of 20+ runners so lots of folks to chase. I also wonder if my extra poundage is less important in the short stuff? Anyway I'm pleased with that in my first track race of the year and hopefully will warm me up nicely for my 10k road race tomorrow. Or perhaps not.
    Hope the Covid doesn't hamper your training too much DT 🤞

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, that sounds pretty sharp. Will your wings be clipped a little now your wife has retired? I assume those days that she was at work were good training days for you? 

Gdawg  keep hoping with the strength work. I took my foot off the gas over March and April and been getting some mild aches and pains in hips and knees so picking it back up now. 

Someone said the other day that Berlin was 23 weeks away so London must be 24 so lots of time to get strong. 

Tr, shame about the 16, but they happen. I've a 9.5m leg I the Welsh castles relay in 4 weeks so that'll be a starting point. 

First session of sorts today post mara. These normally leave me wondering how the hell I managed the pace I did on race day. Didn't really feel that today with 3m tempo at 6.18, 6.14 and 6.17 then 5 x 1 min at 5k pace off 1 min just yo get legs turning over. Warm and sweaty but definitely seem to have come out of MK and covid largely unscathed. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's reassuring DT. The big test will be how the lungs perform at full tilt. 
    I ran 37:40 at the 10k last night. Not too shabby but 41 secs down on my last time in this race 3 years ago. Also 2 secs slower than TRs time but I did get the 1st V55 prize. Had it been 50-59 I'd have got 2nd V50- such is the poor standard of old man running in the North East. 
    Mrs 00 is fairly into her own running DT. She got lucky last night- as there were only 2 V60 lady finishers they gave the 3rd prize to the 4th V55 lady, so Mrs OO got her first ever prize money 😆. Meanwhile junior OO pulled out at 4 miles with an asthma attack when she was running in 2nd place, so missed out on good podium. Mixed blessings all round in the OO clan.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, oo, and Mrs oo, some excellent pot hunting. Hope your daughter is OK now? 

Spin for me Thursday and this morning and a 6m progressive yesterday starting at 8.40s and nudging each mile on finishing with a 6.40 and a 6.30. 

Bit of s and c later then 8m tomorrow. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Awfully quiet on here any weekend action?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I can't offer much interesting chat, out for 8.5m at 9am. Bit of a trudge in the sunshine and off a couple of beers last night. 

Off to Turkey Friday, looks oppressively warm. Very little breeze, sunny and 25c plus by 8am. The hotel has a gym so I may take my running to the treadmill. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I did 2/3 rds of a strong race

Ive had quite a lot of lightheadedness lately including when running, had some horrible runs this week feeling ightheaded and with achey limbs, but had a 2020 Bognor 10k rolled over number......so Bognor 10k, on a warm and (rare still morning) with 10.30 start. My plan today was 3m, 10k, 4m. Hit the 10k hard and see what happened after quite a bit of lightheadedness this week, including when running. Ideally id liked to thave gone a minute quicker than last wks country park 38.38, was telling myself it was all fine early on and i ran a strong 4m (6.01, 6.02, 6.01, 6.02) but then felt a bit woozy, couldnt shut it down mentally and eased off with a 6.10, 6.14 (which cost me 3 places) before rallying in the extras for 38.00, 27th out of 1300plus........so i didnt collapse, or croak it, but feel a bit of a soft cock now, as i could have gone 37.30something,......anyway main thing is whilst im not right, i cant be far away from it. Aim to ease off for a couple of weeks, get on top of nutrition, fluids etc not sure if its low blood pressure, post CV type issues, fuelling or whatever, but Kempton mara next week is a DNS, Brighton taught me not to turn up to a mara compromised, i cant run a marathon without the confidence to go hard safely........decent race, well organised, loads of support on the prom, helps when its a nice day. Onwards and upwards.
  • Wise decision TR - clearly something not quite right that'll definitely benefit from a couple of weeks going easy.

Great podium bagging from the OO family - hope MrsOO enjoys her retirement. What are the plans now?

Looking forward to hearing about the upcoming racing MsE

Which part of Turkey are you off to DT? Had some great holidays when I lived in Turkey for a couple of years. MrsL and I are heading down to Provence that week, and it's also looking pretty warm down there. Might have to put my thoughts of running up Mont Ventoux on hold.

Solid but not spectacular running for me recently - 13 miles with about 2,500ft elevation yesterday on Box Hill as part of the prep for the Midsummer Munro there in a few weeks time. Haven't done it for a few years, but it's a great but hard race.

Highlight from the previous weekend was a run round London with a couple of mates visiting every square on the Monopoly board, finishing up at a hotel in Mayfair. Intrigued to see a Rolls Royce with the KO1 number plate lined up outside so had to pop inside (looking rather sweaty and dishevelled) to find out whose it was - turns out it was Chris Eubank's so would have been interesting to bump into him.

Local Vets League this evening - have put myself down for 800m, 3000m and a leg of the 4 x 400m relay. Not expecting any of them to be very pretty.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    5 miles with a few strides for me on Saturday and then a 'long' run of 7 miles on Sunday (including what my new-ish Garmin believes was a 10k PB: it's only out by about 14 minutes!).  Then a lovely orchestra rehearsal for most of the day on Sunday.

Good luck with a busy schedule tonight, Lorenzo.

As I said on the sub-3 thread, TR: get an MOT booked at the GP just in case.  The worst that happens is you get to cancel the appointment because the RnR fixes you!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope you're feeling better, TR. A good time posted anyway, nice one.

Not much happening here. Nipped out with the gang for 14 sociable trail miles on Saturday. Ditched the recovery yesterday just because I can. Plenty of weeks to come where I have to do sessions. Just making sure I do some speedy stuff midweek and and double digit slow stuff at weekends for now.

Played in a company golf event on Friday and blooming well won the thing! Nice to win a trophy that isn't running related, not that I win any running trophies, just medals, but you know what I mean!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Hi all good to see the same old faces training and racing away not sure how you all manage it !
     I tried to make a little comeback earlier in the year ,had a half booked and managed to mangle my one remaining good knee with a very painful dose of bursitis which results in a week of total bedrest unable to move and 3 weeks on the sofa ! That was April wiped out and I've lost  May too as things are only returning to normal now so hope to get a few very careful runs in soon . 
    Reluctant to book any more races as I've missed more than ran at this stage lol 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good run all considered TR though the dizziness is a bit concerning.
    Your news is worse Leslie- sounds like you've had a torrid time. Hope it gets better from now on.
    I saw your 800 time Lorenzo- 3000 will be a much tough test 😉
    Me and Mrs OO are in Croatia for her first holiday post retirement. Managing to get a few runs and swims in but also eating for England. I'm going well bloated by the time we get home. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Thanks 0054 Enjoy the well earned Holiday .
    I got 2 mile done last night so that's a start and went to watch a local fast 5k with my daughter tonight ( 15 now !) who has made a start running too this last few weeks but she has Asthma which is holding her back quite a bit , she does 1 mile before school a couple of times a week so hope she can ramp up in the holidays  and the fitness will improve her Asthma which has resulted in several hospital visits this last year or so .
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Leslie, good to hear from you. Sorry to hear the running has been a struggle. 

Enjoy Croatia, oo. We went to Dubrovnik for our honeymoon. Lovely place. 

Well done on the golfing glory, g dawg! 

Lorenzo, we ate off to Antalya. I dont think we'll see much of the area as we are in a massive all inc complex. I've met Chris Eubank, he came into our office some years ago as we were doing work for quite a few sports people who shared an agent so agent brought him in. Utterly bizarre bloke, almost crushed my hand shaking it. 

Better to be safe than sorry, Tr. It was only a 10k  something you could do any weekend. Might be worth a few blood tests though as jools says. 

I've had a very busy week with work then outside that getting stuff sorted for hols and running. 

Did 5 x 1k Tuesday followed by 5 x 400m which felt awful. Then yesterday 5m at tempo, slightly higher effort than when I do 8-10m at tempo so came in 6.09mm with 6.10, 6.10, 6.13, 6.05 and 6.03. Bizarrely this felt really good and enjoyable. 

Got up at 2am to get to airport for 6am flight to get through security to check the board to see 'delayed, next update 9am'. Could be a long and tiring day! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I was right, now on a coach to Bristol to fly from there at 6am tomorrow. Lots of walking today but certainly no running! Very tired now. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that DT. Airports are a nightmare at the moment. Don't seem to have the staff to cope with the renewed demand. 
    GDawg, didn't realise you were a golfer. Many congrats on the victory 👌
    Last full day of our holiday tomorrow. Looks like I'll rack up a 40 mile week including lots of hill work. I'm happy with that- just a couple of kilos to shift when I get home 🙄