Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Had to have a look at the winners on po10.
    Winning team are 14.34 and14.47 calibre.

Enough said really :D 
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    Had to have a look at the winners on po10.
    Winning team are 14.34 and14.47 calibre.

Enough said really :D 

Bit defeatist isn't it? LOL.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Not after the event it isn't.
    Gave it a good go during the event...for 20metres.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Quality running & reporting SQ, SG.
    Paar = pair, lauf = run hence Paarlauf: pairs rep session with the exact duration of the recovery dependent on your partner’s rep pace. Important to team up with the right person.
    More hills Wednesday & another track session last night (12x300m off 100m jog) left my legs feeling pretty smoked so carded my second zero of the week. Hopefully I’ll feel the benefit at parkrun tomorrow.
  • PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I see the pairs results are up. SG, I think you were a bit unlucky to get beaten by the first ladies pair: seems one is decent but the other is a step up with a sub-17 5k in 2022.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they weren't too far ahead, but my partner has had a few months injured this year so did Marlow sub 30, when top form he'd be competing for sub 29. He ran decently for where he is right now though.

Had another turnout today, for my 3rd one in 8 days.
    Went ok. Best get that written :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Staines 10k then.

Ran this once in 2017 just after joining the Dashers, and had a great day, 35.49, 3rd place, and also the team prize too.

Had booked this a while back as it typically sells out early doors, but had slotted in Thursday's relay race after. Therefore, was slightly nervous about the extra work, as I wouldn't typically do a session 2 1/2 days before a race, let alone a race :)

However, a rare burst of races, and only being 3.1mile volume and split as reps it was ok I think.

Thought it was a 9.30 for some reason, so was glad to realise the night before it was actually a 9am job. Luckily a close enough race for that 30mins not to make much odds, just a 5.50am wake up as I like to eat 3hours ish before a race :o

Comfy drive, and comfy park up, with a council car park being a couple of hundred metres away from the leisure centre car park, which itself had plenty of parking.

Spotted Jock Itch and Dachs of forum fame, knowing two pots had been decided early doors.
    I had seen that this race offered 3 x V40 prizes too. Where was that at Marlow last week :D  
    More on that later :neutral:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    One of the flattest races in the country, but the one thing you do find here is the quality can be lowish and stretched out.
    Temp was fine, barely any wind, but it felt quite sticky. However, on a decent run of races from 5m to HM I was feeling confident enough. Albeit allowing myself disclaimers that it "might" be well over the 35:46 at Eastleigh in March.

Lined up, told to run over the mats (!), and we're off.

One kid has absolutely machine gunned off. And we're talking insane pace. From the road, the first 400m or so is to a gate out of the lead up to the park.
    He's there with about 80metres or so lead already.

The mad thing is he's wearing what can only be described as a mix of lads' stag do gear, mixed with bed boxers. In fairness I think he was part of some group, or team all with their own names on the back of their t shirts. Although it panned out that the name he had printed wasn't actually his name...one of a few mysteries today!

Out the sort of park, take a left ( as are all turns today, with no road closures), and at the end of that road another left.

First km comes up in 3.28 which is tasty enough, but not too mad.
    (Although I took this one as 0.64m and km 2 as 0.61km in fairness).

It's pretty clear there's races within races today.
    However, some of the roads are so long and straight you see people way ahead for quite some time.

Conditions are decent, albeit a bit stickier than I like, but I'm off and out decently.

The route goes to 2.5km on one stretch, then you take a left for a 1.5km section back to the main road, emerging close to the 4km sign you've just seen previously.

One genius driver picked a great time to block a road doing a 3 point turn, but luckily the pavement inside allowed an escape route!

It's quickly turned into a case of the front 7 are gone, I'm in 8th, but I've got some matey boy trying to draft me.
    3.32,3.41, 3.37 ticking over ok, and I'm looking forward to 5km.

I drop matey, and I basically have a totally solo run this far on. Brilliant in a way, I can run at a pace I'm comfortably hard at, but unlike Eastleigh, awash with quality round me, there's nothing to work off.

5km is 3.40, so just under 18 half way which will do.

I know the course is basically a get to 6km turn, and get to 8km turn.

From here on in it's just a case of ticking the kms off, smiling at marshals and looking forward to finishing.
    Ahead is miles away, and I can't even hear marshals encouraging anyone behind so they must be well behind.

3.40 (0.63m), 3.33 (0.60m), 3.46 (0.64m), 3.38 (0.63m), 3.22 (0.61m).
    Obvs put the distances as they all look a bit wild there!

Only drama is upon turning into the last 400m I realise that sub 36 is up for grabs if push on.

This turns to confusion when I see the clock ticking 35.40s out....I suddenly wonder if beating Eastleigh is up for grabs.
    I "do so", and then check my watch.... 35:59:80 :D  

They've got the clock out by 15seconds haven't they :D:D 
    However, I'm hopeful I'll have banked a 35xx, and try not to let my negative side say the above will round up...or the strava reading of 36:01 :D 

Long story short, it's 8th place and 35:58

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Just 12 seconds short of the highly competitive Eastleigh 10k, and after 2 races in the week before. Pleased with that for sure.

The sod's law is still to come.

Not sure if Dachs is in the habit of popping in, so I'll break the loose "rule" of not telling other's stories, well at least half doing so...but he was in 3rd, as a V40.

With 3 V40 prizes, I just needed there not to be 3 others then...as I'd come 8th, and there were only 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th in the mixer, I was confident of a prize....
    I knew one of Pete's Windle boys Gareth was definitely a vet, and a Fulham guy wasn't....

I came away from the event thinking I'd missed out as they'd chosen to award 3rd place Dachs a first V40, and thus missed out on the knock on effect....however, looking at the results now, there were actually 3 V40s behind Dachs anyway!!!

5 V40s in the top 8 is a big strong!

First home was an insane 30:06 I think it was. he's been telling people sub 30 I think, but fell for the whole clock being too early thing. Quite a few people said he may have been better served at the event last night, but hey, he's won a race, got a trophy, and the vouchers are insanely generous here... £35s and £45s and stuff!

Will have a look tomorrow about booking more races.
    Need to get a few 5k paced sessions in first really. I have Friday, Tue & Fri of the following week, so that should be a solid 3 before a stack of turn outs.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see you going well sgaim SG, sub 36 is decent. Good to be close to an Eastleigh performance too.

I did my first race as an m55, with a 10k at a local country park, which unsurprisingly was a bit undulating and loose/gravelly underfoot in places (i guess theres no pressure to.maintain roads in a country park) so 38.38 was solid enough. I got stuck behind slow moving traffic in the first mile too on skinny roads. Must be getting over the lurgy that ruined Brighton mara. Reckon i should be more 37something, but that might be achievable on Bognor prom next weekend, weather dependent. Typically as i was racing it hosed it down today with about 3km left and flooded the place.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, SG. You’ve paced that well and performed strongly. How insane is the V40 category?! A year to go for me. Never crossed paths with Jock on here, but always found him very friendly on FB and once in real life at Wokingham.

Solid going, TR. And happy birthday!

Not much here this weekend. parkbuggyrun yesterday, then a few grass track strides later in the afternoon. Just a junior parkrun with the girl this morn (121s PB!) this morn. Planned on more later but CBA. Rare for me, so probably worth listening to. Still 62M for the week, so solid enough. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    He's certainly a character who loves to razz you, but essentially a safe bloke.
    I remember stumbling across a race report he did once, the day I did my HM pb, and he called me this "Sandhurst slag" who'd got ahead of him :D  

Gotta be careful writing reports and mentioning people, keep it sensible like me (coughs).

But good milea even in your cut back sort of week SQ. Mine was a mere 46 following a 52, but makes sense in the context of build ups and recoveries for a 3 race haul.

Good one TR.  Solid indeed. Need to seek out a few races that have the M55 distinct from 50 I think!
    Today's race had a bit of traffic in places. You could dip into the road, but had to remember it was a live non closed road!

I did wonder what was going on when I was zooming the last 200m as a car was rolling in just behind me.
    Could understand it if it was for the winner, but not 8th. Kept looking back thinking who's this?
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Nice one SG, good to back up the Eastleigh effort. Good running TR, I am sure the gravel cost a fair bit of time.

I also had a race today although only part of it was running again. Eton Dorney sprint triathlon, it's a traditional season opener. Decided to ride over  to Dorney, been checking the weather regularly hoping to avoid the rain and all looked good on the way over but just as I went into transition to set up, the rain started to fall again. 

Unlike the previous race and win this was a proper open water swim and I've not been in the lake yet so didn't have high expectations for the swim. Kept it real easy to start to avoid any panic attacks and got through it ok but had a bit of a crappy transition as I tried to tighten my ankle timing chip. Also a bit fingers and thumbs. I am 19th out of the water and lose a few more spots in transition.

Onto the bike and although I don't feel like the power is really strong I do feel fast but then I am flying past most the other riders which might just be giving that impression. I take the corners fairly easy as it's really wet now and being Dorney there are quite a few sweeping bends that require a bit of attention. I cover the 13 miles at a little over 30 minutes and the fastest bike split of the day by  nearly a minute.

Age-group wise I suspect this has put me in the lead and after a much better T2 the run starts reasonably well and through the first KM in 3:25. Pace drops a little from there with a 3:29,3:31 so I up the effort a bit to finish with a 3:28. 3:29. So through 5k in 17:22 but there's some change left here so it's 17:50 including the extra 90 metres. I was hoping for a little quicker to be honest, possibly even a sub 17 but this is decent enough.

2nd overall thanks to some guy who took 3 minutes out of me on the swim so there was no coming back from that. I did win the 40-49 age-group by 11 minutes though  :D  Thankfully my wife and the girls came to watch so stuffed the bike in the car as it was still pissing it down and my hands had gone white!
  • Stevie G said:
    Staines 10k then.

Spotted Jock Itch and Dachs of forum fame, knowing two pots had been decided early doors.
    I had seen that this race offered 3 x V40 prizes too. Where was that at Marlow last week?
    More on that later.
    I had the same back in 2014. First 3 home were seniors who got 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall, then RicF was 4th as a V50 and I was 5th as V40 but they awarded him first V40 and me second V40. That then trickled back, so first V60 was given V50 ...

They are good and the event guidelines say "one prize only of the highest value" but they don't publish the values. I exchanged emails with them at the time and they said they would change and do that but it seems that hasn't happened.

SG, it looks like you had a good solo run. Your Strava shows the moment you thought sub-36 was on. Staines is an odd race and can throw up a stacked or a thin field. 

Matey who came home first now has 30:08 and 30:06 10ks this year: I hope he gets a 29.xx as he is obviously in good form: I have no clue why he didn't do the Night of the 10,000m PBs the day before as he is a track athlete.

• Reg, never ceases to amaze me that you rock up and turn out such good performances. I've never thought about the corners at Dorney: running around them is not an issue. I'm sort of half following the sub-7 project, so that is the same as the sub-2 hour marathon project but for an ironman triathlon, but the current best is 7:21 so they want to knock 21 minutes off that record and seem to say that course selection is a big factor. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    They definitely do their prizes in an odd way. The guy in 4th from Pete's club should either have been 3rd senior, or 1st v40, depending on how they treated Dachs.

Instead they gave 5th place, another v40 the 3rd overall and Pete's mate 2nd vet! Bizarre stuff. Can only be that 3rd place overall is a lesser prize than 2nd v40 which again is a bit daft.

Giving older people the younger vet prize seems odd too.
    Just glad I wouldn't have won a v40 either way to be honest as to lose out on an unusual method would have been annoying.

I would have thought give 1 prize per individual, award 1,2,3 as the "best" prizes, and then deal with vets after that. And keep to the actual age. Yes an older vet may be better than a younger vet, but they're not that age category which is the whole point of them :)

Easy week this week, with a 2 day northern work trip midweek. Hopefully a 5k sesh on  Friday.

On another note, power of 10 seem to be struggling a bit with the weight of races. It seemed to take until about the Thursday of a week to get a race up, but Marlow 5 still isn't up a week on.
    May be the organiser needs to take "provisional" off, but I think po10 must be finding it hard to deal with the rise in races again. Shinfield 10k took over a week apparently too.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Reg - you're definitely a face on the scene generally, and pretty much a shoe in for placings at age grade!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Cheers, age-group win seems to be a given at the moment but these are not high quality events so the real test will come in the next couple. Particularly Ironman France where the competition is pretty fierce normally.

I watched that Night of the PBs, it was fun, shame they had an Italian winning though, seems against the spirit of it. Looking at the entry requirements, it seems to roll down to sub 32 depending I guess on it filling up with the faster runners. Would be a cool event to blag an entry to but 31:xx is a little way off.

Prizes is an interesting one, I don't know what the best way to do it is, maybe the trophies (vet and overall) both go to the vet in the top 3 overall but the financial prizes are limited to one each. You can't award 1st place vet trophy to the second place vet. The problem is that V40 maybe shouldn't be an age-group at most lower key races, it should start at about v45 or possibly higher still.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think v40 is fine, and if a vet is top 3, then v40/50 go down the field. That seems pretty obvious.

The problem is that Staines' prizes are higher for vets than 3rd overall.
    Simple fix is to have 1st, 2nd and 3rd as the highest amounts, then have V40 1-3rd, V50 1-3rd etc the same - can still go generous, but have them say £5 less than top 3.

Can't see anyone disagreeing with that, and then that stops any weird cutting up of the results.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Yep - fiddle with the amounts - but Dachs gets 3rd place and 1st V40 prize too. Thing is we're pretty well rounded types, some older runners are good and will win an overall prize and an age group. Just limit it to 2 prizes each.

Good report SG and seems like a solid run. As usual another good race from Reggie and welcome to your new AG, TR! Thank god I have only 6 weeks left as a V40!

Busy weekend here - Did Bedford Parkrun as I thought I just couldn't do one 800m race. Started off steady, seeing who was about and no one was coming with me, so going through the first K in 3.25 odd I thought I would try and keep the pace up. Decent run round and finished in 17.03 for the 'win'. 

Jogged down to the track, 800 was 12.30. This is the combined Herts and Beds County Champs, a right rabble in my race. young lad who did 1.52 last year, me, the LBAC team manager and another lad I know from the Leighton Fun runners. So set off, youngster shot off as expected, I went through in 66, feeling relatively ok. Managed to keep it together, wanted to get in the home straight before the kid finished! Even splits for a 2.12, so not too bad.

Then quick shower and a drop into Bedford to get the train to Kentish Town for the Highgate 10,000. Far too much food and beer bought, but good cheering folk on, great win in race 2 for the Luton kid Ged. Nice chat with Dachs and Ben P, Dachs mentioned the Staines 10K.

So busy - compared to when I ran it in 2013,14 and 2016.

Down to London again this afternoon for the Southern vets, B string 400, 1500 and relay at Battersea. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    3rd place should definitely be at least as valuable as first Vet.

Nice double header SC

The race I just did was paid for, partly with a £30 discount from a previous 3rd place and the one before that was paid for with a £60 discount for coming 2nd. I am hoping my first place in 40-49 will earn more than the £60. I guess it should be £90.

I did the Reading 10k once and the top 3 were all V40 so we all got two trophies each, madness.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Don't get the 2 trophies thing myself. One trophy limit seems wise, but just how they unravel them should be pretty easy to work out.

V50 winning V40 is a concept too.
  • In my opinion, the fairest way to have multiple prize categories in one race is you declare what category you are racing in when you enter. The race numbers then get marked with the race category on them. We have had that for years in masters racing so if you have a fast V50 he may declare for the V40 team. If you are a fast vet then you need to decide if you are chasing the open prize or the V40 prize but you do so in advance and everyone can see what you are aiming at. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'm declaring for the V70 category. Should boss that :)
  • Stevie G said:
    I'm declaring for the V70 category. Should boss that :)
    You know what I mean! It is effectively the same as a cross country race, so e.g. the Chiltern League (when not being messed about by parking and police) has a whole series of races so U11 girls, U11 boys and so on. You race the race you are entered for (if allowed, so no VM40s in the VM70 race but vice versa is allowed). Staines 10k could do the same and have 8 individual races (open and 3 vets categories per sex) but that would take all day so they run all the races at the same time. The race you are in should be determined before the starting gun goes off and not at the finish line. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I don't think I agree with that, the fastest vet on the day should be acknowledged as such, surely it's a shallow victory if you win the vets race but loads of vets in the main race that were actually faster than you. It would be who's the fastest vet that's just a pot hunting weasel not brave enough to enter the main race  :D 

It should be about running the fastest not picking the softest race option. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think you need to take the complications out, not add more.

Simply award 1st, 2nd and 3rd stand alone prizes as they finish, then work out the vets after.
    And you are the age you are, none of this V50 winning V40 etc.

I like a mix of going in the higher quality fast flat races for the competition / time, mixed in with some lower level races to try and place / come top 10. Think that's a great mix for keeping you humble and stroking the ego!

Recovery type week this week. Couple of shorties yesterday, then 6 & 4 today.
    Tomorrow is  a 7am set off up north for a day's work meeting, then meal out, with Thursday being a half day work meet then drive back.
    Unclear whether there's scope for a run post work meet finishing, and meal beginning, so I'll play that by ear. Will get a run in on Thursday whether it's super early, or post drive home.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    How more uncomplicated is it to win a maximum of 2 prizes each? - I don't understand the issue. If you win a place prize you get that, and if you are 1st V40/45/50 whatever, you get that too.

Genuinely think most runners wouldn't mind that, if not they'd just have to suck it up ;) Better set my own race up!

Flat 5k, Friday night, Barbeque and one free pint, race finishes near a country pub. Perfect. Cranfield 5K used to be close to that. The Uni/airfield close to MK.

Anyhoo - last night. B string 400, 2nd in 61.5 - jelly legs last 50m and got pipped. 1500m won the B string, 2nd behind our A winner in 4.28. 73/2.26/3.19 bell, over line in 4.28. 400 relay leg in 61, as usual the relay 400 felt better than the flat 400.
  • Reg Wand said:
    I don't think I agree with that, the fastest vet on the day should be acknowledged as such, surely it's a shallow victory if you win the vets race but loads of vets in the main race that were actually faster than you. It would be who's the fastest vet that's just a pot hunting weasel not brave enough to enter the main race  :D 

It should be about running the fastest not picking the softest race option. 
    There is a difference between acknowledgement and awarding a prize. It is easy to rank by age and sex category, so picking the first male 40-49 is unambiguous, but if you are a race organiser and don't want to award multiple prizes to the same athlete then you need some way of resolving the conflicts that arise.

Say you have a race where the top two are senior men and the next two sprinting for the line are one vet and one senior. I'd say it is definitely unfair as the vet is in two races but the senior is only in one. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I think that's just you elitist runners that want it that way Simon. Are you sure you don't want to cream in 3 or 4 at the same time? :D