P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Creaky 8m earlier. M55 today, so will have a couple of frothies later. I get an extra 5 mins gfa allowance that i hopefully wont need for a few years.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, TR!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you’re easing back off the injury bench Macca. I’m sure your body will thank you for a bit of downtime. I notice you’ve been Zwifting enthusiastically to keep the weight down.
    Happy birthday TR.
    I’ve been feeling creaky this week so carded my 2nd zero today.
    Hopefully I’ll feel the benefit at parkrun tomorrow.
  • Happy birthday TR.  Enjoy a frothie or two.

I was going to run/walk the Thames Path last week until about this time last week.  A quick pep talk with the SPO and we decided my time was better spent doing the washing up or something.  TBF, the best out come would have been an underwhelming performance for a load of logistics and lack of sleep.

Jools- hope you tear up PR tomorrow.  Yep, hitting the Zwift out of frustration as much as anything.  I gave the hamstring a tester on some mile reps, on the 2nd it said no.  I think I need to avoid any speed work for a good few weeks.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cheers folks. Got given some IPAs so will sup a couple later.

Hope you go well jools

Macca - sounds like duscussions 'we' have at times. Ive got a lot of half finished DIY jobs. Hope the hammy mends, i feel you pain, ive had a lot of hammy issues in recent years. Getting the knots out via massage or roller might help.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Oh yes...........i couldnt let it lie, i entered Brughton 2023, i feel the need to set the record straight and have a good day there......one day
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, we're almost the same age. I enter the 55 category in a month. Happy Birthday. 
    Macca...me too. Hamstring is being a bugger...and it's not even my bad hamstring but the other one. *sigh*
    Took two days off after the trail race but decided I'd risk parkrun today on the proviso I took it easy. I just did my local and stayed about 10 minute pace. Bum and groin still achy after (although immediately after I felt OK...it was just later while I was eating in front of the telly). 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Cal - you're a glutton for race punishment.

had a solid if unspectacular hit out today. No surprises that a country park 10k was a bit rolling and gravelly underfoot, got stuck behind traffic in the first mile on the skinny paths, but ran ok after that with no tummy or 'woozy' issues, so thats a positive. 38.38. I did 37:20 two weeks before vlm, so im not where i was then, but id probably go 37something on a better course, giving it a bit of welly. We'll see next Sunday.

The rain went through overnight, but it got very dark and then absolutely hosed it down with about 3k left, and it all ended up a bit flooded.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Happy belated birthday, TR. And a well run 10k. Hopefully that's, the end to your tummy woes.

It was my 54th on Wednesday 😊 another year older but no wiser 😉

Sensible choice Macca and Cal. Rest is sometimes the only way, as hard as it may seem.

One of my hamstrings is always angry ... I can just about manage with stretching,  exercises and strategic rest days.

Still ticking over with 5 and 6 milers although it's about time I pulled that finger out a bit.

Progressive parkrun yesterday with a 12:30 first and a 12:09 second lap for a post op PB but I was proper redlining towards the end. My course PB is 21:49 so that says a lot about my non existing speed right now. But with low mileage and no sessions for a few weeks I wasn't expecting much anyway.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's a great time, TR, especially on gravelly stuff. 
    Well done on the post op PB chicksta. I'll have to work with post pandemic PBs I think, given I'm quite a bit slower than before. Argh.

Wasn't sure I ought to run today (had a poor night...too hot so kept waking up, not to mention the aches and pains) but did anyway. I can ran with normal form but rather wish stuff would stop hurting. I did stretch before and after and had a good Theragun session too. Anyway, did 6 miles. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see you here again Chick

Hope the theragun works cal......there were roads today (as well as the odd path), but i guess theres no pressure to maintain roads in a country park do in places they have crumbled away and have a loose surface......Bognor prom next sunday should be a lot quicker.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Bloody good time that TR, pretty much my 10K PB & a higher WAVA than anything I’ve done.
    Good parkrunning ladies.
    You’re all making me feel quite youthful 😆
    19:17 at parkrun wu & cd made it 7.4 for the day. Made the most of the sunshine with a 4hr/65M bike ride taking in my daughter’s showjumping en route. She was thrown in the 1.0 m class but went on to win the 1.05 m class on the same horse. 
    17.3 wet hilly miles on a mix of trail & tarmac today. I’m cream-crackered.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey jools thats a big weekend.

did a 10k 2 wks before vlm and then did 16m the next day in lieu of a long run. Had the jam jar today as i had to drop the doggy at the vets early doors. So planned 8m out and 8m back after work, trouble is i was real sore (from yday ? from Cv?) After 6m, but pushed on to the turnaround and then had to suck up 8 miserable and sore miles back to the car. Bit silly that one. We'll see if its a bsckward step in due course. Im away with work for a couple of days, so goid time to have some easy days.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    TR - Happy Birthday and nice time!
    Jools - Nice one on the SB/sub 20!
    Cal - Nice racing.
    Macca - Good to hear you are on the way back.

Short report from me. Swan Challenge 6 hour event. After ticking over for a few weeks after the marathon, was hoping to get either 8 laps or 10 laps (3.3 miles each). Got through marathon distance (8 laps) in about 4:15-4:20 ish I think, felt OK but not great but it was getting warmer at this point. Grabbed some food and drink and went off and clocked another 2 laps for 10 laps (33 miles) in 5:38, could have gone out for another as I'd be setting off before the 6 hour limit, but decided to call it a day with an ultra in the legs, finished 8th out of 101. Top 2 did 12 laps each! Was a nice route, through woodland and a field with a slight hill in the field but runnable. Leg's feel great, but a couple of weeks rest then I'll start training again.
  • TR - well done on the 10k, that looks a decent time on a “country park” course and on the back of a few below par weeks. Good luck this weekend.  I like the Brighton re-match, I’ve got to erase the ghosts of cramping up near the power station in 2013 but next year looks a little busy.

Jools - saw that LR on strata, there’s some decent hills in your neck of the woods.

cal - agreed, hammies are frustrating when they give you gyp.

Chicksta - as you suggest, the speed will return soon enough with a few sessions, well done on redlining!

Steve - great work on the 6hr event, that’s a decent pace over trails.

Pulled out of a race tomorrow (10k) and mulling over an ultra on Saturday which I could feasibly walk if only to get something out of the entrance fee.  Racking up the hrs on Zwift though although I wonder if that’s helping or not and if a few days of nothing but siting in front of the TV necking tinnies might be the best thing.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That’s a decent shift Steve. Never done an event with a time limit rather than a fixed distance. Must be tough to get going again after stopping so well done on hitting your target.
    Guessed you were still not firing properly Macca. Have you tried complete rest yet?
    How did you go today TR?
    Progressive 5K at lunch in scorching 🥵 & an easy trail 10K this evening in the pissing 🌧 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Well done steve

Macca - good work on the zwift. Brighton fits well for me next yr as its a bit earlier.

Jools - tough one on the pissing rain, it was scorchio when i ran yday.

7m easy yday, legs were much better, still some soreness, not sure if its from badhing round tge country park, or post CV aches. 5m today. Both runs went past the Excel, shame i couldn't pick my number up for Oct whilst im in the neighbourhood.
  • Jools - scorchio to stair rods the same day, you’ve got to love our climate.  Not tried complete rest yet, I should have done and would probably have healed quicker but it’s ok at easy pace and only goes at anything quick.  The temptation of a few events that have not occurred since pre covid was too much, anyway, only plodding events on the horizon now.

TR - it’s 18 weeks out from TCSLM ?(VLM was easier) end of next week I believe.  Kempton first !

5m easy today, Zwift is fun but doesn’t even come near just being outside for a run.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - ive had plenty of hammy type issues where ive had to plod, it keeps you nicely fit.......i wont need 18 wks for sure. Ive had a few lightheaded episodes again, aim to kick the 10k hard sunday and see what happens, then decide re kempton. Maybe its all marachondria? But its been a couple of months now......i bet if i give up on kempton then ill feel fine.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Superb, Steve - very well done! 

Macca, I sympathise fully.

A funny old week for me. Did a 4 miler on Tuesday that felt terrible, then 7 on Wednesday which was a bit less terrible but not great (the terrible being all my aches and pain), then 5 today, which was a little better although I struggled a bit with the humidity.
    I have just been to see my phys who did a few things to loosen me up so hopefully I'll be alright for parkrun pacing on Saturday.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Today was my club's takeover at Clapham Common parkrun. I was due to be pacing 29 minutes, which I was a little nervous about as a) I've not paced before and b) my right hammy's been a bugger. Fortunately, my trip to the physio on Thursday seemed to have helped and the hammy was mostly OK, but I was a little stiff from the gym (I thought I'd be OK as it was just light rehab stuff, but I managed to make my glutes quite sore). 
    It was quite warm and also very busy (over 700 runners) so the start was congested and I had to try and play catch up. I'd plugged my numbers into a pace calculator and thought I was comfortably inside the pace I needed, but I came in at 29:08 which is a bit annoying. Still, I guess it was OK for a first attempt. No one seemed to care, anyway.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - 29min as in sub 30? Then you achieved target?

Had an awful 10m home thursday, more lightheaded and very achey legged running. Which is becoming a concern (although ive been getting lightheaded at other times too). So i only did 4m yday, 2m today, eaten well, hydrated well, taken some decongestants (ive had sinus issues before), could just be a CV thing, but to be fair i never got to have a post Brighton break and might just need to ease right off for a couple of weeks, not the best place to be 1 wk before Kempton.........anyway rolled over Bognor 2020 10k tomorrow, i plan to do my 1 week out 13m with 6m approx mp effort, but do is as 3m, 10k, 4m and see what happens ligtheaded wise, then decide what to do re kempton. Hopefully a couple of real light weeks will see me right.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, I think it was supposed to be 29 or just under. Not sure why we opted for odd number pacers...would've made more sense to me to go with evens (sub-20 and sub-30 seem to make more sense than sub-19/21 and sub-29/31, eh?)

I've been having similar feelings from time to time, TR - I put it down to dehydration as I sweat a lot more now I'm post-menopausal, but I'm not sure really. I eat enough. Anyway, hope you get on top of it.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - i see, defo a strange target then sub29. Agreed, dehydration is a possible,also blood sugar, i could do with a bit more of both at times. Needs to be over a concerted period though. I do get sinus issues too, could be many things.
  • TR - sorry to hear the light headedness is a continuing concern.  I’ve low blood pressure and get light  headedness but I’ve had that since a kid.  Hope you get to the bottom of it, whatever it is, better to deal with it in sub 40min 10k shape than struggling to run for a bus. Best of luck tomorrow.

Cal - 29:08 is as good as dam it 29 - given the vagaries of course length who knows. 

Blew out a 50 miler today, this DNS business is proving very expensive and demoralising but more folks worse off etc.  I beat myself up watching dots and working out what my time last year would have fetched.  Up to 6m runs so 2 weeks to get strong enough for Birmingham to London canal race 🤞.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - hope you get to use those places soon.......low blood pressure is a possible, how do you raise it (salty fluids?)......someone told me to simply be a bit more unhealthy!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Macca, sorry to hear that...NDW was it? 

I got myself out for a "long" run despite a less than optimal night's sleep (I just wasn't tired, I don't know why) - I had 10 miles in mind which would equal the longest run I've done since Manchester, though that was actually 5 weeks ago and my mileage since then has been on the low side.
    Didn't take water as I thought I wouldn't need it, but that proved a mistake. I opted to do some of the River Wandle route, which is one of my favourites and I've not done for a long while. Hamstring took a long time to warm up (I'm not sure it ever really did...more that its grumbling was eclipsed by discomfort elsewhere) but it was a lovely morning and I enjoyed the river path as I usually do (saw two herons this time). But when I got to the bit where I intended to turn off and head home, I realised I was going to be well over target - at least 12 miles. It had warmed up a lot by this point and by the time I got to 10 miles, the inside of my mouth felt like an old sock. 
    I hit 12 miles on Tooting Common and stopped there and walked the remaining half mile home. It felt like a long old way.
    I'll not be doing a long run next Sunday as I've the next trail race the Wednesday after, but hopefully I can build up my mileage after that. This week was 32 miles...last two weeks have been 22 and 21 miles respectively, so it's a bit of a jump. Hope to be back to more normal mileage again before too long, though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 12m Cal

Bognor 10k, on a warm and (rare still morning) with 10.30 start. My plan today was 3m, 10k, 4m. Hit the 10k hard and see what happened after quite a bit of lightheadedness this week, including when running. Ideally id liked to thave gone a minute quicker than last wks 38.38, was telling myself it was all fine and i ran a strong 4m (6.01, 6.02, 6.01, 6.02) but then felt a bit woozy, couldnt shut it down mentally and eased off with a 6.10, 6.14 (which cost me 3 places) before rallying in the extras for 38.00, 27th out of 1300plus........so i didnt collapse, or croak it, but feel a bit of a soft cock now, as i could have gone 37.30something,......anyway main thing is whilst im not right, i cant be far away from it. Aim to ease off for a couple of weeks, get on top of nutrition, fluids etc not sure if its low blood pressure, post CV type issues, fuelling or whatever, but Kempton is a DNS, Brighton taught me not to turn up to a mara compromised, i cant run a marathon without the confidence to go hard safely........decent race, well organised, loads of support on the prom, helps when its a nice day.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Probably for the best, TR...and you're only missing a boring laps race. There will be better ones.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I did a recovery 6 mile plod yesterday and an 8 mile progression today (from very slow up to moderate pace - 9:47 was the fastest mile) just to shake things out. Naughty right hammy was OK but I still have a little niggle in the top of the left thigh - not sure what it is, but it's been there since the London 10K. Still, it's not too bothersome - I'll just keep up with the stretching and whatnot.