Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Bad news on the foot,I suppose the only positive is that you got the 100 out the way first.
    Change of plan for after Chicago,I've decided not to do Florence(probably) as we are going to Madeira in January which happens to coincide with the marathon.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I like the 'probably'.   You could do both 😉
  • Big G Thats a lovely surprise from Trotters, physios suggest complete rest and stretch, gradually add weight loading before running.  The sock splint was uncomfortable some nights I kicked it off but think it worked for me, that and falling over and having 2 months complete rest but I don't recommend that!

The main reason I'm not interested in social sec is I've not been involved around at the club.  I am making a conscious effort at the moment and starting to do the mid summer league races, Saturday at parkrun was a promo day for our event and signed up to the handicap races.  I'll wait to see if anyone stands for the comms role, I helped my mate start it last year but he lost interest when injured and I couldn't commit.  If no one else stands then I will speak with the chair after and have a discussion about it. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert/Shades, I have used the splint but I am not sure if it is helping or making it worse as sometimes it feels it is making the foot ache. Shades, I did tape it a couple of weeks ago (I only followed a YouTube video, so it wasn’t done by a physio), but I also wasn’t too sure if that was helping either. 

Ian, yeah, I’m glad I got the 100 done. Although I wasn’t in tip top condition, at least I got it done relatively pain free and I did enjoy it. 

Well, I went to my first gym session in many years. I was mainly figuring out the weights and probably I was a bit cautious on a couple of the machines, but that’s fine as I have plenty of time to get into a routine with it all.  Although I didn’t push the weights particularly, it will be interesting to see what the old legs feel like tomorrow. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - hope you get a chance for the Comms role.

Big G - trouble is with PF it's so hard to know what actually does help you.   What works for one often doesn't work for another.

Congrats on your first gym session.  Your right to be cautious about the weights, focus on technique and then increasing or not increasing the weights will follow.

I only managed 30 minutes in the gym, 3rd session in 5 days and my legs are feeling it.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I could do both,I'll probably wait until after Chicago before I decide.If I'm racing Madeira for a time I wouldn't do Florence,but if I'm just running it I might.
    7 miles today,I was going to go longer but my calves were a little tight from last night so played safe,still on track for my mileage target this week though.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - At least the gym is something new to focus on while your foot heals

Ian -Well done on the sub 20. Reminds me I need to have another crack at that at some point. Zero appetite for it at the minute though. 

Rob - Can’t imagine myself as a social secretary either 

Shades - Nice 6 miles

5 miles to station from work this evening. Legs all good though quite warm. Bit of a shame that I’m in recovery from Copenhagen as feel fine and it’s a very rare quiet week both at work and with the girls so itching to get the miles in. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - was that the low drop shoes or just the pace that's made your calves a bit sore?

Rcouture - it's nearly 2 weeks since your marathon, if your legs feel fresh there's no need to hold back on the mileage.   Another aspect of improved fitness is faster recovery.

Rest day for me today, I still need to be cautious with my ankle.   Lovely morning here, would have enjoyed a run.   
    But the next best thing after an early morning run is a message from HMRC confirming my tax refund, another marathon I think, will be money well spent.  :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I wore normal drop shoes so I think it was just the pace,been quite a while since I've ran fast so legs not used to it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, yeah, my mind has finally switched now. Cycling and the gym is now what I’ll be focussing on to try and keep the weight down and maybe see some improvements in my strength over the coming few weeks. I’ve promised myself that I won’t run a step for 2 weeks at least as I think the few days of it feeling good and then me going back too early isn’t helping things. Once the switch happens in my mind, I’m fine - it just takes some time to get there!  The last time was May 2020 when I decided to lose a bit weight and finally get on the MAF bus properly, so we shall see how it goes. I’ve not mentioned it before as we are not sure what we are doing yet but there is a (tough) half in Italy I had my eye on in early July, so it would be great if I can feel that I can toe the start line there (if we do go there). 

Shades, good news on the refund and good to read you’re putting it to good use. 

We went out to a comedy show last night to see Rich Hall. He’s a grumpy American, and it was a good night out. It’s only a small theatre in town, but we go quite regularly for various shows (probably 10 shows a year we see) as I’d be gutted if it ever closes. At one point he started chatting to an audience member on the front row, and it transpired the guy was blind, but the comedian hadn’t realised.  There was an awkward pause and then Rich Hall asked ‘so what do you imagine I look like?’, to which the person immediately replied ‘old and grumpy’. :) 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's OK then, will soon ease.   :)

Big G - at least you now have the gym and Zwift to keep you busy and feel like you're still getting some decent training in.

Any aches after the gym?

Isn't there a full option for the Italian race?   ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, no aches from the gym, but will be doing upper body today so we’ll see how that goes!  I do feel I could up the weights from yesterday a bit, but I was just finding my feet yesterday (and the same today), so no problem.

There’s no marathon option at the potential event. You may remember a few years ago we went to the Dolomites for a wedding?  Well, the bride is back in the area when we are planning a trip away so we are thinking about if we can go down.  No where near planned or confirmed yet, as it’s not that easy logistically (we’ll be in the van), but this is the event. It’s stunning around there - although if I’m reading it correctly the website says there is 601m of elevation gain (1970ft!). In any case as well, it depends on how the injury is doing. 
    https://running.seiseralm.it/en/half-marathon.html

OH and I need to actually decide what we want to do, I suppose!
  • Shades - good news on the refund and a wise choice how to spend it.

Big G - Like like Rich Hall, our local theatre in Hertford in undergoing improvements and due to open in 2023 seen a few comedians there and it's good to have something small and close to home.

Rcouture - Good to see you're recoverin well from the marathon.

Yesterday was the first of our handicap races, some of the times were a bit dodgy but happy with mine, a undulating 3.3 mile run on multi-terrain finished in 28:10.  Legs felt better about running yesterday than they did in the mid-week league race.  AGM after, social sec still available but someone else stood for comms and seemed keen.  Rest day today
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that looks amazing, great hill training for you 😉.  What a pity they don't have a marathon.
    I do remember too the lovely photos of your trip to the Dolomites.

That's good no aches today, if you were running today you might have felt it but as you're not running for 2 weeks perfect timing to get the legs used to the gym work.

Robert - there's probably a good reason why the social secretary's post is still vacant. 😨  Wait another year and maybe you'll get the Comms role.  You've got plenty on with your studies, probable move to new employer plus your running with an ultra to train for.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I'm a bit confused over DD waiting list,there was defo no one on there this morning and now there's a successful transfer. I didn't expect to get rid of it at this late stage but I thought all transfers had to be done through that list.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - there are a few entrants that have posted on the FB page that they have a place going and I expect the race director is matching them with interested parties and then posting the completed transfer on the list when done.

There isn't a list for available places.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, not sure about the waiting list for DD but yes transfers should all go through the list. I am not involved although I’ve seen people say on the Facebook page that they’re aware that no one is on the list, but advertising that they have a place available, so I’m wondering if a transfer has happened from that?  I don’t know though. If it was down to me, I’d change the way the transfer system works.  When Chair was doing it, it was a lot of work but he’s retired, whereas the current RD does actually have a full time job, so I wonder if there is a slight delay in maintaining the lists compared to when Chair was doing it.  I know for my transfer she had to chase the recipient about 6 times as he just wasn’t responding to her with his details (he’d already paid me), so it was quite a lot of chasing just for my one transfer. 

Robert, funnily enough, the husband of the DD RD is our social secretary. He’s very good as he rings people up, asking them if they’re interested in whatever he’s got in mind, trying to organise sharing of rooms etc.  I get the feeling it’s a bit like herding cats sometimes. I had a very small insight when the club went to Brussels and I recommended a trip to Bruges for the day. Getting the train tickets and getting them all on the train etc was a job in itself!  They’re the parents of Young Trotter, and although the Mum isn’t a runner she is really busy with Trotters as she is also the club secretary, which is a massive amount of work on its own. 

Shades, it does look a great event. I’d love to go back to the area as it was a really, really good break away, when at the time I was suffering from a lack of running mojo, but running around there revitalised me quite a lot, the week or so before DD that year. But we’ve not got the firm plans in place yet anyway. 

Regarding my legs, I did do an hour on Zwift yesterday so not sure if that helped a bit. I went and did upper body today, which confirmed what I already knew; I’m comparatively much stronger in my lower body…
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - DD race director is updating the list very often, she puts the date on now when it's updated, often daily.

As there's no list for available places that's why a new transfer appears on the list for the first time as completed.  The runner buying the place hadn't put their name on the list, probably hadn't really thought about getting a place until seeing a post on FB that a place is available.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, she is super efficient, so great news it’s all being updated very regularly. Can’t ask for much more than a daily update, really. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-It has been updated regularly, I didn't realise transfers were being arranged on Facebook, I thought the only way was to put yourself on the list then get contacted by someone, it's no problem for me as I wasn't expecting to get rid if it so late anyway I was just wondering about the process.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, I think the names on the list ran out a couple of weeks ago or so, judging from the activity on the Facebook page. Great news you got rid of your place. I managed to get rid of my camping place too, so I was happy. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Big G-You misread,I haven't gotten rid of it  ;)
    Madeira is now booked so another different country to race in.It's also the European masters marathon championship so should be a few fast oldies there.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Rob - Nice time

6 miles this afternoon. Warm out but had a nice run. Unusually high numbers of runners on my usual route. Guess it’s the nice weather. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - the transfers aren't really being arranged on FB, just runners with places asking if there are any more hopefuls to go on the transfer list.
    I had to post on FB last year as to why those on list weren't responding to my emails.

I guess what they should do when there's nobody left on the list is start a list of places available.

I'll let you know if I see anyone looking for a place on FB as you still have a few days.  

Good news on getting Madeira booked up.

Rcouture - must be all those runners WFH finishing early on Friday 😉 and getting out for a run.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    7 miles this morning, beautiful morning.   I love this time of year when all the hedgerows are lush with greenery and birds hopping around everywhere singing their heads off.  :)

Gym later.
  • Shades I also love this time of year, bit too warm for racing sometimes but nice way to spend an hour or two running.

Ian well done for getting Madeira booked

Big G that transfer list seems very admin heavy but very generous for runners.  Perhaps the race could offer 50% refunds to any cancellations upto 6-8 weeks before the race, then sell the places as they become available? It may make some think twice about entering when they have little intention of running? 

Westmill parkrun for me this morning, 3 mile trail run there, arrived with a little time to catch my breath say a few hellos.  The RD, is our ED so the best person to talk about what happened last week, was done in a respectful way.

I planned to try and beat last weeks time, first mile and I was about 5 seconds down, perhaps the run there took a bit off me, a little further on ran towards the area of the week before incident, did get a bit emotional for a seconds but it passed.  2nd mile and I was ahead of last weeks pace and the third mile must have been similar.  25.48 (7 seconds quicker) and followed up with a 4 mile run home (10 miles in total).

car park marshalling and tail next week as running an event on Friday.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - that's a good morning's training done.   And well done on the parkrun time despite having a moment of sadness recalling the last time you were there.

I'm not sure offering refunds at DD would be a good idea even at 50%.  It's usually oversubscribed so runners need to enter early and then often injury forces them to DNS hence offering up their places late in the day.  I think when they enter they have every intention of running it but having a niggle or minimal training makes this a very tough race.  

Is your 6 hour event off road?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Did you say DD waa going to Nifty? From a runners side they do a great job,a lot if races here use them,and it's so simple,if you find someone to transfer you just request it and fill in their email then it's pretty much done,I've had places off their waiting list before but not sure how those places come about.
    7 miles after work,heart rate in the right place and pace was better than recently.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I think the RD was talking about SI Entries, but she was aware of a couple of others. She hadn’t made her mind up whether to move over last time I spoke to her. There is a cost, but the club Treasurer strongly recommend that she move over to save the large amount of work involved, but it’s her decision.

Just done about 1hr40 on a hilly route on Zwift, which was quite tough. No gym today but probably I’ll go tomorrow. 
  • Ian well done on the 7 

Big G I spose it depends how happy they are doing what they are doing.  So many other options available without taking so much time resource. 

Shades I think the race is on mixed paths and a bit of grass.