P&D Autumn Marathon 2022

TRTR ✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Spring Marathon
I'm in

London Oct 2nd, with an Abingdon fall back Oct 23rd

Comments

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, TR. I am in too. London potentially - although also considering logistically easier options including Abingdon (or maybe ins Snowdonia). 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Me too.  

I will try for the running clubs ballot place for London (unlikely) but have an entry anyways for sunny Palma, Majorca, October 9th.

Currently seeing if our eldest (25) can look after our youngest (12) whilst my wife and I go and visit Palma for a long weekend, the first place we stayed on our first overseas holiday together in 1984 whilst at University! Carefree days!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I think london is 18 weeks today

Jools - good stuff, good training. Decent that you did 2k first time out too. No doubt your race i a lake swim?

Cal - good to see going better. Is that another parkrun for your total?

Easy and short commutes only last week, went a bit further yday, feels like ive got blocked sinuses which might be part of my troubles, but towards the end of todays turbo my chest ached like it did after CV, so maybe thats what scuppered Brighton.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I replied on the other thread, TR, but yes. 
    I am in for Chester (same day as London). Hoping I can recover a bit of form by then.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    As I'm racing tomorrow evening, I decided to do a very easy recovery today. Dug the chest HRM out for this and attempted to keep HR below 145 (and below 140 as much as possible) but was only semi-successfully because the bugger wants to go 150s - even a ludicrously slow final mile couldn't stop it from climbing because it's slightly uphill. I was running well over 12 minute miles for the first four and 13:28 for that last one. My legs felt all jammed up from trying to run so slowly so I let 'em stretch out for a little bit once I'd hit 5 miles.
    I don't think I'll bother doing this again - I have to keep a constant eye on my watch which ruins any enjoyment I might get from running, as well as the fact it is doing the exact opposite of improving my stride length and cadence, which are already sub-standard. I think I'll just go by feel in future.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    👋 Thought it was about time for an Autumn thread.
    Newport for me.
    Parkrun Saturday was a disappointing 19:33 - clearly too many miles & too much climbing for a 36hr recovery to be sufficient.
    13.7 hilly miles Sunday with a wedding hangover & another 8 yesterday.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Cal - everyone's HR is different, but you should be able to see trends in your own HR. I agree though, just run to easy effort on easy days. I can average 110ish on an easy run, but its wrist based and only relative to me, but i could see trends (if i was interested).

Jools - nice one re Newport, i think thats Abo day. Sounds like you have s reason for your parkrun dissapointment.

6m easy yday. Upped it a bit today effort wise with 7m inc 4 x (3min, 2min, 1min). No lightheadedness, hopefully the sinuses are clearing. Just a tight chest in the later reps, hopefully that'll improve soonish. Back to short and easy tomorrow. All these short runs dont take up much time.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - your best chance of improving your cadence and stride is probably to get more flexible and increase RoM, that might give you better economy, which is good, but may not improve yr stride length. Same length for less effort has to be the aim ?.......as before though, i think you're wasting worry beads on stride length.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, 110? That's a fast walk for me. If I run my starts at 130 and then keeps climbing. It was 196 at the end of the last Wimbledon trail race (watch, though) so I'm going to see how high it goes tomorrow with the monitor.

Jools, crazy to think a sub-20 is disappointing, but I guess it's all relative. 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I’d’ve been happy with that time last year but I’ve been quicker recently so expectations are higher.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - same as Jools parkrun, HR is a relative thing. But i defo take the easy days (which are most days) very easy.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I did an easy 3 mile shakeout this morning (first two miles recovery pace, then some faster bits in the last mile to open the stride up) then the second Wimbledon Trail race this evening. After the midweek hail and rain it was a lot muddier than last time, and I was a minute slower as a result (just under 51 minutes). Not a great result but at least I beat the bloke who bested me in a sprint finish in the first race, so there's that.
    Forgot to wear the monitor for this but watch recorded my HR a lot lower than last time (average 142 with a max of 159) which I am very suspicious of. It also read quite low for parkrun on Saturday, which was also a hard effort. I'll have to try and remember the monitor for my Friday 5K.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Jools- I am tempted by Newport too, accessible and a nice course.  Though the bright lights of Newport 2 weeks after Palma will come as a shock.  Thats a good PR time considering the runs in your legs. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - wrist HRM reads low, but i only have that method, so at least irs comparing apples with apples. But you get the odd silly data. You defo need a chest strap if you want to track HR accurately.

Newport sounds good. I have Abo as a london back up on that day. I like the Abo logistics.

Still on reduced mileage and volume, but included 3x10min today. Head felt a bit improved and chest didn't ache. Hopefully on the up again now.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Cal - does your watch do HR range alarms? Could be a way to stay in. Certain range without having to look the whole time. Although agree that running by feel is best. 

Like the sound of that session, TR. didn’t know you did anything other than three minute reps 😆. Pleased you are on the up. 

Jools and OO, I am undecided what the race this Autumn: possibly a target half, but perhaps Newport now in the mix. 

Monday was a nice surprise: went for a few half arsed strides around the football pitches close to home, only to be greeted by a freshly painted grass track. Nice summer addition that I’m sure will see some action soon. 

Wednesday night saw the next race in the club road race series: Stroud Beer Race. Stroud AC put on some cracking races and I might target their Autumn half. 

This was a hilly road race around Minchinhampton Common. A stunning evening with views all around from this high vantage point. 3 laps for a total of 7.2M and anywhere from 600-800 ft ascent depending on which Strava upload you look at. 

Positioned myself near the front, which felt about right, with one very fast looking runner haring off. He had a massive gap very quickly, and ran 37 mins. Impressive really when considering the elevation. 

Downhill fast half of the lap before a steep uphill third quarter than a drag back to the start. Then repeat twice more!

Settled in somewhere in the top ten, sharing the work with a chap I swiftly worked out was second in the recent Dymock half. I quite enjoy laps, and the families out supporting obviously got a bit more for their time. 

Had to work very hard to hold off the First Lady, eventually finishing seventh (fifth V35 😆) in 45:31 for an average pace of 6:20 or so. 

Idyllic pub garden afterwards to share a couple of halves kindly donated by the local brewery sponsoring the event. Lovely evening 😊

VERY slow buggy recovery running since, with limited sleep seemingly correlating with limited running speed. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    SQ, I think it probably does...I tend not to use much of the fancy stuff you have to program in.
    Well done on your race...at least you beat the first lady. Not always easy, that.

Today was the Runthrough Jubilee 5K at the Olympic Park (there was also a 10K, but four laps of that course made me lose the will to live when I tried it before, so there was no way I was doing that again, and certainly not two days after the Wimbledon race).
    Anyway, I didn't get there quite early enough to do my customary 1 mile warm-up job so I just settled for some skips and strides. Legs felt tired. Guess I should have seen that coming after Wednesday...that and it felt hot to me (17 degrees apparently, but it was very warm in the sun). I'd hoped I might get back under 27 minutes but that proved to be a vain hope (I ran 27:42 in the end). I wore my strap and HR was in the 180s for most of it so I don't think I could have pushed much harder. Didn't feel like I wanted to, either.
    Oh well. Got the nice medal and Runthrough's legendary flapjack so I'll count it as a win.
    I've got more races next week...a relay in Richmond Park on Wednesday night (still figuring out how to get there) and then I signed up for the Dorking 10 mile on the Sunday. I don't know what I was thinking. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - sounds like a great race, a beer rsce sounds ideal. Was the beer free for runners ? 6.20s is decent on a hilly route, going well..........i only usually do 3min reps, thought id mix it up. I have entered a few local races over the next month or do which will hopefully give me a fitness boost.

Cal - nice one, good to see you able to push it a bit again, and not worry about croaking it (as you said). Dorking 10 sounds good (and hilly). Dont think ive had a flapjack at any of the Runthrough races ive done.

Minimal 5m easy today.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Got a nice pic at least! (They were handing out the flags so I thought, why not?)
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Cal - Great pic.  Good luck for those races, especially Richmond Park, used to live close and run around the park many a time.

SQ - Congrats on the run in that beautifully sounding hilly race, your putting together a string of really good performances. I would give the thumbs-up to the Newport marathon, a tight course, I measured 26.3m, enough people to run with and pan flat.  It had enough buzz without being OTT and well organised.  

Ticked off 10k climbing on the Strava challenge for May and repeating again this month as training for my Alpine run in the summer. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one cal

Newport sounds ideal, enough people to chase is what i like. London gets dangerous with all the weaving and drinks station chaos.

all the recent shorter runs have a whole let less logistics around them, and my body has started to feel better. But it was bothering me that i havnt run long for around 4 wks already,......so 10+, became 15, 16 and then 18 today. Legs were pretty tired and achey, but managed a few hops and skips afterwards so couldn't have been too ruined. Hopefully im on the up again now.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR...yes I've checked and Dorking does have some hills. Suffice to say I won't be anywhere near my 10 mile PB, even though it's the softest of my PBs. I reckon I'll be doing well to get under 1:40.
    Well done on the 18! I've not gone further than 12 since Manchester...going to try tomorrow but will see how everything feels after a week of racing.

My parkrun choice for today was Upton Court in Slough. Partly because I needed a U for my parkrun alphabet, but I also felt the fact it has a view of Windsor Castle to be fitting this weekend. The park itself is a fairly plain green field with Slough rugby club in one corner, and a line of trees. However, there were some gorgeous wildflower sections (poppies and some other flowers) on the first part of the course.

I opted to run from the station (it's about 1.3 miles but I ran a bit extra around the park as I was early, so I did 2), then (after a little wait...the rugby club is open to drop bags, pee, have a drink etc) the parkrun itself. It's a two lap course with the first lap a little bigger than the second. I'd say two thirds is grass and one third on hard path, but it's firm grass so I was OK with my road shoes. I pushed a little but not to the point where my breathing sounds like someone sawing through a log...I have had two races already this week, after all. But as it turned out, I ran a very similar time to yesterday: 27:39 (it was cooler and slightly drizzly with a breeze, which made it more comfortable than yesterday so I was a couple of seconds faster despite the grass). 
    Once I'd got scanned and whatnot, I jogged back to the station (1.3 miles) and got the train home again. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - a hilly 10m will be a good test, no time pressure, just aim for a strong run. Is that another new parkrun location for you?

Sunday turbo, back on the run commutes tomorrow.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yes, TR...needed a U.  :D (I've not been that fixated on doing the parkrun alphabet seeing as I have to go all the way to York for a Y and abroad for a Z...there are no Xs anywhere in the world...but figured I might as well go for the U as Upton Court is actually one of the closer ones I've not done now). 

Well it seems I am paying for doing two races and a parkrun in four days - felt like utter crap this morning, just groggy and tired. I usually go out early, especially on Sunday as it's normally my longest run of the week, but I decided to eat breakfast and go out just before 10 to see if that helped. It didn't. I shuffled for four miles and decided that was enough. Been feeling slightly wheezy, actually...never been diagnosed with asthma but I'm wondering if I've developed it in my old age, or if I'm just run down and tired. Hoping I feel better tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Parkrun takes a lot of logistics then cal. Not surprised you felt tired given recet efforts.

Back to work so back on the run commutes, 10m home last night. But had to drop my lads car today for early mot tomorrow, so i ran early before dropping the car off. 8m inc 10x3mins, av pace was poor, but that was due to tired legs from recent training rather than feeling ropey, so thats a plus. 4m jog home, do i can run in tomorrow to bring the car home, and then run in thursday to bring the bike home.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you're on the mend TR.
    Decent time at Upton Court Cal - I found it on the slow side.
    Beer race sounds like a cracker SQ - top racing again.
    Week away in Devon & Cornwall.
    Most notable run was a midweek 20 miler along the SWCP from Hartland Quay to Westward Ho! Over 4,000' of elevation & an absolute scorcher of a day so not fast. Stunning bit of coastline.
    Just 5.7 miles of N.Devon left now :)
    This was a walk from Hartland on the Friday. Lundy on the horizon.
    No description availableParkrun was Tamar Lakes. Warm & sticky despite a really strong wind. Single lap on hard packed trail - should be reasonably quick but I've done it twice now & been slow both times: 20:23 Saturday & 20:22 last September.
    Did 15 miles of Camel trail & country lanes round Bodmin Sunday for a 57M week.
    Just 5M lunch runs the last 2 days. Final Hereford 5K race tomorrow evening.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    TR - Nice 10k on the other thread.
    Jools - Cracking views.
    Cal - Nice parkrun.

No autumn race yet, deciding what I want to do. Like SQ, may target a half. After 2 weeks off, easing back in now and should hit 30 miles this week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Some cracking training and adventures there jools. Final 5k of the series ! I havnt done any of my series yet, i missed the first two due to lurgies.

Steve - nice one on the break, will do your body good.

Easy 7m for me this morning.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a lot, TR.
    Lovely view, Jools...Tamar Lakes sounds nice too.
    Steve, no rush I guess.

Yesterday was an easy 6 with some strides in the last mile. Today I had Parkland Relays in the evening, but did a recovery-pace three in the morning to get the legs going. 
    Parkland Relays is held on an undulating trail route in Richmond Park and is just under 3 miles with a whacking great hill in mile 2.
    I guess the pandemic break didn't help my club as, despite having something like 2000 members, we could only manage to field two male and one female team. Our best male team came fourth but I think us ladies were near the back as I have no speed any more and one of the other members is a 40-something who is still dealing with the long term effects of Covid. But we weren't last, at least. I did quite enjoy it...just wish I could find my missing top gear.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - good that you enjoyed it. 2000 members is a lot?

7m easy run in yday (car home).

Thought id try a tempo today, did 3 easy and then 8m steady (approx mp +10%) in the end as i was out early enough. Was going to pick it up in the last few miles but the effort level felt enough as it was. Didnt want to push hard.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Easy miles early yday, then overseas (IoW) for a wedding, which meant i was a bit tired and hungry for todays long run. But managed 16m despite being on fumes by the end.