Not run a marathon a while.....

Hi everyone - I have a place in London in October and have been thinking about how I'm going to train for this as it's been 7 years since I ran that distance.
I've been running for 20 years or so fairly constantly and have run 13 marathons and many halfs in that time. I usually run 5 days a week averaging around 30-35 miles per week which usually equates to 4 x 6 miles and then a longer run on a Sunday. I've been thinking about my approach in terms of training to run a marathon again and have allocated 3 months for a training schedule. As I have a decent base, do you think it might just be a matter of varying some of my weekday runs and then upping the millage at the weekend?
It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has any similar experiences and how they approach it.
Thanks

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    David - that sounds a sensible approach.   You have a good base in place so you just need to build on it.   I'd suggest putting a couple of races in there too, especially a half marathon about 3 weeks before your marathon, that will give you a good indication of what pace you should be able to run your marathon.

There are plenty of marathon training plans, you could find one and just edit it to suit you.
  • Thanks for the advice. I'm going to build on my mileage over the next few weeks and start July with a half marathon race. Can't say I'm looking forward to those 20 mile training runs again!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    David - I don't like doing long training runs either but I like running marathons.   But if you prepare a training plan for yourself sometimes it's easier to follow a plan especially for the long runs, rather than decide on the day or tell yourself that's what you should be doing. 

Not always possible at the end of the summer but maybe you could find a 20 mile race to do?   That would be one less long training run.   :)
  • Preparation is always the key and I'm very good at sticking to a plan once it is set. That's a job for the weekend!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the training.

You're welcome to join us on Shades Marathon Training thread, we do a few marathons a year and sometimes it helps to report in on your training, especially those long runs.