Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes, I'd missed the line before!! Mistaking it for some in show catchphrase. Whoops.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Yes that right SG. There's always a view from the city centre and there's a church in the distance - the guest house was right by it. Jools - get on it - the episodes are all on All4. Really good, lots of 90's music on it too.

Marston 5k was funny last night in the fact that there were 6 of our training group in it and we came 1st and2nd male, the 16 year old was first lady in 16.56 and course record - her mum was 3rd and 1st FV45. And the only runner not winning an individual prize won in the team prize ;) Quite a warm run over there, but nice all the same.

Ran round parkrun with this morning - Southern Athletics league at Battersea tomorrow via Mile End first.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Had a weird idea that race was a pretty low key standard SC, but maybe not then?
    Unless it was outside of your club's takeover?

14miler for me, long loop up to Beaconsfield, Penn, Hazlemere and back.
    Graph is a good view, as it's basically a number of long climbs, and then a severe 300+ feet mile down late on. It'd be an absolute world of pain in reverse, as there's a certain bit of that already steep mile that is reallly steep :D 

Did a couple of walks to enhance my stats for this work exercise challenge, so I'm on 29miles for 3 days.
    Obviously i'm miles down the "miles" table, as some cyclists are on 100+ miles already!

They've said prizes are done on "minutes", but unless there's some sort of hidden table I've no idea how they're going to do that!
    Either way, I won't go out of my way to change the training week.

Will weigh up whether to do the local 5k summer series race on the local park on Tuesday, or just do a morning session instead.
  • Stevie G said:

14miler for me, long loop up to Beaconsfield, Penn, Hazlemere and back.
    Graph is a good view, as it's basically a number of long climbs, and then a severe 300+ feet mile down late on. It'd be an absolute world of pain in reverse, as there's a certain bit of that already steep mile that is reallly steep :D 
    Nah! A 14 mile run with under 700 feet of ascent and 300 feet of descent in the last mile doesn't allow you to talk about climbs. In the Chilterns, 100 feet per mile is really the minimum you can get away with and yesterday I hit over 1,500 in 11 miles: 3 of those miles were over 100m of ascent. It's always a hard one when you work across the valleys (so up and down the sides) rather than following the valley bottom.

Good run anyway: I see the media is getting ready for "What a scorcher!" weather so will you do earlies?

It is a bit odd that they are not publishing a leader board for your company challenge. My kid brother has 2 dogs and walks them twice a day and knocks off about 70 miles a week doing so. I expect someone like that will win. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's all relative big P. 
    I'll tell certain people about that Murder mile and they'll act like that's nothing :D 

Sooner you than me with the climbs, too much offroad or climbing just makes it a real bind for me.
    Even today's run, which was a slight variation on my 3miles out and back Micklefield run, but using some of the other side of the woods felt hard work at dribble pace.

There will be plenty of "it's too hot" talk from me, let alone the media.
    Second only to the "at least it's not humid, that's the real killer" talk.

Unless it is humid on top...

The leader board is in miles, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of "Minutes" one, which is what prizes are dished out on.
    I won't go out of my way to add extras unless I see I'm competitive for top 3 75% of the timescale in...
    The current leader, on 103 miles 3 days in put something ominous like "saving the running miles for next weekend".
    If he's doing Endure it really is game over!

Should have signed up for solo, 24 hours worth would take some beating!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    SG - Marston 5k varies year to year-  Bedford have flooded it some years, 2 under 15.00 a couple of years!

Yesterday was interesting, different sides of London for the kid - very nice junior parkrun in Friary pk, Barnet, shame the kid got outsprinted for the win by a 14 year old! This was on way to Mile End - bit different. Stayed there for a bit and helped with the hurdles before going to my SAL at Battersea. 

1500 was a real struggle - basically exactly the same as last time, but it was windier. Just so hard, windy and suffering from the pollen, chest felt a bit tight. So it was 67 at 400, 2.16 at 800 (which was better), 3.09 at the bell - but just slowed a bit last lap for 4.20.2. Feel strong enough, just need a bit more speed. 

Hillingdon tonight, 800 and 3000 in Southern masters.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    The racing never ends for you old son :)

Still weighing up whether to throw my local race in tomorrow eve, versus a decent sesh instead in the morn.

Pro is that it's 5mins away, and always a good social around people, and it's always a great feeling post race.

Con is that it's non PO10, won't be as quick as BP, and is on a park I've run 1,000s of times so I know every cm of the course. Plus evening races can hang over you all day and make you feel slightly on edge.

Different to the parkrun it has a 1km loop first, and then round the back of the park, on the slightly undulating paths, to the end, hairpin turn, then a narrow pavement next to a river, where you hope no-one is walking dogs/buggies/punk kids about etc, before what seems like the longest ever last km in :)

Over in 18mins or under though I suppose.
  • Stevie G said:
    It's all relative big P. 
    I'll tell certain people about that Murder mile and they'll act like that's nothing :D 

Totally agree, my climbing is insignificant compared to Jools or Dean (MeepMeep as was).

I had a good outing on Saturday: I think SG was right with the change needed as it is way too easy to rock up at parkrun each Saturday and do an OKish job. There were pacers out and the best I have done recently was 22:53 and one was advertised as 22 minutes so I gave it a go. I held onto his tails until the steps at about 2.75 km and then drifted back a bit but still got 22:26 so chipping away. I need 22:08 to get to 70% WAVA (or wait until I turn 57 in September and 22:20 is all I need). To be frank, the pacer was a nice guy but he had a shouty girl alongside him and it was quite a relief to drop back: there is nothing quite like someone shouting at you to relax to make you feel unrelaxed. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    No reason you can't nicely move through the 70% gears if you choose to PJ.

Who was the shouter? Someone jogging along with the pacer to encourage those people near by?

I can't believe she was even in the same ball park as the BP screamer last week. Literally, (and for once the correct use of the word literally) 5k of noise, a really off putting pain and pleasure constant sound track.
    Looking forward to tonight's turnout in blissful silence hopefully!
    Could do with cooling down a bit though, but in general 5k you can usually soak it up.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Sounds horrific Phil ;)

Sounds like a really good social race though SG, always a good thing and if it's not fast, not being on PO10 might be a good thing.

Travel out to Uxbridge tube for Hillingdon was hassle free, had a decent warm up for the 800 - chest felt lots better after the 1500, legs not too bad. Usual suspects there, the fast Serpies guy and the big (ex decathlete as i found out later) from TVH.

Started off the curve and settled in behind these two, Serpies in front. Got to the bell in 63, which was a bonus and the Serpies guy left us behind to win in 2.05 eventually. Good battle with the TVH guy all down the back straight and finally broke him with 150 to go. Managed to keep the legs going pretty well to come home in 2.08.05. Well happy with that, especially after racing the day before.

Filled in for the 200m 20 mins later - Didn't get time, probably about 30 secs.

3,000m had the same TVH guy from last year, the v35 bloke, wearing NB Carbon shoes - to be fair there were quite a few illegal shoes on show. This time me and Ben P just followed him round in which must have been 75's - I didn't know as I had not started my watch properly. So Ben went with him, but beat us both in 9.18 I think. I did about 9.24 I think, which was ok in the circumstances. No racing now until Eastern masters Wednesday week.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, no lose really SC, as long as the odd tight feel I had in the 200metres after starting my walk doesn't show itself when running :)

Just the chance to bank a local as it gets race and have a jabber after.

Nice set of turnouts. Are shoes not "Policed" to any level in these track events then? Especially as the stuff you do tends to be proper meets rather than open casual stuff?
    What's the reason they clamp down on certain shoes for track, but not for road?
    More bounceability on rubber?!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Seems like these days I only come on here to whinge, but genuinely after some advice.....

On Sunday morning I felt slightly under the weather, but managed a decent 6 miler, the day after another decent 6 miler with minimal discomfort in the hamstring. I put the under the weather feeling down to a 2am bed time Friday morning, followed by a rather drunken post work evening.  Anyway, the lack of hamstring pain made me feel more positive, until I started feeling pretty wretched later that day! Having been fully immersed in the mosh pit at Brixton Academy last Thursday night (something not done in 30 years, almost to the day and coincidentally at the Academy last time too!!!!) I suspected Covid, but tested negative. Anyway, overnight into yesterday (my birthday - what a way to spend it!) I felt even worse and developed a rasping cough, headache and shivers to boot.

So, after sod all sleep last night from waking myself up coughing every ten minutes, I then get a phone call from the gf - she had tested positive! So, I tested again, and within milliseconds got a thick as chips double line back - grrr!  I still feel pretty crap now, and am coughing a lot, but given how much mileage I've lost over the past few weeks with the hamstring, I am keen to get back running asap.

Not tonight, obvs, but at what point have those with Covid felt it sensible to get back out there without risking lung or heart damage? I'm thinking I should at least wait until the cough has subsided and no sign of temperature and then run to heart rate rather than pace.  The only literature I can find basically is all doom and gloo and says wait until your muscles have atrophied to the point of starting again!

Welcome your thought....ta!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    It's all relative big P. 

Excellent - an opportunity 🤣 That's nuffin SG - try the Grisdale Grind - 1575ft in 1.3M 😉
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Personally I judge it by how I feel rather than what others do or 'experts' suggest. The two times I had Covid I carried on training at a lower intensity, I didn't cause myself coughing fits but probably could have if I had done any high intensity.

Last week I had fatigue, headaches and toilet troubles and could barely train at all and missed three days. Assuming that wasn't Covid but didn't test and three times in 15 weeks would seem unlikely!

I was sufficiently recovered to do the Tour of Cambridgeshire on Sunday. 100 mile Gran Fondo/race on closed roads. They set us off in waves of about 60-80 I guess. I took a few turns on the front to try and get the group moving but it wasn't quite as fast as I had hoped. I made an attack about an hour in and stayed away from the peloton for 25 minutes but a combination of long straight roads into headwinds and the realisation that I had an Ironman coming up in two weeks meant I sat up and rejoined the group. Pretty much stayed in the pack until the last 20 minutes when I pushed on on a small hill and stayed at the front and sprinted away at the finish to finish first from our wave, as far as I could tell anyway. Good event but the route was a little boring with no hills.

Wasn't quite right even then but feeling ok now but feel like I need another week of higher volume now to get the rhythm back.
  • Stevie G said:
    Who was the shouter? Someone jogging along with the pacer to encourage those people near by?

I can't believe she was even in the same ball park as the BP screamer last week. Literally, (and for once the correct use of the word literally) 5k of noise, a really off putting pain and pleasure constant sound track.

I assume she was somehow related to the pacer as they had the same club vest on and definitely knew each other. She definitely wasn't in the top band, I'd say 8/10: I've been near worse: the most offputting was one good-looking lady who seemed to be loudly in pleasure.

Bus, sending sympathy but I can't help specifically as I suspect I have not had Covid. My normal practice is if it is not a running-related injury I just get back to it ASAP but take it easy.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus - you are definitely reliving youthful years right now aren't you. Moshing with sweaty oiks at a gig? :D 

Because you've missed loads of mileage over the last year, I therefore wouldn't be in too much of a rush to get back to be honest.
    You sound like you've had a bit of a nasty case, so perhaps go cautious the other side, and just build back with walks, and a few short gentle runs first.

ps Happy birthday though  B)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    Stevie G said:
    It's all relative big P. 

Excellent - an opportunity 🤣 That's nuffin SG - try the Grisdale Grind - 1575ft in 1.3M 😉
    Would be interesting to know what the run / walk cut off is in terms of elevations.
    The first quarter of the murder mile is pretty runnable. Second quarter starts becoming hard, third quarter near unrunnable, and 4th quarter very similar until the last 80metre totally flat!

It's truly surreal staggering up deliriously at "march" pace, and then suddenly being able to rouse a hard finish!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bus - i had CV november 2020 un-vax but had minimal symptoms, it took me a long time to get back to full fitness, in terms of racing/reps. Tight chest and body aches. I wasnt allowed out the house back then, so easy paced turbo only once my RHR was normal again....
    ....i reckon i had it again in April when i dropped out of Brighton mara and then had raised RHR for a few days......had wooziness, body aches, tight chest at times when running and im still not back to 100% now........id say defo dont do anything until your RHR is normal, then real easy running or turbo and monitor how you feel. It might take a while to be 100%, but you might recover quicker than me as i first caught it un-vaxed.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers all. Sound like good advice all round. Only trouble with the resting heart rate TR is I don’t know! I generally only wear the Garmin when running… sounds like you had it linger for a while though

SG - I think in the Grisedale race, very few would be able to run the whole ascent!

Nice bike ride Reg, if a little sensibly approached 🤣 You are right about routes with no hills!

oh, and the moshing was great fun! It only felt like last week rather than 30 years! The gf was very impressed too 🤣 People have got a lot bigger over the years though!

Right, just an easy walk for now then - too knackered for anything else anyway!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bus - i take a manual count of my RHR when i wake up in the morning.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Hope you feel better soon Bus. Good advice from SG and TR.

As soon as I was negative I just gave it a week then started jogging again to be sure.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Another 5k turn outlast night then.

Handy Cross Wycombe 5k

I did plan to get a Rose Inn 4miler in this summer and this was one of the potential dates.
    But I just couldn't apply any sensible logic in driving 120miles to do that, when there's a summer series race half a mile away!

Same approach as the last 2 week Tuesday race, usual long run, 6&4 Monday, and then no run before the race on the Tuesday (used to have done a morning easy one too).

Came 4th at the last one of these, but it's always a bit of a lotto who turns up from the 5 or 6 local clubs involved in the series.
    Massive difference from last week's 67th out of 200 or so field quality!!

Lovely 7pm cruise from the door to the park, for a 7.30 start.
    The ultimate sod's law of there almost being too much time to mess about for this one, when I could have done with 30mins later to the start time at the BP 7pm start!

Instantly saw my clubmate Bradders, who is always competitive even if he's not run for 3months. He keeps very fresh for races, having not run at all since Thursday!
    Effortless style, you can hardly hear him.

Knew a few of last week's top 10 wouldn't be here, but last time's 3rd place was here, as was another clubmate Dave Lee.
    They'd be the obvious top 2.

Would there be anyone else unknown to battle for 3rd with me, Bradders and a Burnham Jogger? Time would tell.

Different route to the parkrun, and the original 5k route back in the mid to late 2000s.

This one starts near one kid's park, and is a loop round back to where you start for about 1km.
    Then the proper race gets going!

Start line saw the main 2 get going, gently eased off past others, and basically that order until 1km. Eyes on some guy's errant dog running across the narrow path we're on next to the water!

Could feel Bradders and Burnham quite close behind, but a 3.23 km banked.

2nd km is same as the starting bit, but then you're round the back of the Dyke, past a Fire Engine that was there for some reason, along with 50 or so firemen?

That left quite a narrow line to run past them, but all very easy at my end of the field. Could be awkward later on midpack!

Round the back of the Dyke and up a little climb that feels quite powerful bizarrely.
    But quickly into the gently undulating bit behind the water that never feels quick at all.

At this point it's just try and work reasonably decently,and forget the pace.

Leaders aren't far off but feel enough of a distance to know i'm not catching them, and the guys behind don't "sound" too close, but I know they're close enough!

To the end of the park, silly hairpin turn, where you have to go down to about 7min miling, catch sight of the guys behind me looking about 4 or 5 seconds behind max... and onto the tiptoing along a narrow path next to the water!
    This isn't where you want much traffic, either from park users or fellow runners :)

I've seen a photo after the race and the guys behind look pretty close here, at about 3.2km!

I know if I can make it to 4km in the lead of them I'll definitely see the last km out, on home soil.

So it proves, I can feel I've taken a bit more ground, and then just break it in to 2x400 and then a couple of straights.

Leaders go through 14/15 seconds ahead, I go through in 17.38
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    4th and 5th are another 14/15 seconds behind. My clubmate having apparently walked for a bit briefly, which is his frequent thing to do in races. Must be a sign you've gone too hard really?

Happy it's another of those races where i've maximised position, and can't knock a 3rd.

Funny course really. On the one hand it's flat and there's some decent surfaces. But there is a near about turn, some dodgy rutted paths in the last km, and you constantly feel like you have to be high alert concentration in case any dogs/park users get in the way.
    Splits of first and last mile around 5.35 and middle mile over 6 speaks volumes too!

Loads of decent chats and catchups with old and current teammates and a decent cool down with an old Marlow clubmate after some food.

Made the overall mileage up to 7miles, so a nice day's work.

Rubbish sleep! As you tend to get with the post midweek race adrenaline, but just a couple of short runs today, 3m this morn and off for a shortish one now for recovery :)
  • SG, looks like a good podium result! who were 1 and 2? You said Dave Lee plus one other.

Did you ask for a medal or at least a photo of the top 3?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Davenport of Maidenhead.
    No getting too giddy, I won this very race back in 2018 I think it was.

Think the course was slightly different as I seem to recall the finish being in a straight line in front of the tennis courts,  rather than the last turn right to match the parkrun finish, but a quicker time than yesterday's winning time marginally too :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work SG - nice way to spend a summer evening literally from your front door 😎
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    Yep, no lose really SC, as long as the odd tight feel I had in the 200metres after starting my walk doesn't show itself when running :)

Just the chance to bank a local as it gets race and have a jabber after.

Nice set of turnouts. Are shoes not "Policed" to any level in these track events then? Especially as the stuff you do tends to be proper meets rather than open casual stuff?
    What's the reason they clamp down on certain shoes for track, but not for road?
    More bounceability on rubber?!

I think they need to circulate that table of whats allowed and what isn't before the start of the season tbh. Its too late otherwise really. The masters events are a bit more laid back though.

I think there's a certain amount of sole thickness that's not allowed. And especially 3,000m and below, it just doesn't look right. Dragonfly are often lots cheaper than some people spend on carbon plated trainers - and you can usually make them last for 2 track seasons. Roughly £65 per year.
  • Stevie G said:

No getting too giddy, I won this very race back in 2018 I think it was.

No, best part of 2 minutes behind Ben Livesey 

https://www.maidenheadac.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/TVARC-5K-Series-2018-HX.pdf

It is fun looking at the old results from the late 90's. I see Chris Donald 16:17 for 5k

https://www.maidenheadac.org/mac/general/TVARC/5kdat96.pdf

Is that the Purple Patch guy?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ah 2017 it was, 17.21.

The problem of course with this series is the sketchiness of the distances at times. 
    17.10 I supposedly did at Maidenhead somewhere between 2006-2008, I suspect that was a decent chunk short as it took years to beat that!
    Frank F was 16.43 that day, and has nothing on file within 16 seconds, and where were those? Marlow, which has to be a quicker course, and I'm certain has been short more than my 1 guaranteed example below.

16.51 at Marlow in 2018 was for certain a good 20seconds short. (3.04m on the watch I think).
    This year's I'm relaxed about as I think 3.08m is about a decent tolerance level on courses with turns and tree cover etc. Battersea Park, which has no doubt about being 3.09 as comparison.
  • PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Stevie G said:
    Ah 2017 it was, 17.21.

I assume you have those results via email, the website has a link to the 2016 results in the 2017 entry in the table. It looks like I did 2016 and 2019 but not the years between.

My best "5k race" was 16:52 for a very short 2.91miles. I got a trophy for that!