P&D Autumn Marathon 2022

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, not all are runners...some are triathletes or cyclists. But I'd guess over half are runners. It's a big club.
    Well done on your run.
    Did 6 easy yesterday and then parkrun (with 1 mile warm-up) today. A parkrun friend offered me a lift part-way to Black Park (I had to tube it out to meet her). It's a big country park near Langley (near Slough) but one of those that's a massive pain without a car. There were a lot of parkrun tourists there as it was event 610 and many were using one of the parkrun challenge apps that has a fibonacci challenge (I just use the Chrome extension which doesn't, but Black Park was my NENDY...nearest event not done yet...so wanted to do it anyway).
    Anyway, while I didn't take it easy as such, I didn't gun it either as I've Dorking 10 tomorrow. 29:07...actually finished in the top half, so that's OK.
    Also my last parkrun as a V50!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good day’s fun Cal. Good luck tomorrow & Happy Birthday this week sometime I presume.
    Decent mileage given extracurricular activities TR.
    Stinking cold still with me. Felt so rough I contemplated skipping parkrun this morning 😱 Glad I didn’t. Back to my local hilly trail one: Mallard’s Pike. I got a course PB of 19:46 there only 3 weeks ago so what with lurgy & Wednesday’s 5K race in the legs I wasn’t expecting great things. 
    2M warm-up with a few strides felt OK.
    No real speedsters at the start other than a mate’s young lad who’s now almost 6’ & built like a distance runner. 
    I’m in the lead for 100m or so with the youngster & another guy on my shoulders they come past but about 100m further on my legs wake up & I glide past both of them. Get to 0.5M & I’m still in front but I know it’s not going to last as the young lad’s barely working. The gradient goes up a gear here & he goes past. I stay in touch/sight but it’s clear he’s got this (unless he can’t run downhill). Get to the summit at 2.8K then fly back down. I clock 13:02 for 2M so I’m in with a shout of breaking my PB again which motivates me to keep pushing. 5:52 for the 3rd mile but there’s a nasty kick to the finish. I push hard & I’m amazed to see 19:35 on the watch after crossing 😎 Even better it gets rounded down to 19:34 on the results. Walked back to the car, changed shoes then jogged another 9 on the trails to make 14 for the day. I still don’t feel great but better than I did first thing.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Jools that's amazing considering you're not well. (I did a parkrun with a stinking cold earlier in the year...I walked very slowly at the back with the tail walker).
    Birthday's Friday. I'll be hopping on a train to Manchester to see my friend...trying to decide on what parkrun to do up there.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - another one on the total, how did Dorking go?

Jools - that was a nice surprise then. Bodes well for when you are next healthy and fresh. A result of some shorter distance emphasis?

Turbo day for me, tried to keep it a bit steady as have a trail race Wednesday and 10k Sunday, my legs wont know what's hit them.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Badly. Started at what I thought was a modest pace but got slower and slower. It was hot and undulating and neither my body nor my head could deal with it. Personal worst, by quite a bit.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - mmm, it was very warm this morning, i knew that race would be lumpy too. Well done for sticking it out, think of the training effect......
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Only ran 700m today but biked 102M. Went down to Brizzle to support a couple of mates (non-athletes) doing their 1st triathlon then back via my daughter’s showjumping competition. Great day out but knackered now.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Not surprised jools, that must have been a long day with the supporting time added in.

16 wks til london so time to start getting in training for the training, which means building towards mlr Monday with 11m today.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Very disciplined TR.
    I've not given much thought to Newport specific work yet & probably won't have much of a plan til September. Seem to be going OK at the minute anyway.
    Amazingly sprightly bike commute both ways followed by a 6M undulating run afterwards. Legs were good as new!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - your recent 5k times bode well, later you'll add the training miles which will slow your legs a bit but get you ready for Newport. Your legs bounced back quick......im doing a 1/2 early july and its 13 wks from there. Need to find 2 or 3 build up races for August and Sept.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ha I wish my legs were as good as new. Not too sore but they felt pretty heavy (though I did go out after 9 and it was rather warm). I'm glad I'm escaping to Manchester this weekend.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - not surprised your legs are heavy

Jools - Brighton must have been listening, on the day bag drop and number in the post......

5m easy commute this morning. This weeks 10x3min will be done tomorrow evening with zero rest intervals at the Hayling Billy trail 5m.
  • Long time no post but better throw my hat in the ring for London.

Happy birthday for later this week Cal.  Going to Manchester should guarantee heatwave avoidance.

Jools, good time at PR especially with the cold.  Cracking coastal pic last page.

TR -  good news on Brighton, almost tempted myself, but…..Sounds like you’ve a decent plan for London, really doesn’t sound far away now.

After a lot of stop starting, 3xdns +1xdnf and a bunch of other races I’d waited 2+years to run, I called time on the pity party (although I can still hear feint music in the background) and went to see a fizz.  Feeling a bit more positive now about the hammy although chucking away a summer of racing still rankles as does around £500 of race fees but entirely self inflicted so lesson learnt.  What to do when on the bench with time to kill…..research some of the majors, already in for NY but Boston next April looks appealing and lucky enough to have a BQ.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I think it'll still be very warm up there, but not 30 degrees at least. It's already nearly 26 in my room.
    Macca, I know how that feels, unfortunately - I had to can a load of runs last year. 
    When on the bench, work on strength.

Did another 5 today but with a bit of speed work chucked in...need to get that back again.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    TR said:
    Jools - Brighton must have been listening, on the day bag drop and number in the post......
    Saw that. Thought you’d be pleased. They’ve probably listened as entries are down. I’m only guessing but it seems to be a pretty widespread problem for race organisers. My little 10K usually sells out in 2-4 weeks but this year I’m at just over 60% after 6 weeks.
    Hope the trail race went well for you.

Glad to hear you’re finally getting back on it Macca.

Yesterday: Bike commute, 6x800m on the track lunchtime + another 2K in the pool after work left me shattered. Calorie deficit in evidence.
    Today: bike commute then a 13M multi-terrain plod this evening went well.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Brighton have always taken the piss when it comes to stuff like that. I guess they realise people are starting to realise there are better options. It's one of the reasons I've never run it, even though it's closer to home (and technically my home marathon as I was born there, although I've been in London since infancy).

Up early for 8 miles this morning...already getting rather warm so I was getting thirsty by the end. Nice run though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Macca - well done on going to the fizz, what did they say ?

Jools - race market is saturated due to the runthrough, active training world etc maybe some runners havnt come back yet either

Brighton suits me with the improved logistics as the park and ride works well and its only 45 mins on the day.

Hayling Billy 5 yday on bike/horse/walking trail, no time pressure as its off road so aim was to run strong, pick up some places and hopefully no woozy or tight chest issues like at Bognor. Managed all the above. 31:12ish for 12th or 13th, but was defo first M50 as i got a trophy. Bit slower pace than Bognor, but would be quicker if it was tarmac. Got beat by the odd person id expect to beat, so im not back where i was yet, but hopefully on the mend.

11m home tonight, legs were a bit achey late on and feet are a bit sore from ydays stoney paths.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good news from both of you then.
    Good to hear ofyou enjoying an 8 miler Cal, feels like a while.
    Very decent 5M time TR, confirmed by the MV50 🏆
    Very warm evening up here last night which will have conspired with the terrain to slow you up.
    Full Tri training today with 2x7M bike commutes, track at lunch & swim after work. Track was 6x600m off 1’ followed by 6x200m off 1’ with 3’ walk between & a 900m wu including 3x70m strides. Started at 1:30: full sun & no wind so it was like stepping into an oven. Great session with the 600s getting faster with each rep followed by a consistent set of significantly faster 200s. The Y9 lad did well to hang on & complete the session. 
    Sports day next Tuesday. He’s doing 1500m & 800m. Interested to see how he goes. Next Thursday we’re having another crack at getting him a sub-20 5K. He’s certainly got the speed & endurance hopefully we’ve now added some speed endurance.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good days work there jools.

5m easy this morning, similar tomorrow instead of a long run, then an undulating 10k sunday which is going to be a shock so close to the Billy race.

• Jools - good tri training.  I read the “started at 1:30” as 90 secs for the 600 reps 😂 

Cal - glad the 8m was good if warm.  Lashing it down in Mancs yet ?

TR - that’s a good time for a trail 5m, as Jools says, evidenced by the trophy.  Good luck with the 10k this weekend.

I’ve noticed a few races that I would expect to sell out still offering places, I wonder if it’s cost of living or reluctance to commit to something down the line.

Fizz diagnoses a mild strain which I kept aggravating. I knew this but needed someone to tell me and give me a road map out of it.  TBF, as I recounted the last few weeks of strain, rest, repeat,  I thought to myself “you sound a right ****” (me - not the fizz).  Anyway, I’ve got some specific exercises and a diet of 2m every other day with a strictly easy turbo in between. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - well at least you have a diagnosis and plan. Fizz's tend to be conservative so hopefully you'll improve quickly. Sounds similar to me in 2018, i kept getting a hammy issue, the fizz was giving me exercises, in the end i just asked them to give it a good going over, which worked........i thought my 5m time was a bit slow, but as its trail its tricky to know. Main thing is i worked hard and had no issues.
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Hello again. I'm gunning to try and win SPOTY (Sporadic Poster of the Year)!   I don't think I've posted this year after also having had a handful of false starts throughout 2021.  Let's see how it goes from here.

I saw Jools at a race 3 weeks ago... a lovely one too (Fountains Five) - and I saw that he mentioned that at the time.  Whilst it was great to catch up, first on the other thread, then this one (though naturally I didn't read ALL of it!)... I didn't post here at the time, and I've forgotten all my mental notes of what people have been doing and, no offence, I'm not going back to read them all again.  

For me, as a recap of where I'm at... out of the blue, my knee hurt last July... and although after a couple of weeks I could generally run on the flat (including Newport Marathon in Oct), any hills were a problem... often a BIG problem.. and there were some days where my everyday life were really affected! After 8 months, I used medical insurance with work to get it privately looked at...  the most arrogant, dismissive, ignorant consultant diagnosed that my knee was wearing out (apparently based on the fact I'm a runner, of a certain age, of a certain duration) and I would have to cut my "20 miles a week" (which was how I'd answered his question)  by a third or a half. Only when I virtually started crying (!!  ok... not quite)... did he mention that he'd do an MRI to check. I am really not sure he was going to bother if I hadn't shown emotion.  So last month, I got the results... and the b*gger was totally wrong! No lasting damage at all. No wear. Just a bit of roughness that may well clear up completely... or at worst, might give me some sporadic grief which would recover with rest.    This week I received a "how did we do?" questionnaire from the hospital... I am looking forward to filling it in!

It's late... but I've been meaning to post for ages, and you're probably bored of this lengthy post by now... so just to say that I'm about 8 or 9 weeks of a steady build up from nearly nothing, and into the mid/upper twenties per week now.  Plan A... the rather fanciful one that keeps me most motivated... is to trundle round the Robin Hood 100 again on Sept 18th.  But probably a more realistic target is Newport Marathon 5 weeks later.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    NE - That's really good news, good on you for getting the MRI. Shocking arrogance from the consultant. Might see you at Newport.
    Jooligan - Super varied training as always, not too long to the triathlon now.
    Macca - Good that you have your firm diagnosis now and a way out to break the pattern - I would have been impatient and done just the same as you and hope against medical science that the run/injury pattern would break with more running! Good luck.

A weekend in the Chamonix Valley last, running best part of 5-6 hours every day, typically slow runs to somewhere interesting (Like a glacier) coffee, run back and repeat. Did its vertical km on the last day, which was a helluva experience. In the excitement of getting there and back, forgot I have a forest trail marathon in Wales next Saturday, so now in taper mode!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good news, NE....sounds like you're on the right track.
    Exciting, OO...and good luck with that mara.
    Macca, that doesn't sound too bad but it would be good to have a proper recovery plan.

Up in Manchester (birthday was yesterday)...glad I didn't want to spend yesterday evening in my flat with it being over 30 degrees.
    Anyway, got my friend to drive me over to Watergrove (near Rochdale) for parkrun. It's apparently the fourth hardest in the country, and now I know why. It's a hilly one with some steep bits, but the toughness comes from the surface - gravelly rocky trail at best, but also stretches of cobbles. Oof! Beautiful though. I was just under 32 minutes which I don't think was too bad under the circumstances. 10th lady but only fourth in my new AG...apparently the North is full of gnarly fell running vets.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    All the best with that comeback NE

Happy birthday Cal, sounds a tough course, is that another to the total?

4m easy here, bit of a late night with too many frothies so good job it wasnt a long run day today as its pretty warm and humid.
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Good luck with that hammy Macca. Missing those races is quite a hit - financially and mentally!
    No matter what the books say TR, I have convinced myself that beer is best when it comes to fuelling. Honest. 
    Happy belated b’day Cal. Hope they had the Hovis music playing while you were battling up those northern cobbles!
    OO- wow, nice place to be running. 
    NE - great to see you back. Good luck 😉 
    Jools - super training, and coaching. 

Great run for me in near continuous summer rain, along Wye riverside paths  last night. Aimed to do a classic P&D 14 with 8 @8 min miles. First time I have tried anything like that for a year and ended up keeping going and achieving 16 w. 10@ 7:53. I felt comfortable going into that tenth mile, sure that I would complete the set of sub 8s but clearly hit my limit and had to pretty much give it my all in the last half mile- my HR trace through the run confirmed that. 
     Very satisfying though. Even makes me wonder what my target race should be. The hundred miler in Sept that I have done before, which I can only hope to just get round. Or I could start an 18 week program for Newport tomorrow- where it feels I could threaten my pb (3:18:51)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    NE - i drink more than enough beer in a week. Id chase that mara PB, 100 miler is a big ask from where you were recently.

Arlesford 10k today, which was sold as undulating, i ran the last 2k as a warm up out and back, and decided it was more hilly than undulating in my opinion, so decided to take it easy early on and then push on later on. Turns out that the only bit of flat was the few hundred metres round the field at the start and finish, and that was slippery due to the overnight rain. Strategy worked well, ran strongly, picked up places and had no issues, with a bit in reserve.
    39.02, conpared to my 38.00 on Bognor Prom and 38.38 at the country park, so decent blow out. 15 wks to go, time  to get on it.
    Dipped in with an M55 category, so picked up a mini hamper and £30 vouncher for the AG win.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice, TR! 6 miles yesterday morning, along the Curry Mile to Platt's Fields and back.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a superbly paced effort TR. Congratulations on another AG win.
    That does sound a tough but rewarding run NE. Go for Newport - we'll probably be pretty close if things go well for you.
    Obviously a weekend for testing parkruns. Well done on getting another done Cal.
    A return to one of the tougher parkruns for me on Saturday: Parke. It's a lumpy trail job around a National Trust property. I've run it twice before 21:26 in March 2017 & 22:36 last October. 
    Went out hard & was in 3rd but then came the 1st climb. It's ridicuously steep & I was overtaken by half a dozen gazelles including 1st F. Worked hard on the false flat & after a duel with her I got away on the down. Got back past another 2 too. After that I settled in 6th. Kept pushing hard right to the end & crossed the line in 21:23 which is a 3s PB & my 2nd best RB handicap score.
    Tacked some more miles on round the lumpy lanes after my cooldown to make it 14 for the day & 50 for the week. No running yesterday after a night's raving - far too hungover/knackered to do anything useful :D
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - curry mile ?

Jools - you're going well, another pb. Good celebrating/raving skills.

Inched monday mlr up to 12m tonight, but that was enough after ydays 10k.