Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Take it easy Bus

And good work on the pot yourself TR.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers SG - trying to!

Missed the V55 hamper first time round TR - nicely done :smiley:
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice one TR and SG. I did notice those obstructions on the mile course when I was down there a few weeks back and thought that could be a tight squeeze.

I am just doing my Covid test now, so the Frogs will let me in the country, glad I've had it twice already this year and it's looking all clear  :p. It's pretty bizarre that you can do your own antigen test at home and just take a photo of it and submit. I could have shoved it up anyone's nose!

Current forecast for Nice is 27c so hot but not the record temperatures Europe was seeing last week. Will still feel considerably hotter in the sun as there's no shade on that marathon course but hopefully there's a nice breeze!

I did manage a 10 mile TT PB last week by 12 seconds of 21:03. It would have been nice to get sub 21 and in fact I only came 3rd with that time. Winner did 20:02 and second 20:29. The consolation is they are both Pros riding for Continental tour teams which I guess is the level below the Pro teams we've all heard of. Nice to be not too far off them.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Reg - your level is high as a cyclist too. Hope your IM goes well. I know the run can get hot there.

SG - im certainly not good enough to target AG prizes, i just get the odd one as a bonus. Ive won my AG and been given nothing in some bigger races, but some of those events companies are doing it as a business. Club races tend to give prizes. But most races you need to win your AG to get a prize, so if decent runners turn up then they beat me. I guess you dipped out as they expected lower numbers on a Hants league day? Im sure you'll win other prizes elsewhere. Gosport 1/2 gives decent amount of prizes, but its a big race with 2000 entries...did you take up the Chichester 10k early bird offer?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Profit companies like Run Through don't seem to give anything out, which is a bit of a joke at £25 for a 5k type fare. Nice work who did the weekend's races seem to get it a bit more, and I bet they get more club runners as a whole.

Gosport mile & 5k is just a nice little low key one, I doubt any other races make much odds to it to be fair.
    Gosport half is certainly something that'd be a stretch to win! I'd imagine a V40 would need something under 1hr 12 or so to compete for that.
    However, those sort of races are for a time, which is even more reason to enter if anything.

I like a nice mix of club stuff, high class races for a time, and a few random low key events to feature highly.

Saw the Chichester Early Bird. Despite being "thrifty" (coughs tight) entering races 8-12 months early is a real mug's game to save a fiver. Just as much chance you end up wazzing the £25-30 away if you can't make it.
    Reading HM started their campaign early trying to offer 20% off the other day!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Gave it a day more after the weekend racing double to recover, then into a 5k sesh today.

5x1km, 2x0.25m, 2x200m off 2min, 1min, 30secs on road.

1km reps got faster as they went on, bar the 4th one which I blame for pretty much having to ease down to jog pace for a few seconds on a mini roundabout to wait for 2 vehicles to pass.
    3.29-3.28-3.26-3.28-3.23

0.25ms at 1.19 and 1.18
    200s at 38 and 37

The latter 2 had the first one slight up, and second one slight down.
    Certainly felt it in the legs in the heat by this end of the sesh!

Good mental boost when you've done the 1kms then, but forgetting you have to then up the pace for the rest of the reps remaining!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I am still waiting to receive any kind of prize for the three triathlons I've done. Overall 1st, 2nd and 3rd places so far and not a thing despite two of the events specifying prizes for top 3.

Decent reps on the road there SG.

I have a decision to make on what shoes to wear in the marathon on Sunday, I don't really fancy Alphaflys, I'd be delighted to run 3:10 and did 3:26 last time so I am not expecting to be running that quickly and they're not the most comfortable at slower speeds in  my mind as they can dig into the arch a little.

I ordered the Asics Metaspeed sky + a while ago but they only arrived today so I don't have many opportunities to test them given I have already done a run today and we leave tomorrow morning! I'll probably give them a little test later tonight. They seem quite nice in the house though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Were you Alphas in your spring races, or were those Next?
    Alphas are meant to be specifically for the longer races aren't they?

Only thing against them I've ever heard was a clubmate coming a cropper round a tight bend and going down.

ps best of luck, marathon (part of a triathlon right?) in the heat sounds tough!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Yes best of luck Reggie - I would have thought the Alpahs would be a no brainer for that distance, especially with the swim and cycle making it harder. Would have thought that Tri prizes would be pretty good as they do charge more.

Decent reps SG. 

Just did a few 100's over the track yesterday as I have a 1500m tonight in Cambridge in the Eastern Masters. Legs a bit achy from Saturday still.

Some companies are greedy bastards. They know that better prizes would tempt better runners, but they aren't interested in that, just hide under the cloak of inclusivity and rake the money in. 

And if you do give prizes, just money, vouchers or booze please...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It really doesn't have to be much does it SC. No one really expects "cash".

I prefer a little momento over vouchers to be honest. Something to keep, rather than some voucher off full sized shoes etc. Usually the sort of shoes you can get cheaper online without using one!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys. 

Yes I used Alphaflys in the spring as they were cheaper than the Next% ironically. I don't own Next%. These Asics Metaspeed Sky+ though are reputedly as fast as the Nike shoes. To be honest I don't like the unnatural feel of the Alphaflys, it's only the speed I appreciate. Ironman is a mental game more than anything else so I'd rather shoes that aren't quite so unstable, particularly if there's some walking involved.

Tri prizes are rubbish generally, normally just a trophy or discount off their other races.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good luck Reg 🤞

DBS!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    Good luck Reg 🤞

DBS!
    Don't think those checks are needed Bus, he's clean  ;)
  • Stevie G said:
    It really doesn't have to be much does it SC. No one really expects "cash".

I prefer a little momento over vouchers to be honest. Something to keep, rather than some voucher off full sized shoes etc. Usually the sort of shoes you can get cheaper online without using one!
    The whole prize thing is very odd. Big races used to offer real cash to attract star athletes as "headliners" but that seems to have died away: there are groups of East African hopefuls who can race a half in the low 60's and can turn up for a Sunday training run and win a half in the high 60's and pocket the cash and eke out a living doing so. I have no problem with that but race organisers didn't like that so they stopped the cash. Anyhow, all that was, and still is, out of my league.

I used to be able to pick up a prize at a few races a year: generally a team prize or an age group. It was nice to win but often a pain: say you have a half marathon with a 9:00 start, so prizes are sorted out by 10:30 but the organisers say "we are waiting for all the volunteers to come back before the presentation" and the last "runner" home is about 12 noon and prizes after that. 

Sometimes it is vouchers and that works if the store is there, so you get a £15 voucher and can get a £20 top for £5 or as many pairs of socks that don't exceed £15. I'm with Simon, beer is generally best, wine I prefer to pick my own and not the 3 for £10 job. 

The ones I have kept are small and personal: engraved medals are nice, certificates with a real signature, small hand crafted items etc.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    My Cliveden XC drinks mat makes a fine door stop for Tesco deliveries!

I won £10 and a trophy (I think) years ago at the Waddesdon 5k for "1st Unattached Male". Ironic, as I was married at the time :smile:

Started feeling a fair bit better yesterday and managed a 7M run in the evening at a pace that was OK. Given up on the wrist based HRM - if I believed it, I would almost certainly be in hospital! Still coughing a bit, but even that seems to be subsiding now. Certainly wasn't a pleasant experience and I don't want it again!
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Some great racing from SG and SC and a very controlled set of tactics from Reg on the bike. 

Good to see TR racing again - you deserve a bit of luck. Same for you, Bus.

Good luck for the big one this weekend, Reg. look forward to a suitably epic report. Remember your goggles 😉 

Big trophy PMJ!

Keeping things steadily consistent here, with nothing truly wild to report. 

50-60M weeks, usually with one or both of the grass tracks used for a short speed session and then a 2 x 2M tempo later in the week. Have really enjoyed a spot of running in circles (not circles). 

Bourton Hilly Half last Sunday. It acted as the Glos half marathon championship, but is certainly not a fast course. The route had changed yet again, with the opening and closing half miles within a nature reserve. 

Being Fathers’ Day, really nice that a kids fun run was put in fifteen minutes after the main race began. Proud of my six year old to run ahead of mum and younger son, and she seemed to enjoy pushing herself a little - certainly the first time she has shown this. 

The first of two big climbs began only 1.5M into the main race, with 300ft gained in about a mile or so. Some undulating and some flat then around the beautiful Sherborne National Trust area, before another similar climb. Same ascent but a bit of a steadier grind. 

I was enjoying working with another runner and was sitting in about 14th place. He seemed to pull ahead on the climbs but I would then take him on the descents and flats. 

Really enjoying myself, and the views were great, but probably wasn’t 100% focused after continued limited sleep. 

Down the final very steep before a flat/very gradual climb for the last four miles. Matey pulled ahead a little at this stage, and I lost him in the awkward final mile around some housing. As we entered the nature reserve I saw the family. The kids were keen to hold hands and as there was no one in sight in front or behind, it seemed a great opportunity. Let the 2.5 year old run with us for a few metres, but decided the last 300m would take far too long like this. Let go of his hand and, no word of a lie, he immediately fell into a dried cow pat and burst into tears 😆. Up the final track and across the finish line hand in hand with the six year old - a great moment to cherish 😊

Probably would have run 1:26 flat, but came in 90s slower than that. Pleased with that for 900 ft ascent and a field to start and finish with. A really fun morning with the family. 

Slow recovery running in the days after, before an attempt at a track session yesterday afternoon. Didn’t really pick my moment with the heat, and thoughts of some mad 6 x 1M rapidly dwindled! 

1600 (6:01) 90s static recovery 

1200 (4:36)

800 (3:07)

400 (1:27)

2 x 200 (43)

2 x 100

Pretty cooked!

Had an entry for tomorrow’s LFotM 5k but rail strikes stop play. Nothing majorly on the agenda, but hope to drop into a mile race and some track stuff in July. 

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff SQ! Only a bit slower on a hilly course sounds promising! Nice morning too by the sounds of it..Sounding more promising now Bus!

Race mementos can be quite useful sometimes, most of them are just a bit of junk after a while. You need to up at IK's level to get some reasonable prises. I think he got £2k for 3rd, £600 for first Englishman and £400 for sub 65 at Reading half one year. Beer on you after!!

Right palaver yesterday for the 1500m in Eastern Masters at Cambridge last night..got the train to MK, had to walk 2 miles to their athletics track to meet the missus who was helping at the MK schools athletics. So didn't get there until 7.20 for a 7.55 race. Anyhow, 7-8 mins jog then a few sprints.

Race was luckily quite leisurely at the start. My mate Rob lead out and we went round 400 in 71, 800 in 2.23 an then upped it a little for a 3.13 at the bell, Rob moved ahead then for the win, I came across in 4.23 which wasn't too bad considering the slow start. Just need to take 8 seconds off for my desired time at Watford next week.
  • Nice outing on a hilly run SQ. Did you get photo or video evidence of the cow pat incident? Our kids are now grown up and such items are useful for weddings, 21st birthday parties etc. 

SC, the steps taken by Reading to reward UK runners seemed to be short-lived. I looked today and couldn't see any such for 2022 or 2023. 

Got back onto the track today for my second session of the year (first was early May). Pulled a singlet out of a drawer as it was humid and a t-shirt would be too much and I am not one for bare chest. It was only during the warm-up that I noticed it was a Dashers top so easy to identify if some jobsworth started to fuss about running on the track without paying. I took solace thinking the finger of blame would fall on SG until I took it off at the end and saw PHILIP in bold print above Dashers.  

The session was OK, 6x800m trying to keep under 7 minutes per mile pace so really current 5k pace. I feel I have plateaued at parkrun just by turning up and running 5k and I need to get more miles in at a somewhat fast pace (for me) to see any further improvements. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I don't miss that whole "risk" factor with the track.

P's post reminds me of a farcical last time I got into some shenanigans with an overzealous misery of a local coach.
    Mad Dom was already on there, and I got on. I clocked the coach chatting to him in a stern fashion, so I started doing "strides" to be 200m away from him each time.

He'd walk over forcefully, then I'd "stride" off to the other half of the track, with headphones in :D 

Kept that going for 3 or 4 before realising it might be hard work to get a session off for 20-30mins :)

Eventually turned round and gave a "Oh sorry, were you saying something I had headphones in", after the 3rd or 4th "i'll call dem rozz" type threats :D 

He started stern, "trespassing", "call the rozz", "I've told you about this before" type sentimonies. He eased down when I acted all polite, and pointed out he had most certainly not told me this before.
    (Thinking, unless he's meaning another track about 8 years back, then possibly ;) )

Eventually as he'd graciously allowed the Dominator 20or so mins, he did the same for me.

I was wearing an old club's vest :D 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    The issue with the track is not actually having a problem paying, but the actual ludicrous difficulty to be able to.
    No-one is there ever anymore, and the last time I took months to track down some gnome from their company, and almost force him to allow me to give £80-90 wad over.

In the end I had to broker it through a pal at Handy Cross running club to turn up when they had a session and the "access guy" was taking payments. 
    Absolute joke really.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps I probably could and should have got this all in 1 post, but nice work Phil. I look forward to some potential races with you later in the summer :)
    Even if you don't necessarily want to go all in again, there's so many options and funto be had from doing races. Even if you pick some MT 10k that has no relation to 10k road pbs/times from the start of this thread etc.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SCoombes2 said:
     You need to up at IK's level to get some reasonable prises. 

What sort of stuff is he prising himself from?  B)
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Good result in the 1500, SC. I enjoy evening races, but not all the palaver and waiting that comes with them. Never mind being too pumped to sleep until late. Good luck for Watford. 

Thanks, PMJ. Sadly no photo - but an excellent idea to create an ‘embarrassing photos for 20 years time’ folder! Good effort at the track. What kind of rest were the 800s off? 

I dislike how hard we in this country make it to run on tracks. I remember coaching a rugby match in Singapore at a small community stadium that had a track around the pitch. By about 6pm, the track was rammed with people - almost all jogging very slowly and wondering on for free. Wonderful to see. I have enjoyed the (bumpy, overgrown) free to access grass track near me for that reason. 

Standard 5am buggy recovery this morning. 4M at 9:40s, including popping into Tesco - I mean not having coffee in the house when people wake at that time is clearly unacceptable. Then met a friend after work for 5M recovery around the river and racecourse at 8:45 pace. HUMID. 

• Sorequads said:

Thanks, PMJ. Sadly no photo - but an excellent idea to create an ‘embarrassing photos for 20 years time’ folder! Good effort at the track. What kind of rest were the 800s off? 

I dislike how hard we in this country make it to run on tracks. I remember coaching a rugby match in Singapore at a small community stadium that had a track around the pitch. By about 6pm, the track was rammed with people - almost all jogging very slowly and wondering on for free. Wonderful to see. I have enjoyed the (bumpy, overgrown) free to access grass track near me for that reason. 

800s were off 400m jog, so it looks like they started out at 1:45 and drifted out to 2:30 by the last rep but good progression, each longer than the one before ;). I have never been overly strict on recoveries: I trained for years with a middle-distance group and it was all about getting a good effort in and recovering fully. For me, the aim is to get the stride length up, my cadence never changes so it is about leaving the ground properly rather than skimming just above it.

Agree with the track: I have been lucky enough to travel most of the world with my work and have trained on tracks in the US, Japan, South Africa, and many European cities and never paid a fee and always been welcomed by others. The only counterexample was when I ran on a track in Sarov: Wikipedia says "The town is closed as it is the Russian center for nuclear research." so I guess that is justification. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    At least you're measuring the rep paces. I see some on strava just quoting the session, without any indication they've even taken them!
  • Stevie G said:
    At least you're measuring the rep paces. I see some on strava just quoting the session, without any indication they've even taken them!
    If you are training solo then you really have to hit the buttons on your watch and time yourself. If you are in a group with a coach then they set and time the session and it is easier to get into the zone if you don't fuss with the watch. I guess in these days of "If it isn't on Strava then it didn't happen" but a lot of my old training is on paper as a quoted session "12x400 in xx".
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Went to sleep thinking 8x400m or 0.25m was my morning sesh, but woke up to double check the recoveries, and noticed it should be 6x0.5miles (90secs) instead.

On road as usual, so never going to be track consistency, but not too bad.
    2nd rep mostly grass.
    5th rep was twice slightly hindered by cars/people with buggies, but it happens.

2.45, 2.51, 2.46, 2.44, 2.52, 2.48
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Wonderful image of some nuclear scientists smashing out 400m reps before getting back into action. 

Have seen that too, SG. I suppose sometimes you can click into 'analyse workout' and see them for yourself. 

Saw a post last night that suggested the aforementioned community grass track near my home was going, so thought I would try to squeeze one last early session in this morning. Upon arrival, I could clearly see the football pitches marked up again, although could just about make out the remnants of the track. Sad to see it go - I guess football wins in the popularity stakes. 

Another 2 x 2M tempo with 400 jog. Slower than previous weeks, I guess a result of the track session and weights only 36 hours ago. 6:28, 21then 6:25, 20. Effort in the right ball park. Nice morning with 15C and some cloud cover. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    If you are training solo then you really have to hit the buttons on your watch and time yourself. If you are in a group with a coach then they set and time the session and it is easier to get into the zone if you don't fuss with the watch. I guess in these days of "If it isn't on Strava then it didn't happen" but a lot of my old training is on paper as a quoted session "12x400 in xx".
    One our mutual pals did a 12x400 (no need for you to name them!) the other day yet the total session mileage was something like 2.68miles.
    Not sure what happened there.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Well would you credit it? I did 12 x 400 last night, not amazing after Wednesday, off 60 secs recovery. Did it over the road and fought off the dog walkers and zombies walking around the inside of the track.

I mean the bloody track is in the middle of a few acres of grass and these idiots are glued to walking around a circle of concrete. Idiots.

Averaged 72's pretty hard though.

SG - Its bad enough typing, let alone the right spelling!
    SQ- Yes praying Watford is calm next week, not bothered if it's a bit chilly. Hopefully can see out V45 with a decent time..

No surprise that tracks are cheaper elsewhere. We must have to be fleeced for everything apparently being British. It's the rules.