Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Best of luck with the taper week OO, keeping the handbrake on for this race sounds a good plan.

TR.. that's a decent MLR the day after a race, I always thought running commutes were a good way to get a longish run in.

I will try to return to something like normal mileage this week, I need a confidence boost for the Endure event which is 2nd/3rd July.  I have a 5m club race on Thursday and plan to do Parkrun on Saturday which I guess will show me where I am with recovery and any pace lost.
    A 5m run in the sun today, I'm quite enjoying these temps.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm hating these temperatures, and the ominous 'very high' pollen forecast.  Today is particularly bad: achy chest and sore eyes.  Still, it's dropping to high on Friday and medium on Saturday, so that's something to look forward to.  6 miles steady plodded.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sorry that our glorious British summer is causing you a bit of grief Jools.  The weekend does look like a bit of a respite!

Decided to give my running muscles a rest today on a hot & sultry day.  Nice cycling conditions though so got out for an enjoyable 45m around the country lanes.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Conditions better for you the weekend Jools.
    A 45m cycle takes some doing, nice one Wardi.  Thanks, should be a pleasant novelty to run a marathon at an easier pace.

Carbo-loading, best part of the marathon taper. All those extra forbidden carbs. Conditions look good for Saturdays race, around 15C and sunny with a hint of a light shower. I'll take that. Seems around 170 taken part and probably similar numbers for the half and 10K so should feel like an event.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sounds ideal OO. Enjoy yourself.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Sounds a good weather forecast OO

Hopefully the change in weather will help you at the weekend joolska

Top weather for cycling wardi

6m in yday, 10m home tonight
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good commuting runs TR, I guess it was it a bit hot like here today?

OO.. hope you are enjoying the wind down,  looks like similar temp drops here at the weekend.  15 degrees is almost ideal running weather for me.

Got back to running again today with a 7.5m + 4m double.  Very warm but I always reckon that you need to get out in it to acclimatise to it.  Lovely blue sky so thought I would enjoy it while it lasts.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Good running Wardi & TR, bit sapping this heat! Thanks Jooligan. 

Short run and cycle today so that's it now until Saturday. Going to try SIS beta gels, as pack 40g rather than 25g of cards, just will use 1 of these and 3 * 25g SIS gels. Apart from that normal taper, no caffeine for the past few days and caring. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - agreed, you need to get the acclimatisation in. I only get out in the warmth on the run home, im jsppy ti be out in the warmth for commutes as those anes can be -5 in the winter.

Hope it goes well OO

8m in this morning.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    5m club race tonight, first time I've tried to run at any speed for nearly 4 weeks.  A bit rusty but managed 7.42 pace on a warm evening.  No discomfort at all which was more important.  Hopefully I can build the miles up from here.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good news wardi, 15 wks to go, so plenty of time.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Cheers TR.
    That's decent on your return to speed Wardi.

Slept well in the hotel, dressed, fed and watered and nearly ready to head off to the start for 9.30. Rained quite a lot here yesterday, though sunny so far today, so will run in my trail shoes.  Forecast looks good 16C with some rain showers. Just water on the course so 4 gels with me.

My older son is with me, he was considering the 10k but going to hike the course instead as he is doing a big walk around the Alps next month.

Have broken my 4 number two rule already, perhaps that curry with some of my family in Wales not the best idea but probably OK with a biryani. One of my brothers mates is running (a 2.50 marathoner) and going for the win, so the revised plan is follow him around and maybe overtake him in the last climb which is from 39 to 42K, just when you need them! As with all marathons, we will see, looking forward to the run. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Best of luck OO, just as well the race isn't tomorrow looking at the wind forecast!
    Just off to Parkrun for a controlled blast.  24m on the bike yesterday.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    22.37 at the Parkrun which is about 50 seconds quicker than my first post injury run a couple of weeks ago.  Still some work to do but I do seem to be heading in the right direction.  Made it up to 10m for the day with add ons.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope you had a good day OO

Wardi, good news

10m home yday evening. 16m today, was hoping to push on in 2nd 8m but legs were aching and didnt want to know. Time to start building the long run distance now.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Thanks. Came 2nd in 3.21 with 1,000m+ of elevation. Broke my record of 7 pre race toilet visits. A very scenic course through a number of different forests. No chance with the winner who finished in 3.04. Basically, at mile 1 was in 7th  the winner just ran off and over the next 12 miles picked off the guys in front, and ran solo to the end. Very technical and slippy in part, but mostly very runnable wide trails  with some stiff climbs. When 2nd just took it relatively easy with 3rd finishing In 3.29. Won a very nice slate plate reflecting the mining heritage of the area and great that my older son, brother and sister were at the finish. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bravo OO, that's a great run (and position!) on a hilly course, nice local prize too. Impressed with the pre race loo visits, can't be too careful. 🙂

TR.. good miles in the bag.  I do sometimes find 2 double digit runs in succession finds me out.  

We had 18m winds this morning from 1m-2m, hope you escaped that OO.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Good to see the mileage increasing TR. 
    Thanks Wardi, yes we had the wind which was very cooling but luckily protected from the worse of it by the forest, not so lucky with the occasional downpour.
  • Hello all,

Congrats OO, that's a very solid performance but you certainly put in the vertical training for that one. You could be on to something!
    TR - since becoming v55 you seem to be cleaning up the prizes. make the most of it.

Good to see others eyeing up their autumn marathons and generally moving well.

I'm back running (I think) having managed 7 runs in a row without issue. I'm running no more frequently than every other day and have done 10 miles and 15 miles in consecutive weeks. It sounds pathetic but I'm chuffed. Managing to get my stretching in on the off days which is important.

Life wise I'm now married. Had an excellent honeymoon in St Lucia. It was a wellness resort so there was a chance to do beach fit, aquafit, foam rolling and all that jazz. We can't have been more than a minute into "stretching for runners" before the instructor told me "we need to talk". Basically the same gist as my physio telling me I'm as tight as it gets and 3-6 months of stretching is what I need to sort me out. well who's got the patience for that?! I zoned out after that and got nothing from it, woops!

Plans? Basically none. There's no point at this stage since I could feasibly break down the next time I run. Try to build up some mileage and carry on stretching and strengthening. Will hopefully shed the 6 pounds additional weight along the way. Work in some bike if I have to. Probably going to keep it short although my very local half marathon is mid August so if I was in a position to I'd give that a crack. Just to see where I'm at I did parkrun this morning and carried a very high HR round for a 19:59. Pre injury I'd got myself to around 17:40. Funny how sometimes you don't realise quite how fit you are until that fitness goes. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Glad to see Wardi back parkrunning.

Congratulations on the wedding, Joe, and nice to see you back running again.  After so much time off, I can well believe that 15mpw feels like an achievement: celebrate!   (And then, by the sounds of it, stretch ;))

12 steady for me this morning.  A little bit breezy, but otherwise a nice day to be out and about.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Joe .. firstly congrats on the nuptials & sounds like a lovely honeymoon.  After your long lay off the pace & weight gain was inevitable I suppose but should sort itself in time with consistent training.  Sub 20 5k is a start!

Thanks Jools, and good to see you doing MLR's again.

I think 2 races in 3 days found me out as this morning's 5m was a very tired affair, a strong wind (again) didn't help!  Planning to watch the last night of Glasto tonight with a curry & a few beers.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a sttong run OO, well done on the podium placing. How are your legs now?

Joe - double congrats then. Good to see you've started running again.

Wardi - im with you on the tired legs. I need to give the long run a bit more respect nowadays. Was windy here today, good job i wasnt running laps of goodwood today.

Well done on the 12 jools, is that yr longest run in a while?

Turbo day for me. I missed last sunday as i was racing, and am racing next sunday.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Joe - That's fantastic news on both counts, many congratulations. Nice easy running is the way to go. The fitness will quickly return. 
    Wardi - A decent racing weekend though, enjoy the dream ticket combo.
    Joolska - Good return to double digit runs.
    TR - Hamstrings very tight and sore not helped by 12 hours of driving between 10 am on Friday and 7 pm on Saturday. But otherwise OK I think. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - driving will not have helped.

5m easy commute back in today. Didnt want to run a double last week, so the bike was at the wrong end. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    After an easy run yesterday I'm going to try and up the miles a bit now.  5m done early doors, 7m planned with the club later.  Still a strong wind blowing up here.
    I did manage to pick up another 'cheap' pair of my favoured NB Fuel Cell TC recently (£108 vs £180).  My current pair are just starting to decline so nice to have 2 pairs in reserve!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Nice bargain spotting - only runners can say that after spending £100+ on a pair of running shoes. 
    February has returned to Cornwall - luckily still recovering, so just a swim - in a heated pool not the sea. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good stuff wardi. I like to keep the cost of daily mileage shoes under 80, but that is a good price for a plated shoe.

OO - good job you added the bit about the pool.

12m commute home.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Joe - congrats on getting married. Also super pleased to read you have been able to do some running and a sub 20 parkrun is a decent effort after a long layoff. As others, nice and easy and enjoy being able to run, however slowly, for however far. 

OO - sorry didn't pop in to wish you well at the weekend. Super impressive result especially given the pre race record! I draw the line at curries the night before a long run so fair play for having one the night before a race. Set you up nicely for the A race. 

Wardi - great to read you too are feeling better and no issues from some recent faster running. Impressive bargain hunting. I recently picked up a pair of 1080s and Saucony Rides for £150 which I was cock a hoop with ! The 1080s btw have quickly become my daily atm. Feel so good running slowly or up on your toes. The wider toe area also giving my bruised toes a break. I have to tie the laces carefully and they run a little loose at the heel on me. 

Jools - hopefully the weather change has helped with the hayfever. Noted a 12 miler which is great to see. 

TR - some solid double digit runs recently. What is the next race this weekend? 

Holidays are supposed to be relaxing aren't they? Came home at the weekend completely shattered. Those infamous seagulls in St Ives have a deserved reputation for stealing tourists food but they are also noisy buggers. Our fisherman's cottage was just off the main harbour street and as such we had rooftops full of nesting gulls. They settled down around midnight and woke again at 3am. I basically slept during those quiet hours each night. 

Combine that with being out and about each day, driving a fair amount getting to and from Cornwall and you have a recipe for a very tired SJ. Ergo, I ran twice whilst away. Once on the superb coastal path towards Zennor and once on one of the beaches in St Ives.

Could not ask for better weather. It started raining as we left on our last day.

Lots of time on feet but a down week in running terms. Back to it this week. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - im sure the break will have done you some good despite the seagulls.....they nest on the roofs of the buildings where i work, they get very aggressive and attack when i run past......i like 1080s but are hard to find for my target £80, they are a but nippier than pegs or rides, i used them for my trail 5 miler, but pegs are still the most hard wearing out of them, rides and 1080s plus you can get the for 60 to 70 at times.....1/2 is CV style Goodwood  affair, only 20min away and did the same race on the same weekend last yr, so its a goid benchmark if its similar weather (last yr was hot and humid, with lightish winds).
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    SJ - As I could see the winner in the distance I was thinking if only SJ had wished me well, I would chase this guy down!!  :D Glad you had good weather and a good time in St Ives, its a bloody long way even for me from here.
    TR - Good luck for Sunday, sounds ideal being on your doorstep relatively. 

After 3 days of no running, a gentle 4 miler on grass just now.  Felt good, seems like no twinges from Saturdays marathon.  Some further easy running for the rest of the week and might try a gentle 10m on Sunday.  Listened to Robbie Simpson who came 2nd in 2021 in the OCC, on a podcast yesterday, 2 main takeaways lots of vertical running in training, which you would guess but also train as if running a road marathon so a reasonable amount of faster stuff in the training plan. So will continue with lots of easy climbing but will now enter 2 * trail half marathons, 11 and 18 days out from my race, so there is some pep in my legs.