Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Badbark, glad you are fully operational now and back to doing what you love.

Solid session, gdawg. 

Oo, looks you you cleaned up pretty well on the track, great work. 

Tr, sounds very positive and congrats on the 1st v50. Any prize to report? 

I've ticked over, still building up. Easy 13m Sunday then a session in the mid afternoon heat on Tuesday of 6 x 800m then 8 x 400m. Was tough going. Easy 9m last night then spin tonight. Out early ish tomorrow for 3 x 2m as I have a pretty boozy work event from midday, the annual sportsman's lunch event at local rugby club. 

Managed to grab some alphafly v2 this week which were delivered today. Had a quick try on and walk around kitchen. Undecided on them, mainly because they are a much snugger fit than v1 at same size and feel much firmer and rigid. 

About to book Boston, just finalising childcare. Got a hotel in Quincy right next to Central subway line. 

Tokyo released details today of their 2023 entry info. I noted that their version of good for age has not only dropped from 2.45 to 2.32 but is limited to 50 overseas runners. A hole in my plan to sub 2.45 in Berlin to get into Tokyo. That really does limit entry to ballot, charity or sport tour company. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Well done on the medal haul OO

Dawg - good confidence booster that, i couldnt do that session. My commute runs are far too lumpy in places to hold paces anyway.

DT - good to see you getting ready to build up again. You did really well in the Spring off that hammy, so hopefully can go eve better in Sept........i received a trophy for the trail race, also dipped in Sunday with a rare m55 category win at a hilly 10k (although it was Hants league to be fair), no trophies or participation medals to make it ecologically friendly, but won a mini hamper which the spo was most pleased with (i gave it to her, good brownie points)......ran strongly with no issues, hopefully i can crack on to lonfon and salvage 2022 now. 1/2 mara fitness test in 10 days.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are in a good place, TR, well done on the further AG win. 

Oo, are you coming in too share your weekend parkrun? 

Session Friday morning of 3 x 2 m off 2 min. They all came out at roughly 12 mins give or take a second or two but pleasingly the last 2m set was the most consistently paced over the 2m. 

Had to be out early ish as had a pretty boozy work event from midday. Consequently yesterday was a rest day. Easy 15m today was quite enjoyable at 7.39mm. Not where I was this time last year in terms of hr v pace, looking at 15m runs I did late June then. 

In other news, I found out this week one of the lads (who's annoyingly private) was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in February. He had a turn last Saturday and can no longer hide/ignore it. He's a year younger than me and both kids identical age and friends with mine. It's hit pretty hard as, as a rugby fan I've followed doddie weir and Rob burrows last few years and I'm very clear what awaits this next 3 years. I could smack him one for keeping it so secret for 4 months! 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    My mum's best friend had MND.  She got 3 years almost exactly to the day of diagnosis - it's pretty much 8 years to the day that she passed away.  I'm sure your friend has been pointed in the direction of his local MNDA branch, but I really can't sing their praises enough (certainly the one local to my mum's friend, anyway).  If your friend waits for his overstretched local authority adult social services' department to obtain equipment, he could be waiting a long time.  The chances are his local branch will have it.  And they can help with things like recording your voice before it changes too much so that if you choose to choose a machine to communicate in the future, it sounds like you, and not some random American.  They have carers' groups, too, which I know partners find invaluable.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your mate, DT. That news must have been quite a blow. 

OO, about that parkrun...

Had a decent week last week with 54 miles collected in campaign week 2.
    Bagged 14 in a double on Thursday with 7 before work and 7 in the evening at the track where the main session was 8 x 800m at 3.00 mins per rep off 2 mins recoveries. slowest was 3.02 and the final one was 2.59. Happy with that, shows some progress but work to do.

16 miles in the Surrey Hills on Saturday was good fun, 1800ft of up was a good workout for the glutes.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - im in a similar place to you in not being where i was at the same point last yr......sorry to hear about your mate. Its a very cruel disease. Im sure your mate was trying to come to terms with it all. Very tough news to deal with.

Dawg - good pace for those 800s, that bodes well. As ever endurance/strength will be what you need.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks chaps, it's been an almost surreal 5 days trying to adapt to the idea of someone very soon not being on the scene.

Jools, thanks for that, I've made contact with them but they need to hear from my mate direct. I need to find the right time to push it. My concern is he isn't in the mindframe of pure acceptance to meet head on the inevitable and won't pursue it. 

Good week there gdawg and dome fine reps. 

I'm hoping it'll come back quickly as the sessions and miles start returning to normal and the few lb extra drops away. 

5m recovery lunchtime then spin tonight. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your pal DT that's so sad- he's gonna need all his friends now 😪
    Love a track session GDawg. 200s and 300s my favourite.
    Yes strange week last week. Had a wisdom tooth out on Monday which was traumatic and has left me in pain since then. Found it hard to eat but could train OK though it was a cut back week. Then on Saturday morning I ran Keswick parkrun. I've held the V55 course record twice but every time I go back a random tourist has taken it off me. The target was 17:41 this time, and I ran 17:40 which matches my all time parkrun PB. Honestly don't know where that came from. Recent track stuff probably helped, and the easy week and slight weight loss may have helped too. I ran a 5:22 last mile chasing down a guy pushing a buggy- just couldn't let that happen 😆
    I've not looked at my VLM plan yet- has anyone started in anger yet?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I'm in week 3 of the VLM plan, OO, well, I will be when I run today after yesterday's rest. I have two zero mile weeks coming up due to holiday, any miles I do bag will be a bonus. Not too worried, this VLM feels like a free hit after what should be a secured GFA (from Manchester) for 2023.

I also got my parkrun PB by chasing down a bloke with a buggy!  :D
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Kicked off the week with a lunchtime 10. Two progressive 5 milers going from 7.1x to 6.3x. Big headwinds and GPS black spots denied me a couple of splits, missing by just a couple of seconds but the 6.24 finish split was a nice little bonus.

Hard work on the sub-7 splits due to the wind and the big hills still in my legs from Saturday but a 6.57 average for the session was pleasing as I had to work hard for it.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dawg - going well

OO - impressive 5k pace, boosted by the benefits oof getting involved in a race......im up to a long run of 16m and mlr of 12m. I have a benchmark 1/2 this weekend, and hope to push on in anger from the follwing weekend (12 wks out).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I haven't managed  a 16 iler for a while TR but that's probs where I'd like to be. I've plenty of shorter stuff over the next few weeks so it might be about 3 weeks until I get it done. 215 miles for June though which is my highest since March and pre-Boston.My swimming unfortunately has fallen of a cliff lately. I let my pool membership lapse in a cost cutting frenzy and now just pay per session which at best is twice a week. 
    Sounds like a horrible sesh G Dawg 🤢
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice June total, OO. I scored 208 miles, my biggest June ever. 15 miles on a double day yesterday helped with 8 easy in the morning and 7 accumulated (inc warm up) at the track with a pyramid session.

A 16 tomorrow and a 5 mile recovery on Sunday should score me 53 for the week. Good numbers for me on campaign week 3.

Work and family holiday means a cliff edge drop in miles during July but maybe that will help with recovery and I can kick-on after that.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Going well Dawg, those are big double days for a low mileage fella, good that you cope well.

OO - you're a retired dude, so can get a long run in on a school day. Ive a midweek 10k soon but I'll still do a long run on the weekends.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    7 miles including 12 sets of strides today.  Looks like I caught the best of the weather.  The heavy rain has helped us discover that one of the velux windows now leaks.  Sigh.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Same weekend last yr i did 1.22.09 at Goodwood on probably a breezier day than today. And ended up with 2.54.33 at vlm, so double pkus 10min 15sec. Didnt think id be in that shape after recent lurgies, but had done a few short races which i figured would have done me good.
    Started with a few 6.25s so 1.24 pace, built into it and ran strongly (probably had a little bit in reserve too - but wanted to run strong and not tail off if i felt woozy). Got a sniff of a possible 1.23 but ended up finishing strong with 1.22.19, which was a nice surprise, only a bit of breeze each lap though. Horrible lonely affair as only 150 in the 1/2 and i was 6th, although there were 5k and 10k folks to weave through. 2022 running fortunes are starting to improve after being ruined by illness and niggles earlier in the year.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Tr, that's a great outcome today, particularly as you held back early on. Bodes very well for London with 13 weeks still to go.

Some good training last week, gdawg. I like to get out for a few miles every other day whilst away. For one it leaves me feeling less bloated from over indulgence plus I find if I have a week or so off completely it takes me a good week to gey my rhythm again. Ticking over with a few easy runs saves that and means I can get home and get back on it. 

I've a week in Portugal mid August, just as I should be in peak cycle. I'm mildly frustrated by it but will enjoy it all the same. 

Hope there was no significant water damage, jools? 

I've had a reasonable week aside from being busy with work. A 10m mlr, 8 x 1k on Tuesday and a 6m tempo Friday with mile 1 at hmp- 4 @ tempo/mp then 1 at hmp. It was the local beer festival this weekend and I could only go Thursday night. I didnt drink that much but felt awful Friday, must be the high wheat or hop levels of ales that I'm just not used to. Consequently my tempo was an utter punishment. Missed att the prescribed pace ranges by a few seconds, except the first mile at 5.52 and felt sick the whole way. 

Today was a mixed pace long with 7m easy, which felt really nice in a cooler than it's been morning then 2 x 3m at mp off 1m easy then a 1m cd. Reps averaged 6.19 then 6.18.

49m for week and 3 very full on spin classes. 

I'm going to have a parkrun smash next Saturday, just to meet my mate and too hopefully open things up a bit. I'm thinking I'm currently maybe in low 18s shape so 5.50mm pace would be a good shout. 

Just 12 weeks today now to Berlin, starting to feel relatively close, given I've been trying to run it since 2017. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great running TR you must be pleased with that performance especially the 2nd half. I haven't done a half that quick for many years.
    Good luck with the parkrun blast DT. I ran 18:09 yesterday. Tomorrow is a track 3000m for me. Will be looking to get close to 10 mins. Then Tuesday a 5 mile race where the target is sub 29:30 and 1st V55 🤞
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Quiet on here!

I've ticked over this week. Did 16 x 400m on Tuesday. Started steady at about 5.40 pace then progressed it second half. 

Felt fitter than I have in a while last few days, coinciding with reasonable temps! Looking forward to getting parkrun done. That'll give me a decent idea of fitness before a 10k in 13 days. 

How did races go, oo? 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Is it a solo parkrun DT or have you got someone to pace you. I'm at a local music festival tonight so not sure what shape I'll be in for parkrun 🤔

I ran a 5 mile PB on Tuesday at a fast  local race where conditions were perfect. Its a funny distance which I've only raced half a dozen times but really suits me. 28:55 averaging 5:47 pace. No more races for a couple of weeks but might get in my 1st 16 miler for a long time this weekend.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - the parkrun will give you a shape indicators, if its a decent course.

OO - thats a sharp 5m, puts you right around 36min for 10k, which is a nice place to be.

Few easy days here after sundays 1/2. Was a bit creaky on ydays 10x3min, hope to go longish tomorrow. Got a midweek 10k myself next week, then really need to get the marathon training going.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Absolutely amazing, oo. That 5m puts you about 8th in v55 rankings. Repeat that after January and you'll be top couple. 

Hope you got the long in today, TR? I've 15 tomorrow, looks set to be warm next 10 days at least. 

Parkrun exceeded expectation today, was anticipating low 18s. Went out quicker than planned as slightly downhill start and there were 2 other lads spinning off with me then after about 100m another bloke stormed passed who looked so poorly kitted it was difficult to tell if he was just going off too fast or a very good runner just out for a jog. He died off very suddenly though at 0.5m and I found myself in unfamiliar territory in the lead. By the end of mile 1 I was a good 30s ahead. Not being chased or under threat made it harder to really dig in as from mile 2 my objective was to not do anything to jeopardise the win ie blowing up, so was less focused on chasing a time.

Somewhat pleasingly I came in 17.53 so 3s off pb and a winning margin of 72s. Another box ticked there in winning a parkrun. I think had 2nd place been closer to me I'd have dug in harder and pb'd. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one DT, shows you are in good shape, you are capable of plenty quicker. Should go well  in yr 10k.

5.5m easy, 10m steady(approx mp+10%), 4.5m easy. Coped pretty well with the jump up to 20m. But took 2 gels and a litre of fluid, which helped.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    TR you are up to 20 already 😳. Like DT I need to pull my finger out for marathon.
    That's fantastic DT. Those parkruns are so rare when you end up at the front all alone at a loss of how to pace it. And a fab time, sub 18 with limited 5k experience is impressive- you might have a future at this short stuff 😉
    I didn't quite make sub 18 but had a great parkrun racing young lads from my club. Official time was 18:00 which only got me 5th. Quite pleased with that after 3 races this week. Will try for 16 today for a 55 mile week but nursing a niggle with my foot, so will cut it short if it hurts.
    Here's a sweaty picture from today's tropical parkrun
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    My first 20 is last weekend of July. That leaves plenty of time to get a reasonable number in, though I'm not too concerned having already run two maras this year, don't feel like I need to make sure I get 5 or 6 x 20m plus in. 

Oo, solid going. Looking pretty sleek in that pic. I'm still holding my holiday weight, seems to take my body a while to decent to engage weight loss mode, then it just drops of for fun. 

There was a moment yesterday when I almost stopped to look around to see what was going on! 

Tr, sounds like a decent move to 20 what with the 10m steady in there. Don't you do a couple of easy 20s first before throwing in the paces?

Out at 8.45 gor 15m. Felt surprisingly good and just clipped along, ended up 7.33mm for low end hr. Was pretty warm by about 11m in. Glad it was done and dusted early ish. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I did just under 17 with friends. Picked it up the last few for 8:58 average pace and 56 for the week.Very slow I know but taking care of those old bones 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good going OO, looks a nice place to parkrun with a decent surface. I like the orange singlet too.

DT - you're defo in a good place long run wise hsving done those 2 spring maras, i was easing off after 3m of my spring mara and had stopped by 1/2 way.......
    Id normally do an easy 20 or 2 first, but figured id do the 10m section in the midfle on the flatter lanes, once id run the big hill early on in the wd then the last couple of miles were downhill and then flat.......last wks 1.22 bodes well for me, if i get the marathon nuts and bolts of long and medium runs done.

I walked with my wife and the doggy this morning, so did an afternoon turbo session in the garage which came with a built in sauna. Hopefully my body remembers that when im doing my 10k wednesday evening.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice work, oo. 

Tr, I'll be glad of the spin studio tomorrow. Fair enough, makes sense. 

It looks set to remain warm into the evenings. Even looking forwards a week Wednesday it's forecast as 23c at 7pm.  The current forecast for next weekend looks grim for a runner. 

I guess though you tolerate it and come out the other end having just got on with training and the gains are there for you. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A busy work week with lots of travel (3 days in Exeter before Covid got the better of some) and then Friday in Plymouth, so only ran on Thursday, yesterday and today.  It's far too warm for my liking!

Nice parkrunning, DT.  You're clearly in great shape already, which bodes well for your marathon campaign.  Great work getting out at all, OO.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, jools.

12 x 1k and half effort over lunchtime off 45s jog. Had to modify a bit second half as was overheating so ran them in pairs and had a couple of mins rest after reps 6, 8 and 10, just to get it done safely. Reps averaged circa 6mm so  reasonable enough in the temps with what is a pretty high volume session. Covered 12m with wu and cd. 

12m mlr tomorrow first thing.