P&D Autumn Marathon 2022

Comments

• NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Great racing you three.   I rested Sunday. 7m @ 70%HR Monday and about to do a 5m road race at Parc Bryn Bach. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - oooh nice, id like that more than counting parkruns. How many have you been too.

NE - good man. You'll either have a bad day and be inspired to do more, or go well and be inspired to do more.

6m eaay today, was a bit achey from Sunday.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    No run yesterday but I did bike 25M dropping the car off for MoT.
    Made up for it today with 13.5M on the undulating Forest trails after picking the car up so good tri-training as I’d biked a baker’s dozen in to work & then a score back. 
    Got pretty cooked helping out at Sport’s Day too.
    The Y9 lad who’s been training with me recently won the 1500 by 100m in 5:04. About 90 minutes later he won the 800m too in 2:21. That was a really close race. He had to produce a final kick with only 20m to go - true grit.
    Hopefully his legs will have recovered enough by Thursday for a 19:xx 5K. He’s clearly got the speed.
    Hope GLCL went well NE
    5:04 sounds pretty hot for Y9!

I really enjoyed the “GLCL” league race tonight. Not a great time but not bad. One lap of golf course, one of the lake then round the golf course again. 5.2m with a 180ft climb on each of the golf course loops.  Really nice scenery. 

I paced myself pretty well- steady up the hill x2, and measured but determined on the downs anf flats and I overtook quite a number on the last loop - including at least half a dozen on the last 150m sprint to the line. 40:50  - at 7:51/mile an almost identical pace to that I achieved for ten miles on Sunday when I was alone in the rain on trails - but with no climbs. Beforehand, I would have guessed I’d have averaged slightly better tonight but no worries at all. A good work out for a top 200 finish (ie I came 200th 😁) out of 427 starters. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, none! I do sometimes visit restaurants with Colin (my Manchester friend) but he has Crohns and can't tolerate spicy food, so curry is definitely out. We went to a sushi place this time that promised robot waiters...although that proved to be a bit of an exaggeration. The robots were essentially like a hostess trolley crossed with a Roomba, and they only shuttled the food from the kitchen to a stand, and a human waiter brought it from there to the table. Food was also very slow to arrive and middling in quality, though I still enjoyed it.

That's a fast lad, Jools!

Nice work, NE. When it comes to club-heavy races, I'm always near the bottom. :(

I had a 6 mile plod yesterday - felt sluggish and wheezy (the latter was probably not helped by having spent the weekend with a smoker). Woke up early today and went out around 5:20am for a 10 miler. Started a bit wheezy for that too but threw in some hills and faster bits which seemed to give my lungs a good clear out and I felt better by the end of it. The downside was grumpy achilles and hamstring...both had been OK at the weekend. I'll have to keep an eye on 'em.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good mix pf training there jools

Well done NE, sounds positive

Cal - thats s shame, would be good to try a few of those restaurants.

10m home for me last night, 8m back again today.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Sounds decent enough on a warm night NE. I expect that LR was still in the legs too.
    Another couple of days biking 7M each way & running once.
    13.5M of MT plodding last night & a progressive 5K on the track at lunchtime with the youngster today. Fortunately for me a primary school had booked the place for a "sports' day". It was one of those participation rather than competition type affairs!
    This meant we got a minimal wu & decided to postpone the TT til next week & do a steady 5K instead. Started sedately enough & ramped up the effort every couple of laps to finish in 21:24. My HR was sky high by the end so I reckon I'd've struggled to knock 90s off that in the conditions: hot & sticky.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Indian isn't my favourite, honestly, TR...It's OK and I've enjoyed a few currys in the past but I will always, always choose Japanese over anything else, followed but other options.
    Jools, my HR his 199 at Dorking 10 (this was wrist...the chest strap tends to rub when it's warm so I don't wear it). I do wonder how high it would have gone if I hadn't taken the walk breaks I did.
    5 miles recovery. Taking a rest day today.
    Nice ones. 
    7m reccie round Coleford on Wednesday (Meadows up Angus Buchanan park wonderful at the moment) . Took me over 2 hours and took a fall. I think that’s only the second proper fall of my adult running life. No damage except the most minor graze to forearm and shin (and pride) - but a reminder that I often don’t take enough precautions in the event of actually hurting myself when alone.  

Last night I led a club run round that 10k route - and unbelievably stumbled at the same location. Not close to a fall - but at least I got to identify the perfectly camouflaged root that must have got me the previous day - and I could kind of understand how I came to fall on what looks like an open, flat bit of Forest track!  Gym this morning. Probably best to have a rest from running today. 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Somerdale Pavilion parkrun today. My 5th new venue of the year. Happy to get 19:39 on a v.twisty grass course. Especially as I biked an hour from Bath to get there after a late night on the 🍏 🍎 juice. 
    Biked on 4M from there to meet a clubmate so we could recce our leg of the Cotswold Way Relay ahead of next Saturday’s race. The leg’s a lumpy trail 15K & then we had to add on another couple of miles to pick up my car so 15M for the day.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh I'd love to do the Curly Wurly! I didn't get to tour today due to the train strike. I was contemplating doing one a few miles from me and running there and back (a repeat of course) but then couldn't be bothered so I just did my local. Very underwhelming time, too. My lack of progress is very deflating.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    NE - i fall over every now and then, shuffling into rootsor raised slab edges.

Jools - a good days efforts

Cal - maybe ease off the distance and effort for a week, you've raced a lot lately.

10m home yday evening. 16m today, was hoping to push on in 2nd 8m but legs were aching and didnt want to know. Time to start building the long run distance now.
    Cal - agree with TR on that. 

TR - thanks. It’s very disconcerting to trip and fall forwards - even though on both occasions I managed to kind of roll with it. . Afterwards, you’re just glad there wasn’t a big rock or something where your head goes. I have since recalled a couple of other sideways slips in cross country races - but the felt much more controlled.  Pretty big miles for you as usual!

Jools… another big day for you!  We’re missing  the Cotswolds relay this year. Hopefully next. 

16m for me tonight.  Actually 16.1m just so I felt I’d gone further than last week!

During the run, I pretty much decided that I should drop the 100 miler (12wks from now). It’s doable looking at the pitiful training mileage  that sufficed last time - but the practicalities of 3 nights away from home are difficult and not really worth it.  I have the fallback of Escape from Meriden in November, so that will have to scratch my ultra itch!

So I think I have just kind of done week 1 of the 18wk P&D for Newport. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've the last Wimbledon Trail race in a week and a half, then an 8 miler on the 17th July. I'll try to keep August free of racing.
    I went out for 14 miles today - my longest run since Manchester Marathon. Haven't felt great this week so when I saw my HR getting a bit high towards the start of the run, I forced myself to try and keep it in the 150s (my standard easy, believe it or not). Which wasn't easy - at that pace, I was barely picking my feet up so almost tripped a couple of times, and oddly, various parts of me felt more sore than I do at a faster pace. Weather wasn't too warm and there was a nice breeze so can't blame that, but I've had a succession of disturbed, sweaty nights and I guess that wears on you after a while.
    Anyway, glad to have that in the can. First 40 mile week in forever, too.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    NE - i agree with you foncussing on Newport rather than 100miler.

Cal - keeping yr HR low for a while has to be a good idea.

Turbo day for me. I missed last sunday as i was racing, and am racing next sunday.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Very wise NE. You might even help keep the thread focused on P&D 😆
    Recce of Leg 1 today so 12.6M & 1500’. Followed that with 20M on the MTB as it was beautiful in the Cotswolds today. Wind was ferocious in places but dodged all but a sprinkling of raindrops. Cracking views to be had.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    More great sounding adventures jools.

Minimal 5m commute run in this morning,, bike was at the wrong end because i didnt want to do any doubles last week.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    NE just had a last minute injury (not me) if you fancy running Stage 6 (Dursley to Wotton) for FoDAC on Saturday
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Scratch that NE. I’ve filled that one but got another space now! Getting my teams filled is an absolute ball ache this year 😣
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Bad luck with the injury, Jools.

I was going to attempt the old P&D classic, 8 miles with 4 miles at threshhold pace, but as I didn't want my heart to explode, I decided to split the 4 miles into two lots of 2 miles with a mile recovery/float in between. Ended up doing 9 miles with 3 miles warm up, 2 miles tempo, 1 mile recovery, 2 miles tempo and a mile to recover and cool down.

I was bang on sub 2 HM pace for the first two mile block but was a bit too fast for the first mile of the second lot then slowed a bit too much for the second one. HR maxed out at 187 during the second block so probably just as well I split it. Still, reasonably happy with that considering it's been a while (tempo really is horrible, isn't it?)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - good starting place with 2 x 2. Have you always had similar HR values?

12m run home tonight.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure as my first two Garmins didn't track HR so I've only been tracking it around 3 years. However, it was about 10bpm lower during Yorkshire Marathon (my sub-4, at the end of 2019) than it was at Manchester this year...though that was a different watch and I was also in much better shape. 
    I only got the chest strap towards the end of last year and don't use it all the time as it can chafe, but I did wear it today. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I can only dream of hitting 187 HR Cal. Good session.
    Track session today 8x600m off 200m jog. Paces were almost 2" slower than 12 days ago when I did 6x600m off 1' walk but I usually notice a significant difference in recovery between a 1' walking & a 1' jog. It was also blowing hard on the back straight & I was flying solo this time.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    HR will be much higher for a jog than a walk, Jools...so yes.

Speaking of, a 5 mile recovery run today, trying to keep HR under 140...not easy as the bugger will climb any time I go up the slightest incline, cross a road or just let my mind wander. Had to resort to ridiculous slow motion running a few times. Honestly I've power walked faster than that.
    A couple of brief stops during the second mile to stroke cats (one tabby, one black and white) - given I was trying to keep HR low, why not?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well you can only compare recent data then cal, and track HR going fwd. What is your RHR upon waking (manual check)?

Jools - sounds like a good workout given the differences.

9m inc 10x3min today,,havnt done a session for a while due to racing instead. The av pace for the 35min workout was the best ive seen for a while, athough there's been a known garmin issue yday and today. But ill take the positives a few days before a benchmark race and tell myself im in better shape. Time will tell. Few easy days now.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well I don't take my HR when I wake up but Garmin measures it during the night - it's around 50 give or take, usually. A bit under at the moment.
    Garmin GPS has been dodgy for a lot of people this week - fortunately mine's been OK. I've a FR55 so that might be why as it's the newest gen.
    8 mile general aerobic. Nice not having to watch HR all the time and just run.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - well all you can do is keep travking yr HR and check for any improvement. My 245 is still playing up.

10m easy home, will aim a bit shorter tomorrow.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Did Royal Tunbridge Wells parkrun today, in order to fill an annoying gap in my parkrun map...20 mins on the tube, 45 mins on the train, then a 1 mile, almost entirely uphill jog to the park. The park is lovely, with lots of flower beds and a large boating lake, though I daresay the perfect weather helped. The course is two laps, starting on hard paths before then going into a grass field (it's about 50-50 path/grass). It was mostly OK but there was a section where it had clearly been muddy and had set so hard and lumpy that it was like running on cobbles and I had to be careful not to roll an ankle. It then returns to the hard path, with an uphill bit which felt very hard on the second lap (though not as bad as Bedgebury Pinetum). They had pacers today and I managed to squeeze ahead of the 29 minute one, though at the expense of kicking my HR into the 190s (watch only...no strap today). After that I was very thankful that the mile jog back to the station was almost entirely downhill.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice morning for a long run. Sunny but with enough of a breeze to make it tolerable. I did 15 miles, up the Wandle Trail to Beddington Park then back along a trail from there (it's very secluded but unfortunately nasty pebbly gravel - you'd hate it) to Mitcham Common, across that, then up to home from there. Right glute, ham and achilles were all quite grumpy, no doubt all stemming from the SI joint on that side (little bugger). Stamina-wise it was fine. I did take gels at 5 and 10 miles which helped (as I run before breakfast).
    Still, pace is not good. It was always intended to be easy pace, but my easy pace is a good 30-40 seconds per mile slower than it was before lockdown. I am still hoping I can get that sorted for Chester but, going by my parkruns, my body seems really determined not to improve.