Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't think there's any break in the hip, just bruising and swelling, I tried to run yesterday but only managed 1 mile or so as it was still painful but will probably try again today. I did manage to win the clubs 10 mile TT last night having replaced the bearings! Did 21:24 without the disc wheel so only 20 seconds off my PB from a couple of weeks ago. That bodes well for the leg. If I can get running again in the next fwe days I can start planning a redemption race.

4:57
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Thanks for the autopsy Reg. Can’t be easy reliving such an expensive disaster, especially as you, justifiably, had such high hopes beforehand. Aftermath of adrenaline will make you weak & sounds like you might have been overheating too hence the loss of focus. Obviously trying to steer without headset bearings isn’t going to have helped! Whatever happened to them?!
    That TT performance is reassuring though - clearly the loss of power was only temporary.
    SG Good luck tonight. Will you be sporting spikes? I’ll say 4:58
    Enjoy the birthday beers Simon.
    Lots of biking this week, car was in the garage for 2 days, & a return to hilly running have trashed my legs despite no running Wednesday.
    Tuesday Track was 8x600m@current 5K pace off 200m jog. Ideally I’d be 5-6s quicker a rep. I was 2s quicker when I walked 100m as recovery.
    Thursday Track was a 5K TT leading out a Y9 lad for his first sub-20. Legs were flat & with a significant headwind on the back straight I knew it’d be touch & go. After 2 laps we were 4-5s adrift but I managed to wind it up a bit to hit the required pace from then on. With 500m to go I ushered him through & he had enough left to pull away gradually finishing in 19:55. I came in 10s behind.
    In the evening I was leading the club social after picking up the car so had to cycle 18M w 1400’ then run 8M w 1500’!
    Hopefully an easy day will freshen them up for tomorrow’s Cotswold Way Relay.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Belated Happy Birthday SC.

Action packed as ever Jools. I have no idea what happened to the bearings, possible they fell out when I was packing/unpacking the bike for transit, in fact I now remember as I write this finding a single bearing and wondering what it was from, I think this was on arrival in Nice! 

Managed 8 miles at lunch, some discomfort but not too bad, probably a bit too much too soon but will see tomorrow whether there's a reaction.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jools - no, i'm strictly amateur! No rules on road shoes luckily as an inter club pee about which is good.
    Will be interesting who actually turns out as I know a few who aren't, but not who is confirmed as in!

Will be a lark no doubt. Haircut just carried out to be 0.01 sec quicker ;)

Decent workouts - I always prefer a rest to be on time and stationery to be honest, well, wandering about a bit. Unless the recovery is built in to be a particular pace. Say sub 6 for the reps, and 630 ish for the recovery.
    For that latter type of session it's amazing how the recovery starts feeling comfy, when on a normal run it'd feel some sort of effort!
  • Doesn't sound at all nice Reg. I used to do time trials on a bike when I was younger and always fancied getting back to a bike at some time but even with Bus doing his best to show how dangerous running is (dog attacks due to the bacon aftershave, personal attacks and insults, thorn through the foot not to mention any number of assorted aches and pains that "will pass over given time") the number of cyclists I know with as much expensive titanium inside their bodies as expensive carbon underneath them keeps me away.

I got back to the track yesterday, need to do it a few more times before it gets to be a habit, and did my usual 6x800m session off a lazy lap jog recovery. Still at the stage where the improvements are noticeable each time but that just means I'm rusty. It was a bit overcast and heavy showers but cooler than last time and overall it was a better session. There was a veteran lady doing javelin practice and I'm thinking "flat field, lightning rod".

First day back into the office since Covid other than a brief trip to bring home a pile of computers right at the start of the first lockdown. I am now officially a home worker so can claim expenses for driving into London and need that to cover the various congestion and emission charges they now apply. 

Stopped off at Denham on the way back to run on and down the Grand Union Canal. All very nice and scenic other than the part where HS2 is bridging through (https://www.hs2.org.uk/building-hs2/viaducts-and-bridges/colne-valley-viaduct/) and a bit where anglers were sitting which smelled of piss and fishmeal and was so full of flies it was hard to breathe without sucking them in: I can't see anything to recommend that. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Gets them away from their wives Philip, without having to do anything but sit down all day!

That's really bad luck Reg, especially on such a big occasion with a real chance of a good finish. You did well to bale out without going over the wall! Weird about the bearings!  I'm hoping the location of the crash and the amount of swearing that must have followed allows me to make a bad joke about Tourette's syndrome...

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound at all nice Reg. I used to do time trials on a bike when I was younger and always fancied getting back to a bike at some time but even with Bus doing his best to show how dangerous running is (dog attacks due to the bacon aftershave, personal attacks and insults, thorn through the foot not to mention any number of assorted aches and pains that "will pass over given time") the number of cyclists I know with as much expensive titanium inside their bodies as expensive carbon underneath them keeps me away.

I got back to the track yesterday, need to do it a few more times before it gets to be a habit, and did my usual 6x800m session off a lazy lap jog recovery. Still at the stage where the improvements are noticeable each time but that just means I'm rusty. It was a bit overcast and heavy showers but cooler than last time and overall it was a better session. There was a veteran lady doing javelin practice and I'm thinking "flat field, lightning rod".

First day back into the office since Covid other than a brief trip to bring home a pile of computers right at the start of the first lockdown. I am now officially a home worker so can claim expenses for driving into London and need that to cover the various congestion and emission charges they now apply. 

Stopped off at Denham on the way back to run on and down the Grand Union Canal. All very nice and scenic other than the part where HS2 is bridging through (https://www.hs2.org.uk/building-hs2/viaducts-and-bridges/colne-valley-viaduct/) and a bit where anglers were sitting which smelled of piss and fishmeal and was so full of flies it was hard to breathe without sucking them in: I can't see anything to recommend that. 

Phil, I passed over that part of the canal a few days back on the bike. I used to also fish there myself about twenty years back. Fishing isn't really of interest nowadays, whereas once; apart from women with no kit on, it was the only interest.

When Covid called a couple of years back, I found my off road routes now infested with bored suburbanites with newly acquired shit machines. It put me off enough to instead spend more time cycling. And time I have spent. I guess maybe 900 hours last year and getting on for 500 hours so far this.

And results have followed. 

Pleasantly Surprised 🙂 | Ride | Strava

Have to admit, I'm quite pleased with that particular KOM.

🙂

• RicF said:
    Pleasantly Surprised 🙂 | Ride | Strava

Have to admit, I'm quite pleased with that particular KOM.

What makes you pleased with that one in particular? You have a big collection of odd KOM titles spread all over the place and I see you come out my way occasionally and do Kop Hill, Whiteleaf etc but you are  along way off the leaderboard on those. 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Phil, that particular KOM is the only one that I regard as a genuine performance. The others are either luck, uncontested or manufactured. This segment had all the numbers. Average Watts, Watts/Kg. My age is a matter of curiosity. 

On those Chiltern Hill monsters? Before my iron deficiency was detected, I went up Whiteleaf and blew up completely. In fact, my arms went numb with the effort. The really steep hills at speed seemed to find me out. Whereas I had reasonable strength endurance, what I lacked (still do I suspect) was the sheer power required in the 2 to 6 minute bracket. It's a tough call. The absolute performances there are out of sight. 

I've improved vastly over the last couple of months. Using the power meters and HR monitor, Garmin has given me a new detected VO2 Max of 59.0 to a current level of 77.0. How absolutely true these readings are is a matter of discussion. I don't place any value on them bar they are getting better. 

Major surgery soon. Could be a week or two. That'll take me out for weeks. After that, who knows?

🙂

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bus - hopefully the paddling is strengthening up the back and hammies, but at the very least its not annoying them.

Reg - shame, especially when you're in good nick. The crap thing about Tri is that mechanical failures can ruin your day. I like the idea of a redemption race, to use your fitness.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Phil, I should have added that I believe that KOM was a direct result of employing correct training patterns as regards becoming faster, rather than the one's I used in thirty years of running which got me fit, and fit enough to field some decent times. 

From the masses of data I've accumulated since August 2021 (power meter data) it does appear that effective top end improvements come ironically from a high percentage of low exertion training. I only discovered this fact once in 30 years of running (2012) and dismissed the results gleaned thereof (V50 Team Gold, Aldershot Road Relays) as some sort of glitch. 

I'd spent the entire summer of that year jogging about at 8 and 9 minute mile pace. No tempo or sessions at all. I'd given up trying. Then I was asked to fill in at the relays! I had two weeks. Two sessions of 200's was it. Then the event where in heavy rain and shoes full of water, I averaged sub six mile pace and finished with a sprint uphill. That was then. It's cycling only now, so I'll stop there.

Feel free to return to running talk. 

🙂

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Same weekend last yr i did 1.22.09 at Goodwood on probably a breezier day than today. And ended up with 2.54.33 at vlm, so double pkus 10min 15sec. Didnt think id be in that shape after recent lurgies, but had done a few short races which i figured would have done me good.
    Started with a few 6.25s so 1.24 pace, built into it and ran strongly (probably had a little bit in reserve too - but wanted to run strong and not tail off if i felt woozy). Got a sniff of a possible 1.23 but ended up finishing strong with 1.22.19, which was a nice surprise, only a bit of breeze each lap though. Horrible lonely affair as only 150 in the 1/2 and i was 6th, although there were 5k and 10k folks to weave through. 2022 running fortunes are starting to improve after being ruined by illness and niggles earlier in the year.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good one TR, especially on a lonely laps job. 2 laps of that track was plenty in the 10k in Feb :)

Had a busy weekend myself, so strap yourself in for a couple of quick (ish!) turnout reports :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Friday was race 8 on the club champs then, the magic mile.

Last year I believe they had a 3 lapper on grass, which I dare say was interesting, but this one was a proper track job, over at Thames Valley Track.

Turned out as being 5 heats, kids race, 8.30+, sub 8.30, sub 7, sub 6.
    I feared the numbers and self policing could go out of whack, but in the end it went brilliantly.

Arrived 7ish, event due to start at 7.30 and knew I wouldn't be up until 8.
    A few laps warm up in road shoes to prepare, then into Nexts for the main stuff. No stipulations on shoes at this sort of club thing. Not convinced there would truly be any advantage versus proper spikes and things for proper runners anyway!

Had some fun, with the nerves rising watching the earlier heats.

A couple of Dashers' "Big 4" were there, Lee and Bayliss.  I've been within 22secs & 14 or so seconds of the former at 5miles and 5k recently, but that's with him easing back into fitness!

So a clear favourite 2, but next positions up for grabs. 2 or 3 others who could be decent though, so no given to even be 3rd.

We line up at the "9 metres from the start of a lap line" as I believe all the proper track runners like me officially call it, and it's almost time for the off.
    Encouragement to a few kids and people hanging about about 3metres into the lap to please get off the track, and we're OFF!!

Chris leads us off, but I only let that stand for about 10metres before I take it on.
    Nothing silly but steady.

Take that to probably 200 or 300m and Dave Lee comes past as expected. No worries, I shouldn't be leading this for too long, and if I was I'd have overcooked it!!

Through lap 1in 1.14, which takes me a few seconds to remember that has the 2seconds 9metres bit factored in, so 1.12 seems well measured.

I'm either still 2nd or narrowly 3rd through lap 2, can't remember and I vaguely clock 2.31 on my quick glance, so I'm on track for a sub 5 as the last lap will always be quicker and we still have that 2 sec thing factored in.

What I do remember feeling was a strong feeling of no chance anyone comes past me in the last 2 laps. Feeling like there's something in the locker, but not particularly coasting. A totally different feeling to Gosport where I knew I wasn't holding people off from midway.

Lap 4, an actual bell goes which was a nice touch, as it's as we all are, until the last 50m, where I put an old fashioned SG sprint in, and juuuust don't quite make up the gap to steal 2nd from Bayliss!

I'd have taken 3rd before, but when you go over literally half a body, probably his foot just over before your head you do wonder. Just needed 5metres more I think.

Finally confirmed times as 
    Lee 4.53
    Bayliss 4.56
    Me 4.57
    5.02, 5.03 for 4th and 5th, and it's amazing how they felt comfortably held off. 5 seconds over a track mile really can feel a margin.

Whether 2 seconds quicker than road sounds about right I'm not sure, but if anything it felt a slightly tactical race? Maybe out a bit less hard than on the road where it's easy to not realise you're operating a bit too hard too early? Hard to say really.

But anyway,  comfortably sub 5 is always good, and 98 club points banked.
    Just need 1 more event to get the qualifying 8 in and I'll definitely be in the top 5 that get pots in March barring some insanity going on.
    Have half an eye on top 5 in the age grading too, which I think might be an even better achievement, as we have a couple of V60s you have no chance of matching, as well as all the better runners than me being older :D  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Great social after for a couple of hours in a bar upstairs I hadn't ever noticed before. Very convenient!

Long drive home as always, as I forget how far Windsor/Eton are from Wycombe, and eventually to bed for 12.

Up earlish the next day for Saturday standards, then off to turnout 2 of the weekend.

Runnymede Relays.

This is a nice friendly standard race in Windsor Great Park. A bizarrely awkward start time of 12, which some years means horrible heat and humidity.
    However, this year I was glad it wasn't early, after the mile / late night, and also the wind was the big factor if anything.
    (I say this, having managed to still get sun burnt, so there must have been plenty of sun here and there!)

We had a decent team out, Bayliss again, Samson, albeit on the comeback trail, me and Ferguson, couple of other decent runners including one woman as per the rules.

We quickly clocked that Milocorian some crack Army services team would be the main contender as usual. Probably helps being able to draw on an army's resources :D:smile:

Reading, with Dachs involved would as always be in the mix too.
    I was slightly alarmed to hear from the great man himself that he was on leg 6, my leg....but more on that later.

Probably about 20 teams here this year. There are usually more, but numbers are down across racing post pandemic, with so many options. However, the quality at the front was decent as always.

Tradition in our club is that we can never get all 6 there for the whole race.
    Same as always this year, our current fastest guy Bayliss who i'd earmarked for 1st had thrown a curveball midweek saying he was at a kid's footy tournament until fairly close to that :D:smile:

Therefore, after negotiation, and asking for 6th, I told him 5th would work better - you don't risk your best runner as 6th in case it's all set in stone by then!!!

Fergo is a good choice for 1st though as he has a bounding style, and is good on offroad.

He leads the race off, and eventually comes back in 2nd, behind Milocorian, about 1min 20 behind. 30secs or so lead over Reading.

Samson on leg 2, albeit post niggle and not in mint condition as per warning us, sees it through for 2nd home on that leg, taking about 10secs off 1st, and keeping the gap over 3rd to the same too.

All teams seem to have hit the same strategy of lady on 3rd, but Milocorian's woman looks sharp, and it comes out later she's done something between 20.06 - 20.10 for goodness sake. 3.6miles (6k), offroad, with a couple of hills and a windy first mile :D 

Our lady goes decently for 25xx, but has switched places with Reading, so we're in 3rd.

However, we all think it's a straight 3 way tie until lap 4.

Bright orange vested Woking have an animal in 4th. It turns out that like our man Dachs he's a sub 70 HM guy, but a current one, having done it at Wokingham this Feb.

He utterly tears the field a new one, and converts 4th into 2nd.

We suddenly realise we could easily miss out on the pots here, although we do have Bayliss up next who is an offroad machine and in life time best form.

He'd slightly worried us by not having arrived for a few mins after leg 4 was on route, so I was off having a panicked warm up / pit stop not sure if I'd be up 5th instead of 6th :o:open_mouth:

However, he was there and probably only went off 15-20secs behind Reading.
    He was always going to drill that, as the whole race rested on how big a lead would he give me over Dachs. Even a not top form Dachs would need a bit of holding off.

The route, which I'll explain more in due course, means that you can see the runners come back across the field, and then you can have some fun trying to judge how far ahead they  are!

Bayliss was on the home straight, and I couldn't see Reading in the same straight. That was promising.
    A few words of bants exchanged with Dachs on the handover line, and I've got the baton, and I'm off. Not really sure of the lead...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    The first km or so is on a strangely deceptive inclining grassy bank, with spells of stony stuff every so often.
    The wind is also really up.

I literally can't see anyone in the whole stretch in front, and it's just me. It's pretty bleak :D 

I see the watch go from 5.20 to 6 to 6.20 then 6.15 and all over the place, and I've literally no idea if Dachs is machine gunning me down and I'll be overtaken by the end of this grassy bank or not. Havoc.

End of this stretch you have a steep but short little climb as you get onto proper roady path. Much better.

Half a mile or so of this, from flat to a bit of a climb. I can see a club mate, but alarmingly it doesn't feel like I'm gaining! I have a few looks to my left and can't see Dachs to my left, so I'm ok for a bit.
    6.13 first mile, which is stronger than the 6.35 or so our guy in 1st put in, so I'm going ok though.

Eventually past the team mate, then the bit of the course that you forget while waiting for the straight line to the end of the field.
    It takes you a left, then another sweeping left and down through a woody bit, feeling like you're going in the wrong direction to where you need to be :)

A nice sweep round position I can see no Dachs so for the first time I think I might see this through, as he'll have to be going some to close this over 2miles including a gently down 0.7miles coming up soon.
    Mile 2 is 5.48.

Overtake a few on the rutted slightly dodgy footing of this slightly down part towards the white gates, and the glorious turn around position. The long walk is right next to this, but they don't allow us to run on that, so instead it's the rutted footing :)

3rd mile up at at 5.34

I get to the end of the park, which takes ages, turn around, and there's just 0.4miles to go.
    Back into wind, and It feels slightly up, but I look left, no Dachs, where he is?

I'm eating into this 0.4mile to go a couple of runners not that far ahead, but they're a lap ahead, although for one second I mistook the blue of the guy in front for being the original leaders, but no chance!!

I spot Dachs, and he'll have a min to the turn around at least, let alone to me, so I'm golden.

Fight the wind, ease up a bit to make sure, and a slightly dodgy no special finish line, and duck under the rope that separates finishers from their next runner, and soooo relieved to have seen it through for us to bank 3rd.

I walk across the gangway, hand my baton to the organisers and it's a good feeling. I can vividly remember finishing the long leg here once and being down in the cud for about 30mins :D 

21.03 for the 3.6miles so 5.51 pace, and that has definitely been my best turnout here as until this year I'm not sure I've had anything beyond average here.

Quite stressy being 6th, and even more so when they give you a strong lead.
    Although better than leading and having a small lead over a better runner, as happened twice to us in recent years.

I believe PJ had exactly the good lead scenario at this race a few years ago, albeit on the old short legs (sub 3miles?) That was in the days of long leg (5.5m), short leg (2.9m), whereas now it's much better at all medium legs.
    That long leg was particularly brutal in heat and humidity, the only place since 2015 where I've almost stacked it on a race.

So 3rd place, probably had a 2min lead, and I think on chatting to Dachs he took 20or so secs out of me.
    But a bum gig for Dachs, 2mins is almost impossible to take out of someone on this course, as you'd have to smash yourself on the uphill into wind, and then the guy you're chasing can take advantage of the fast middle and run in.

Decent cool down with him after, good to catch up.

But the rest of the event was a decent catch up with our teams, and posing for a few pics and picking up the now medals...as opposed to the classic dinner plates they gave out for a decade.

No problem really, as long as what they give out has the event, what position and where, that's plenty.

In keeping with tradition, we only managed to get 4 into the prize giving pic, and never had all 6 of us available to take a team pic at anyone time!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    With a Friday and Saturday race, and not wanting to have Sunday as a rest day, I made a sensible call to make today a bit of a cut down mileage job.

10 in 7.30s therefore rounded off a 7 day week, 1 sesh and 2 races. Enjoyable week, and 298 lifetime races now.

Will have to try and time the 300th to be something good!!
  • RicF said:
    Phil, that particular KOM is the only one that I regard as a genuine performance. The others are either luck, uncontested or manufactured. This segment had all the numbers. Average Watts, Watts/Kg. My age is a matter of curiosity. 

Major surgery soon. Could be a week or two. That'll take me out for weeks. After that, who knows?
    I'm no expert on cycling so I'll take your word for it. 58 kg is skinny so expect you haven't got the explosive power needed for those sharp uphill blasts but then again it is a lot less weight to haul uphill. 

I was working about your surgery: I see you pop up on Strava pretty regularly so knew you hadn't had any significant time out. All the best for that.

Any news on the move to NZ or is that all on the back-burner?
  • SG, looks like a good couple of turnouts. I reckon you have a bit more to come on the track but are probably lacking the experience: I definitely got better with regular track races and the improvements were much greater than simply being fitter and faster. 

Glen Stag Mile, July 22nd? 

https://data.opentrack.run/en-gb/x/2022/GBR/gsm22/?fbclid=IwAR3q64HMoQhJ39MLx3lVsOa-NXTew0hQJJ_Hms9eIi840T0CPqK0PGgkT3E

The year I did the glory last leg I took over in first with a significant lead so it was just a case of not being silly. As you say, you could see the runners behind at certain turns so once that happened you knew you were home and dry.  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I'm certain you're right. It must take a fair few goes to make sure you're at the right level throughout. Even finishing with a monster sprint didn't feel like the usual totally spent, down on haunches job I've had many a time in other runs.

I'll probs do Battersea Park 3x1mile a few days after that is the only thing.

It's been a brilliant year so far. Close to 2018 which was certainly my most enjoyable year since the early 2010s.

I think it's a mixture of getting back to what is probably my top level these days, putting in nice ones at the big fast races, a high turnover of races (did 32 in 2018 and am on track to match that), engaging in the club champs properly for first time ever with this club, plus a few little trips to BP and Gosport.
    There's a few little fun competitive club runs / social midweek stuff in the next couple of months that will be good too.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    RicF said:

I'm no expert on cycling so I'll take your word for it. 58 kg is skinny so expect you haven't got the explosive power needed for those sharp uphill blasts but then again it is a lot less weight to haul uphill. 

I was working about your surgery: I see you pop up on Strava pretty regularly so knew you hadn't had any significant time out. All the best for that.

Any news on the move to NZ or is that all on the back-burner?
    58 kg is light but then again I'm only 1.63m tall. Power to weight ratio is the main factor in cycling, so I'm getting there. My lightest running weight was 52 Kg which is the same weight as the sub two hour marathon man, and he's taller at 1.65m. I'll be decent on the hills again when I'm back down at 54 Kg. However...

The operation is due soon. I'm chatting the deal with the anaesthetist this morning. Odds on after the op I'll lose weight. I might not be able to eat properly for days. Needless to say the superficial luxury of riding bikes and training will take a back seat. 

No permanent move to NZ planned. Slight change of plan. The lad is staying here in the UK and me and Bron could be moving into the place we own out there. I have the option. NZ have granted me a permanent visa. I just have to activate it by going there.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Good work on the KOM Ric, you've certainly improved over the years. Hope the op goes well. 

Nice racing TR and SG. I thought it was building up to a ding dong battle with Dachs but seems you cruised it. Your report did seem to omit the winner of the track mile race time prediction though  ;) 

I had a bit of a reaction after 8 miles on Friday but did manage 6 on Sunday morning as the soreness eased a little. Also did a 25 mile TT on the Drift road with Maidenhead Cycle Club, happy to come first in 55:13 on a course with a few lumps on it so that's 27.1mph. 

Need to get back running now as the last four weeks have been 5,42,15 and 19 miles so probably lost some fitness.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    Good work on the KOM Ric, you've certainly improved over the years. Hope the op goes well. 

Nice racing TR and SG. I thought it was building up to a ding dong battle with Dachs but seems you cruised it. Your report did seem to omit the winner of the track mile race time prediction though  ;) 

I had a bit of a reaction after 8 miles on Friday but did manage 6 on Sunday morning as the soreness eased a little. Also did a 25 mile TT on the Drift road with Maidenhead Cycle Club, happy to come first in 55:13 on a course with a few lumps on it so that's 27.1mph. 

Need to get back running now as the last four weeks have been 5,42,15 and 19 miles so probably lost some fitness.
    Cheers Reg, congrats on the TT. Hopefully I'll be able to do one myself in the future. I've only done three TT's in my life. Did them on that orange bike in my Strava thumbnail pic. 63:01 for 25miles in 2005.

Congrats also to all runners and racers as well. There's nothing really stopping me running again apart from being out of the habit. At the time I packed in the footwork, Garmin had my running based VO2 Max at 45, where the cycling reading came out at about 52.

The combination of HR monitor and Power meter tend to give a fairly close reading when compared to a lab based result. When I stopped running I could do five miles at 7.00 mile pace, HR 155 bpm with my lungs set to explode. By chance a blood test revealed my Haematocrit was in the mid 30's. A course of iron tablets later and it's now 46.  At 155 bpm I'm now hardly breathing. Oxygen debt has become but a fleeting aspect of my efforts, and my VO2 Max has settled at 77.0.

Shame I'm going to be dissected alive, but hey, there's the breaks. Do what we can while we can. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Apologies Reg - I thought i'd done 4.58 and remembered Jools had predicted that, but upon it being confirmed as quicker, hadn't thought to look back.

Take it easy Ric.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cheers SG.

Btw, I saw a new looking Rolls Royce the other day, its number plate? SG1. It was near Princes Risborough as well. Suitable for oneself to be chauffeured to and from races I reckon. Now that would be something 🙂

🙂

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Good report, Reg. Impressive swim. Kona isn’t a cheap race then?! I am sorry it didn’t go your way, but am very impressed with your ability to think under pressure and react the way you did. I am not sure I would have the composure. I don’t think I would even remember it after.

Good pacing on the track, Jools.

Happy milestone birthday, SC.

Quite enjoyed PMJ’s synopsis of Bus’ running history. I think your canal run was nice?!

Very nicely sub-5, SG, and good to see some photos of the next day. Love how much you are enjoying things this year.

After a flurry of late spring/early summer races, things have stalled a little on that front. Didn’t make the Bourton mile on Friday evening, but do hope to get to a couple of track races later in July.

Moose Fartlek last Friday: 5 x (3’ hard. 1’ jog, 1’ harder, 1’ jog). Look an easy session on paper and feels it for the first two sets or so. Then very rapidly seems to catch up with you in the fourth set!

Went for this as I assumed the local grass track would have completely faded by then; indeed, I ran to where I though it must be and couldn’t see anything, so bowled on with the time-based intervals around the outside of the fields. Only on taking a different line in the warm down did I see the faint outline of the oval. Will inspect more closely later this week to see if it clinging on!

Having not run further than 13.1 since the beginning of April, I am planning on getting out for a two hour long run this afternoon before an evening work thing. Could be a shock!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Moose fartlek? You could find a sillier name if you tried :)  I wouldn't say it's easy, as "hard" and "harder" are open to interpretation surely!

The weekend's double turnout and a late night and warm sticky conditions has left me about 1% tickly throated, but just one of those classic runner hypochondriac things, so was fine for a session.

Wouldn't normally do a Tue session after a weekend race, but as the races were a 1mile and an xc and Fri/Sat, not Sun, plus legs felt fine, it seemed fine to keep the usual routine of a week.

Clocked that the club had an interesting session of 8x3mins off 90secs, done in 2 sets of 4, with a 4min recovery after 4.
    I had weighed up doing today as my day in the office and hanging on for the session after, but I thought, waiting about 2hr 30 to monster round a grassy 400m grid, and then drive home at 9.30 for 40mins? Maybe not! Have seen the club lot recently, and will see them next week.

4mins is quite a recovery half way, but I thought a usual sesh would be say 6x0.5m, or even on my plan 6x0.5m then 2x0.25m, 2x0.12m, so 8 x more than half mile is plenty of volume.

Took a few reps to get going, due to cars on roundabouts, grass and wind etc, but it turned over nicely in the end, with average paces and distance in the 3mins below

0.52m          5.46 miling
    0.51m          5.53 miling
    0.52m          5.46 miling
    0.54m x2     5.33 miling
    0.53m x3     5.40 miling

Nice session, it's a sort of zone where you're definitely not smashing it, but not coasting by any means.
    Probably a textbook train, don't strain.

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff all, read everything - great reports. Had a good weekend, swelling down on ankle but still a way off, quite stiff still. Was annoying having to watch the end of the 5k saturday and not running

Unlucky Reggie - glad the injury wasn't too bad. I was reading down and thinking..oh god I hope he doesn't cripple himself doing the marathon too ;)
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Shocking name I agree, SG! But if you’re interested, it is a good one: Ben Parkes running it here. I think the paces are meant to correlate to threshold and then 10/5k. Impressive paces for a road session from you.

Good the swelling is coming down, SG. Can you get on a bike or anything? Maybe not Reg’s…

Managed the long run on Monday late afternoon, although my goodness did it feel hard. 15M at 8:00 pace. Muscularly felt destroyed. That is maybe it being the longest run in three months, or the two sets of lunges I did on Saturday (surely not, they were light and just a warm up). Anyway, good to get it done.

Double recover yesterday of 5M at 8:50s in the morning around the river, and the 5M at 8:00 on the treadmill in the afternoon. Planning on a few grass track strides this afternoon.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'll have a look later SQ.
    SC with the swelling presumably :)

15 is a long one in summer for sure.
    8 today at mid 7s felt plenty today. I look forward to my Saturday rest day if i can make it there :)