Sub 3

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ah, seagulls...  Our old chambers' building was around a courtyard of Georgian houses and at sunset the seagulls started shrieking.  It used to echo around the sodding courtyard like nobody's business, so November-February, when being there after sunset was almost certain, was a nightmare.  Apart from that Cornwall sounded lovely, SJ!

6 miles yesterday.  Rest today as I had to be in Newton Abbot for 9.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - sounds like youve bounced back quickly, that advice sounds like its worth listening to.

Jools - thats quite a trek for a 9am start?

9m inc 10x3min today,,havnt done a session for a while due to racing instead. The av pace for the 35min workout was the best ive seen for a while, athough there's been a known garmin issue yday and today. But ill take the positives a few days before a benchmark race and tell myself im in better shape. Time will tell. Few easy days now.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good session as a first one back TR,  didn't know about Garmin issues!

OO.. good to see you've recovered quickly.

Last night's club run was with a faster group than usual so my legs were very tired this morning.  Called it a day at 5.5m, will try again tomorrow.
    I do need a mini taper before the weekend.  Looks like I will need to run 5 or 6 x 5m loops in 24 hours so easing back will be sensible.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    2 x 4m today on the same loop, should hopefully prepare me for multiple identical laps of Bramham Park this weekend. 🤔
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - its only affecting certain models, mine is still iffy. Hope you go well at the weekend.

Easy 10m home tonight, will go a bit shorter tomorrow.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Wardi - Best of luck for this weekends adventures, sounds great and sure you will enjoy it. Bramham Park looks spectacular.
    TR - Great consistency and great to see faster times on the 10*3 min session. Good luck to you too for this weekends half. Any specific time target in mind, or just run it at a good lick and see how it goes?

Another 4m easy yesterday with total elevation for June another 10,000m.  Need another big month this, so targetting 12,000m of climbing and ideally 280-300 miles. In other news, I wake up today as a Civil Servant as as of today have been tuped into the CS,  as a result of yesterdays employers losing their Government contract earlier in the year.  Interesting times! 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Best of luck for the weekend Wardi & TR.
    Definitely worth tapering before Endure. That’s a tough day out!
    Welcome to public service OO. Very impressive elevation stats. It’s clearly paying off with that result at Afan.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    TR: Newton Abbot is pretty par for the course in terms of travel - certainly used to be back in pre-Covid life!  

I hope life as a civil servant suits you well, OuchOuch.

5 miles with strides yesterday, and 6 mile plod today.  As a sign I'm now closer to FV45 than FV40, picked up my reading glasses this morning...
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jools.. similar age when I started needing specs.  I must have about 7/8 pairs dotted around the house, car, sports bag etc.  My long sight is still ok which is a bonus!

OO.  congrats on the new appointment.

I was up at Bramham Park this morning to put the tent up (it's only 5/6m from home).  Just finished assembly when a 20 minute deluge fell from the skies, at least I had somewhere to shelter.  The weather for the event looks ok thankfully so looking forward to it now.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - NA seems a long trip from Brizzle.

OO - hope the job change is for the good. Are you pleased ? No time targets for 1/2. Run to effort and record the time. Same race last yr was 1.22.0X, but i was probably fitter back then. But then again i hadnt done the races ive done recently.....but then again i was healthier than ive been lately.

Wardi- enjoy it.

5m easy.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Hope the rain stays away and you have a great time Wardi, I see you guys are underway!
    Jooligan - Thanks, yes enjoying the uphill runs some bigger outings planned for the month.  
    TR - No time target sounds good. You do sound currently you've got yourself into good shape so enjoy the run. 
    Jools -you youngster, I had a half birthday last week, now closer to V65 than V50, makes you think! 

Thanks for the congratulations on my new employer position. Its likely to be short-lived, as my new Department are scenario planning for 20-30% job cuts by 2025, and I would snaffle the chance of voluntary redundancy in the Autumn then do 'something' very different.A 12m double y'day, the second along the Cornish coast, divine.   
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I've needed glasses since I was 10 (I'm extremely short-sighted, but typically wear contacts), so I am now the proud owner of contact lenses, day-to-day glasses which will correct my short sight, and reading glasses to be worn with my contacts to make reading music easier.  Hurrah!

7 miles with 12 sets of strides this morning.  Verdi opera rehearsal and concert for this afternoon and this evening.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - hope you get your wish then.

Jools - spo used to have contacts, reading glasses to go with contacts, glasses for no contacts, reading glasses for no contacts, prescription sunglasses.......she had her eye lasered and now only needs cheapo supermarket magnifiers for reading.

4m easy.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Best of luck today TR.

6 x 5m laps done, legs are protesting but the team are twisting my arm to do another one before noon!  Weather has been very kind.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    That's super impressive Wardi, well done.  Dilemma!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - nice, how was lap 7?

Same weekend last yr i did 1.22.09 at Goodwood on probably a breezier day than today. And ended up with 2.54.33 at vlm, so double pkus 10min 15sec. Didnt think id be in that shape after recent lurgies, but had done a few short races which i figured would have done me good.
    Started with a few 6.25s so 1.24 pace, built into it and ran strongly (probably had a little bit in reserve too - but wanted to run strong and not tail off if i felt woozy). Got a sniff of a possible 1.23 but ended up finishing strong with 1.22.19, which was a nice surprise, only a bit of breeze each lap though. Horrible lonely affair as only 150 in the 1/2 and i was 6th, although there were 5k and 10k folks to weave through. 2022 running fortunes are starting to improve after being ruined by illness and niggles earlier in the year.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's a fine & confidence boosting result TR, strong finish by the sound of it. You must be very chuffed to get a result similar to Goodwood last year.

Re lap 7, 3 girls/2 blokes in our team.  The lady team captain opted out of an extra lap due to blisters, another was too tired so it ended up being the 2 blokes.  Lap 6 was at 7am, lap 7 at 11am and despite increasingly tired legs I managed to run 75 secs quicker on the last lap - funny old game.
    35m in 24 hours isn't something I've done before, its quite a challenge working out when to sleep, what to eat when etc.  Should be a decent endurance base for the autumn marathon.  A curry is required tonight to restore calorific balance, a couple of beers for rehydration.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, TR - a great confidence booster!  It sounds a bit grim having so few people running the half, which makes the result all the more impressive.

I'm too scared to have laser surgery (plus I know that at least in the early days a prescription as bad as mine: -10 and -11, wasn't suitable for it...).

12 miles this morning.  It was pretty muggy out, so none too pleasant by the end.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Superb effort in the enduro event. I quite like the sound of doing something like that actually. I can imagine the logistics are all part of the fun. 

TR - great run that given the wind, recent illness and general less than ideal last few months. A nice confidence booster for the autumn. 

OO - good luck with the change of positions and the future aspirations to get out and do something different. 

Joolska - Ditto on being short-sighted from an early age. I've been bespeckled virtually all my life and am blighted with serious astigmatism in both eyes that pretty much mean I can only wear glasses. My mother developed cataracts and was also short-sighted; she had her vision coreccted with lens transplant at 60 yrs old. It wasn't a pleasant experience as I recall. 

Jolligan - nice to see you drop in mate. Hope you are going well? 

Decent-ish week back after my holiday. Club session was a short affair on tues with some sharp 200m sprints. Not sure that's much use to marathon training but there you go. A good 9 miler on weds, easy thurs, rest day fri, 30 min tempo yesterday and then 14 today run progressively as still felt fresh from the week off previously. 47 miles for the week and a good mix of running paces. 

I'm going more low-fi by the week as I accidentally washed my garmin hrm strap in the washing machine. Turns out they don't like that. Saucony website has a decent summer sale on atm. Ride 14's for £75. Speed 2's for £109 and rather temptingly, Pro 2's for £133. If I wasn't about to cough up a significant chunk of cash on a new kitchen renovation I think I'd go for a pair of the Pro's despite my principled stance. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Wardi - That was a tremendous set of runs and a very strong performance. I bet that curry tasted good and hope you treated yourself to another nan bread. 35 miles wow.  Recover well. 

TR - That's a super performance, I liked in particular that you started slower and finished faster. 1.22 is a very impressive performance especially when running solo for long parts of it. We'll done, and that run will give you a further training boost.

SJ - That's a good looking week. Go Pro, you know you want to. 

Joolska - Nice one on the 12m. I've eye laser surgery to, one of the best things I've done.

13m today, a hilly affair 2200' and a 39m week  not bad as still recovering from last weekends marathon. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That’s a huge day Wardi Congratulations. Bet that curry went down well.
    Excellent result TR. Glad you finally got a decent RoI. Recover well.
    Great recovery week OO. Another sign that the recent change of focus in your training is paying dividends.
    Good to hear you’re enjoying running SJ.
    Decent w/e for me. Disappointing parkrun but ran strongly on Stage 10 of the Cotswold Way Relay later that day which was far more important. I was organising my club’s 3 teams which has been far from simple. Fortunately I got them finalised by Tuesday, everyone turned up & finished within the cut-offs. Our vets team are currently in the bronze medal 🥉 position but results are subject to amendment til Thursday so 🤞
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi- top effort, your legs held up well, how are they now? Bet the curry and beer some disappeared.

Jools - thats a couple of 12s are you building things a bit?

SJ - good mix that week. Cheers for the Rides tip off, havnt had any lately as they havnt been on offer ad i can get Pegsmuch cheaper, but ill get a pair at £75.

OO - good idea to keep it easy this week.

Jools - excellent, hope you kerp the bronze medals.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Checked back and i tailed off a bit in the same 1/2 last yr, yday was a more even paced affair. Was 50sec down on last yr after 6m but only 10 sec by the end. Av HR was 5bpm lower yday but last yr was very hunid. Anyway i finished strong and it gives me a sniff of a 255 at london.....if i get the miles in. Last yr id done a lot more by this time but id trained for the marathon and then switched to the 1/2. Less recent miles but a few recent short races instead.

5m easy today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Thanks chaps, I slept for over 9 hrs last night so clearly needed it!
    TR ..  I was quite pleased how I managed my injury 5 weeks ago.  Patience was the key, walking, cycling then gradually got back to running.  No bother over the weekend, legs just feel a bit fatigued today but no soreness.  There is a 10k race that my club take part in tomorrow which I might do if all seems well.  Rest today.

Jooligan.. always good to see our club members doing well, hope your codgers stay on the podium.  Two lads from my club finished 1st & 2nd at York Parkrun on Saturday, both sub 16 mins.  We seem to be attracting a few fast lads considering we are a small town club.

OO.. that's a decent MLR a week after a marathon, you seem to have recovered well.

SJ.. good training week with varied paces.  Schoolboy error putting the HRM strap in the wash.🤔

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    TR - ditto on 5 easy peasy tonight ! Those numbers look promising to me and as you say point to a more than decent chance of a good run at London.

Wardi - Good to read you have recovered well from the weekends efforts. Easy does it if you race again tomorrow. I have noted you mentioning lots of fast runners at your club. You must have a decent group down there now working well together. I finally got round to entering Chester. I snooped your clubs impressive entry list. Decent turn out indeed. 

Jooligan - as others top stuff on the podium for your vets team. Also great work I'm sure behind the scenes getting all the logistics sorted. No mean feat at all that for three teams. Despite me putting our vets team in first place after my stage of the Welsh Castles relay we fell away to 5th after day 2 a couple of weeks back ! Just don't have the strength in depth. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Wardi - you defo held up well given the recent injury. Not sure about the 10k so soon though.

SJ - i decided to buy a pair of those Rides today, too late......should have done it yday when i was checking sizes.

5m today, still a bit achey after Sunday. But legs feel ok.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Wardi - How did the 10K go, hopefully a lap of honour affair?
    TR - Good you've come out of the half marathon feeling good. Onwards and upwards.

After a 260 mile round trip for an Orientation Day with my new employer, able to go out and do a bumpy 12m last night in 1.50 with 1400' ascent over the local downs seeing the wildlife, thousands of hill sheep and neolithic monuments.  Felt so liberating after being indoors all day listening/ looking at presentations and presenters. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. that sounds like a nice run, yes it is nice to get out in the fresh air when you've been cooped up all day.

I decided to do the 10k in 2 halves.  Paced one of the club fillies to 5k at 7.45-7.50 pace to see how the legs felt.  I pushed on from there, last 3m were 7.42, 7.39, 7.34 then 7.02 for the last flourish.  Just over 48 mins, legs seemed ok as the pace wound up.  The course was flatter than a billiard table, warm & bright sun last night.  The first two were both under 32 mins.

A couple of 4 milers today to shake out any stiffness.  Very windy up here!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good commitment there OO, dont think id get out for 12m after that day.

Wardi - i bet the piano will turn up in a day or so and you'll be dragging along.

10m home here, squeeking it up again.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Wardi - You have the bit between your teeth at the moment and thats a good 10K run, pretty speedy last mile. 
    TR - Good "squeeking", that made me laugh.  It was either a 12m run or a few beers (which in mid week I am trying to avoid).

5&11m double yesterday, again bumpy, this time along the coast and again slow, averaging 9.30 pace. Another 1100' ft added to this months total, aiming for c30,000 for the month! Another double planned for today, around work and the TdF.