P&D Autumn Marathon 2022

Comments

• NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Well done you three.  Hope Cotswolds Relay was fun in the rain Jools. Thanks for the invitation which as you know via other communication, I couldn’t take up.  

No running for me at all for 6 days, in a week dominated by my daughter’s graduation- and clearing her house out etc.  Last night, I did a pretty tough P&D session- 9m with 5@ LT HR.  

Seven weeks ago, a similar session had to be limited to 4m@LT and yielded a pace of 7:39 (which would have collapsed if I had tried to do a fifth mile!) - but last night, I averaged 7:24 for the full five, and though I was beginning to feel it, I hadn’t “blown up”. So signs of progress. 

Hoping to find time for a steady 11m today, to get me to the twenties for the week - but still the chances are not good!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the long run cal, another parkrun chalked up too

Good to see a bit of progress NE

Same weekend last yr i did 1.22.09 at Goodwood on probably a breezier day than today. And ended up with 2.54.33 at vlm, so double pkus 10min 15sec. Didnt think id be in that shape after recent lurgies, but had done a few short races which i figured would have done me good.
    Started with a few 6.25s so 1.24 pace, built into it and ran strongly (probably had a little bit in reserve too - but wanted to run strong and not tail off if i felt woozy). Got a sniff of a possible 1.23 but ended up finishing strong with 1.22.19, which was a nice surprise, only a bit of breeze each lap though. Horrible lonely affair as only 150 in the 1/2 and i was 6th, although there were 5k and 10k folks to weave through. 2022 running fortunes are starting to improve after being ruined by illness and niggles earlier in the year.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    NE, well done on getting that done. We can only do what we can, eh?
    TR that's great only being 10 seconds down on last year after what you've been through - you definitely seem to have turned a corner.

Day off yesterday (just a leisurely 5 mile walk) but 6 miles today including some strides. Got the last race in the Wimbledon Trail Series tomorrow...dreading it a bit as it's longer than the others (the standard route is 5 miles but there's another, slightly shorter lap for the last one of the year, taking it up to just under 8 miles). And that's a tough course. I'm sure I'll manage, though...I'll just need to be sensible about pacing myself.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - start off a bit conservatively and build into it.

5m yday, 5m today, few easy days after Sunday's effort.
    good luck racing tomorrow Cal. 

I didn’t get out at all Sunday, so just the one 9m run last week, which isn’t the worst thing after a few weeks building up mileage. 

A good start to this week. Yesterday a gentle 5m run, then tonight it was a league race at Pontypool. 5.9m with a couple of tough hills but mainly flat. Not bad. Averaged 7:51 pace - so not great either! Perhaps Saturday’s LT run was a little in my legs. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I thought Pontypool was usually a hilly course NE but maybe I’m thinking of their XC courses. Their Gwent League course is the toughest I’ve done. Decent start to the week nonetheless.
    Good luck at Wimbledon Cal. Listen to TR’s wise words & you should enjoy it whatever the time.
    We’ve dropped off the podium now for CWR. No surprise as we were almost 2 hrs quicker when we came 3rd in 2015. That would’ve been good enough to win comfortably this year!
    Frampton 10K on Monday
    Entered over enthusiastically months ago having not clocked the proximity to CWR. Unsurprisingly it was a so-so run after the weekend’s racing & driving high-mileage + lack of sleep. Wasn’t helped by an enforced bush dive at 6K 😆 which enabled a club rival to come past. Almost caught him, but a slight climb over a canal tipped me over the edge & he pulled away again over the final 500m. Still, managed 41:28 which isn’t too shabby.
    Couple of easy 5K runs yesterday which did feel slightly harder than I’d’ve expected even on post race legs. Tested positive this morning 😭
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one NE

Jools - shame re the 3rd place. Bigger shame re the CV, its everywhere again. Hopefully you'll bounce back quickly, it seems to take me longer, maybe as i firsr had it unnvaccinated.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done NE - yes your legs were likely still a bit tired.
    Jools, hope you recover quickly - time to give your bod a break, I guess.

I did a gentle three mile recovery run this morning, low HR, then took it easy until the evening.

Wimbledon Trail Series Race 3. Unlike the first two races, the third race is longer - almost 8 miles - and it was my first time doing this as the first year I ran, I was injured for the last race, while last year the series was held later (due to the pandemic) so the last race was the same length as the others as it was in September, when there's less daylight. The technical Alps section is not repeated, but the rest is, so it's twice up the steep Rifle Butts (unlike last time, this was not a muddy slip 'n' slide, but I decided power walking the steepest part was more efficient than trying to jog up it) and twice up the horrible Toast Rack, which was particularly sandy today thanks to all the dry weather.
    I figured I'd be around 80 minutes and I came in at somewhere under 82 so I wasn't far off. I really slowed down second time up the Toast Rack but the main issue I had was painful intestinal cramps towards the end. I had one that literally stopped me in my tracks and made me double over within view of the finish. 
    This isn't the first time this has happened - I had the same thing at Kingston half back in 2019, though I managed to pull myself together enough to get a PB. Not a concern today as it was a weird distance and I'm not in shape, but could've done without it.
    Anyway, it's done! And at least I have a time to try and beat next year.
  • Jools - that’s a bugger, hope it’s mild and you’re over it quickly.

NE - definite signs of progress, well done.

Cal - a decent few days of running, PR, LR then trail race.  Hope the cramps were a one off.

TR - excellent time in the half, sounds like you ran it well with a strong finish. 

Still seeing the physio here.  On top of a load of weird and wonderful stretches and strength exercises I’ve been told to introduce 2 min sprints.  The first set was a leap of faith but it feels like progress so that’s positive and I’m up to 6 miles for a long run !
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well toughed out cal. Cramps might be an evening race tging due to eating through the day?

Macca - great news on a bit of progress. Im not sure on hammy exercises as they seem to annoy, but i defo saw a bit of hammy/glute issue progress with some drills, its a good thing to make your body work properly which is what your 2min reps are doing.

10m home last night, 9m inc 10x3min this morning, was a bit slow and achey but that's to be expected after Sunday.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, exactly that, I think...I usually run mornings on an empty stomach. 
    Macca, that sounds promising! Interesting a physio would prescribe sprints...usually speed is the last thing to be reintroduced.
    6 miles this morning - air temp still tolerable. Dreading the heatwave...my flat is hottest in the evening as it's mostly west facing, so I won't be getting a lot of sleep. Two week forecast doesn't suggest an end to it, either. Fffffff.....
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - weather is an uncontrollable, hopefully you'll adapt.

Time to push the long runs up with 12wks to go. So, 5.5m easy, 10m steady, 4.5m easy. Coped pretty well, helped by 2 gels and a litre of fluid.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's not just the sleep loss, TR...I'm a big gamer and hot weather means I'll have to put a crimp on that as I'm not keen to cook my GPU. 

Chose Horsham parkrun today...I had originally planned on University Parks (Oxford) but once I'd assessed costs (45-50 minutes on the tube, then an hour on the train which is £30 return, plus a bit of a walk) I decided against it. If I was going with friends and planned to have a bit of a day out in Oxford, fair enough, but for just the run...nah. 
    Horsham's a bit easier - an hour journey and the park's right by the station, so did that one. In winter it moves to another park that's much harder to get to so figured I'd hit this one in summer.
    Park's nice but it's a three lapper and a lot more was on grass and trail than I expected. Not hilly but also not flat, so wasn't what I'd call a fast course.
    There was a bit of a breeze and the clouds came across during the run so it wasn't too warm, but HR was still in the 180s after the first mile. Ran 28:27 which isn't wonderful but sleep's not been good and I am likely still recovering from the Wednesday race so I'm not going to be too hard on myself.
    I've just invested in a new mobility programme and was shocked to realise I can no longer touch my toes, not to mention failing a lot of the other mobility tests. The exercises are pretty hard but hopefully will help. I'm starting to think my issues are less about health and more that I have turned into a chair-shaped person.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    As I am very, very, very loosely basing my training on P&D, and today's long run was supposed to be 16 miles with 10 at MP. Which I knew was completely beyond me as I can just about manage a parkrun at MP, let alone 10 miles as part of the longest run I've done since Manchester Marathon. Then there's the small matter of my right SI joint being a whiny little sod and everything else on that side hurting because of it.

I settled on 16 miles with some miles a bit faster than easy pace...I was aiming for 10 minute miles but that didn't quite happen. The first one felt like it should have been 10 but was actually 40 seconds slower; the next I had to stop twice for cars, and then I managed a 9:55. I guess I'd shot my bolt with that as I then got progressively slower again until I hit 13 miles in Battersea Park. Decided to jog the remaining three back home as it was uphill and my right hip, ham and achilles were all hurting like mad.
    I made it to 16, but felt like I'd run a marathon. It was that bad I even stretched when I got back. 🤣
    Easy week now...partly because it's going to be in the 30s and partly because I've that 8 mile race on Sunday. I'm hoping I'll be a bit more acclimatised by then!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good going on the 16m cal, sounds like the loss of gaming time can be invested into mobility work then, defo a good thing for your running. Ive done some drills later and think theyve helped things.

Hot turbo session for me today.
    good going indeed Cal. And kudos for attacking mobility/ flexibility. 

Glad you’re progressing Macca. 

Jooligan - Indeed it’s a different course for the Pontypool GLCL Road race. I think it’s essentially the one used for the Home run. 

TR Nice to get a 20 miler in.  

Good week for me. About 44 I think, culminating in a very early 17.5 miler this morning. Felt pretty good. The last 5 completed miles all just under 9 pace. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see some progress NE

5m easy commute in, rather than a monday mlr due to Wednesday's 10k, not great mara prep, but ive run some ordinary 10k times recently and have a chance to improve on them if weather and conditions allow.

hot hot hot!  Some strength work in the gym this morning then a 4m tootle (and I mean tootle) round the Forest of Dean Park Run course - the cooler woods being the perfect place to run. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, good luck with that, it'll be toasty for sure.
    NE, try being in London...ugh. I expect my flat will reach 30 degrees tonight.

Up early for 8 miles with some strides in the last mile and it didn't feel too bad considering how much Sunday hurt (was warm and muggy though...not much overnight cooling). Sunday's race looks potentially gruelling. Glad I opted for the 8 mile rather than the 10 mile.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Bad night last night as it's now very hot in my room (29 when I went to bed). Fortunately I just had a 5 mile recovery run planned for today.
    It’s at times like this when you Londoners can keep your fancy West End, museums and culture!  I really don’t envy you this week Cal!

Only a couple of miles yesterday for me. I coached last night and highly enjoyable it was. Hope to get out today late evening-but not sure. I have had a decent gym session though. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Too hot here too Cal. The stone building is a perfect storage heater so it’s warm all night!
    Solid week back NE.
    No run yesterday as I was too busy race organising/directing. Fortunately the morning’s test gave me the all clear to attend.
    117 runners out of 147 turned up - their loss not mine.
    Light rain for about 90 minutes pre-race cooled things down nicely then dried up for the race & post-race pub social.
    Winning times were 33:46 for the men & 38:27 for the women. Full age range represented: 17-86. Both V70 winners were 49:xx too on an undulating course!

4M & 6M double today. 
    Both undulating routes, more so the latter (90’/M) 8:29 & 8:42 pace respectively 
    HR still 4-5 bpm up on pre-CoViD but significantly better than Monday for sure.
    Legs less achy too. We’ll see how they are tomorrow, mind 😆
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thing is, NE, not many of us actually bother with the West End, museums and culture, unless we've friends visiting from elsewhere who want to see them. Still, right now I'm envious of my friends who live up north.
    Lucy to get some rain at least, Jools. Good news that the HR is getting back to normal.

Up early again for another 8 miler. Weather felt a bit fresher - even wore a T instead of a vest. Unfortunately, body felt pretty niggly. I think it doesn't like that I sleep on my left most of the time - I think that's what's  upsetting the right SI joint but I'm not sure what to do about that as it's hard to sleep in hot weather, let alone in a different position than normal. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - well done on the race organisation, good to put something back in. Glad you're on the mend.

Cal- well done for getting out there. Theres adaptations to be had from this warm training.

Brighton 10k last night. Bit too much of a rush to make trains each way after work and after the race really. Was hoping for a low 37 after the 1.22 10 days ago, but didnt feel fresh enough. Maybe the weekends 20m and turbo combo, or maybe the rushing about to make the race. Anyway a solid 37.46 (6.04, 03, 09, 04, 03, 00 and 5.43 for the extras), so decent paced. First 1/2 was into a breeze which helped temps, 2nd 1/2 was like someone had turned the oven on.......another sub3 indicator, but really need to get the marathon training going in earnest now.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    10m yday, just easy 5m today on achey legs. Long run tomorrow.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, I hope so. Used to do a lot of Bikram yoga until I could no longer afford it, so a bit out of practise with the warm stuff.
    Well done on the 10K - that's very decent for the weather. 
    Opted for my local parkrun today as I'm racing tomorrow (yikes). Pushed a bit but not too much but HR still went to 189 on the home stretch. Didn't even feel that hot, and I slept relatively well. Got 27:59 which is incredibly annoying as I still need a .00 for my parkrun bingo, and I have umpteen .59s already. Bah.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope the race goes well cal

Toasty 20m for me this morning.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done TR, that's a long way in hot weather.

Harry Hawkes 8, then! Went in with no expectations due to heat and the fact it's a distance I've not raced before, so decided I'd start out easy and see how it went. Didn't have the best night's sleep and felt like I didn't have the energy to warm up (although I had walked two miles from Balham to Clapham Junction due to engineering works on Southern), but once I got going I was OK. It felt pretty warm even early in the morning so for the first mile I was finding my feet. Mile 2 I stopped to hoik up my chest strap as it was falling down (probably because of all the barrier cream I rubbed on to stop my sports bra chafing)...Mile 3 I stopped at the water station as I wanted to make sure I got to drink a full cup and not shoot half of it up my nose as I usually do. After that I started feeling quite strong and was overtaking people on the river path. I did get overtaken by the 10 mile leader just after 5 miles (given he'd run two more mile than me and had started 15 minutes later, he must have been going some!) but I was actually enjoying the race, smiling at people and exchanging the odd well done and whatnot. Kind of like how I felt when I ran Chester Marathon back in 2018.
    Stopped again briefly at the water station past the bridge (mile 6) but felt strong enough to up my speed a bit for the last two miles despite it being quite hot by then. Even had enough for a sprint finish where I overtook two women in front of me.
    All miles below 10 minute pace except for the three where I stopped briefly, and I came in under 80 minutes which I'm relatively pleased with under the circumstances. HR was in the 180s for the last two miles (9:35 and 9:29) and hit 191 for that last sprint but I felt fine and still do. 
    I am now looking forward to ice cream and some rose I've got chilling in the fridge (though not too much of the latter...don't want to dehydrate myself!)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - well run. Well controlled, good to start out conservatively and build, some of my better recent races have been like that. Enjoy the treats.

Turbo day for me.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks TR.
    I had a very restless night - I did sleep but I seemed to wake up every hour. It was 28 degrees in my flat when I went to bed so tonight will be much, much worse. So, while I wouldn't normally run on a Monday, I decided to go out and do a recovery run this morning, as it's the coolest it'll be for the next few days. Did 6 miles at a gentle plod, HR around 140 for most of it. I think it unlikely I'll run tomorrow but I'm taking this week by how I feel. I will definitely not be doing the scheduled 10 miles with 6 at LT pace. I guess, after yesterday's race, I don't really need to anyway.