P&D Autumn Marathon 2022

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - yep, you dont need that LT run after the race esp if its warm, you could delay it a few days.

Ive been running early to avoid commute runs home after work. 10 yday, and 10 inc 12x3min today. It was still 25 or 26 after todays run at 7.30am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's been crazy hot here in London. I popped to the shops yesterday and it was like opening the oven door.
    My flat was 32.5 degrees when I went to bed so needless to say, I didn't sleep well. The silver lining was that I got to see the athletics live including the 1500m, which was terrific.
    I got a little sleep after that but felt pretty groggy when I woke again at 5am but I decided to go out anyway.  I did 6 miles with 5 at recovery pace and the last one with some strides as I've mile relays on Monday and need to get my legs turning over. There was a nice breeze and the temp's dropped a bit.
    Due to the relays I won't be doing a long run on Sunday so I'll try for a longish one tomorrow.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow, where did everyone go? This thread's as dead as my left glute.

A slow half marathon-length run this morning...no issues with stamina but a grumbling achilles dissuaded me from making the run any longer. That and traffic...had to stop a few times to cross roads, which is why I generally do my longer runs on Sundays. Anyway, miles banked.
  • Still following…….

A decent 10k at Brighton TR, rushing around, even in last weeks heat, takes a bit out.

Likewise, Cal, well done on the 8 miler.  After the draining heat of the last few days that half is a decent effort.

Good to see you are back on it post covid Jools.

Touch wood, starting to feel I’ve turned the corner here.  A hill session last week (45 mile week) walk up, run down, didn’t destroy my quads as much as expected, maybe all the strengthening exercises ?  Then 3 x 1mile last night felt good, the most speed work I’ve done since mid April.  The main thing has been it’s just been good to get out everyday, even in the heat.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good racing TR & impressive training resolve.
    Well done on the 8M PB 😉 Cal.
    I’m in Cornwall & have been for a week. Not much running but probably a good thing with the heat & recent CoViD case. Mount Edgcumbe parkrun again on Saturday was 24s slower than last time (5 years ago) but it was a new course & one of the regulars who finished ahead of me reckoned it’s about a minute slower now. Warmed down with a little of the Easternmost section of the S.Cornish SWCP. 3 days off then a 25M coastal run joining Saturday’s section to my previous Easternmost lump. Just 17.1M left of S.Cornwall now & then Newquay to Hartland on the N.Coast.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's great to hear, Macca!
    Nice one, Jools...so if it's a minute slower but you were only 24 seconds slower yourself, that's a half minute gain. Relatively speaking. :)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - well done on the 1/2 mara. Sounding more positive.

Macca - good that you're on the mend now. Turns out the 10k wasn't as quick a course as i thought, having compared times around me, there was a lot of corners and it was pretty warm, so scope for going quicker, but not sure there'll be any more 10ks this year.

Jools - sounds like youre having more adventures.

Trying to get the marathon training in now, pretty hot 14m home yday and a rare 5 and 5 double today, do my bike is at the right end to run in tomorrow.
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Well done guys and gal.  Envious of that Cornish running! And particularly pleased Macca seems to be on the right side of that injury.

Has anyone done Abingdon?  I remember it being popular and described as pretty fast on this thread years ago - though it talks about most of it not being on closed roads???...  I just entered today because Newport Marathon got cancelled  :(   My guess is that they didn't have enough entries, though they aren't openly admitting that.  It's now moving back to an April date... which clashes with our club's biggest race of the year... so more misfortune!)  Abingdon isn't TOO far away at under 2hrs and good that it's the same day, so not so disruptive.

Running still going well for me. Last Sunday was Monmouth's inaugural Park Run.  I'd been nervous about the laps involved in the course but it worked better than I anticipated.  Should be a fast course so long as congestion is avoided... but I did a 15 mile "warm up" and finished the morning with 20 miles on the clock for the first time in 9 months.  

I managed to start this week with a shortened LT (8m w 3m@LT) on Monday morning, before the worst of the heat really kicked in... and a latish 8 miler on the following evening, just as it was becoming just manageable again.  Up to 30 miles already... can't run tomorrow but hoping to do the 16 w. 10@MP on Sunday.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've heard it's fast but not too interesting, NE...I did spend the most miserable three years of my life living in that neck of the woods (boyfriend at the time got a job out there) and it's flat but foggy and definitely not the nicest part of Oxfordshire. Also not on the train, though not a problem if you're driving. 
    Nice job on the distance and inaugural!
    TR, well done on the hot 14. Not easy.

Today's parkrun was St Albans, which was relatively easy...tube to St Pancras and then a pretty quick train there that only cost a tenner return. However, I did have a 1.5 mile run to the park from the station. Lovely town, if a bit hilly - part of the route went along narrow village-type lanes. Quite charming.
    The parkrun itself is in Verulamium Park, which is home to Roman ruins (though these are covered and you have to pay if you want to see them).
    The park is nice, though - grassy to start (but firm, short grass...mostly brown thanks to the weather) but then moving to path for three laps of a nice lake before heading back to the finish.
    I felt quite good so I adopted a brisk pace, if not flat out, but seems I am stuck around 9 minute pace. I just can't seem to go faster and I don't know if it's physical or psychological. Came in at 27:49 so another time in that ballpark, which is rather disappointing. I still bagged age group 1st so I guess I'll just take the small wins when I can.
    The jog back to the station felt a lot tougher, as what seemed to be a fairly gentle downhill on the way there turned out to be a very long uphill on the way back. But I made the train I was aiming for, which is good.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one cal, is that another one on the total?

NE - ive done Abo a coiple of times, have a number for this yr too. Good race, organised by runners for runners. Decent level, but not too crowded. Parking is easy and starts and finishes on running track. Theres a bit of industrial estate but also quiet lanes and roads, as well as the town centre.

5m yday. Wanted to get a decent long run in today as no long run on the next two weekends. So, 5.5m easy, 11m steady (approx mp+10%), 4.5m easy.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yes, 110th location from 171 runs total.
    Nice job on the run.
    As for Abo, I worked on that industrial estate on and off while temping. Still got a scar from when they made us glue cardboard boxes but neglected to give us protective equipment. Glue burns are nasty.
  • TR - that’s a decent 21, London is probably a bit early for me but you look on track.

NE - I’m an Abo fan.  Summed up well above but I’d add, if you are looking for a time and not worried about the “big city add ons “ then it ticks the boxes.  Yes, some on open roads but traffic is so quiet it doesn’t matter and the low key makes logistics easier, only world would be try to visit a loo in a service station before you get there as queues grow.

Cal - that’s about 3.5 miles from my front door, if fit I could have popped down.  There’s a flat return to the station but never mind, with a regular field of 400ish an age cat 1st is to be applauded.  Shout if ever at Jersey Farm.

Jools - hope to do a bit of the SWCP myself next year, almost unbelievable elevation - comparable to fell running.

10m for me today, a few creaks but no twangs so I’ll take it.  Annual trip to the Lake District next weekend, with more hiking than running, fingers crossed things should be ok.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Looks like I’ll be doing Abo too then NE. I’ve done it twice & had decent runs both times. Need to be self-sufficient with fuelling but plenty of water stations.
    Look forward to running Monmouth’s new parkrun once I’m home. Cracking training btw.
    Decent enough Cal. You’re catching me up for venues - think I’m on 156 out of 462.
    Good to see some double digit runs from Macca this week.
    Another 18 miles of Cornish coast path to complete S.Cornwall yesterday meant parkrun was always going to be tough. Returning to Lanhydrock which is the 8th toughest according to RB/Po10 made it extra so. Very happy to get a course PB on their latest (post-CoViD) course. Rather than finishing 70’ below the start it now starts & finishes in the same place. My PB was set in 2014 when my Garmin measured only 3.01M too rather than 3.13 today so that’s a double win.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Macca, I need to do Jersey Farm (for my J...as well as to fill in a hole in my parkrun map). Was supposed to be meeting a friend from Herts but things keep getting in the way. I'll let you know when I finally go, though.
    Oh and I did wonder what "Snorbens" was from your comment on my Strava, until I figured it out. :lol: Reminds me of my late mother who had a job in Croydon for a while and heard a couple of girls talking about some mysterious Fort Neef. :lol:

5 recovery today (got my 1 mile relays tomorrow...most fun event of the year...so did my longest run Thursday instead) and just about to go volunteer at junior parkrun. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - another one on the total then, enjoy the relays.

Macca - 10m is a good benchmark, enjoy the lakes. Defo hoping to be ready for london after the spring being a write off.

Jools - 18m on the swcp sounds tough. Nice on on the parkrun. What number is QE country park just north of me ? Ive an evening XC race on Wednesday evening.

Good point re Abo, macca nissed the start in 2019 due to portaloo queues, i made the start by about 1min in 2018 due to the queues, but i arrived earlier in 2019 (7.30ish) and beat those queues........if my legs are ok after london i intend to give Abo a go, as im hoping to do brighton and London 3 weeks apart in April (if i get a vlm gfa).

Turbo day today.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    32nd TR.
    Rolling 10M yesterday & a hilly 21M today bagging trigs to the East of Okehampton. My legs are toast.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - 24 is quite low, although i dont know which parts of the country park it uses. Real big miles being done at yr end.

Only 5m instead of the usual mlr yday as i was so smoked, upped todays intended 5 and 5 to 8 and 6 so i at least made the missing mlr distance even if it was over 2 runs.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice job, Jools!

So the mile relays. I'd not been feeling all that great (slight scratchy throat and not exactly ill but not quite well either...and still feel the same today) But I put on my big girl pants and ran the three miles to Battersea Park, after which I felt a bit better. I very much enjoyed the event but was disappointed to run 8:02, which put me very close to the bottom on individual times (285/294) and was slower than the Westminster Mile in May. It's an out and back course and I think I was just too cautious on the outward leg.
    The other annoying thing was I tried to get a vets team going, but turns out you all have to be over 50 and there was a 40s woman in my team so we just counted as a regular mixed team. Not that we'd have been particularly competitive, either way. Ah well.
    Resting today - hope this malaise blows over.
    Thanks for the added abo details TR, Macca. 
    Hope you’re ok Cal. Maybe something took the edge off you. 
    Jools - good grief! Some tough running. 

Ended up last week with 43 miles but couldn’t do the pacy 16 w. 10@MP on Sunday but went for it today.  Aimed 7:37 pace. In short, I did 5m warm up then ran out of puff at 9.3m into the MP bit - just couldn’t finish it off - though on the plus side, I averaged 7:31 for those. I am a long long way from keeping that up for 26…. but  still time to progress- really chuffed to be in with a shout. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - good that you enjoyed it, id just be getting going and itd be stop time.

NE - 9m is still decent, you'll be better next time having done the 9m.

XC was a trail race at local country park on the south downs. Started off a bit slowly really and was making way through but lost control on a chalky downhill and decided to ease off a bit when required, chances of AG win drifted away then, similar on another couple of descents through the forest with marshall warnings of mind the tree roots, turned my ankle a bit, swore a bit and eased off. Good blast but ridiculously hilly.  Decided coming out of it unscathed if possible was wise. 10m with wu and wd. Trophy and choccies for 2nd m50. Hips and ankles were sore, but surprisingly good during 6m commute in today.
    Sounds fun that, TR!

A slow, pleasant club run of about 6m last night - followed by 4 (FOUR) pints of beer. That’s a month’s drinking done in one night 🙈
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    NE, I guess you deserved it after that 16/10. Good effort.
    TR, runs like that scare the pants off me. I can't do downhills, especially when they're technical. There are a couple of technical downs in the Wimbledon Trail series and I always end up walking them. 

I've felt under the weather most of the week so took Tuesday and Wednesday off. (I'd like to think this is also the reason I failed to crack 8 minutes on Monday, although I know deep down it isn't). Yesterday I did a low HR 6 mile plod which felt OK, and today got out for a "normal" paced 8. Today's run was a bit less satisfactory as my still SI joint was causing trouble with my right hip and leg (hammy and achilles both felt quite grumpy) despite having done half an hour of exercises before I even went out. Little bastard.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    NE - well, running is thirsty work so needs must.

Cal - hopefully you can find a way to loosen that joint up. Hockey ball ? Roller?

10m today, legs have a bit of doms appearing but only notice it on downhills.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Tried all of those and the Theragun...it's been an issue for a long while though, hence actually spending money on a mobility plan (which I'm following). 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My plans to go to Stevenage parkrun today were scuppered by the train strike, but Southern was still running so I went to Tilgate instead, which had been a funny shaped hole in my map for a while. Lovely park but had a couple of hills so not my best time: 28:13. Like last week, there was also a 1.5 mile jog each way to/from the station, though thankfully it wasn't as hilly as St Albans.
    I did bump into a parkrunner I'd met pre-pandemic at a very wet Ifield Mill Pond, so we had some fizzy pop at the cafe afterwards. Nice to catch up.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Humidity...ugh. Made everything feel so much harder.
    I had 18 miles in mind for today but after being a bit poorly earlier in the week and nursing a grumpy right leg (that sticky SI joint is causing problems) I figured 16 would be OK.
    I felt reasonably perky after my first gel at 5 miles but then started to struggle a bit around 8 miles in. Achilles was being a little sod and right ham was starting to feel the strain as well.
    Took a salty gel at mile 10 which helped a little but didn't really solve the right leg issues. Decided at that point 16 miles would be enough, but when I finally got through 16 I was a bit more than half a mile from home so decided I might as well go to 17.
    That was a tough run. Glad it's done.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the parkrun and 17m cal

Im away in sth devon, so no long run as i can't sneak off for a few hours, but 10m yday inc 14x3min, and a progressive 10m today, in some pretty quiet lanes.
     You’re having to tough it out Cal. Take care. 
    And enjoy those beautiful undulating Devon lanes TR. 

Tootling along pretty well again this week.  Getting some consistency over quite a number of weeks now and although not feeling particularly pacy, I am feeling pretty good and lighter on my feet. Hilly 8 by head-torch last night.  Need to get double figures in today. Just a matter of how much time I have available between daytime family stuff and the big match tonight. 
    edited August 2022
    Well, Germany robbed me of my first 50 mile week for ages - if they had had the good grace to beat England, I would have been able to do the 18 I needed.
    As it was, I didn’t set off until 9.10pm - and ran very steadily in zone2 HR and spent time looking to find glow worms, that I haven’t seen for several years. Got home at 00:20 with 16.1m on my watch, so settled for a 48m week. That’s quite a rare total in my life. Going pretty well. 

Edit- I tried to post a picture of the single glow worm that I was delighted to find - but I can’t get it to post. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Whereabouts in Devon TR? Nice trail racing btw.
    Good parkrunning & LR Cal.
    Some decent consistency there NE.
    More hilly Mid-Devon midweek miles for me with 11/10/9. Just 3.3M (but 517’ of climbing!) Friday in East Devon en route to a weekend of football/netball, camping & partying on Portland.
    ParkRun in Dorchester on Saturday saw me back under 20 minutes for 1st time since CoViD wu & cd turned that into 10K. Then an hour of netball, 3.6M coastal walk followed by a late night drinking & dancing. Sunday’s LR was just a dozen round the Isle of Portland but felt like helluva lot more 😆
    Easy 9K this afternoon was very sweaty 🥵