Monday 25th July - down, down, you bring me down

chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
Lyrics - down, down, you bring me down. I hear you knocking down my door and I can't sleep at night

Saturday's lyrics were Turn! Turn! Turn! by The Byrd's 

Pretty tired over the weekend. Slept 9 hours in Saturday, didn't run. Slept another 9 hours on Sunday - didn't fancy going for a run before work but needed to do it, and ended up having a good run. 15 miles in just under 2 hours.

40 miles total for the week. Planning a cut back week this week as I've had 4 weeks in a row building the mileage, plus I'll be in Birmingham for half the week and can't leave the 7 year old in his own to go running

I'll catch up on the weekend posts/activities later

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning! 

Lyrics: no

Yesterday's were The Streak, Ray Stevens.

Hope you are soon better, OH. Well done to Els at the 10k.

Decent month's training banked, Chamolk!

What: will see what the legs decide

Why: usually M77 on a Monday but we are running on Wednesday instead

Wet again.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Chamolk - decent weekly tally, like wise you too Ale.
    Chick - excellent weekend double long 
    Hazel - nice one with the HM harder effort
    OH - rest up and recover quickly
    Els - solid run with that 10k

What - not much 
    Why - broken
    last rest - 11/06
    last hard - yesterday
    Mentioned a trail marathon near me (Devil's Punchbowl) that I'd entered after my club's trail race in June.
    Mile or so walk to the start , and temperatures already starting to climb (race is called the Big Heat, very apt.)
    Terrain was pretty tough, plenty of sandy tracks, others with broken stone, tangled roots and naturally a few bits of road and runnable path. 
    Clipped a tree root after less than 800m (you may see a theme developing), then after 3k, followed a crowd of runners down a narrow path. After 1/3rd mile the guy at the front stopped, nobody behind us...Ran back up the hill and picked up the correct path....so a bonus half mile added.
    Wasn't pushing the pace, but the terrain, and rising temperatures dictated that. 
    Course split at 7-8 miles (there is a shorter 16 mile race), when the field slimmed down quite a bit. So from running in a bunch, it became very isolated. Out over MoD land (target practice going on - I may have run quicker here...), then some undulating tracks thru halfway. 
    Brutal climb and equally steep descent around 14 miles, and by the time I got to 18/19 miles the legs were feeling decidedly heavy. Back past the feed station at the earlier point where the course split , and pace fell off a cliff with more walking than running. Some dictated by the terrain: more MoD land that was just sand. 
    Even with the much slower run/walk, only 3 people went past me in the last 7 miles. 
    Managed to hit a hidden root thru the sand, fortunately the landing was soft.
    Joined a couple of runners around 22-23 and it became more walking than running but picked up to a steadier amble around 25 miles. Clipped another rock and split the knee open , more a jolt to the system than anything else. Decided to amble in very cautiously after that... 
    Finished just under 5:30 and distance 27.5 miles, 40th out of 85, winner did 4.08.
    Washed all the sand off, then a sorry mile or so trudge back to the car.
    One of the toughest runs I have ever done. Was in bits yesterday afternoon although stairs OK today and done some walking to work (back in London)

That's me done for long runs until the London plan starts in November/December

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Morning

Sorry Els: missed your 10k must have cross-posted with OH - well done! 

Jealous of your 9+9 hours of sleep chamolk - I likely only managed 4-5 max last night again.  Good timing for your cut-back week.  15 miles in sub 2 hours is decent too!

Good lyrics choice yesterday Ale. 

What: 13k with 6 x short hills (faster jog rather than sprint) and 6 x easy strides
    Why: less effort on the speedwork bits this week as was tired and slight quad niggle on the right
    Last hard: sleep
    Last rest: 23.07.22

Lyrics: no
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again! Great report and well toughed out, Dustin! Hope the damaged bits soon heal!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Grrrr - more cross-posting.. 

Well done and great report indeed Dustin!  I wanted to ask you if you were going to take part in that mara after you mentioned it a few weeks ago.  Ouch to the falls.   Hope you won't be too sore the next few days.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Wow, Dustin - that sounds pretty epic. And a bit like the terrain for my ultra 😬
    Hopefully those injuries aren't too bad.
    4 weeks to go for me.

Feel better, OH and huge well done,  Els.

Speedy 15, chamolk 👍🏻

Fingers crossed you keep those niggles at bay, Hazel.

Hot again today 🥵 but it's a rest day anyway. 20k on the bike done.
    Wish I could go for a swim but our lake is infested with nasty pond life 🤢
    Some larvae that can only survive in water snails but are too dumb to tell the difference between a snail and a human. They're not harmful but can cause skin rash.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Afternoon!

Hope the niggle doesn't develop into anything worse, Hazel! I'm sitting on a spiky ball to try to beat my glute/top of hamstring into submission!

I wouldn't fancy a swim in that either, Chick!

What: a much quicker run that usual, just over half an hour

Why: I set off and within minutes it was like running in the shower. I think that I must have got a move on!