Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    TR - Good race mate. 

SQ - Keep at it! You really need to get used to track running, so different to road. A couple of years ago I was in the same 3000m open as a guy running 14.45 5k, when I was doing 16.15's. I ran 8.58 and he ran 8.49 - he hadn't run on the track for quite a while and it shows. I had no right to be only 9 secs slower. More on the session later..

The NB rebels are fine for both track and tarmac. I just need more support if I run on the tarmac track over the road. I won't race in them, but good for reps.

TT - Hope it clears up soon anyway..

SG - Nice 200 session, likewise the 800 PMJ.

As expected, session at Luton last night was a killer, 5 x (600,400,300,200). Horrible when trying to get fit again. The 600's were really hard, slowly got them down to 1.52's, 400's around 70's. Thankfully the 300's and 200's felt easier, around 51's and 32/33's for the 200.

800m on Sunday, running for Eastern masters at Nuneaton in the inter area match. Probably aim for 65 first lap and try to hang on. 
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

That is one heck of a session, SC. 9k of quality and at some speed. Thanks for the info on the NB Rebels. Similar to Adios? 

Sounds like you were in the zone for your session, SG. Just going to track does help with that, I find. 

Today has indeed been a rest day - got to listen to the body on the odd occasion I suppose. Just seen that tomorrow’s ‘flat’ half has 600ft climbing!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice set of reps there SG.

SQ, nice track racing, not sure I'd fancy racing all those kids!

Interesting bike ride for me at lunch today, was on the gravel bike and ended up in the Chilterns so took an unplanned bridleway towards Great Wood not far from Hambledon. I startled some animal, I was expecting a deer but then I realised it only had two legs, I was like 'that's a fucking kangaroo, actually it's not quite big enough, it must be those smaller Wallaby things.'

It stopped in the ferns and just stared at me, so I took a few pics but didn't hang around having seen videos of cyclists getting booted by roos! I wasn't sure if I was seeing things but a quick google suggests there are a few of them about SE England.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Good spot Reg. I had no idea there were wild wallabies in the UK!
    I can't imagine it'll take you long to get your speed back doing sessions like that SC! Good luck for the 800.
    14 earlier. 11 easy (bar two long uphill surges) with the last 3+ 'brisk'. Legs up watching the Commonwealth Marathons now. Can't believe the men's winner was sent the wrong way on one part late on - seemed like an obvious place to put a marshal. I'd imagine there'll be one there by the time the women come around to it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Reg, and must have been a more extreme double take than my "is that an owl?" out in the day when I got to Windsor a couple of weeks ago (apparently you get these smaller day time owls :D ).

There's always been talk of "the Beast of Bucks", down this way due to a few spottings every so often of big cats suspected to be pumas or suchlike!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TT - sounds madness for there to be any prospect of a wrong turn at that level of race.
    Good distance for you this morn.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Thought I would pop in! I know there was mention of youngsters running quickly...last week a really small ten year old girl ran 18:17 at parkrun. Not a fluke as the previous couple of weeks she had run 18:36 and 18:48 on different courses!

I keep telling SG to get up here to the Sale Sizzlers: 50 under 17 minutes this week, with 188 under 20! And several people say the course measures long, although it has been officially wheeled. 

Good start to the football season, SG?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    It’s thought the wallabies escaped from a private zoo in the Fawley estate nearby. All sorts of exotic animals escape. Years ago I was paddling in an inflatable kayak with my kids at Hurley and we came across a Capybara no more than 5 ft from us! That was pretty freaky!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Aley, that Sizzler would be nice to try one day, but it's just such an awkward time slot.
    Would need a 3hour + drive on the day and a 1 1/2 day off work.

That other fast north west 5k is on a Friday, which is better, but again would need the long drive on the same day, and annoyingly the next one is when Wycombe are at home the next day :D 

I suspected at the time I did that Podium one, which was a Bank Holiday morning start, and synched up with 2 footy games staggered beautifully on the same day, that such perfect timing was once a decade stuff.

Like when Wycombe played Portsmouth away the day before the Easteligh 10k! 

Wycombe off and rolling nicely against one of the weaker teams.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    13miler today, and I chose basis of the route while sat at Wycombe's ground yesterday, wanting to do the route behind the ground properly this time.

Took the correct first right this time, and it's a moderate climb actually, as there must be a decent elevation through the initial field.
    Steep climb is the bit up to the view I have from my seat each week, and eventually emerged 75% up Toweridge after following a footpath down some woods.

Traipsed back up and then did the reverse of the "Out", and finished with 13 for just under 8 min miling, and utterly sodden clothing - made sure I quickly got 4 or 5 drinks of water on board asap.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    13 miles for me too today. I always think 13 is the shortest to count as a “proper” long run! My first since early May. Boy was it humid!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly that Bus, which is why I quickly dismissed the idea of "only" doing 12 and bargaining it as having much harder miles in there than a usual long run :D 

Taking the kit off after is always a great humidity tester. If it slaps to the floor weighing about 5 times more than it is dry, you just know!

If Jools is knocking about - I recommend not driving up the Murder Mile route, and instead take the longer, less severe route that sees you approach the pub from the top.

Having done both versions, I can't recommend this enough -the first year I almost burnt my clutch to bits, and you could smell it strongly in the parking field - assuming that was only me!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Well done on the long run Bus, good to see some progress

Hope the half went well SQ

Swaety weather for longish runs SG, lovely, much preferable to the january and February 20 milers.

Nice one on the wallaby spotting. We were in Surrey for cricket once and the trees were full of parakeets, amazing what's out there.

Im in sth devon for the week, so no sneaking off for a long run, but did 10m inc 14x3min yday and 10m progressive today. We're stayimg in a bit of a dip though and its a stupidly steep first mile.
  • Reg, as Bus says, most likely escaped from Fawley Hill: http://fawleyhill.co.uk

The website says: We don’t approve of “cages”.

If it was in Great Wood, it has crossed into the neighbouring Culden Faw Estate. 

Solid 13 miler bus: I am in the same position and have lengthened the long run up to 12 but need to get back to 13 and longer on a Sunday but as SG says, the humidity is a killer and I am already scaring people with the nipple chaffing as I forget to apply Vaseline in the summer. 

I did parkrun on Saturday and it was all a bit odd. Started out not at all feeling the love for it and within 400 metres or so I had decided to turn the wick down and take it steady but went through the first mile faster than I had done all year (6:52) and ended up with 21:41 which is my second fastest for the year (21:36 at a pancake flat Bideford at the end of April). I went to https://www.runbritainrankings.com/ for solace, hoping it would show the improvement but that seems screwed up, so gives Bideford 2.0 SSS against 1.2 for Wycombe. At least it has ranked the two hilly ones I've done recently as harder.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    SG - totally crazy for it to happen at that level. As predicted there was a marshal (and cones) in place by the time the women reached the same part. Women's race was great incidentally. Stenson turned the screw perfectly throughout.

ale - that's bloody impressive from the 10 year old! I've got days where I'd struggle to hit that at the moment! I hope you're keeping well?

Bus/SG - I only ran 5 yesterday and that was enough in that humidity. Kudos for the 13s!

We're inundated with red kites after a programme to reintroduce them to the wild years ago was more successful than was probably anticipated, and the country park on my doorstep has got all sorts - parakeets, budgies, and apparently a cockatoo, to go with the usual herons, kingfishers, muntjac, etc. Though the huge stag that just appeared out of the undergrowth a couple of weeks ago was particularly impressive (and unusual for the park).
  • TippTop said:

We're inundated with red kites after a programme to reintroduce them to the wild years ago was more successful than was probably anticipated.
    They were released onto the Wormsley Estate near Ibstone (owned by the Getty family) sometime at the end of the 80's or the start of the 90's (the exact date varies so I assume a few were failed starts). I was running through the estate yesterday and they are pretty much established and commonplace: I remember a run through there over 20 years ago when I saw three at the same time and it was an unusual occurrence. 
  • The Parakeets are everywhere in South and West London. At Perivale when we go there for the masters the trees are full of them! There were a few at Tooting Bec on Saturday too. Legend is they escaped from Kew Gardens decades ago.

Really mucky weekend for running, warm and yukky. The lad did ok in his 1200m - previous PB 4.23, so suggested trying for 80's and see what happens. Spot on 80 for the first lap, 86 for the 2nd, and 83 for the last one for a 4.09. Missus was the track judge for that YDL meeting, so a long day.

Yesterday was Nuneaton for the Masters Inter area. Knew the v50 superstars weren't there, but lost some fitness, so would be interesting. Apart from those 2, the other person I knew would give me a race was Rob from TVH - who I usually beat by 3-4 secs or so in our battles in Southern Vets league races. Spotted Rob before the start and had a word. His excuse was he had just got off a flight from Mauritius, mine was the injury!

Really warm warming up, didn't feel too bad. Set off in fourth with Rob in the lead, me 4th. By 300m I was around the other 2 and in behind Rob. Bell at about 66...so up the back straight, could feel I was getting tired - but tried to get round Rob at 200m to go (the usual tactic in the league races) but the legs weren't having it sadly. So trailed in behind him for about 2.12. Last 800 was 2.08, so definitely lost a bit.

At least a run out I suppose. More work to do.
  • Good to see some 13 milers Bus, SG and almost from PMJ, and couldn’t agree more that yesterday was so humid. Zero difference in my sweat rate post shower. 

Where are you, TR. it was certainly very hilly for us nearish Modbury. 

Good going at parkrun, PMJ. I loosely wondered whether my race venue might have a nicely timed parkrun for a warm up but alas not. 

Sounds a promising race post injury, SC. 

Met my friend at Draycote Water on Saturday morning for the half marathon. 10am start meant for easy logistics and drive there. Also a 10k and 5k taking place an hour or so after the half as seems to be the mode Runthrough operate. 

The course is an out and back and then 2 x 4.7M laps of the reservoir. Sort of flat, but actually lots of little ups and down that would soon start to bite. Road surface the whole way and mostly in good condition. As you might expect from a route encompassing a sailing and windsurfing club - windy in places!

Runthrough are clearly aimed at attracting beginners and good on them for doing it so well. Certainly not an old school running event (which I love, and generally prefer), but it was very welcoming. Free photos straight after the event. 

From the start, it seemed there would be a narrow front end. Settled into 3rd - 7th, with the top two quickly pulling away on the out and back, the winner eventually running 75 minutes. 

Stuck with my mate for the first 6M sharing the workload into the wind with one or two others. Never really lost sight of him, but he did gradually pull away to put 60s into me. 

Having to work hard from 10M but was very keen to get back under 1h25. Seemed like I had 21 mins to do the final 5k, but was slowing to about 6:35-40s by now. 

Caught the 5k runners at this point and was lapping some doing the half. Overtaken by the top two 10k participants, and tried to draft wherever possible. The wind was very strong by now. 

Photos reveal me having pulled out the sprint hands very early, and I was having to use the old count to ten trick for the last mile. One of those tough, dead straight, headwind, can see the gantry far too early finishes. 

Crossed in 1:24:41 for fifth, which felt like a good return for a windy race with 380ft ascent. Delighted for my mate to claim third, although sadly no formal recognition at a prize giving for him. 

Three mile warm down to make an 18M morn then treated myself to a pot of Earl Grey whilst watching the remainder of the race. Decadence! 

Have pulled the trigger and entered Abingdon. Have also pushed the boat out and ordered some Endorphin Pro 2, seemingly good value at £106 with various codes and discounts. Anyone worn them?

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    PMJ - good to see you parkrun again

SC - onwards and upwards, wasnt long ago that you were hobbling about.

SQ - well done on the 1/2, shows sub3 shape. Is that the mate you paced before? Well done on entering Abo in time. I havean original pair of Speeds (similar to Pro), i found them a bit narrow and they only have 10m on them, had them a couple of years too. When my last pair of nike zoom flynits are done for I'll use the speeds for sessions, but i find them narrow which would stop me buying any Pro.......we are nearer Honiton, very close to Dorset and Somerset.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I ran round there on Friday TR: Widworthy Hill.
    Cracking HM SQ & a decent mile - matched my PB.
    Decent racing & training from you too SC. My mate was at Nuneaton yesterday too. He won the V50 3,000m with a 67” final lap
    Thanks for the heads-up SG. I signed up last week so definitely be there. Unfortunately my recent hill running (73M & over 9,000’ last week) has resulted in a sore left foot & Achilles so my race is likely to be disappointing.
    Managed to get back under 20 at parkrun on a hot & dusty trail 3-lapper with 40’ of climbing each lap. Much easier than the previous 2: Mount Edgcumbe & Lanhydrock which are both in the top 10 toughest in the country! Ideal post-CoViD courses 😆
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - we were close by, i was running only about 3 miles from there on saturday. You have some cracking adventures.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jools - you'll be 4 or 5mins slower than your usual mile race pace I guarantee :D 

Simon - I misread that as you doing the last 800m in this current race at 2.08 for a second!

PMJ - All signs suggest you're back on the up, and even the desire for races rousing again - great stuff.

SQ - Abingdon always used to sell out really early, assume you being able to enter easily this far into the year is another sign of the post pandemic dip in numbers.

Sesh 4 of the 5k plan, which is another 200m sesh, but this time at 1500 effort.

The 16x200 ( i did 18x200) at 3k was last week, off 60seconds.
    This was 10x200 ( i did 12x200) at 1500 is off 90secs.

Allowed the step up in pace, so the 12 came out as 2x32xx and 10x33.
    Bang on really.

I noticed one of the 32xx was actually 32.03 so could have slipped into the 31xx with a tiny bit more, or quicker watch to eye co-ordination :D 

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Running with Style that is SG. Its like runners like us, go too fast and bits start falling off ;)

Good race SQ - The weather is horrible for running at the moment

Jools - Decent last lap. I was pleased I didn't have to do it tbh. I found out I was supposed to do the 400m too but the team manager just emailed me about the 800m! My training partner Rob was 2nd in the 35's 3000m he was just slower than 9.00.

Windy today - going to do some hills.
  • Good speed again, SG. Suspect Abo hasn’t sold out as London is on at a similar time. Usually Abo is pretty much the main South fast autumn marathon. 

TR - yes Ben I have paced elsewhere. Impressive progression. Although I’d hope so given he pays a coach for an in person session once a week. 

Hope the Achilles in ok soon, Jools. Will you spend a single night at home this hols?!

First of the BAC 12 sessions today: 3 x 10 minute at approx tempo off 2 minute jog. Planned for later morning, but circumstances led to a very impromptu 0530 start. Nothing if not flexible!

Headed to the grass track so converted to 3 x 2.4k off 400 jogs. Obviously a bit slower than perfect road, so thought six laps would be close enough. 

9:48, 43, 48. About 6:25 mile pace. Slightly slower than ideal, but good enough with Saturday’s race still slightly in the legs. 

Something very satisfying about doing a prescribed session - no debating, no willingness for extras. All in 10M at 7 min mile pace. Enjoyed it. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I guess Abo loses its appeal slightly as an Autumn marathon when directly up against London! Nice sessions SG/SQ. Fingers crossed with the Achilles Jools.

Couldn't have picked a stickier day for a double now could I? Felt hot and sweaty enough this morning, so not massively looking forward to the run home in a bit! This morning was a decent enough progression run though, with a last couple of miles that almost pass for speedwork!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done SQ, thats a decent starter session, nicely under sub3 pace. I looked last week and it was the 10x5min or a mixed tempo session if doing London.

I had an Abo 2020 pace they contacted me about earlier in the year, they wanted to refund it, i wanted to defer but they weren't sure if 2022 would happen due to the amount of alternatives in the Autumn, so i said they could keep the money for club funds etc then they decided to put on a 2022 race after all. They have a big catchment area and its a well run race. I want to try to run Brighton and London 3 weeks apart in April, so a good trial run would be to run abo 3 wks after London in October.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    That could work Jools.
    Pressure free, unusual distance, not too far away from the Murder Mile vicinity, scenery, and a good start time of 1215 meaning no early wake up.

If you're up for it, I probably am.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it's nearly 5 years since we did Abo, SQ. 

Decent 200s SG, sure we'll see a 31 soon. Talk of grass tracks reminds me the local school has one that's easy to jump on and use and with the dry weather, it's probably quite fast at the moment.

Seems quite likely then that the Wallaby was a Fawley escapee, which kind of spoils the discovery somewhat :-)

Saw the physio yesterday, running no longer forbidden but still need to take it easy. Did 25 minutes yesterday and 45 this morning, back is not great but not awful either.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    That's interesting PMJ. The story I was told was that there were a breeding pair (or pairs) released into Palmer Park and it went from there. PP always seemed an unlikely location, so Wormsley Estate sounds more plausible.

SC - 2:12 is not bad seen as you're unfit I suppose..... ;) Well done.

SQ - nicely executed HM. It sounds like you recovered quickly if you could manage that session 4 days later.

SG - good speed!

Great news Reg. Take your time though.