Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian - Nice mileage. Nothing in the diary until big half on the 4th of September still. Couldn’t find anything to suit timing wise especially with hols coming up. Probably a good thing to let whatever this hammy is settle and I’m very much enjoying this MAF only build. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Went for a nice, but challenging, walk yesterday but otherwise just relaxed at the site. 

Tigg’s enjoying the morning sun today :) 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I had completely forgotten about the doorbell incident 🤣.   I remember the watch/Haile interview, cringingly embarrassing to watch.

A very good week's training for you too.

Rcouture - I think Mo is doing the Big Half too.

Big G - lovely pic of a contented dog.

7ish miles this morning, nice and fresh out, had a good run.   

It was 7 ish miles as my Garmin is playing up and driving me mad, it reset itself last week and now I can't get it to work properly, today it wouldn't measure my run.   It's just coming up to 3 years old so just about the usual time for a Garmin to last, for me anyway.   I will probably buy another 45 as they're about £100 now and there aren't any features in the newer and more expensive models that are of any use to me.  

Gym later
  • Wasn't there a group who looked into alleged cheating who called themselves Mo Farah's Doorbell? :lol:

Big G, that's a lovely photo of Tigg.

Shades, go for the 55. The battery is way better (20 hours and charges really quickly compared to the 45).

No run today (even though the new shoes came yesterday) as it's a rest day - I'd already done four days in a row which is one more than normal. 
    I also had a very restless night, but this was due to the heat and humidity rather than from the run. I actually made myself take a cold bath after my run yesterday and my legs are so much less sore. When I tried a cold bath the first time, I made the mistake of just running it and trying to get in, which lead to complete failure. :lol:
    This time I sat in the empty bath and ran the cold shower over my feet and shins and let the bath fill slowly. That worked a lot better. (Still gave my top half a warm shower, though!) May try to keep up with this but suspect I'll struggle in winter.

Anyway, my gym has reopened. Apparently it reopened on the 16th (which, to be fair, was when they said it would, but given the extensive rebuilding, no one really believed that). Thing was they didn't email people to let them know it was open again so I only found out by remembering that it ought to be open and checking the website. Ho hum. Least I didn't get charged for July.
    It is a bit bigger now (they knocked through one of the old changing rooms) and has some new equipment,  but most of the old equipment, including some favourites, has gone. Bit annoyed to see some of the changes but also pleased they've added a back extension bench and a Smith machine. Did a conservative full body workout to try out the new stuff without giving myself raging DOMS. Of course, I will probably have DOMS anyway after a month off.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I don't need 20 hours battery life, I don't wear it all day, just for my run and if I go the gym.   My 45 charges in 15-20 minutes, so not sure it would be worth paying extra.   

Shoe delivery on a Sunday, that's quick  :)

Well done on the legs recovering, but there's no evidence that a cold bath with help your recovery any more than a warm bath so not worth the effort.   Unless you enjoy the pain  ;)   After a long run/race I treat myself to Chanel bath stuff, a bit of pampering helps too.   :)

Good news on the gym reopening.   I use the Smith machine.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - Hope you enjoy the invincibles

Shades - How are you getting on with the Novas?

More shoe news. I’ve ordered endorphin speed 2 on discount as v3 is released. Added to usual sportshoes sale and it’s basically 50% off. They’re my favourite long run shoe and my V1 have 350mi on them and starting to look a bit dodgy. Only downside is they’re a lurid orange colour. 

Rest day today. 
  • Oh right Shades. Mine charges pretty much instantly, when I plug it into my PC to upload. I do wear it all day and night, as a watch, and usually record more than one activity per day. 
    As far as the baths go, I definitely prefer bubbles and/or epsom salts but what with the gas prices, I think those will be an occasional treat in the future.

Nothing wrong with lurid colours, Rcouture.  :D
    My new shoes are a nice teal colour though. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I'm liking the Nova 2's a lot.   I haven't done loads of runs in them yet as I like to rotate my shoes.  I still haven't done a very hilly run in them as I still feel that I need to get used to them a little more.  I've noticed that they feel a little unstable on uneven ground but less noticeable on each run.  The very good news is that they do make me run faster at the same HR 😊. Wonder if that's linked to using glutes more 😮

Congrats on great deal on the Endorphin Speeds, I have looked at the Endorphin range but not sure if they'll suit as some reviews say they are a bit narrow in the forefoot.  Do you find them a good fit?

On Garmin news I checked the settings on my PC and the Run activity is disabled and it won't let me change it.   I did fiddle around with the other settings and managed to record in Run mode my walk to the gym.  So hope it will work for tomorrow's run   I also checked around the various forums and found a few with the same problems, some were unresolved so I'll order another one this week.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - I haven’t noticed instability on the Nova but maybe the base widens a bit with use? The endorphins are indeed quite narrow, fortunately I have slim and elegant feet unlike the rest of me. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-I forgot the big half,think you'll do good there.Ref the instability,you're used to running in Invincibles so any should feel more stable.
    I nearly bought some more shoes as I got a discount email off Keller,but I really need to use some of the many pairs I've got still,some unused.
    11.5 after work today,heart rate felt fine,but legs felt very tired,probably the cumulative build up now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I charge my phone every day and that takes at least twice as long as my Garmin.   I only use the run activity on my Garmin.

Luckily I have Economy 7 and my water heats up every night and not expensive, so I can have a hot bath every morning.
    Not prepared to sacrifice that, nor my heating due to increasing prices.  In my old age I like to keep warm 😉

Teal is a lovely colour for shoes.  Test run tomorrow I guess 😀

Rcouture - my feet aren't that big but they are not elegant and slim and I need a generous toe box.

When I go to Dublin marathon I'm going to take a list of shoes I want to try on, some I'll be able to do at the Expo, others in the running shops.

I am a heel striker so maybe that's why I feel a bit of instability in the Novas as that's where the chunkiest part of the cushioning is.
  • Shades, not once but twice with the doorbell 😆 

Cal I quite like teal, got a pair on now! 

Rcouture never been too bothered if the price is right on shoes, even said I don’t like black shoes but bought some kayanos at a decent price last year.

big G tigg looks like he’s living a dogs life 😊 

ian great mileage on a Monday!

3.5 miles after work, seem to feel fine and recovery okay, just need to build slowly after not much running for 2 months and covid

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I really like black shoes, particularly black with a little bit of white.    :)   

I have a old pair of Mizuno's, they're purple.   Never really thought much about the colour but when I retired them from running, they'd done 500 miles, I decided I'd use them for gym wear.   I put them through the washing machine and as with most Mizuno's they don't show their age and look brand new.   For a few months I've been wearing them to the gym and shopping/casual wear and I've had loads of compliments about my lovely 'new' shoes,   They are quite a bright purple, I never noticed that when using them for running.

You can't force your return to running post Covid, just have to do what you're comfortable with.

6 miles this morning.   Very difficult conditions, like running in a sauna, 98% humidity when I went out and had only dropped to 96% when I got home with a feels like temperature of 23.   Good news though, my Garmin worked and recorded my run OK, won't pair with phone, but I've given up trying as not essential.

• Shades, good news the Garmin works now but if it does it again but lets you record a walk, you can record your run as that and then change it in Garmin Connect. I do that with my strength training as my watch doesn't have a strength training option, so I record it as something else (yoga or cardio) then change it after I've uploaded it. Of course that is a bit annoying as I have to then also change it in Strava, too.

New shoes today! (And yes, also humid. Apparently it'll be 30 again later, blech). They feel really squashy to walk in, but that's less noticeable when running. I suppose that's because I walk heel first (like your Novas, Shades, they have a lot of squashy cushion at the back) but I land on the forefoot when running. I just did an 8 mile easy run and they are very comfortable. They certainly don't feel snappy or responsive so I'll stick with them for easy runs only, but I like them so far. Enjoyed the run, although the achilles is still pretty grumpy. I don't suppose that's going to vanish anytime soon.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I just checked my Garmin device and still has the Run option blanked out.   I thought I'd got it to work again yesterday which is why I walked to the leisure centre using Run mode as a test.    I will still order another Garmin as it's not right, might leave it to next week.   I wouldn't need to change mode from walk to run as I don't use Strava and I don't record walks on Garmin Connect, deleted the trip to the leisure centre yesterday.  I do put my walk time on my training spreadsheet but it's not part of my weekly mileage stats. 

That's a good first run in your new shoes.   Your achilles may have been a little more grumpy as adjusting to the new shoes can cause tenseness in the muscles.

Not going to be 30 here but another sticky humid night ahead of us 🥵.   Not good weather for sleeping (or running).  ;)

Hoping to get to the gym later, just awaiting delivery time notification for a parcel arriving today.  :#
  • Oh no, what I meant was, if the run option doesn't work, use the walk option and then change it to a run in Garmin connect. It'll have all the correct data as it's the same for both (aside from fancy stuff like ground contact and stuff which our watches are too basic to record anyway).

My achilles is grumpy because it's been that way for a while...new shoes haven't changed that.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Came home yesterday, stopping at a couple of places on the way, so it was a nice trip back. There’s a new steakhouse opened in town so we went to try that last night, and it was very good. 

Very humid on this morning’s walk with Tigg. Yuck!

Foot feels good, even after about 5.5hrs of driving yesterday, and the walking etc. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - yes, I did understand what you meant re the walk/run.  If the run mode doesn't work again I will try the walk mode but I won't need to alter it on Garmin Connect as I don't upload data from Garmin connect.   Not in the format I want, I key the data onto my spreadsheet and I handwrite my training diary  :o

Big G - that's promising re the foot after all the walking and driving.

Just walked back from the gym, it's still so humid and my flat is hot too.   Came home to a text asking me to book my flu jab, hard to think about winter viruses in this weather.

Parcel has just been delivered, I spent the remainder of my tax rebate on running kit...off to open it now. :)
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - Glad you liked the shoes on their first go. Hard to fault them for the easy stuff 

Had two cancelled meetings in a row so brought my midweek longer run forward for 10 miles at lunch as quite busy this week. Disgusting conditions at feels like 30 and humid but a nice enough run up the Thames and around Battersea Park. Hammy was weird and on that crampy edge for the first 5k then not a peep. Strange one. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that hamstring is keeping you on your toes with its unpredictable behaviour.

Very sticky here too, temp of 24 with a feels like of 29 😩.  You did well running in those conditions.

New running kit is lovely but it's too hot to try on new clothes.

Just catching up with the opening heats of the athletics at the Commonwealth Games, good to see a packed stadium.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good news on the foot, did you decide what you were going to do about running?
    Not as sticky up here but still pretty humid,had a meeting  it managed to get out for 7 after it got done.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I had a much better night's sleep and when I woke up foolishly thought that maybe the weather had changed for the better, but it hadn't, I think I was just tired.   So another sweat fest of a run this morning 20 degrees 'feels like' 24 humidity 95%.   But only 5 miles today and I had a really good run.

Food shop and then gym.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, the foot does feel okay, but it is not 100% still. I’ve got a podiatrist appointment next week so I’ll see what he says after he’s scanned it again, and take it from there. 
  • It's definitely humid here - I wish it would just storm and clear the air but doesn't look like that'll happen. Anyway, no excuses - got a 12 miler done this morning (in my Epics rather than the new shoes). Didn't push the pace due to the humidity but I did throw in a few tough hills. Achilles and right hammy still grumbling but didn't really start in earnest until towards the end of the run. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - another week, but I think having the foot scanned again before you try to run again is the right thing to do.

Cal - like a sauna here too, looks like should start to improve tomorrow.   We've had a bit of drizzle but only a little and that doesn't do anything to help.

Good midweek long run from you today especially in these conditions.

I've just been to Aldi, lovely and cool in there  :) ...more price increases   :disappointed:
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I think so. The problem is I’ve had a few false starts with it. Even now, sitting here, I can just feel it’s a bit tight. It’s not painful, but I can feel it’s not right. One more week off won’t hurt at this point, and I’ll see what he has to say next week. He may give me the go ahead, or he may say it needs more time, but I’ll find out next week. 

I’m going for a meal with a few Trotters tonight. It’s the recce run of the Totnes 10k route and although I’m not running, I thought I’d go along to the meal. I’m helping out at parkrun Saturday doing event set up and I’m car park marshal on Sunday for Totnes 10k. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it would be reassuring to know what level of discomfort is still within acceptance for recovery.

Helping out/ marshalling is the next best thing to running.   Have entries picked up for the 10k?

Quiet in the gym.

Have booked my flu jab, only date available is the day before Barnstaple Marathon.   Last year I had my flu jab day before a marathon and made absolutely no difference whatsoever.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, there are about 500 entries in the 10k and about 60 in the fun run.  The entry limit is 625 for the 10K and it’s sold out the last few years, so entries will be down this year. 

I’ve been to the gym and it was quiet at mine too. I’m Zwifting in a bit and I’ve got a Zwift race tomorrow AM. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it comes as a surprise when a race that usually fills quickly still has spaces.  I don't suppose the recent hot weather has helped either.

I wonder if the women's 10k will have less entries.   I was hoping to run it this year but clashes with Barnstaple.
  • Waves
    Did park run 2 weekends ago as it was on my 45th birthday and was a tad knackered afterwards but as there were randomly two more from my office there we hadn't decided if it was down to the humidity or whether it was me still be fecked from Covid. Not really ran much at all since i had it so er this weekends double Enigma marathon might be er interesting ;) I also have a 10k tonight and rode my bike for first time in several months to go to a meeting today.