10m by Easter????

I have just started running and am up to doing about 30 mins non stop. I run down and then up a hill, so there is some walking involved - it's about 2.5 m and am doing it 3 times a week. Am I being too ambitious to plan to enter the Maidenhead Easter 10?

Comments

• no
    but do a lomger run once a week, increase by 1 mile a week
  • Thank you. Did 3.5 this morning and it felt good.
  • Thanks Trinity! Have been waffling about and not setting myself any targets, feel much better now that I have something to aim for. Let me know how you get on. How much training are you doing at the moment?
  • Kimbo - Don't think you are being too ambitious, sounds as if you are doing plenty of training. I managed to get round a half marathon course only 3 1/2 months after starting to run and I was a bit of a porker! You sound like you are nicely on track, just gently increase the distance as you go, I found it actually got easier past the 3 1/2 mile mark.
    T1 - you don't sound so confident! If you are up to 4 mile then you are nearly halfway there and, as I say, I find it then gets easier to tag on another mile to a run. Set yourself the target of 'just doing another half mile this time' and you will probably be surprised that you are soon doing a comfortable 6 or 7 miles. There are people that will tell you that you should train to at least your event distance and I suppose they are right but if you have run 8-9 miles in training and you really do run out of time then the crowd and the adrenalin on the day will get you round those last couple of miles.
  • Hi Kimbo,

I started running last November and use a Heart Rate Monitor to find out what my body is doing.

These forums pointed me to a brilliant book entitled "Heart Monitor Training for the complete idiot" by John L. Parker. (Amazon sell it)

I use this for the basis of my training. Once you know your own Max HR and Resting HR, the principle is that you do "hard" days (85% MHR) and "easy" days (70% MHR) alternately.

So dont go for distance, go for time at a given Heart Rate. When you first start, you really have to slow down to keep the HR within the set limits. But stick with it, after 4 weeks or you can build up the paces while still maintaining the HR.

This way, you prevent yourself over-training and more importantly give your body a chance to recover itself on the "easy" days.

I've found it is really helping with endurance, which I think is at the heart of it.

Good luck with it anyway.

Dodge
  • Ta Dodge and all!

Glad that you mentioned the HRM. I have one and use it, but get confused about how I should be using it!! I shall definitely buy the book.

What I neglected to mention is that I need to lose about a stone and a half, so if it seems that I am on track then believe me, it's a slow one.

T1
    I also entered the Maidenhead 10 thinking it was 10k, which is why I posted this thread (subconciously hoping that someone would tell me that I WAS being overambitious). I have discovered that I am really looking forward to it!

Am thinking of doing a 10k a couple of weeks beforehand, good idea??????
  • Kimbo

In my experience the only way to really shift the pounds, (aside from the obvious eating sensibly), is good old cardio-vascular work. You need to do at least 15mins within your 70-85% MHR to "train" your cells to burn the fat reserves. The key is "duration" NOT "intensity".

When I first started with the HRM I worked out 220 less my age (53) giving me 167 for my max HR. This was so off the mark for me, apparently, 20% of people dont fit the formula. You can use 205 less half your age.

The important thing is that by knowing where your own limits are, you can maximise your training efforts without over-training. I have found that it is SO easy to over-train.

Good luck - if Maidenhead was closer I would run it with you. My own challenge is the Bristol Half, so I've all sumer to panic yet !!

Re: the 10k beforehand, I wouldn't, but listen to your body.

Good luck

Dodge
  • Hi Dodge and T1

I think that the second formula sounds a bit more like it. I try and keep at about 150 at the moment which I think I got from the www.myasics.com site (which is quite interesting, but really badly written). I'm 36 and really DO NOT relish the thought of having a proper test done - doing ANYTHING at full pelt for 3 minutes is asking a bit much at the moment! Have already ordered the HRM book from Amazon (no laurel resting going on here).

You never know Dodge, you might see me for the half marathon!!!! Let's see how Maidenhead goes first perhaps!

Kim
  • Good news on the book.
    Let me know how you get on with it.

The max HR test is something you can do over a period of time. What I have done, is when I do interval training on the treadmill, say 5 x walk 1 min, sprint 2 min
    or whatever, I just do an extra sprint for as long and fast as I can. Wherever, the HR gets is my MAX. If it is more than the last time, its my new MAX. If you do it, be aware that your HR can peak AFTER youve stopped the exercise.

You'll soon be "Slim Kim"

Dodge
  • Will bear that in mind Dodge. Thanks for the support, will let you know how I get on with the book and the Maidenhead 10.

Soon to be Slim Kim
  • Hello all,

I ran a 10k on Sunday at 59:40 and am considering a 10 mile in Chiswick in April. I too am heavy (hence my time). I was advised to just keep banging the miles in up to nine miles. Then I can muddle through the last mile.

10 miles seems an awfilly long way though.
  • Hi Karl

Thanks for that. I am going to combine all suggestions by training with my HRM, make sure I do at least 3 short(ish) runs a week and a long one and gradually build up my mileage on all of them. If I'm not ready by Easter then fine and dandy. (Although secretly determined to be there).

I know what you mean about 10 miles feeling like a long way. 10k seems a long way to me at the moment and your time strikes me as FAST. I should get myself on to the plodding thread sharpish.

Slim Kim (have decided it's psychological)
  • There's a strange psychology about 10ks. Once you get over four miles you tend to think that you've already done it (or at least I do) and just have to hold on.

My time isn't especially fast (over 9:30 miles). I've done five 10k's now and got 64 mins, 61 mins, 59, 59 and 59!

Once you can run five miles you're practically there.

Good luck.
  • Hey Slim Kim
    Did you get the book yet? I think I'll join you on the plodding threads!! Strikes me as FAST too !! I don't feel daunted by the distance, 10k is only twice the distance I'm running 3 times a week. Its the cutting the time I find the challenge at the moment. Hence the HRM approach. It is working for me at the moment, and I'm sticking to the plan for at least 4 weeks.

You'll do it - Try visualization techniques - see yourself crossing the line in Maidenhead with the clock at 1:30:00 !!

RD
  • Hi Karl - once you can run five miles......

I have been logging my runs on the fabby log courtesy of last month's Runners World and am currently clocking up 13 min miles. I live in a place where it is impossible not to encounter hills (I live on top of one) and even allowing for hillage I am nowhere near you ... however, practise makes a faster plodder, so shall persevere.

Dodge - No sign of book yet, I anxiously checked the Amazon site to see where it's at and they inform me it's being sent by Royal Mail, was sent yesterday and should be here today..... or tomorrow. Well, it's not here yet (no real surprise there) and no doubt it will be too big for the letter box, turn up tomorrow and I shall be out. Am DESPERATE to get stuck in.. will have to settle for this month's RW. Am visualising a Slim Kim crossing the line in 2:15:00 (let's be reasonable here).
  • Hurray, book has arrived. Did a tortuous 20 min hill session and could only get the old ticker to clock 175 with a resting of 52. Will be running like a granny on my easy days from now on.

• Eek!! I did an "easy one" this morning - 30mins @ 70% (141) and had to jog @ 4.5 with occasional walk to keep under that ceiling!! Still it was better than last Friday when it was little more than a fast walk. BE CAREFUL - it is SO easy to just push it over that ceiling. I'm hoping that over the next few weeks, I'll be able to go at a sensible pace and still keep under the ceiling. I'll have to go out at night so that no-one will see me!! The "hard days" are better though.
    I do actually feel a lot better for it now just after one week and feel I'm making progress.
    My finger keeps "hovering" over the Totton 10K Online Entry button !! By which time of course you will have triumphed over 10m !
    Let me know how you've got on next week.
    RD