Monsterman 3

... or was everyone put off by the rediculously tough MM2?

Comments

• Clashes with the Wokingham half unfortunately. I suppose with MM3 being on the Saturday I *could* do both, but something tells me it's not a good idea!
  • my god, somebody has entered the same event as me!!!

hi - I have entered the Monsterman 3. I think it's very over priced but I decided to give it a go. I've never done one before.

What were the other ones like? I think it'll take me about 2 hours. Does that seem right to you? I'm expecting it to be pretty tough.

phoenix
  • Phoenix,

Welcome, welcome...

The previous two were tough, very tough! MM2 was so tough, I didn't complete the second run. That said, I think the organisers overcooked it and, privately, would admit as much. Over half the field did not complete this race.

They are promising a much gentler course for MM3, so we shall see.

Timewise, s'pose that depends on your form and fitness... what sort of times do you put in on other events?
  • dunno, rocks! It depends on the course. Lots of hills equals slow, no hills means not so slow!!!! I am not going to rush. The reason I do cros country stuff is 'cos I like looking at the scenery!!!!

see you there.
  • Phoenix.... cu there - I can recommend the fruit cake and flapjacks afterwards.
  • rooks, I'm feeling a bit nervous about the transitions and don't want to be rushing about like a headless chicken. Any tips on doing it properly? This will be my first attempt at a 'serious' duathlon and I want to get it right.

Also does everybody wear fancy tri/duathlon stuff???? I'm either a mountainbiker or a runner and not usually both at the same time!!!
  • sorry - got interrupted...

Been thinking about times. As I'm not going to set off fast, bearing in mind how far it all is, I thought I'd be running at between 9 and 9.5 min miles (my long distance get-there-without-dying speed). And based on my mountainbike race result of last Sunday and a speed of 6.7 min miles (9mph - sounds really slow but it was pretty twisty single track!!!). Put the 2 ( or 3) together and add some tired legs - 2 and a half hours minimum... oooh, sounds pretty hard work!!! Does that sound about right compared to other people?
  • I would say don't get too fazed by it... There are some people in serious tri-kit (the winner of the last 2 races has reputedly represented GB in the sport!), but there are alot like you and I who are just up for a bit of fun and variety. I am stictly a shorts and wicking t-shirt man.

As for the transition... unless you are looking to be seriously competitive, just try and stay calm (don't do what I did on my first duathlon last summer, and set off on the second run still wearing your helmet!) and do the necessary. The field is sufficiently small and spaced out that you are unlikely to slip many places (if any at all) purely due to a slow transition. Give yourself time for a drink/energy bar, as these events are deceptively sapping.

In MM1 I had severe cramps during the second transition, and it took me several attempts just to bend down and change shoes!

Anyway, come and say hello before the start if you get a chance... I'm riding a lurid yellow GT Avalanche 0.0 which stands out from the crowd - I'll probably be there with a buddy who will drive us there in a green saab.... in the real world I pass off under the name John (like, anyone would believe that!)
  • Timewise, it is so difficult to predict, but I very much doubt you will be last!
  • Where could i get the details for this race as it sounds a bit good?

Taaaa!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I will be riding the only rigid bike there probably! It's a turquoise blue titanium Raleigh Torus that Noah found in the ark!!

I drive a series 3 1978 long wheel base Landrover called Speedy....

My name is Catherine and I have short mouse brown hair (attractive or what??!!!)

looking forward to the flapjack!!!
  • www.gearsandtears.com

you'll need to be quick, don't think they'll take entry on the day, but an email or call today would probably see you in.
  • oh yes... and I have a tattoo..!!!!
  • Phoenix,

What a chauvenistic pig I am... had assumed I was corresponding with a chap, bot a chap-ess!!!

Well, a pleaseant surprise, and the good news for you is that you will have a reasonable shot at a "podium" finish and corresponding prize!!!

Will definitely keep a lookout and try to say hello.
  • you are indeed a chauvenistic pig, rocks!!! Perhaps I should avoid you at all costs!!
  • oh well, at least I recognise my faults... surely that's a redeeming feature!!! Anyway too late now, you've let out details of "speedy", so you'll do well to hide!
  • Phoenix, what are your bumpers like?

On the Landrover of course!!
  • my bumpers are likely to rip off your paint if you get too close Mr Lady Killer!
  • Yes, I was there, however due to unforeseen logistics snags (don't ask!) We only arrived just as the race briefing was beginning, so didn't have a chance to track you down beforehand! Afterwards mrs Rocks had brought the children along for some fresh air, so I was being clambered all over by my 3y.o. daughter (just what you want after over 2hrs of extreme exertion!)

How did you get on?

I was mighty pleased to finsh in around 2:17, which put me about 15th... a big improvement on my previous performances.

Thought the cycle route was pretty technical, but by the 4th or 5th lap had worked out my favaoured line of attack on most of the difficult bits.

All in all, I thought this was my favourite of the three races in the series.
  • I was there too and wasn't too far behind you then, as I finished in 2:21:00. I really enjoyed the event and rode the bike bit flat out as I am used to riding cyclocross in the winter and it was set up just like a 'cross race.

I won the women's race by an amazing 25 minutes and I still can't believe it! I lapped the other women so many times in the bike race! People were falling off all over the place and didn't really seem to know how to find a good line.

I am waiting for the results to be posted on the website so I can see how I did against the men. I'll definitely be there for the next series!!!
  • I rode 12 miles out from home on Sunday with the intention of riding a 10 mile time trial in the morning... I'd been pretty tired after the duathlon but thought, what the hell - I can do a 10!! My legs were like jelly and I got slower and slower!! I got to the time trial HQ and just rode on, having waved at everybody who was getting ready to ride!! And I grovelled really slowly home :-(
  • Ah, I think we spoke... I was in amongst the bikes after you finished and asked you if you were the first lady home.

Congratulations.... brilliant effort! You will have done well overall - I don't think there were many (any?) finishers to seperate you and I.

It was fun lapping people, wasn't it!!!
  • Sounds familiar, I went out for a 7 mile run on sunday and was struggling to keep pace with a group of guys I usually leave for dust!

Felt a bit better today and did some intervals @ lunchtime which are part of my lead-up to FLM.
  • yes, I remember you speaking to me! I answered that I didn't know, but secretly I was hoping that I was!!!!

It was great fun lapping people! You could see the poor lines that they were taking or see them teetering about to fall into the gloop!! I have developed a bit of a technique for passing people like that 'cos I ride cyclocross and mountainbike races a lot. Once I learned the bike course I was just flying and hardly touching the brakes in some of the cool twisty places. And I surprised myself in the 2nd run, which felt easier than I was expecting.

All in all, a brilliant way to spend a Saturday!!
  • rocks, do you know of any similar events? Off road ones, I mean?