sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I managed 65 mins (maybe just short of 7 miles) last night, I ran home from work and as my ankle is not really brill I kept thinking 'a bit further and I will get the bus'. Why are we runners so stubborn?

Still I have to say my ankle doesn't feel any worse and I was so happy just to be out there plodding along. It's a strange thing but when I take the pace down I feel I can go for ever. Anybody else feel like that?
    Half bum off bench!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning all, did 5 miles in 42 mins follwoed by an hour of PT so not to bad.

WP- I thin kyou will do better than 3.45 looking at what you are dong now.
    JTS - Keep the faith yuo will be back soon.
    JPVD - Hope the knees improves.
    Wabo - Well done for last night 7 miles is good.

CA
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    CA, forget all I said earlier. Have bad feeling about my ankle. It has swollen on inside now and very painful under ankle bone.
    When I twisted it it was all on the outside of ankle and not painful.
    I am well and truly confused and fed up!
    Any ideas anyone?
  • My aim was to do a sub 4 hour Marathon. As this is my first marathon I thought I needed a reasonable goal. I’m running 5 or 6 times a week generally between 6 and 7 mph, following one of the sub 4hr plan from the FLM site. I have done a couple of 2 hours runs where I have covered 13 miles but it wasn’t easy. Am I setting my goal too high?
  • a friend broke her toe moving her couch and now has to stop running for 6-8 weeks....
    I now look both ways twice when i cross the street and use the handrail at all times. by the time the FLM is days away i will be living in a protective bubble.
    Wabo...hows the ankle?
    BNTM...catching something perhaps?
    Jean Plod does not like the injury bench...come on sunday!
    JPVD.
  • Caught something - and from "a friend" too... guess I didn't run away fast enough...
  • Just had to share this vital knowledge with you all - especially the newly paranoid JPVD...

I subscribed to one of the HalHigden training programs and every day they send m a training idea which I read but then immediately ignore.

However, today's tip of the day definitely shoudn't be ignored:
    "Cranberries have been shown to reduce the incidence of urinary tract infection."
  • Two dozen lucky rabbits feet doing cheap to all you paranoid runners out there.

Hi Max, welcome to the sub 4s, achieving your goal will be down to you & the training you can do, looking at what you have said you will need to increase your long runs over the next few weeks. Are you doing any other training like speed & hill work?

Remember that you should look to enjoy the day first and foremost so make sure you do not set to high a target which will not allow you to do this.

Benicetome, I think I may take you idea regarding training tips a stage further and just ignore the training.

Happy running

CA
  • CA - Today's happy hint is much better:

"Today is a rest day. These days are important for your body to give it a chance to recover from the increased stress of training. So don't try to cheat your body by sneaking in an extra workout. Try something fun and relaxing instead"

However, for fun and relaxing they suggest:
    "like making a list of what inspires you and use it on race day."

Max - I agree with CA - it sounds like you're on track for your goal at the moment - congrats - so as long as you can push the training and race through then you should be able to reach the finish line in 3:59. Are you entering any practice races - they may also help to tell you where you are at?
  • Benicetome, for you the cold winter nights must just fly by. Not sure about that tip of the day, now let me have a go -

Today is a rest day. These days are important for your body to give it a chance to recover from the increased stress of training. So don't try to cheat your body by sneaking in an extra workout. Go out with some friends get ratted, it will help make tomorrows training seem a lot harder.

CA
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I love this thread! Much better than the 'did you hear spurs have taken on david blunkett' one!
    JPVD my weird ankle is much better today. I was in so much pain yesterday I was sure a visit to casualty was needed. It does ache but that's all. I have an appt with sports physio/massage mate tonight and I hope she can throw some light on what's going on in this ankle.
    On a very very happy note, I cycled into work and it was exhilarating! I have been so grumpy not running so now I will keep fitness ticking over.
    How are all the other benchies?
    Cranberries eh.......
  • did you hear spurs..............
  • Feeling the flu and not happy - I was so ready for Woburn this Sunday... Still better to be sick now than in April (touching wood).

Please tell me the Blunkett one isn't about holding on to a lead...
  • Sorry to hear that some of you are not feeling well or are injured. I am actually feeling a lot better and I think that I have fully recovered from my calf injury and I managed to run 9 miles in just under 1:15 last night.
  • Bacon Roll, nice to hear your back fit, that was a good time for 9 miles.

Benicetome, sorry to hear about your flu, it's more important that you do rest.

CA
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Yes bntm that is the one about blunkett,
    and CA, let's not even go there!
    I have to go cheer on my club mates in a race tomorrow, unless physio says I can plod round.....
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it, I only plod round anyway!
    Bacon Roll that sounds like a triff time and I look forward to getting some of that.
  • Thanks CA,Wabo I was chuffed by the time hence the small amount of gloating however my leg are feeling a little tired today.
  • Hello

Just joining this thread. Wasn't sure what my target was going to be but I think I'll be joining the sub 3:45 pacers on the day so I suppose that means 3:43!

Sorry to hear about your various illneses and injuries. Hopefully it's just a case of gettign them out of the way now.

Long runs up to a bout 23/24 miles (2 hours 30ish) but a disappointing half marathon of 1:44 at Watford last weekend. Maybe just spent too much time on long and slow and forgotten how to run at half marathon pace!
  • Hi DonnaW
    23/24 miles - very impressive stuff - but presumably that's more than 2 hours 30ish - otherwise you might want to look at the elite threads.
  • Yes, meant 3:30ish - but I can dream! Imagine finishing a whole hour earlier on a Sunday!
  • Hi Donna, welcome to our thread, 1.44 is better than I managed (1.46 and I was happy with that) but in terms of the 3.45 target that's spot on.

Wabo- I'm hoping that spurs don't improve before next wednesday night.

CA
  • CA, sounds like your training's going well then. Only disappointed because I'd run 1:43 a year before when I was a newcomer (but not at Watford, Prague) and have trained soooo hard since then. Felt like I was going backwards.

Have to focus on the maarathon though!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Well CA watch how my ankle gets on, spurs seem to be in tune with it!!
    Now you know you want my ankle to get better don't you?
  • Wabo- Yes but if it effects spurs only after wednesday.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    That's what they call a double edged sword I believe...
    Good running everybody!
  • Hello! Donna, welcome!

Almost 40 miles this week for me, and a 19-mile long run planned for Sunday. I'm not planning to increase my weekly mileage any more, so hope I can do something about my pace now. I can only dream of 1:45 half-marathons at the moment!
  • Evening all. Hope that everybody's doing well. (It certainly looks like it from the times being posted.)

I'm still benched but think that I may be getting closer to the root of the problem.
    I went for a short run tonight but felt the same pain building up so stopped after about 1 mile.
    However, I noticed that my left foot is hitting the ground quite flat. The heel strike is in the middle of the back of the heel rather than the outside and then the foot just rolls forward, rather than round the outside of the arch and through the toes.

When standing, the left foot seems a lot flatter than the right (and I'm pretty sure that it didn't use to be.)

Anybody had this sort of thing and know a good approach to getting round it?

All advice is very welcome.
  • Jones,

I've not had your problem but I have a biomechanical imbalance at the moment that is putting stresses across the inside of my knees abd I sometimes compensate subcouncisouly by changing my foot roll which makes my problem worse.

I've not looked back through the thread for what you are experiencing but you could try lots of stretches that loosen your hips, groin and ankles.

I;m also seeing a physio on Monday to get my problem checked and get a loosening up I hope

Good luck !