New shoes?

Sorry if this is a silly question but how often should I replace my shoes?

I do most of my training in the gym so they still look clean and lovely but how do I know if the cushioning is still effective?

Is it just a case of I'll know when there is a problem or is there a standard number of miles that people recommend per pair?

Thanks
Linda

Comments

• Linda--I think the manufacturers say between 400 to 600 miles, which sounds a lot but isn't really. If any bits of you start hurting that don't normally hurt (hips, knees, ankles) it might be a sign that your shoes are giving up the ghost. If you use your shoes in the gym they might actually wear out faster than in real life (!) because hefting weights presumably puts different stresses on a running shoe than the stresses it was designed for. Still, even a knackered running shoe is probably okay for pottering about in, so we can all retire our shoes and take them gardening or something.
    That's a thought: what do people do with running shoes that are past their use-by date?
  • JezJez ✭✭✭
    Mim, re. old shoes - they've got to go in the bin. The wife is always complaining about the number of pairs of Asics lying around the place as it is. On the other hand, I could try putting them away somewhere so she doesn't keep tripping over them.
  • JezJez ✭✭✭
    Linda, almost forgot the reply I was intending to your question. I had the same query - I alternate two pairs of shoes, and recently it became fairly obvious that when I was running in the older pair I was developing aches and pains in my knee and shin, while the other pair was fine. So, obviously I replaced the old pair right - wrong, I ran in the newer pair only for a few weeks and now they need replacing too.
  • As Mim says about 400 - 600 miles which works out at about every six months for the average runner (20 - 25 miles a week).

If you are buying the same shoe you will almost certainly be able to feel quite a difference in surport.
  • Thanks everyone, I think I might get Santa on the case ;-)

Lindi