Sleeping heart rate...

Right, last night I got over the 'running nerd' stigma and wore my HRM to bed. Now it stopped recieving a signal after 2 hours, due to the bedding getting in the way, but I'm pretty sure I hit REM by this point anyway. The lowest HR reached was 35. Now, I'm no expert on HRM's... is this the value I use as my resting HR when calculating my HR reserve? If so, the values I would have to use are:
Max HR: 225 (Not a fault, measured on several occasions! Once when nearly ran over, twice at the end of a race)
Resting HR: 35 (obv.)

HR reserve = 225-35 = 190
Therefore easy run = 158 to 170. This doesn't feel like an easy run!

Wheres the error? Are the 225 (I'm 21 by the way) readings artifacts? The highest I got in my Mile reps yesterday was 185, but thats no a good measure either. Should I use 200 as my max value?

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!
Brain hurt. Must stop thinking!

Comments

• drewdrew ✭✭✭
    KK, I've got similar problems. I've also worn my HRM when sleeping and it dropped to about 35, but on a day to day basis it rarely gets below 38. I tend to use a figure of 39 as it more accurately depicts day to day life. As for MHR. 2 years ago I managed to reach 181 but since then have peaked at 173, no matter how hard I try.

If I use 181 in my calculations then my 10k HR equates to only 84% WHR, whereas using the 173 figure it's 88%, which is more in line with what I would expect.

Using your day to day experiences provides figures that are more in line with what you would expect
  • KK

How are you calculation easy run? In my book an easy run is somewhere around 60% i.e. 190 x 60% = 114 + RHR (35) = 149. Have I missed something?

If the 225 has been measured twice then I would say that is reasonably accurate, however it seems a little perplexing that you "only" achieved 185 during reps, whereas you might have expected something around 200. If 225 is your reliable max then 185 would be more like a tempo rate. Have you tried testing your max with another HRM?

I agree with Drew and would tend to not use a "sleeping" RHR but a "just woken up". However, there probably isn't a significant difference between the two?
  • Well using the aobve logic, my waking RHR = 37.
    Having said that MartinH, your maths are far better than mine. I was doing mine in 'me ead' so to speak, so all figures were approximations. Your 149-177 range makes a lot more sense now. Looking at my mornings run tho, my average HR was only 140. Should I have been working harder for an easy run?
    I think I'm going to reperform my Max stress test to get a decent reading. Then the values might mean something, hopefully... (For now Im just gonna use the 220-age formula (i.e 200))
  • PS Thanks for the input guys, also, using 200 as my max, the 185's I observed yesterday represent 90-95% max HR, which mathces the percieved effort more closely. Things make much more sense when you stop to think!
  • KK - I don't believe the 220 - age is at all accurate. My age related max is 183, actual max 195
  • Cou;d be HRM related faults i.e. I read about ghost readings when going near active zebra crossings/power pylons etc. Going to perform a max stress test (never actually done an official one), next week to get a bettr idea...
  • 220 - your age is not a good way of measuring your HR. I use a method called the Karnoven method....
    The equation is as follows.
    Working HR=(Max HR-Min HR) x % effort) + Min HR.
    CONFUSED???

Heres an example.....
    Joe Bloggs Max HR 200
    Min HR 50
    If you want to work at 50% effort....
    200-50 x 50% +50
    = 150 x 50% +Min HR
    =75 + 50
    = 125 BPM.

Look the method up on the internet if you want an explanation but trust me it is a lot more accurate than 220 - age.
  • Ignore my ramblings....obviously the 90 min run I did this morning has affected my ability to read prperly....as you are already using that method.
    When you meet me if you ever should, you have my permission to slap me...HARD!!
  • KK - I'd have thought your 225 readings were almost certainly due to electro-magnetic interference - I get a massive 238 on some days running under a railway bridge, but I know there are a lot of hidden sources of interference as well (trials of running in a big city, I guess).

According to a pretty useful site I was looking at yesterday(www.brianmac.demon.co.uk), even young male Elites tend to have an MHR of only around 200, and I've seen this figure quoted before.