sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• But CA if I'd offered you the league position you have now at the beginning of the season?

Talk about a turnaround.....not so long ago the only thing The Valley was good for was growing weeds.

As a QPR fan I hope our upturn can be half as good...
  • Other QPR fan..... local derby this weekend.... come on the R's
  • Good point Percy, but it still hurts.

Oh by the way I know the other QPR fan.

CA

Sorry Percy couldn’t resist that
  • Bacon Roll, now I understand the bitterness.

CA

How's Danny Shitu doing ?
  • well on the offical QPR website all it is saying is 'No news is good news!' but I had the same injury (cruciate ligament) so I am not expecting him back until next season:(
  • Ahhhh, I remember the days when we were top of the league, in Europe, had a team full of internationals inc. Stan Bowles and it was still normal to swear at the linesman (who were still called linesman and not assistant referees)

Nostalgia eh, you can't beat it.
  • Percy, be careful or we will have to enter you into good for age categories.

Who is Stan Bowles?

CA
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hey CA I just noticed that you made it to the top of the page with your message again, so at least you at the top!!!
    I remember when we had greaves and perryman and did the double zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • CA - you're kidding right?

Talented but tainted international along the same lines as Bestie, only not as good.
  • Wabo, you forgot to mention Hoddle & Waddle, and surly you must go on & on a bit about what a great cup side you are (whoops I forgot about the Man City game).

Oh and I do believe we are still above you (at least for the next couple of games)

CA.

• Percy, didn't Rodney Marsh play for you also?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    As i said CA you are at the top, Charlton a bit lower and lets not talk about spurs, cups. Where was I ? Oh yeah Stevie Perryman Saturday afternoons paxton road zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Oh Rodney Marsh and Georgie Best. Yum.
  • Yup, and Gerry Francis, Tony Currie and a whole host of other internationals in the 70's and 80's before the rot set in, relegation and rock bottom was reached. Refreshingly better last season and again this season.
  • Wabo, are we still talking about football?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I thought we were but now I not so sure, I had an image of Stevie Perryman's legs and that was that!
    Night guys I will leave early - doh boss just came in and I won't leave early with parcel - but he says I can get a cab home!! Well come on I have cycled most days and run today what can I say?????
    See what football does to me....
  • Yeah, I'm off to, going to do a nice slow 7 miles on the treadie.

Feel a bit tired after last night.

Catch up with you all tomorrow

CA

Percy, Wabo, thanks for the trip down memory lane.
  • What a lot to read - shame it's all about Spurs, Charlton, QPR, etc... Come on - I thought this was a forum about sport!

Superb stuff Wabo!

Also, well done Percy on getting off the bench - see you on Saturday?

I did Yasso's again for lunch (2 laps of the newly repaired Regents Park running track): 3.38, 3.32, 3.26, 3.27, 3.25, 3.25, 3.25, 3.26, 3.16, 3.13 - so average just less than 3.30 (but I should add on ~10 seconds as I'm only running about 770m really)

Now I wanna get some rest...
  • BNTM - thanks.

Cautious mileage building back to pre-injury levels for me for the next week ish....so no RP visits. I've been warned away from any hill work or speed training that involves pushing hard so it's nice and flat and steady like Battersea Park and back - 7.4 miles.

Or perhaps more correctly I should say that I wouldn't dream of running on Valentine's day as I need to spend some quality time with my beloved.....;-)
  • nice yassos, BNTM. i must try them again.
    on the treadmill
    tonight, but just an easy 5 miler.
    i REALLY like the fact that i have more energy when i complete my run then before.
    Man, I am dog-tired after work right now, but i know when the run is finished and i step out of the shower i am totally up for it. C'MON treadie!
    JPVD.
  • BNTM, nice work on the yasso's.

Did a nice slow 7 miles on treadie legs feel a bit tired so will probably do the same today.

Rest day tomorrow, Sunday I have got Macmillan training day in Greenwich.

CA
  • My comeback tour is progressing well.

Four runs in four days, 31 miles in all culminating in a 10 miler today in 01:29. Slight discomfort still so rest tomorrow and ice now.

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • 18+ miles yesterday - and it was very tiring - but I made it (and sang auite a lot of the way) - yippee! Then this morning went to Nike's training run and marathon seminar.

Quite interesting - especially the advice from Jenny Hadfield. She had lots to say about training runs. I'll tell more later but first here's the thought that's right at the top of my mind:

She suggested I was spot on with long runs I've already achieved and (I think I'm falling in love) suggested I could and should take a few weeks between the next long runs. Now I was going to run 22 miles next weekend - but I'm thinking about maybe just doing a 10 (or less) instead? What does everyone else think? Should I alternate long runs with shorter ones?
  • BNTM - that is the gneral idea - mix hard and
    less hard training so as to allow time for
    the damage to repair.

I did 21 this am in about 3:10 and 21+ last
    sunday in about 3:18. I am now planning
    two weeks if 15!
  • More or fewer 18+ milers and where in the schedule is the debate?

My view was that more mileage is better but I'm always interested in expert opinions, so spill the beanz BNTM, what are her views? And who is she as well ;-)?
  • She's listed as co-author (but her name is given smaller text) and Coach for "Marathon Running for Mortals" - and the blurb on the back says she's training thousands of all levels...

She gave tips for the marathon which were something like
    - enjoy it
    - have several goals in mind - she suggested that some people get hung up about achieving one specific time and then feel like failures even when they've actually finished, beaten PBs, overcome bad weather, etc.
    - drink what's available on the course - and start drinking it in your long runs now so your body gets used to it
    - practice your race routine in your long runs now.
    - in the 10 days before the race, carb up but don't try any new food
    - use the pacing groups - they're very worthwhile. Also talk to the pacers at the expo so you know exactly what their strategy is
    - go slower in the first half - reserve your energy for the second half
    - have a mindset ready prepared for problems (everyone has low points)
    - remember that training is 10% mental, 90% physical but the race is the other way around (not entirely sure I followed this but I guess she was saying
    - oh dear, I should have taken notes, shouldn't I? [But at least I have now got the book]
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

Did Hadd test on Fri 13th. Am pleased with the results.

Just done my sunday long run. 133min covering 14.5 miles. Pleased that this is close to my FLR MP yet aveHR stayed at LT-24 (139) throughout. Shame that muscles on left inner thigh (near groin) got sore.

BNTM: You have written some interesting tips.

I normally have a large milky coffee in the morning before a run. I don't drink anything throught out the duration - perhaps I should???

• The advice today was very clear on the fact that during the marathon we should drink all the lucozade we can get - and that we should make sure it's not a new experience for our stomachs... and as far as I know no-one there had shares in Lucozade. I'm certainly going to give it a go and see how it works out!
  • BNTM, Thanks for passing on the tips, did you end up running today? I'm still not used to those 18+ runs. I went straight to bed and stayed there for hours. My legs are still sooooo sore!
    BTW could someone boing the Sunday runs at Richmond park thread, I'm having trouble locating it. Ta!
  • Hello - I was hoping you wouldn't see these tips - I was going to tell you that she advised us to run >30 miles for at least 3 long runs... Does this mean you're now an official sub-4 challenger?

Of course I ran today - but only 4.5 (plus warm up plus cool down plus 15 miles cycle into town plus I've gotta go home soon)