Confused about shoes

I am wanting to buy a new pair of shoes to use for 3 months or so over winter. Will probably do between 20 to 35 miles a week.Have ran in Asics Nimbus £ 80 ish and New Balance 829's £ 50 ish ( cheaper on line or in sales). While Nimbus are heavier duty,more cushioned and longer lasting it is the New Balance shoe which has felt better for me even on long runs and races up to 2 and a half hours long. Legs feel as fresh in NB's after run and next day. This defies what the blurb says about each shoe. The Asics being heavier duty and more cushioned/protective, the NB's being lightweight a trainer

Should I go for the New Balance and replace them sooner or spend more on more cushioned shoe or try a diferent make.

My runs over winter will be at around 7 to 8 1/2 minute miles and my longest run probably 12 miles.

Can anybody suggest a not so heavy well cushioned shoe.I am not bothered about latest models and would quiet happily get a bargain in sales to try out once I had done a bit of homework about the shoe first

Comments

• Nike Air Skylon are quite well cushioned for a sub 300g shoe. I got a pair after trying them on when the Nike van visited my partner's club and wear them for just about all my running (other shoes are NB RC240s but I have tried flats since getting them that I think are better - ie Nike Ekiden). I got the Nikes for £45 mail order out of an ad in RW - they are the blue model rather than the new yellow one - they don't get a good RW review but having tried the new model last week I thought they were a step backwards while RW thinks they are better. The only thing about the Skylon is that it has no separate outsole and so it may not last that long.

• Stuart,
    You are better off by using two pairs of shoe at the same time, rather than grinding the same pair every day of the week. They will last longer as they get a rest period to allow the cushioning system to re-set.
    On this basis if the lighter shoes felt better, get two pairs and work them together. It costs about the same as a pair of high mileage shoe anyway
    cheers
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    "it is the New Balance shoe which has felt better for me even on long runs and races up to 2 and a half hours long. Legs feel as fresh in NB's after run and next day."

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. These shoes are obviously right for you, so stick with them.