working at it slowly

Comments

• Anyone live near Southend-on-Sea in essex? I am looking for a female plodder to go with sometimes.
  • there used to be this site called badly trianed monkey that matched people for running
  • Thanks for site for training mates. Had a look but their all a tad to quick for me - will look again when I'vve improved a bit more. Keep plodding.
  • i thnik you can leave your details, and people might get back to you as well
  • Morning all
    Muppets walked..........Breakfasted and stretched...............Off to work, hope it's better than yesterday.
    Run and yoga tonight

All the best to all esp ex smokers keep it going

See you later
  • Morning all
    Just a quick visit - drowning in work, row with boss yesterday, having to work Saturday this week too giving an all day seminar and I have prepared exactly....nothing so far. Grrrrr.
    At least sun is shining today and muppets managed to almost be good today....a rarity...
    Maybe pop in later..
  • XBXB ✭✭✭
    Hiya

A rest day for me. Unplanned, but I felt it would be rude to refuse an offer to have an extra 15mins in bed while someone else took the dog for a walk. Typically it is the most beautiful plodding day - coming over Pendle Hill was an inspiration.

Poddler, Do you want some help with your presentation? As my old boss used to say "you cn slide a very long way on a little bullshit" and I do a nice line in BS.

Have a good day

XB
  • Hiya - a circuits session for me yesterday and core stab/abs today, next run tomorrow. Work's been a 'mare these last 3 weeks so have not been able to get out quite as much as would like but light at end of tunnel .... imminent!!! Happy running all and keep at it you ex-smokers!
  • Hi there, just joined RW and read a few messages on here. Started running last July, split from my fella and seriously needed to get into shape, didn't fancy a gym, everyone just seemed to be there to gossip and show off their latest designer gear so i joined my local running club and to be honest i've never looked back. I am not a fast runner and just like to plod at my own pace, i must admit though i'm getting a bit slack what with the cold weather, get home from work and then try and find an excuse not to go, things like oh no, two drops of rain that's it i'm not going etc.. is it just me being lazy or do any of you feel the same?
  • Hi XB - thanks for the offer - I'm intending to baffle them with jargon and get them onto some group stuff, thus allowing me to sit back, stroke by chin and try to look all knowing...it's worked in the past!

Hello everyone else and welcome Joey. Yes I can find any excuse not to run - if the dog has an eyelash out of place I can't run!
    Is it possible to run home from work? I find this a superb compromise because I can get work out of my head but once I'm home the evening is mine and if I don't want to go out again I don't have to.
  • Hi Poddler, Unfortunately I work about 15 miles away from home (Inc.some stonking hills) and I've not run that kind of distance yet, I've only covered about 7 miles so far the other problem is there are a lot of areas between work and home that are just country roads without pavements so it's not dead safe.

I am supposed to be doing my first half marathon at the end of March... ha ha... so I've got to stop being lazy and get my act together.
  • Hello all,
    Joey P - I think everyone has times when they just lose all inspiration and think 'I can't even remember why I was doing this'. I suppose the trick is to get out there and keep doing it until you do! Easier said than done though.

I've been flagging myself a bit recently as I'm not entered for any races because I'm off to Australia for 4 months on 1st March (YAY!!!) so have been kind of just keeping the running 'ticking over' rather than having any specific training plan. This can be nice sometimes but can also lead to laziness.

I'm off out for a run with a freind tonight - I normally run alone so I'm feeling a bit unsure about it, but I reckon it'll be a good boost, at least I won't have a choice tonight!

Not sure what advice to offer joey p, except to stick at it and try to remember what used to get you out the door. We all get a bit lathargic by the end of winter I think, but spring is finally on the air.
  • Joey P - come and join us on Half Marathon Nutter Anonymous (Beginners) thread - we're nearly all doing March Half Ms so there's lots of support.
    Right offski to do more work - or maybe not - home time - hurray
  • Hi everyone - Oops, time for emerdale. be back later
  • Please, please can I join you all? I have been running for just 11 months and I have managed to get to about 9.30 - 10 min a miles.

I have to admit I had no intention of ever running, it never entered my head that I would find it enjoyable and that I would come to love it. It was my friend M who encouraged me to give running a try, although at the time I was very very reluctant.

M and her husband P used to go running twice a week with my husband and son. Feeling a bit left out I decided one week to go with them on my bike. At the finish I got off my bike and thought my legs had turned to jelly I was that unfit, however I kept it up for several weeks and gradually got fitter.

Each time we went out M asked me if I wanted to have a short run whilst one of them took my bike, my answer was always NO. Then M started to work on me with emails at work, telling me how fantastic running was and that she would help me get started and run with me etc etc..........

Without saying anything to them all, I had already started back at the gym now it was time for a go on the treddie. I started a run/walk for 10 mins then one day I thought I would see if I could run for 5 mins straight! I was sooo pleased with myself when I did it. Within the month I had managed to get to 1.8 miles and I felt fantastic.

Then One day I surprised M by agreeing to run with her, as they say the rest is history!

I now join them all for runs on my own two feet! The bike is now relegated to the back of the shed. I just wished I had not lost so much running time.
  • 10minute miles

for the ocasional mile, by accident
    ot normal running for hippos
  • Hope you're well on the mend T1 - hi Still Dreaming. I'd love to routinely get to running comfortably within 9-10 min miles, sounds like you're doing well. Thursday is speed-day (in erratic-speak) - only had time for 30 mins today so usual routine of warming up at 12 min miling & then taking it up in 1/2 mph increments for a min at a time with 30 sec recoveries at 5mph. Managed to push up to 9mph today (6.4 min miling!) but legs could only hold it for 30 secs, so brought it back down in 1/2 mph increments again. It does make the slower speeds feel easier (for a short while!). Was looking forward to rewarding Thai noodles with the girls at lunchtime today but it's just been cancelled boo-hoo (& I didn't bring any spare clean kit with me so can't even get an extra run in.....or shall I do it wet & sweaty....)
  • love it when people talk about warming up at 12 minute mile pace

:-(
  • yeah Yeo
    specially when it IS ones pace

Slow means you get time to enjoy the scenery?

nope
  • I am really new to outside running.I can run 5k comfortably on a tready but outside I struggle at 2miles!!!
    I have entered the Great Welsh Run on May 3rd thinking it was 5k but realise now it is 5 miles.........can I do it??
  • Went out last night for a run with a non-running freind. I knew she was fit but I couldn't believe she could run for 20 mins before needing to walk. It took me weeks to get to that stage!! Not fair.
    Was nice running with someone for a change though - am so used to running alone.

T1 - I have also had glands like boulders. Very painful earache and sore throat as a result, so yesterday was first run this week. Also out on the town all next weekend with old uni mates, so no chance of my usual long run on saturday. Ah well, I'll treat it as an 'easy week'.
  • sssssoooorrrrrryyyyyy yeo, didn't mean it to sound like that - that was my stuffed-for-time 30 min speed session (which still comes out at over 10 min miling) - my steady run pace is nearer the 11-12 mark (don't want to get kicked out - i like it in here)
  • Atters, you can do it, I think it's just a matter of getting outdoors more often - ideally for your longer runs (if you do longer and shorter runs that is)

I used to struggle outdoors when I was used to the treddie, but it didn't take long at all to get used to it. Apparently, setting the treddie to a 1% incline is supposed to simulate the effect of running outdoors more effectively.

If you can run 5K indoors, you can outdoors, it's just a matter of getting used to it. And if you can run 5K, that's really not far off 5m, so you're nearly there already!!
  • You have plenty of time between now and May 3rd Atters, if you take it nice & steady.
  • Thank both, I am really enjoying this running lark.....and quietly looking forward to the 5miler x
  • that's alright, erratic (sniff)