working at it slowly

Comments

• Mornng all. or afternoon really. walking only today as I did outside run yesterday of 4 miles - really chuffed with myself as I only walked a little now and then. It seems a very slow struggle to get back to fitness after such a break but even though I was averaging 9-10 minute miles when fit it was hardly fast! its just that after running a marathon with no walking it sometimes feels that I'll never make it back again at this rate. having said that, I did get a buzz from yesterdays acheivement. 6 days no smoking now so I'm hanging in there and haven't killed anyone yet though I came pretty close to having a puff yesterday. Didn't though, surpised myself. keep it up all the other ex-smokers, its worth it in the end. Thoughts on posting a thread to find a running mate, its a good idea but now I've put it into words and not just thoughts its scary cos I don't think I'll find anyone as slow as me at the moment. I think I'll wait another month till I've improved a bit more.
  • Atters
    Dont worry
    Its a friendly race and therell be lots of people who havent done 5 miles before
    Stick to 3 times a week, and dont increase your overall distance by more thn 10%
  • T1, it only took me a couple of days really. It was quite nasty so expected to be knocked out for a while but woke up yesterday and felt right(ish) as rain
  • Trin 1 and Carold

Is it an internet virus, I wonder?

Woke up at 3.30am with a nasty throat.Today my tonsils have turned into squash balls.

With only 17 days to my 10 mile race, I was due for a good speed session tonight.

Guess it'll have to wait, tho'

Hope you both get better soon.

yours (croakily)

TFF
  • Hi you lot glad to hear you are all doing ok, sorry to hear that some of you have been unwell.

Couldnt run on Tuesday so am running tonight, have just received my number for my first half marathon in March and have now seen the route and am panicking.

I thought I would use it as long runs on a Sunday - so im driving round it this week to see what its like?!

Larraine, where in essex are you from? im from a fairly rural part as well maybe we could run together occasionally??
  • Hi Tilly P. I am from Foulness Island which is very rural and the nearest town in Southend-on-Sea, about 10 miles away. I would be willing to travel a bit ( I have to travel anywhere from where I live anyway)
  • Hi guys - need some advice. Went to osteopath last Friday and she said I had a 'micro-tear' in my calf muscle. Not massively painful to run on but is uncomfortable afterwards - so I have rested this week but I don't know when to start running again!! Clock is ticking - 8ish weeks to FLM and longest run so far is 12 miles - aggghhhghhg, deep breath,s stay calm. So chaps question is do I run tonight or not.....?
  • T1
    I did the works Autumn handicap over two miles and my best time was 18mins and 19 seconds which I was pleased with.

I had a good friend in M who helped me get so far reasonably quickly howevershe was pregnant and had to give up at 6 months as she was uncomfy running. She had baby in Dec by c section so I have had to run with the men who are much faster up until recently. This did help build up my speed and since M has started running again she say's I am now having to slow down for her.

My milage is not that much at the moment. Mainly due to M recovering and cannot go far and the men are busy with work, but I am pleased just to be able to do the odd three miles. I got my daughter back into running last Tuesday evening so hopefully with summer coming I will be able to get out more.

SD
  • Erratic, I tend to run as your name suggests a bit erratic. I start slow but somehow during the runs I speed up then slow down and speed up again. I dont conciously do it either, but M picked up on it last week when we were out. If I am just running with no distance or time in mind we possibly slack off to 12 min a mile and take in the scenery and chat as we run.
  • i believe that beginners such as myself shouldnt worry about pace. i started running back in november after quitting smoking.Back in nov i was walking for 20 min but now im running 30 miles each week and i couldnt care if it takes 12 min to run a mile.i believe if you go out there and just enjoy your jogging/running pace will soon come to you.
  • 11 min miles...11 min miles! i wish!
  • how long have you been running for ian?
  • XBXB ✭✭✭
    Blimey we are a sickly lot!! Not a good advert for plodding. Sorry about your leg, Gaz.

I had a diddy plod this morning and have done circuit training tonight. I did intervals on the treddie and ended up with a short sharp burst at 18.5kph. I could probably keep at that speed for 30 seconds. That is the speed you would need to run at to do a marathon in about 2hrs 15mins!!!!!

Keep well

XB
  • XB so ror half a minute you knew what it felt like to be Paula...
  • oooooooo
    more peeps

gaz
    yes, at least 21 days

if you arent on gold bond for FLM, you may want to defer

ian, thought about windsor yet

Xavier

dont finkour treadies go that fast, and i fall off at 12kph
  • kevin love, for some of us the pace doesnt come
  • By heck XB!! I so hope you're right, Kevin, about pace following on but you might have to define "soon" for me! I agree enjoyment is the most important thing & certainly ignore pace on long runs where I'm aiming to build up distance/miles in legs (tho' can't resist working it out afterwards just to see!). No long run for me this weekend as it's ma-in-law's 80th & we're off for a totter into the Yorkshire Dales, so will be fitting a 3 miler into my lunch-hour today instead (fri normally a rest day). Have good weekends everybody - get well soon T1 and Gaz!
  • I've notched up my first 30min cont run after weeks of the beginner run routine. My
    daughter comes out on her bike with me and tells me how I'm doing, I must admit without her help it would have been harder. She's a good training partner for me as she keeps me at a good pace and it gives her exercise too, unfortunately she doesn't like running much! I'm now aiming for my first 5k run..
  • Well done karen.I think getting to the first 30 minutes continuous is the hardest hurdle. after that the gains seem to get easier,, even adding an extra minute every couple of days will soon improve endurance. If you have got to 30 minutes then 5k will be no bother for you.
  • On a GB place with £2500 raised already so looks like I 'll have to grin and bear it - this will be my first and last experience of long distance running anyway so we will see how it goes. Read a thread with an external link on the injury forum that said something along the lines that if it doesn't get better with rest or stretching then its probably already formed scar tissue and won't get better without some weird form of cross fibre massage, but on the up side it said unless I suddenly up my pace or start doing hill and or strength work it shouldn't get any worse either. Believe me after 15 years of rugby there isn't much of me that isn'd damaged or permanently knackered anyway so one more little twinge won't make much difference - going for a short walk/run tonight with loads of strapping - fingers crossed for me!
  • Gaz, why's this your last experience of long distance running? Have you had enough already?!!

Off out tonight for my long(ish) run as I'll be really busy/hungover all weekend. Never been for a long run in the evening because I like to get off road at the weekend, but wouldn't want to do that in the dark. Kind of looking forward to it though as I've had a really depressing day and need to run it off before the weekend. Only gonna do about 5 miles though, don't think i can handle my usual 7 on boring pavements. Still, it's better than nothing!!
  • Thanks Trin.
    Carold the reason its my last time is because I am sick and tired of my legs aching all the time, I am bored with spending hours and hours pounding pavement in the DMZ that I live in and if I didn't have a target to aim for I would have stopped weeks ago. I think the bottom line is that I really don't enjoy running, I enjoy exercise and sports but the life of the long distance runner is not for me. Maybe my I will change my mind in the summer -running in the dark is depressing, or when we move to the country, seeing a tree every now and then might be nice. Or maybe I'm just fed up because its 8 weeks to go and tonights run could make or break the whole marathon thing, I don't think I could bear to give all the money back. Or maybe its because this is the only thing I have ever really applied myself to and to have it all go pear shaped would be unbearable.
    There - rant over - very cathartic, lets just hope that I can still walk after my run tonight! Sorry for lowering the tone chaps!!
  • Hi, thought I'd join in having lurked a while!
    Began running in November, just so I wouldn't look too stupid having agreed to join others in a 10K!! though they assured me they walk most of the way (yeah?)
    And i'm loving it! surprised myself, not having run for 25 years since school, although I'm active if not Fit (walk, cycle, swim etc). I'm building up on a run/walk (after building up to run a whole minute - gasp!)
    Now running 7 walking 3 - found run 5 walk 3 the walk was longer than needed, but nice. This week the schedule suggested 7/2 but I found this too much too soon, so extended the rest, rather than shorten the run - sound all right to youse?

Looking ahead, what do you think I should be doing (with a 10k in mind) - carry on extending running times, or do longer overall?

I know the ultimate answer is listen to your body, but I'm interested in opinions.

RW
  • Gaz

what you are feeling is fairly typical at this point in FLM training

dont make any decisions till after the marathon