sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Bit quiet in here innit?

I know of BNTM's splendid 22m effort but what of the rest of you?

52 miles pour moi last week, 2 rest days - before and after long run...;-)

I went out yesterday pm, got battered by the wind and a hill in Greenwich Park and got home 20m later in 3:04. Felt so much more tired in the legs than last week during the second half (much lower HR but couldn't go faster as legs gone), but I guess this is probably down to the prior weeks training and nothing a good taper won't sort out.

RW 15 mile training run at the weekend in Richmond Park and the hilly Hastings Half in 3 weeks so now the training emphasis must move to hills and speed work....deep joy, I can't wait.

Oh, and tried the cold water bath after the long run (no ice available ;-)) Managed 15 minutes, feet out as too painful in. Then hot shower......legs did feel better afterwards but it's not a nice experience. Don't know how they do it with ice.

Pace and endurance everyone.

• 35+ miles last week with two rest days (Friday + Saturday visiting friends in Manchester)

13 miles yesterday along the Thames after a heavy night in Manchester and an early flight back to London. Managed to beat my PB for that route by 10 minutes (1:46) so very pleased with that. Looks like the speed work is working.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    36miles last week (easy week after weekend skiing)

I did an excellent 18.4 yesterday (having set out for 14) Felt really good and strong. First time this year I've felt confident of doing 26.2 with no problems.
  • 22 miles round and round Richmond Park in just over 3 and half. Drinking lucozade and eating bananas definitely helped heaps.

Now happy I'm on track for sub-4 - and I've got secret hopes of Higs starting up a sub-3:52:30 group.

Next 2 weeks for me are only 15 (RW) next week and 13.1 in Reading - ah, the pleasure and relaxation...

Anyone on for a pub lunch next Sunday (post RP)?
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    If RW provide a pacer at 3:52:30 I may give it a go
  • it seems that (almost) everyone is moving off the bench and starting to get it together!!

I did 46 last week (with an unscheduled 5 on thursday night when the old kent road was closed on my way home!). Only 18 on sunday in 2:45 (done 21 for the previous
    two).

Like almost everyone else - a few easy weeks comeing up. Richmond this sunday, another 18 then the fleet half.

Feeling good and no tempting of fate!

• Things have been good for me to managed 53 miles last week but on I was ill on Friday and competed for club in our XC championships on saturday against my training partners advice as club begged me not to withdraw no team other wise and we were hosting champs needless to say performed poorly those hills killed me my asthma was really bad and knew I should have been home in bed anyway we won 1st place and I came 33 out of 34 not something I am proud of and have lost 2 days training been in bed ill but getting there thank goodness, next time will not be swayed by club as training partner seems to know how my body reacts better than I do!! and was I told off by him.....all I will say is I am dreading our next training session!!
    Next race is the Reading 1/2 in 2 weeks
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi all, made a big decision whilst struggling to get round 30 mins and so I have penned a sonnet for you all.... Sorry!

O fellow forumites, I have to say
    My marathon is off and that's a fact
    Now I know us 'sub fours' do have a pact
    Not to go down a thread, so says CA!
    Keep bums off the bench, but sometimes it's tough,
    When you study, move home, have kids and all
    You try to do everything - keep on the ball!
    But on a run last week, I said "Oh stuff
    The FLM schedules , drinks and the gels
    I'm all out of steam JTS, CA
    WP, I hear you, I know what you'll say
    Come on Wabo, chin up, everyone yells

But alas, I'm quitting FLM boo hoo
    And on the big day, I'll be there cheering for you!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ps Michael Cates if you're peeking in
    1) get back in sub 3? where you belong
    2) not a bad sonnet?????
    3) yes I am quite mad!!!!!!
  • Is that a deferral then Wabo?

If so, then sympathy to you. Hopefully you can defer and come back stronger and fitter next year. Life's full of conflicting priorities and there are more important things than running....;-)

Best of luck.

Hmm, WP.....be careful.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Percy, not a deferral but an out. Deferred last year due to flu! I have done flm honest!
    But I will do it next year - ballot willing.
    I will also keep this thread open to see how you all do. I am training still with Halstead Marathon in mind end of May so all may not be lost. Did 70 mins sunday morning and it didn't feel great but less pressure on myself now.
    Good luck all!
  • Oh Wabo I am so sorry to see you out of London but hope you will not desert us.
    What a fab sonnet you wrote:-)Hope you come back stronger for next year!!

Boo hoo one of the gang is leaving!!

Percy how are you doing?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Thanks WP, at least my studies are going well then!!! Been reading and studying sonnets - case you couldn't tell.
  • Good thanks Poppy. Still some hamstring tightness, though I've now set this as the new "normal".
    I guess there a a lot of runners carrying slight niggles at the moment...

I am a bit worried about the next few weeks impending speed and hill work though as this was how I got injured. Just have to be careful I guess, warm up properly and follow a hard day with an easier one.
  • hey wabo..tough luck. (on pulling out, not the sonnet)
    what was the conceit, BTW?

i know we are not supposed to go down a thread, but i am in no way getting or keeping the amount of miles i should be...
    my longest run last week was 12k, for a LSD! oh me oh my. I am trying to get ready for a double loop of central park this sunday (13m)...but shouldnt i be doing three?
    i am so worried about injuries prior to the big race...taking it too easy? is it too late? what, 7 weeks?
    enough of that...congrats to all who are pulling in the 18-22 milers! inspiring...
    JPVD.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Wabo - tough decision, I'm sure it's right, look forward to your support on the thread and on the day.

JPVD - don't judge yourself by what others are doing. I for one have front loaded my long runs because I was sure work, home or poorliness would derail me at some point on the way. Are you doing OK by your own plan?

It's a tough balance between pushing on with the training and looking after yourself but sooner or later you've got to put the work in. No point turning up on the day with no injuries but untrained. The one that makes me nervous every year is when our club runs move from road to off road when the clocks change (normally a couple of weeks before FLM). I've managed to look after myself all winter and then end up on rutted farm tracks etc. One year I'm going to do my ankle I just know I am!

Higs
  • hmm...well said higs.
    y'know i started following the "Get you Round" schedule in September...and was *apparently* ready to run a marathon in late dec. then I switched to the sub-4 hour schedule in january...
    no real reason to state that other than not being able to run outdoors is a big factor in my training nose-dive!
    so heres hoping once the sun comes out to play that Jean Plod gets his act together!
    Cheers higs.
    JPVD.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Sorry jpvd, what was the conceit, me not get it, maybe studies not going so well...
    Higs you tread very carefully off road, that's where this all started!
  • the conceit is the two opposites you are comparing...it appears to be your want to race v. the reality that you cannot. and the resolution is that you WILL be there, if only in spirit! nice one (i dont get the rhyme scheme though...late italian petrarchan?)
    JTS...just got caught up on the thread...all the best with that back!
    JPVD.
  • As another poet once sang:

"Another one bites the dust"

(well, maybe "poet" is a bit strong...)

Run on Wabo - good luck with Halstead and with studies and kids and life - I'll be thinking of you very jealously when all the rain is coming down this weekend and I have another 15 miles to run - it's even snowing again today!
  • Hi everyone and regards to all, been busy doing budgets at work and running so not be able to keep up with all that's been going on.

Wabo, sorry to hear you won't be doing London, please keep in touch with the rest of us on the thread though.

Well with all that's been going on at work I'm happy that I managed 52.5 miles last week.

Have now decided to cut my days down to 5 with rests on Friday & Saturday before my long runs. I will than do 4x9 mile runs and I'm not going to worry about speed work, hills I get naturally on my routes.

Percy I'm not doing Richmond now as I intend to do a 19 mile run which is the start of a long run programme over the next six weeks (The last one will be 24 miles). Do you still won't to run with me at Hastings?

CA
  • CA - Yep, I'm still on for Hastings. Have you noticed the profile map on their website? Sea level to 459 feet in the first half of the race then back to sea level by mile 10.

I went up Gypsy Hill to Crystal Palace at the top yesterday and it's "only" 351 feet....10 mile run in 1:24 so not too far off 8 m/m target. Need to improve my descending speed methinks, it's too nice to take a breather there though.

Juggling long run weekends -vs- warm up races is a little tricky. I think for me the smart move is 2 consecutive long run weekends max. which allows me a "nice" early Richmond Park run this weekend. I am going to try marathon pace throughout which might be difficult given the undulations and the early start....we'll see.

Next LSD run or me will be Sunday 7th March.

2 rest days a week is also wise I think when you step up the intensity...

• Percy, I look forward to that, the course sounds great after five miles.

Good luck with Richmond, I must admit that the early start was one reason I decided not to play, plus I do need to get some long runs in.

CA
  • Thanks matey, enjoy your long 'uns.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Cheers CA seems spurs have nobbled me! JPVD, I get the conceit now! The rhyme scheme is like Howard and Wyatt - abab cdcd efef gg - I hope!
    BNTM don't be too jealous, I will be trying to get round roding valley half.
    The funny thing is as I am just not doing it as opposed to deferring, you never know what may happen on the day.....
    I will def be keeping thread open and watch you all with interest.
    btw you all know I will get my number anyway, just in case....
  • I like the sound of that, Wabo - with the pressure off, I have this sneaky feeling that one way or another you're doing to enjoy this year's marathon more than the rest of us ;-)

To the rest of you - how many of you are going to be in RP this weekend - so far I count Percy, Destiny and JPVD [maybe we'll finally meet but it is so early...]
  • Hastings up the hill is not too bad - having said that I train on hills but not as long as this one.

I can't do hastings this year which is a shame because it is a great and well supported event. Enjoy folks.
  • Well yesterday was long run day 4 hour run over a fantastic scenic route in sun shine all going well until knees started to get sore after 3 hr but grit and determination finished run,we just think they were tired and nothing more serious,but after finished run we have a heavy snow shower boy where we lucky.....must be 3" snow outside!!
    I took 2 lucazade bottles plus energy bar and needed them, we are going to try 2 bottles plus 2 bars next week.

I agree on 2 rest days a week it is what I have and works for me!!!

Good luck with training
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Well Done Poppy.

Apart from the obvious psychological benefits from doing so many 3+ hour runs (since early Jan or before that?), do you think they're getting easier physically overall?

Are you recovering from them any quicker now? (as opposed to when you started doing them)

Most experts seem to agree in not running much beyond 3 hours in training and I'd like to hear what your thoughts are on this (or George the coach).

P.
  • BNTM - and natnif

What group though - I cannot decide between
    the 8:30 and the 9:00? I would like 8:45 but
    should i think of one lap at 9:00 and then
    go ahead, or one lap at 8:30 and then fall
    back??