Christchurch 10k

HillyHilly ✭✭✭
Hi people,

Wasn't it cold!?

After the last few days fighting a sore throat I was a little worried about racing today. But me being me, there's not much to stop me once I've made up my mind.

I got to the race about an hour early. Plenty of time for a proper warm-up and use the loos before the crowds. There were only 6 porta-loos for 600 runners, so didn't want to have to queue for goodness knows how long. As it turned out, I don't think people waited that long.

Anyhow, warm consisted of 1 mile easy and a couple of fast strides. Felt ok at this stage and decided to just go for it.

I lined up at the start in my little race shorts, t-shirt under my vest and my gloves. Felt more than a little chilly, but the guys in front were big enough to shield me for a little while at least!

Hit mile 1 in 6.44, only a few seconds faster than what I was going to try and achieve. Was running with someone I know from another club, who has beaten me every race so far, by about 10 secs, so dedided to stay with her as long as possible. Mile 2 arrived in 6.52, 2 secs slower than I wanted, but still on target. My companion seemed to be breathing much harder than me, so I took this as a good sign. By mile 3 I was feeling very comfortable and hit it in 6.54. I didn't want to drop anymore secs, but I think we were running into a slight, very cold wind, which although wasn't much I was aware of it. By 3 1/2 miles I had dropped my companion, who I was hoping would do the pacing! On my own now, telling myself not to settle into comfort zone, hit mile 4 slighly faster in 6.51 and feeling strong. Wished I had someone to run with and could see another lady in the distance so decided to chase her down. I pushed on quite hard through to mile 5 in 6.49, another quicker mile. Only just over a mile to go and thinking I could still get sub 42mins if I pushed a bit harder. I did try! but the last mile was beginning to tell and although I didn't quite catch the lady in front, she couldn't have been more than 1 sec at finish. My finish time was 42:16 a PB by 31secs. Very pleased with that-sub 42 next year!

Got a christmas pudding and free soup for the effort. Also picked up an age group prize so good days work I believe.

Hope everyone else had a good run.

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say the winning man did it in 31mis...and the first lady took the course record in 35.11 I wish!
  • great running, hilly, and congrats on the PB!
  • Great effort that Hilly - huge PB improvement in less than ideal conditions. Well done.
  • Hilly,
    nice one, that's a lot to shave off your 10K PB, brilliant job.
  • Congratulations Hilly, great improvement which must be very satisfying; you''ve been sounding really positive about your running lately and it's obviously paying off, well done.
    More cider?
  • Well done Hilly,

Sub 42 is on the way.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! I definitely hope for a sub 42 next year. Must train a little harder!

Laura, I've had a few red wines lately, but still haven't even opened the cider. Shame on me!!
  • Well done Hilly, glad to here you accomplished another PB following your half marathon at Cheddar. Red wine is supposed to be good for you (if I keep telling myself this often enough I will start to believe it) - not sure about cider though, probably better to give it a miss! What's next for you? I'm having next Sunday off racing (only cos I can't find one to do!) then Wellington Monument on 22nd - now there's a hill that even you would agree was the business!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Lin,
    thanks! How did you get on today? Where's the Wellington Monument and how far is it?

I haven't got any races now until January, by which time I will have started marathon training. I wouldn't mind one more before xmas though!

I'm full of cold tonight. I've been fighting a sore throat for a few days and thought I'd nipped in the bud, but no such luck, after today's race I've now got the throat, nose and head. Oh well good excuse for an easy week! ANOTHER.
  • Well done Hilly. If you're really keen to get under 42 this year there's a mostly flat 10k in Epsom, Surrey 22/12 - there's a thread about it somewhere but I know there are no entries on the day.
  • Cant find the thread but try www.lara1940.freeserve.co.uk if you're interested.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Well done Hilly, I'm sure you'll be down to 40 mins soon.
    Sounds like you ran well, with all those mile splits fairly constant and having to pace the 2nd half yourself.
    You must have been fairly high up the ladies race?
  • Well done Hilly! Very good time as usual.
  • Bravo hilly. I could sense the cold wind between the sentences of your report. bad luck about the cold - I often find a good run precedes the onset of a lurgy.

Your PB has just leapfrogged mine!
  • Hilly well done.
    I looked out for your number whilst drinking my soup but didn't see you.Despite a sore throat etc myself, I was very pleased with my new PB of 44.09(by my watch) that was 2mins 30 odd better than my previous pb at the Boscombe run a few weeks ago.Having been running for one year I set myself a 45min target by the end of this year , so at least I have managed that. 42mins target next year!
    I think that was the best 10K course I have run,mainly because it was so flat, but no cars etc.
    You could still do the Round the Lakes 10K (at Poole Park) on Boxing Day to round of the year. However it is 4 laps and I don't think will be a pb course as will be a lot of runners.
    You could also give the Boscombe 5K a try on Friday the 13th!
    and of course the Braodstone Quarter Marathon on New Years Day!
    I am off sick today with even worse throat and cold....
    B
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Murf-thanks, if I lived closer I might consider it, but at this time of year it's always trying to fit in the races around other commitments.

Dustin-40 mins is a dream. I'm not sure I'll ever have that kind of speed.

I think I was 8th lady. The first 3 were all under 40 mins. I was also 4th in my age so picked up a prize. Christchurch is one of the best races I know for giving prizes. They go 6 deep in every catergory for the men and 5 deep for the women. The female 35 age group is one of the strongest in this area and the same for the men 40. Who says age is a barrier!

Thanks soph and sfh legs. Sorry (just a little bit) to leap frog your pb sfh legs!

Brian-that's an excellent pb! That's a huge chunk to take off a 10k time. Wait until next year!

I know what you mean about the cold, I too am off sick today with the lurgy. My chest feels a bit tight etc, but worth it for a pb!

As for Round the Lakes, I've done it for the past 3 years. It's ok, but so cold that icicles form on the end of your nose! Times aren't pb, but they are good. Mine was about 45 secs slower than Christchurch last year. Good luck if you're doing it! The same applies to Broadstone 1/4M. Not a bad course, but always very cold. Not that I mind that. I might do Broadstone. Finally, can't do Boscombe 5k as it,s my works xmas party night!
  • Well done with your pb - it certainly is a good course, I managed to take 70 seconds off my pb - which I achieved on the same course last year - and I feel that I could have done better than this judging by my mile splits against the last 10 mile race I did (glad the markers were in miles for this) - at least it didn't rain - I spent most of the time before the race deciding what to wear - mind you it is the first time we have had this problem this year as it has been so mild - I think this is about to change though.

Brian - congratulations to you as well.

Didn't we do well - cheers all round I think

Whizzy
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Whizzy! 70secs is very good. I too did not know what to wear, but settled for t-shirt, vest, shorts and gloves and I must say the gloves stayed on! I think it did rain a little bit, or was that after on the way home?

Quite a few mucky areas on the roads don't you think. For a road run I got very dirty!
  • I must admit I did give in and wear leggings, as you say, it was mucky in parts, at least they helped to keep my legs clean - shoes are a different matter!!

It is a race I enjoy as it is a good course and there is no pressure on as so many people do it just for the fun and the Christmas pudding - what other local races are you doing?

Whizzy
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Whizzy,
    I will most probably do Broadstone 1/4 marathon on Jan 1st. Next I'll do Milborne 10 also in Jan and then Blackmore Vale 1/2marathon in Feb as part of my marathon training. What about you, are you doing any of these?
  • Hilly - sorry for delay, I was off line last night. How is the throat/cold? Perhaps a hint from your body that it needs a short rest? Especially as the weather seems suddenly to have gone a bit arctic.
    Having said that if you fancy a 6.27m road race with a challenging hill the Wellington Monument Race is on 22/12 - starts in Hemyock, village just over Somerset/Devon border at 10.30am and you can enter on the day. Prizes for first 6 ladies, so who knows? It would be great to see you one more time in 2002 - doesn't sound as though our schedules are going to clash much early part of next year. Where/when is Blackmore Vale half? If not too far may be a pre Grizzly possibility?
    Wrap up warm and take it easy!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lin,
    I may pass on the Wellington Monument Race. My cold is much better-2 days rest does wonders! Plus I've decided to take a sort race break until Jan.

Blackmore would be a good pre Grizzly 1/2, as it's quite undulating!! It's in Feb, I'll let you know the date when I can get my diary-left it at work!

Speak soon, off to work now!