Training & Nutrition

Hi everyone, I'm new to this website and being new to running I'm after some advice regarding training and nutrition.
Firstly, I'll tell you a little bit about myself. I'm a mother to a teenage daughter, married - hubby is extremely fit, does triathlons and I also work full time. I started running in May of this year to get fit and to try and lose some weight, all under the watchful eye of hubby, but I'm afraid we are going to have to part company as trainer and pupil, he's far too disciplined and rigid in his workouts for me. But in fairness to him he does come running with me after I have finshed work just to keep me company and that's after he has done his own training.
Haven't lost any weight yet but have been bitten by the running bug and really enjoy running most of the time.
I have entered my first race, which is this Sunday - Great South Run, I'm quite nervous about it but also very excited. My number is 10417 and I am running for the charity Children with Leukaemia, along with hubby (who will probably finish within the hour), a work colleague and a friend, I'll probably be plodding along somewhere near the back - I hope to finish around the 1hr 45min mark.
I have found it very hard to stick to any sort of trainig programme, so any information on training and nutrition would be brilliant.
The problem is that I leave for work at 6.45 a.m. and do not get home until 6.45 p.m., 3 hours of that is spent travelling (can be longer if the trains are delayed). Also it is virtually impossible to do any running or any other kind of exercise in my lunchtime due to the location of my place of work plus the lack of changing/washing facilities.
At the moment my trainig consists of arriving home from work, changing into my running gear, grab a biscuit as I run out of the door, then run for 5 to 6 miles. Depending on what kind of day I've had at work my run is either quite pleasurable or a real slog. After getting back home I have someting to eat then generally fall asleep in the chair.
I am finding it hard to increase my mileage and a little confusing as to what to eat and when. Having read in various magazines to avoid late night meals and snacks and to eat at least 2 to 4 hours before a run. Also, early morning runs are better for you then late evening runs because they kick start your metabolism for the day. If I went early morning runnig I would have to get up at around 4.30 - 5.00 a.m. and sorry I'm not that dedicated!!
I find there's lots of dietary advice and motivation tips for people who work from 9.00 to 5.00 but have not been able to find any information for people who work outside these hours.
Surely there must be other runners out there with the same problems - how to you cope?

Comments

• My hubby comes straight home from work and goes up the athletic club for a run around 7 pm. He overcomes the food problem by taking a packed lunch - more like a hamper from the size of it. he has a snack when he arrives at work (toast and coffee from canteen), then starts the hamper mid morning with the day's treat (scone/buns), sandwiches and a bit of fruit for mid-day then mid to late afternoon he has the second treats (powerbar/frueslibar/jordan crunchy bar or similar) and more fruit - i try to put at least 3 bits of fruit in his hamper each day. I understand that he occasionally has a kitkat or other choc bar from the canteen mid afternoon when he's really peckish.
    I make up the lunch box the evening before and put it in the fridge overnight. It seems to survive with no complaints.
    After the run inthe evening he will have a half litre of sports drink and a powerbar or similar, then at home has a yogurt and bit of toast with marmite/jam/marmalade/honey before having his shower/nightly doze before bed.
  • PS - for breakfast he has a hefty bowl of meusli topped with all-bran and a chopped banana with a gallon or so of skimmed milk.
  • Thanks Dangly Spice for your information I will certainly try taking a pack lunch to work. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again
  • Well I take my hat off to you for having the energy/discipline to go out for a 6 mile run after such a long day. Just wondered whether it would be possible to get off the train a station too soon and run from there? Obviously assuming you don't have to cart home folders, laptops etc and can change before leaving work. Perhaps you could campaign for wash/change facilities at work; it's increasingly the norm.
    Best of luck for the race this weekend.
  • Laura L My pleas fall on deaf ears regarding wahing/changing facilities. Thanks for the idea about getting off the train a stop earlier - don't know why I didn't think of it myself.