Maidenhead Easter Ten

Has anyone any thoughts/previous experience of this event? It's a new one on me and I would like a bit more info if poss. Any musings appreciated.
Thankyou.

Comments

• Good one. Well attended, well marshalled. I've run the last two years and both times the weather was warm and sunny. They also have a mini-race for the kids and give them Easter egss. Its a nice run on quiet lanes and some bits totally away from road (across an old airfield). Not too undulating. A popular one in our area. Have a look at the Maidenhead AC website.
  • Thankyou for the info Kermit, entry now sorted. Might see you there.
  • Hello!
    I am comming over to London from Norway in Easter. I want to go by train to Maidenhead. Is it far from the railwaystation to the START?

Kind Regards Johannes Gjesdal, Varegg, Norway (jgjesdal@broadpark.no)
  • There is a station in Maidenhead but I'm not sure how far from the start it is. However, I may be able to help you........ I will e-mail you now.
  • The start is 3 miles from Maidenhead station. I'm afraid there's no direct bus service although there are taxis at the station. Turn left out of the front of the station and follow the signs to A4 Reading. With luck someone in a car will spot a fellow runner and give you a lift.

See you there - I'll probably be counting you in.

Gill Evans
    Maidenhead AC
  • I have e-mailed you with offer of transport. If you don't receive it, e-mail me via this forum.
  • Hurray - Have found somewhere to commit in black and white to doing this run!! This will be my first ever event - I started run/walking at the beginning of Jan and am now up to about 5 miles. Still have a few weeks to go so hoping that I manage it on the day. Really looking forward to it. I live in Flackwell Heath which is on top of a hill and am looking forward to a run that is relatively flat!
  • Hi Kimbo. Oh its so nice to hear someone say they're looking forward to a race!! I remember when I used to look forward to them, when I was young, keen and new to running. Now I have to force myself to enter them on the grounds that "it will do me good". However, afterwards, I am always really glad that I did!
    You are quite near to where I live. Do you currently run on your own? If you do, once you feel confident enough you should come down to Handy Cross Runners. There are people of every level so you'd always have someone to run with.
    I hope you ejoy the Maidenhead 10, but if you do find it a bit too far on the day, don't let it put you off. There is the Marlow 5 in May (its a pity its not before the 10 mile race really).
    Also, the local clubs have a series of 5k evening races from late April through to the end of the Summer - about every fortnight. You don't have to be a club member, you can pay your £1 and run as a guest.
  • Hi Kermit

I actually joined Handy Cross last year but couldn't do the speed work on Tuesdays (was a smoker at the time) and kind of drifted away, I even have the t shirt and white top!!!!. Am thinking of going back once I feel brave enough. Managed a 6.5 mile run on Sunday so feeling optomistic about Maidenhead (I am definitely a plodder, not wanting to break any records apart from my own!). Thanks for the message, are you a member of Handy Cross??

• Yes I am. They still do speed work on Tuesdays for those who want to - some people prefer to go for a steady run instead.
    Well done on your 6.5 on Sunday. It sounds as though you'll be alright for the distance at Maidenhead. I hope its not too warm this year - I'm a cold weather runner!
  • As this is my first race, have yet to decide whether or not I am a hot or cold weather runner! I think that once I have Maidenhead under my belt I will go back to HCR. Might see you there!
  • You must do a post-race report after Maidenhead, to let me know how you got on. I expect to be there - you'll probably see the Handy Cross huddle before the start!
  • should i do this race before the london marathon (which is the weekend after) or will it be too much before the big day (bearing in mind this is my first ever marathon)!?!

thanks!!
  • As long as you've recently done quite a bit of long distance running it shouldn't be too much at all. Just make sure you take it easy so you avoid pulling any muscles.
  • Genie,

I am first time London Marathoner and my training programme suugests a 10 mile race the weekend before so have entered. Hope this helps.
  • So... I did 1hr52 at Reading - my first half marathon.

This will be my first 10miler. What should I be aiming for - 1:30ish? Hope it's as flat as they claim!
  • Brilliant, thanks Martin I am entering right now... nice to run on a different day than sunday for a change :)

Spec well done! I did reading in 2hrs03 and that was my 2nd half marathon! I'm not the best runner in the world but I am of the mentality thats things can only get better?!
  • I am going to enter this - something for nice for Easter.
    Spec, did you check your 10 mile time while you were doing the Reading half? I finished it in 2 hours exactly and my 10 mile time was 1h30 (a PB for me and on course for 1h57 at that point but the Reading snows got to me in the last 3 miles!). You sound like you would be faster than that.

• Thanks Genie. I'd only managed 2:10 or so in training for Reading so, as you say, things do get better!

Ketty - I carefully took mile splits until 8m (68mins) then the sleet got in my eyes and I missed every marker after that!! Doh!

I'm secretly aiming for nearer to 1:25 at Maidenhead but 1:30 is what I put on the entry form.... Always the pessimist, lol. I'm into tempo runs now - ie running at pace for as long as I can, so I'll either fly round at Maidenhead or blow up. It's all good fun isn't it? ;)
  • Kermit,

Was just scanning this and saw your comment about the local 5k evening races. I live in Marlow and having been running about 12 months (primarily for general fitness but the races keep me motivated). I haven't bothered to join a local club (Marlow Striders or Handy Cross) because I'm away a lot during the week when they meet. But if I was free I'd love to join in. I read about them on one of the websites and got the impression that you had to be a member or guest of one of the clubs - could I really just turn up ?

Will be doing Easter 10 and Marlow 5 !!

• Just registered for the Maidenhead race. If anyone is driving from West or Central London (I am in W12) and willing to share a ride, I'd be most happy. Otherwise I'll just take the train and bike from Maidenhead railway station.

Bart
  • Tarq,

I've also not joined a club but have considered doing some of the 5ks. I'm told by a friend who runs them that they are good fun and turn into a bit of a social thing with people bringing their kids along etc.

I think they will be on Wednesdays at about 7.30pm but can't be certain.
  • Tarq/Spec
    The 5ks are mostly on a Tuesday. This is because most clubs run on a Tuesday anyway so, theoretically, don't have other things arranged and can turn out for the races. If you have a look at Handy Cross website and go to Results page, follow link for 5k races (Dave Waterman's 5k website). This gives you all the info on previous years. I don't think this years dates are confirmed yet. The first one is always at Wargrave (Cockpole Green). As it says on the website, pay your £1 guest money to the host club at the venue. There's always sandwiches, cake and tea/coffee/squash afterwards. Where else could you get all this for just £1, I hear you ask!!

I hope you find this helpful and manage to run some of the races.
  • Have any online entrants received their race packs yet ? Still waiting for mine.
  • BTW you might be interested in the Pednor 5 on Bank Holiday Monday (3rd May). Its a bit hilly but nice and friendly. Its in the evening and you'll find the details on RW events search.

I'm not on commission or anything for promoting races - its just that I think its a shame when there's a nice event put on but isn't that well supported, especially when people hear about it later and say they would have gone if they'd known. There are a number of races on Bank Hol Monday but this is one you might want to think about.
  • Sorry about the delay sending out race packs folks, we've had a couple of production hitches - now sorted. MAC had a mass 'stuffing session' last night and around 500 packs have hit the mail this morning. We expect to be back on schedule by the week end.

Hope you all have a good run,

Mick Fursedon
    (Race Director)
  • Tarq/Spec/Kermit

Dates for the 2004 5ks have just been set.

I'll give Dave Waterman a gentle prod to get the web site updated (he's probably doing it as I speak).

Mick
  • I enjoyed this race last year and would recommend it.

Aiming for somewhere around 1:10.

Skinny Whippet, you up for this??
  • Hiya BK, I've entered.... have had a few injury niggles recently so not sure how fast/slow I am at the mo - will update you next week...