Duathlon Novice Events?

Hi,

I've been running on a fairly regular basis (injuries permitting) for a year or so and since getting hold of a secondhand race bike, quite fancied trying a couple of Duathlons. Can anyone recommend any suitable events for the novice (ideally Hampshire/South UK).

Cheers,

Rod

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Fleet Leisure centre hosted one on Bank Holiday Monday (5k/20k/6k) which I was going to do , but family commitments meant otherwise. I think they may do another in the spring. (Which will give me a chance to lose the stabilisers on the bike!).

Meantime I'm keeping an eye on the events listings.....

BTW I've not done one either but fancy the challenge (Tri's are out - I can't swim).
  • Dustin, I understand the family commitment problem (I have 2yrs + 11mths kids also). I found about and entered the "Thruxton Mass Attack" (Sounds a bit serious eh!?) on Oct 27th. It's a 5k/30k/5k (www.conceptsport.co.uk)Not quite sure what I've let myself in for , but what the hell, I've thrown up on better finishing lines than Thruxton! (Romsey 5, Eastleigh 10k etc....) So if you're up for it let me know. Did a steady 5k run followed by 10k bike last night to get the hang of run followed by bike and plan to follow on over the next few weeks. Sounds like your running experience is greater than mine, but I've always just enjoyed entering events for the fun of it...
    Cheers for your reply.

Rod
  • Sounds good , I'll check it out , but if I remeber correctly I think that week we will be on holiday in Cyprus, so another great plan out the window.
    (BTW - 2 girls first is 4 1/2 other was 1 last week..)

Still haven't ridden the bike for months.....
  • Here’s a couple

22-Sep-02
    National Fire Open Duathlon
    Distances: 5k 30k 5k (RBR)
    Organiser: "Peter Crook, 64 Allbrook Knoll, Eastleigh, Hampshire SO50 4RY"
    Cost: £19.00
    Phone: (023) 8036 5636
    Email: crookyp@aol.com
    Web: http://www.hantsfiretri.com/

27-Oct-02
    Thruxton Mass Attack Duathlon -- DATE CHANGE
    Distances: 5k 30k 5k (RBR)
    Organiser: "Roger Wakeling, Concept Sport, PO Box 16, Romsey, Hampshire SO51 9ZU"
    Cost: £13.95
    Email: conceptsport@aol.com
    Web: http://www.conceptsport.co.uk/

Will
  • Thanks Will,

I've already entered the Thruxton Mass Attack. Have you entered this event before? I was wondering what the standard was like.

Also, on a more practical note - do you run in your cycling shorts or cycle in running shorts or is there some type of lightweight padded shorts that I don't know about?

Cheers, Rod
  • Dustin,

You'll be cycling to the bars in Cyprus then I imagine...?
  • Hi, you could try the 'Surrey slog' on Oct 12th a 5k,20k,5k which is a nice beginners distance. Contact number is 07876502107 or go to The Triathletes Homepage and do a search under Duathlons. There are still three or four in the south this year. Good luck and remember to save a bit for the second run.
  • Rod, sorry dont know of any Duathlons in your area but can I recommend something on training? Rather than practice the run then bike transition, practice the bike then run because thats the painful one. Getting on the bike after your first run is fine but after getting your legs used to cycling for 30k then trying to run is like running on somebody elses legs. Best to get used to it before the race.
  • Thanks Andrew, That event seems more realistic for me. When does the season usually end for Duathlons?
  • Boot,

Funny you should say that. I've had the same advice from other runners. So far I've been practicing the Run/Bike. This weekend I'll try the Bike/Run - still not sure what the most appropriate kit is for these events -any suggestions?

Cheers
    Rod
  • anyone out there got any training plans for a novice duathlete? ive just seen one advertised 2.5m/12m/2.5m and as i can now run this distance after completing the runners world walk /run plan, thought id like to give it a go!
    Im not so sure how to go about it... any advice?
  • Duathlons are tricky, some people go for padded cycling shorts, some for running shorts. I guess between the two its cycling shorts if you can stand running in them. Other than that you could try a pair of Triathlon shorts, they have slim padding so it gives you some protection but not enough for you to notice it on the run. They are however made out of swim suit type material - but that shouldnt put you off. I have an excellent pair of De Soto tri shorts but theres loads of makes out there (De Soto can be a bit expensive).

Hope this helps
  • Thanks Boot, Been looking for some online stockists of De Soto gear and only came up with a cycling organisation in Scotland with a very limited stock (Red or Titanium...no thanks). Do you know of any other online stores that have a decent stock? Cheers, Rod
  • Thanks for the tips guys.
    Andrew - the Surrey slog sounds ideal, I will investigate further.

Best I do the following
    (a) get out on the bike this year
    (b) practice bike then running
    (c) get some decent shorts
    (d) panic !
  • My triathlon club is associated to a shop which does mail order tri kit, unfortunately you cant buy online but I know they do De Soto kit. Go to www.53-12.com for contact details, Ed and Claire run it and are really helpful (probably not there this weekend though as Ed is doing the Llanberis Half Iron Man). Otherwise www.triandrun.com have an online shop but it doesnt look like they do De Soto, also there is www.triuk.com.

Good luck
  • Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I'll just have to get on and do it now!

Cheers all,

Rod
  • Of course theres always the 'Ball Buster' on Nov 2nd. 5 times eight mile laps of the lovely Box Hill in Surrey. One run three bike and one run. Good fun and not as hard as it seems. If you can do a 2 hour steady run and 30 mile bike ride (on an undulating course) then this is within your capability.