Shoe Manufacturers

I am a regular visitor to the Oxfam 'Make Trade Fair' website and was concerned to read a report on the manufacturing practices of the above companies, and others already known about!

The report can be found by clicking here.

As an Asics runner I don't want my fitness and enjoyment to come at the cost of the health and quality of life of those who make my shoes.

Have a look at the site if you're interested and post any thoughts and comments. I have already emailed the companies about my concerns and if their practices don't improve I will need to find alternative running wear.

And for those that think these campaigns are a waste of time, then you only need to look at the successes that have already been achieved by pressure - commercial and political in other areas, e.g. Fairtrade labelled goods such as coffee and bananas.

Surely if we runners reject these type of practices by not buying certain shoes they will change their business practices?

I think it is often forgotten how powerful consumers can be, if they can be a***ed to do something about it!

Comments

• Thats interesting & depressing at the same time. I'd long since avoided Nike for similar reasons (they even refuse to allow inspectors into their sweatshops) and now it looks like plenty more to add to the list.

Looks like I'll be sticking entirely with New Balance from now on - they are making an effort to produce all of their kit in factories in the UK and US (although this means it'll probably fall apart on contact with sweat!) and the last 2 pairs of shoes I've bought have both been classed vegan friendly (not sure what that means though!)!
  • NB are the business. V nice shoes and very durable.
  • Thanks for the tip on NB - looks like I could be using these once the Asics have reached their 300-400 mile lives.

Anyone an idea how Saucony do in terms of manufacturing?
  • No but I'm pretty sure they're made in the pacific rim somewhere.

Best NB buying tip is try ringing the factory shop in Shap for bargains
  • They could do the same as Maccy's and stop selling them in such large sizes!!!

Sorry, thats facecious. I agree it's bad.

Having in the factory in the US hoever, does nothing for taking there workers out of poverty. Read 'Fast Food Nation' by Eric Stultz and see what happens under our own noses!