Right...

I can run 10 miles comfortably. Is it worth me trying to increase my mileage for the Windsor, or should I just try and maintain the work that I have already put in and rest myself a little to avoid overtraining?

Ta

Jon

Comments

• Jon,

Stop bloody worrying!!!!

If you can run 10 comfortably then the extra 3.1 should be OK provided that you don't go off too fast and crash and burn later. (I know you're sensible (?) and won't do this).

If it bothers you then why not do a 12 or 13 miler this weekend. It might just give you the confidence you need. And there's still plenty of time to go before the day.

All the best,

RB
  • I agree with Ratbag, so go for it!
  • I can't help it! I know it's pathetic (and you're all probably not going to read any other messages from me because you'll think it's related to Windsor!), but I can't stop looking at the countdown on the site, thinking about running when I get home from work etc... etc...

Jon
  • Jon

In Hal Higdon's 1/2marathon programme, the longest long run you should do is 10 miles. So, hey, you're on top of the programme!

Neil
  • Blimey! Ok... Cheers Neilruns!
  • If it's your first half then try a 13 this weekend, it will do your confidence the world of good.
  • The only half I did my long runs were an 8 and a 12. I ran out of ooomph at 11 cause I hadn't done the miles and I went off too fast.

If you are really worried do a 14 as your long run then that will be taken care of. Just remember on the day not to get to your target pace over the first couple of miles and you'll do great.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Just relax and don't worry. If you can do 10 miles you can do 1/2m. It might not be a pb, unless of course it's your first 1/2 and if that's the case there's always another time to up your mileage and go for a new pb at a different race. Good luck and enjoy the run!
  • Jon
    Wish I could run 10 miles. Git.
    The last 3.1 will be a doddle. Adrenalin, loads of others to run with. No worries mate. rest, relax and prepare to gloat.
    The creations are graet thanks.
    They're tucked up in bed. Dreaming of fields and things.
  • Since it's your debut I wouldn't worry too much as you can comfortably do the 10 miles.

If you won't be able to sleep at nights I'd go along with the suggestion of doing maybe an EASY 12 miler this week (at the latest) to put your mind at rest.However the down side is that if you have an off day and feel sluggish (obviously unlikely) then this would only harm your confidence.

Agree with the suggestion that the atmosphere, fellow forumites and the crowds will be worth at least the 3 extra miles.
    When I first ran London (to get round) I was told that the runners and crowd were worth an extra 5-10 miles on their own.It proved to be true....

Good luck and CU there....
  • Thanks kids! Last night I decided not to run and this morning I feel on top of the world! I looked back at my diary and realised that I've run 11 days without a day off!!! Hmmm!!! No one to blame but myself! I s'pose the reason why, is that I am a little preoccupied with the distance thing! I have a week off next week, so I guess it's gonna be me and my trusty Polar M21!!!

Thanks again folks!

Jon