RH-Half - How fast should I go?

Hi,
Would appreciate some advice, as I'm about to run my first half-marathon(Robin Hood).
I've been running several years (PB for 10k about 41 mins), but never done a half-marathon.
My training has been going well and I feel pretty good, but not sure how to pace myself. I was originally thinking of aiming for around 1:35-1:40 pace, but I see that there are RW Pacesetters, and I'm debating whether to go for the 1:30 pace. (My company is sponsoring the event so I'm keen to put on a good effort in front of lots of friends and family!).
I ran most of the course yesterday and realised the middle section is pretty hilly (I think I have spent too much time running along the river and towpaths).
Any thoughts on whether a 1:30 pace will kill me? I don't want to run 10 miles and then collapse. How much "extra" might I get from race conditions (eg support, drinks, good prep, etc)? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Paul,

The following link may be useful to you:

http://www.onrunning.com/trainingcamp/predictor.asp

Based on your 10k time a 1:30 1/2 is a realistic goal.

At the start of last year my 10k PB was just under 41 minutes. Ended up with a sub 1:25 1/2 marathon PB.

The Robin Hood is not that hilly, especially when you're racing. The downhill parts are very fast which compensates.

Go for it!
  • Hi Paul,

Listen to Drew, a very knowledgable forumite in my opinion. I would go along with the view that a 1:30 is very realistic. Maybe go with the pacing group, but dont be surprised if you feel strong and push on yourself in the last couple of miles.

I understand that there are a few thousand runners in this race, so finding the RW pacing group of 1:30 at the start would also be a good plan.